Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 24: The Schism

Phoenix

Villainy afoot

We've marched quite far for a few days Njordjenka reflected to himself, looking up from a tome he was reading from a bed in an inn.

Since they started marching a few days ago, Njordjenka, Geraro, Ferris, and a small band of them arrived at a small town. There was a forest nearby the town that their enemy would have to go through in order to get to the town if they came in that direction.

It would be a perfect spot for an ambush.

Njord hadn't seen Geraro or Ferris much since they arrived at the town. He didn't particularly care. He didn't like Geraro, and Ferris always valued his privacy so it didn't bother him. It would give him more time to study his magic.

His thoughts traveled towards Elle. Whether or not she was alive or if she was, whether or not she spilled anything.

I hope she's alive. She's been generous towards me and I haven't returned the favor yet. So that's another objective on our list...well mine anyway.

-----------------

Awakening

Sadie awoke, covering her eyes as the sun shone directly at them. Licking her lips and rubbing her eyes, Sadie came out of her room and decided to look for Arrin. She checked the various rooms until she found the right one. Arrin appeared to be studying the same book they looked at and bought yesterday.

"Good morning," she said cheerfully, yawning a little bit after.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some more reading, Beau felt himself growing more sociable and thusly in a better mood to speak with his friend. After putting the tome away and pulling on his boots again, he checked himself in a quick check of presentability before he left his room in search of the crimson thunder-wielder. Uncertain as to which room was his, the young heir made his way downstairs to the commonroom...where a plethora of events were occurring. One of the wyvern riders was carefully counting gold next to a wad of green blanket in which were two large eggs and something pale yellow in color. Near him were a few other rough-looking men and on one of their heads was a red, little wyvern. Across the table from them was a man with black armor talking with a ban with black robes. Tessa was interjecting her thoughts, it looked like, and was conversing with them. (Curious.)

Milling about were some others and here-and-there at other tables were people keeping to themselves. One of these people was Arrin's sister. Surely she would know which room Arrin was staying in and he wasn't in the common room. That only increased the odds that he was either in his room or out someplace else. Seeing as his sister and Tessa were both in the common room, it was unlikely Arrin would be out on any sort of errand. So, he walked up to Kelas and remarked, "Many of our company certainly seem to be busy this morning. How are you, Ms. Kelas?"

Common Room

Looking to Tessa for barely a second, Ixion replied. The rest of his speaking was spent looking at the various concerned individuals.

Ixion: Damian was properly instructed and checked out with no serious issues. While the training is effective for its purpose, there are side effects that Damian will have to overcome. However given the severity of the situation prior to treatment, I'd judge this as phenomenal progress.

He had thought to return to speaking to Lev but was a bit bothered by the situation so instead turned to face those who had listened to his first tidbit.

Ixion: ... do you not think you're overreacting here? Damian is a trained Haltonian soldier in possession of a demonic lance. What used to be savage attempts on your lives has devolved into a mere momentary vice grip, and yet there are those among you with the utter ignorance to complain? I suggest you open your eyes. Damian is most likely experiencing intense residual images from the treatment, as to be expected from someone who isn't ... me. If it were anything more serious than that, there would already be casualties here.

Kalten

"<I doubt they'd be foolish enough to think that manufactured infantry would do them any good,>" Borodin replied. "<On the other hand, if this magician of theirs can pull something bigger out of his hat, they may have a cause for more confidence, though not much of it. I'll have to think on that.>" She wasn't sure exactly what they would bring, but this was a possibility she hadn't really explored yet. "<However, I have things to check over before it gets too dark out. I'll speak with you later.>" She dismissed Zolkov with a hand-wave and left her office, heading to one of the exits leading to the walls of the palace. The upper levels housed various aeries for riding mounts and work animals; after quite a bit of walking she reached her own preferred mount, a compact pegasus gelding. The pegasi kept were a different breed from the southern pegasi, with thick double coats that seemed almost wooly. This was merely a riding mount; Borodin wouldn't trust the animal anywhere near battle, but she was only going to survey the land around the palace anyway, so she wasn't bothered. She picked up cold-weather gear and saddled up, heading out to survey the grounds.

The ground looked the same as ever, all rock and snow. What could the mercenaries be planning? There was nothing to work with; the fortress had the high ground, so they could not do much with an avalanche. Mere beasts would do nothing against the walls, nor would they be able to undermine the stone foundations. Some unnatural beast of the air? Orteiga would handle that... however, she was not sure they knew about Orteiga. That was possible.

She continued to circle, contemplating, until the alarm bell indicating that sunset was imminent sounded and her pegasus instinctively wheeled around to head for home. This would require more thought, and more research on the subject of fabricated monsters...

Upstairs

"...that can't be right... Hm? Oh, good morning," Arrin mumbled absently a few seconds after Sadies' greeting. "Er, when'd you get here?" He was confused; he hadn't left the door open, had he? What time was it? He shook his head, trying to return to the real world from his work for a moment. "What's going on?" He wasn't sure he wanted the distraction, really; he'd been working on the section heading, and it didn't seem like he had the right decoding, he needed to investigate...

Downstairs

"Wha? Oh," Kelas mumbled, pulled away from watching the somewhat strange proceedings by Beau's greeting. "'m fine," she replied blearily. "A bit hung over." She attempted to wipe any indicator of her current mood from her face; she wasn't about to tell random people what was going on. "You doing all right?"

