[OUTDATED] Fire Emblem: Dream of Five

AstraLunaSol

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, that 'Thank you for saving us' line is kind of bland. I suspect I never got to actually writing it. Remind me to write something for that.

What do those items do, exactly? Are they promotion items, or statboosters? And what classes/stats do they promote/boost?

Alright, some news guys.

I'm going to be working on a completely fresh rom so that I can have more organization, and due to the fact that I had this weird promoting glitch. (Basically what happens is that if I try to promote a character in the prep screen, they will promote, then right after, it restarts the game)

If you guys have any things on gameplay balance, item balance or the such, feel free to post them in the thread. (I have toned down the difficulty in the first 9 chapters a tad already, but you guys can still say something)

if your turning down the diffculty a little bit(which is all it needed) then i don't really see anything that needs to be changed entirly.

Well...there are some things that Anouleth's LP pointed out that made...well...let me just take some quotes from it.

Renair sections

"For a woman of common birth, she has an extraordinarily fruity name. Maybe she turns out to be an exotic dessert? "I was almost taking it seriously and then I remembered that her full name is Renair audre Draiche."

"If anyone should be embarassed, it's you, Renair "I 3HKO Bandits and don't double" audre Draiche. Furetchen did most of the work and you know it."" I'm not surprised you've gotten no distinction, since somehow you're still level 1 after "years of service". Did you just get Furetchen to kill everything?" "God, this is so easy!" *hides behind Furetchen as he soloes the level*

I don't have any huge issues with this entirly...i think its just more of me not liking Renair at all.

Well...there are some things that Anouleth's LP pointed out that made...well...let me just take some quotes from it.

Renair sections

"For a woman of common birth, she has an extraordinarily fruity name. Maybe she turns out to be an exotic dessert? "I was almost taking it seriously and then I remembered that her full name is Renair audre Draiche."

"If anyone should be embarassed, it's you, Renair "I 3HKO Bandits and don't double" audre Draiche. Furetchen did most of the work and you know it."" I'm not surprised you've gotten no distinction, since somehow you're still level 1 after "years of service". Did you just get Furetchen to kill everything?" "God, this is so easy!" *hides behind Furetchen as he soloes the level*

I don't have any huge issues with this entirly...i think its just more of me not liking Renair at all.

I don't think any of those are actual issues. Her name's a little funny, and she starts off as a level 1 lord that starts off a bit weak? Most lords are like that, and unlike a lot of other lords, Renair seems to pan out into a good unit fairly quickly. Anouleth was probably just making jokes, not actual critiques.

Renair's surname has a reason in existence that may seem out of place now, but will makes sense later on.

And most people are not efficient players, thus will actually give Renair kills.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Renair's surname has a reason in existence that may seem out of place now, but will makes sense later on.

And most people are not efficient players, thus will actually give Renair kills.

RENAIR IS TOTALLY NOT A SECRET PRINCESS. AT ALL GUYS

Maybe show the Tent Girl sooner. She seems to come out of nowhere, but it's more forgiving with the fortune teller. Like maybe just have her show up in a house or something.

Uh, the Tent girl shows up in a prologue village. Is that not soon enough for you? Should we move her to the title screen?

She is obviously the most important character of the game. She should be.

Well looks like I missed something.

Well, if you're redoing the ROM and looking for comment, I guess now is a good time to post my Musain playthrough.

Progress before the route split

[spoiler=Chapter 7A]

[Chapter 7A: For the Fallen]

Turns: 20

Loot: Speedwings, stolen potion, short spear, blue gem

Purchases: Iron lance, Heal staff, Rapier

Funds: 420g (sold Talisman)

Apparently, I can check the contents of shops on the map preview screen. Who knew?

Turn 1, I buy some stuff, sell the talisman from chapter 6 to rustle up funds for that sexy rapier, and Lia and Astra chat. Then the team cuts their way to the chest room, where Gabriel uses a chest key to loot the speedwings. Meanwhile, Astra, Juan, Crowe, and Lia hold off the stream of cavalier reinforcements. Everyone else continues up the hallway, where they invade the other treasure room. Then they push over to the boss, where Gabriel and Ilanice are super useful against the mages. Kolbane and Furet weaken the boss, and Lumi murders his face.

Furet gains S bows. Wowza. Ilanice advances to B lances. Felix gets B dark magic. Lia gains B staves.

Lumi/Kolbane and Renair/Furet reach B support. Lia/Astra initiate C support.

Stats:

Name		Lvl	HP	Str	Skl	Spd	Lck	Def	Res	Wep Rank	Support
Renair		13.25	27	13	11	15	10	6	4	Swd A		Furet B
Kolbane		13.22	33	14	13	18	11	8	3	Swd A		Lumi B
Furetchen	2.73	37	17	10	10	6	10	4	Ax C Bow S	Renair B
Ilanice		9.91	25	9	11	15	11	6	7	Swd E Lnc B	Juan C
Amelia		14.48	25	16	14	11	7	7	13	Anima B		-
Chester		5.19	21	6	11	14	10	5	4	Swd D		-
Crowe		11.2	28	16	11	13	3	6	1	Bow B		-
Lia		13.40	22	13	11	11	12	4	10	Staff B		Astra C
Lumi		12.37	29	11	14	16	5	11	3	Swd B		Kolbane B
Gabriel		10.31	27	14	9	11	9	7	13	Dark B		-
Juan		9.43	29	12	8	10	6	12	3	Lnc C		Ilanice C
Astra		11.47	33	13	9	9	6	15	3	Ax B		Lia C

Hmm... who to give that speedwing to? Looks like Amelia, Gabriel, Juan, or Astra.

Juan, I am disappointed at your fail level there, bro.

Crowe has monster strength. He matches Amelia's but is 3 levels lower. Whoa.

[spoiler= Chapter 8A]

[Chapter 8A: Salvation]

Turns: 14

Loot: None

Purchases: Iron lance

Funds: 60g

Renair's diary: Today I almost died, got felt up by a creepy enemy commander, and then was rescued by a Nephenee lookalike. All this for Astra's sake. That fucker owes me like ten bottles of scotch.

Wait, where was I? Oh right. The map.

It seems I have two choices: head up through sparsely-defended territory and over a snag to reach Cullahan easily, or head left and face piles of enemies and the boss.

... Left it is!

Renair, her rescuer, and her two loyal chumps mow their way to the boss, engaging him on turn 8. Juan uses Seren's killer lance to impale Groper McGroperface with two most excellent crits. After that, the team mops up various enemies and makes for the north. Juan buys an extra iron lance and polishes off the three remaining enemies on the island while Renair talks to Cullahan, ending the chapter.

Bugs: The boss will speak at the end of turn 10, even though I murdered him previously.

Stats:

Renair		13.98	27	13	11	15	10	6	4	Swd A		Furet B
Juan		12.13	32	14	10	12	8	14	3	Lnc B		Ilanice C
Lia		15.34	23	14	12	12	13	5	11	Staff B		Astra C
Seren		9.41	28	10	11	12	9	9	5	Lnc C		-

Juan was clearly the MVP of this chapter. He gained three levels, three HP, two points in every stat except resistance, topped everyone but Astra in defense, and tore the boss a new one. Mega respect.

Seren is unimpressive. She's like Ilanice, but without flying, swords, or quite as much speed. She'll likely get left behind if she can't grow well.

[spoiler= Chapter 9A]

[Chapter 9A: Convergence]

Turns: 10

Loot: Veritas

Purchases: N/A

Funds: 60g

This is a really fun chapter. Due to the music, my rejoining allies, a sweet sword, a new bard character, AND a mobile boss, it numbers among my favorites.

Renair, Juan, Lia, and Seren stay together most of the time, clearing out the starting area. They're joined by Ilanice and Amelia, who I decide to keep out of the eastern dragon territory (attempting such became the cause of a few resets.) Lumi and Gabriel do just fine cutting down the enemies near them. Chester and Crowe have a funny little dialogue and are able to handle the axe bandits with a little fort dancing. Then Furet and Kolbane appear, and visit the houses to recruit Adrian and grab the Veritas. After some more slaughter, the boss shows up, and I pull back and then engage him on the following turn. Amelia softens him and Juan critkills for the win.

Also, Amelia gains A anima rank and Juan gains A lances.

Stats:

Renair		14.36	27	13	11	16	11	6	4	Swd A		Furet B
Kolbane		13.43	33	14	13	18	11	8	3	Swd A		Lumi B
Furetchen	2.94	37	17	10	10	6	10	4	Ax C Bow S	Renair B
Ilanice		10.27	26	10	12	15	11	6	8	Swd E Lnc B	Juan C
Amelia		14.99	25	16	14	11	7	7	13	Anima A		-
Chester		5.41	21	6	11	14	10	5	4	Swd D		-
Crowe		11.54	28	16	11	13	3	6	1	Bow B		-
Lia		16.60	23	15	13	13	14	5	11	Staff B		Astra C
Lumi		13.13	30	12	15	16	6	11	4	Swd A		Kolbane B
Gabriel		11.36	28	15	10	12	9	7	13	Dark B		-
Juan		14.26	34	15	11	13	9	16	3	Lnc A		Ilanice C
Seren		10.38	29	11	12	13	9	10	5	Lnc C		-	
Adrian		1.30	17	1	2	11	12	3	3	-		-

Kolbane, Juan, and Amelia are great as always. Lumi and Gabriel proved this chapter that I really don't need to worry about them too much anymore - they can hold their own. I wonder if they can support, since they showed up together in this chapter. Crowe and Ilanice need a little love from me, since they're lower than the other folks, but definitely worth training. Lia now has the highest level in the group. She is a lifesaver. Chester is really only there for unlocking stuff, but he's managed to stay out of trouble despite his low level. I still haven't decided what to do about Seren. She had a good level-up, at least. Also, I need to work on supports.

[spoiler=Chapter 10A]

[Chapter 10A: Liberty]

Turns: 16

Loot: 6000g, Heavy Spear, stolen lockpick

Purchases: Heal staff, Restore staff, Potion x 3, Fire Tome, Iron sword x 3, Steel sword x 3, Iron lance x2, Iron bow, Hand axe

Funds: 6671g

Prep: Hurray, more trade functions have been unlocked! I sell Chester and Adrian's blue gems for 10k gold. Astra uses the speedwings, boosting his 9 speed to 11. Finally, I choose to bench Furet, and as much as it pains me, Amelia.

Map: WTF SHOPS IN RANGE OF SIEGE TOME? RAAEEGG

*reset*

Right, so. Everyone advances while Lia buys herself some staves and Renair grabs some swords. The rest of the purchases go to the convoy. At the stairs, Astra, Felix, Seren, and Adrian go left, while the others head to the right. Here's where things get stupid. At the time, I figured keeping the NPCs alive would garner a reward, so I did not free the captive men, and I rescued Vallans and Merriway. Fighting my way up the map without their help probably cost me a number of turns. I also forgot to buy a door key to let Enjo out, which means Chester had to loot the chests and then hoof it over to Enjo's door before the reinforcements came out. I didn't know Astra could talk to Enjo to get the latter his PRF tome, either. Oops! I'll have to replay this chapter sometime now that I know better.

Gabriel and some other folks soften the boss, and Ilanice takes the kill. The end.

Other notes:

LumixKolbane A support. :3 So cute.

CrowexKolbane C.

Lia reaches A staves.

Seren B lances.

Bugs: Again, Ducann is back, even though Juan murdulated him back in Chapter 8A.

Stats:

Renair		14.45	27	13	11	16	11	6	4	Swd A		Furet B
Kolbane		14.06	34	15	13	19	11	9	3	Swd A		Lumi A, Crowe C
Furetchen	2.94	37	17	10	10	6	10	4	Ax C Bow S	Renair B
Ilanice		12.91	26	10	12	17	11	6	9	Swd E Lnc B	Juan C
Amelia		14.99	25	16	14	11	7	7	13	Anima A		-
Chester		5.51	21	6	11	14	10	5	4	Swd D		-
Crowe		12.67	28	16	11	14	3	7	1	Bow B		Kolbane C
Lia		19.55	25	16	14	15	14	5	11	Staff A		Astra C
Lumi		13.73	30	12	15	16	6	11	4	Swd B		Kolbane A
Gabriel		12.63	28	16	10	13	10	7	14	Dark B		-
Juan		15.48	35	16	12	13	9	17	3	Lnc A		Ilanice C
Seren		12.63	30	12	12	14	9	11	5	Lnc B		-	
Adrian		2.93	18	1	2	12	12	3	4	-		-
Karina		10	30	2	6	6	10	6	2	-		-

Seren's doing okay, so I'll keep growing her. Lia is almost ready to promote - I hope she gets a promotion item in the upcoming patch.