The young bishop nodded as he replied, somewhat conerned, "Yes, I am quite well, thank you. I am sorry to hear about your hangover, however. The symptoms aren't impairing you too much, are they?" (She really should be resting if it is straining her too much...and, oddly enough, that works in my favor. Though I regret that it must be at her expence. She is quite the reliable sister, it seems. I did not think her an alcohlic, though.)

"I'll live," Kelas said simply. "Wish they hadn't switched up the drink trays by mistake, but nothing to be done about that now." She didn't add anything else regarding the circumstances in which she'd got drunk; while the others might have seen, she certainly wasn't going to be spreading that around... though the awkwardness quickly gave way to the weight of the knowledge of what she was allowing to happen. She sighed; maybe it would be better if she weren't talking to anyone for a while, but she didn't really want to go back outside at the moment. Upstairs was certainly out of the question.

"I see; that explains it," Beau nodded as he began to understand the situation, "I did not think you were an alcoholic. Perhaps, though, you should lie down a bit longer. That might help." (Whether she decides to do so or not, with her reply will come my opportunity to ask after Arrin. I do hope she rests, though. Hangovers seem to be painful experiences.)

"Don't think I'll be able to sleep any more than I already did," Kelas replied with a shrug. "I'll be all right." She'd need to go upstairs eventually to retrieve her things, but... not yet. Not with Miranda still there. She took another sip of tea, hoping that the headache would eventually go away on its own, since it didn't seem to be responding to the tea anymore.

"Very well. If that is the case, then could you please direct me to Arrin's room? He isn't down here and I don't know which one he has taken," Beau asked politely, already thinking of various things to ask and speak to the thunder sage about when he found him.

Blast. Can't avoid going upstairs, apparently, Kelas thought, getting to her feet all the same. "I'm not really sure which room was his, shouldn't be too hard to find, though," she told Beau, heading upstairs. "Hopefully he's not still asleep."

She was right about finding the room quickly; Arrin's door was open, and he was talking to Sadie. "Mornin'," she told Arrin with a wave, and left Beau at the door. Rubbing her temples to try and ward off the inevitable increase in headache and general misery, she headed back to the room she'd been staying in and knocked on the door. "You still there?" she asked, not sure whether she wanted an answer.

Morgan

"In and of itself, a few over-firm grips and bad memories are no issue. My concern is that they may be indicative of a larger problem. If Gae-Borg's surpression is only temporary, Damian could go into a berserk rage at any time really. I do not recall any of Flemeth's "treatments" having such side effects," Morgan remarked candidly after Ixion spoke.

Charlotte

Charlotte nodded after what Helios said. "I think I understand. Let's go downstairs now," she said to the sage, leaving her room. Peering down the stairs, she saw some unfamiliar figures in the common room.

"Hmm, on second thought this may not be the best time to bring this up. That man looks somewhat familiar...what is he doing here?" she asked Helios, looking backwards and gesturing towards the blond haired man.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Thank you, Ms. Kelas," Beau farwelled as the nomadic woman left him at his destination. It seemed Sadie had beaten him to meeting with the thunder sage, however. That made things somewhat difficult, but it wasn't something he couldn't work around. Not that working around it would be easy. Walking into the room, he greeted the two, nodding to each in turn. "Good morning Arrin. Ms. Sadie."

Downstairs

Ixion: I was not trained to be a "magician of the wilds". My training was geared toward the mentality of warfare, which is more suitable for Damian given his occupation and the severe time restraints we were working under. Any other method demanded more time than we had available. As I said, this is only a side effect, and won't become any more of an issue than you people or Damian himself make of it.

Turning back to Levski at last, Ixion got on with what he was close to getting into before.

Ixion: I'll need to deal with the wyvern now while there's no one around to protest, so if you'll excuse me for just a moment.

Levski quickly stood up and blocked Ixion's path.

Lev: Yeah, I'm protesting here. You don't think things are going to be difficult enough with your forcing her to do this? We're talking about Kiev here.

Ixion: Kiev's chances of surviving in the upcoming battle are too low for me to allow her to use him as her mount.

Lev: She's not ready to ride the female yet.

Ixion: Get out of my way, and I'll see to that.

Lev: What are you going to do, huh? Jack her entire brain up and fill it with false memories of Irina?

Ixion: That won't be necessary, the memories are already there.

Lev: ... what?

Ixion: ... that wyvern you captured; you have no idea yet just how fortuitous such a catch is. The "pink wyvern" as you call her, her name is Nikita. She belongs to a Zaftran royal who goes by the name Pressha. I don't know where she went yet or how they were separated, but Nikita is a very well trained wyvern. Far more trained than any of the wyverns in the IM's possession.

Lev: She sure doesn't act like it, though she does show some signs of domestication.

Ixion: She has been on her own long enough to assume she is free, but she is no stranger to the reins of captivity. As I said, the memories are there, all Nikita needs is to have all sensory information of Pressha replaced with Irina, and all of that knowledge is already in her mind as well. All I need to do is swap things as necessary.

Lev sighed.

Lev: ... I'd argue principle but you obviously don't give a damn.

Ixion: Correct. This isn't the time for people's preferences.

Upstairs

Miranda had spoken to Iso for a few more minutes before feeling she had just about covered every angle Ixion might try on him. Of course before she was dead sure a knock came on the door. It was Kelas.

Iso!Miranda: Uh-Show time!

She quickly pulled Iso in close and planted a quick kiss on his lips before breaking off, spinning him around so roughly that he nearly lost his balance, and forced him to the door as she opened it!

Iso!Miranda: Break a leg!~

Iso: Gaugh!

She shoved Iso right out the door and into Kelas and didn't bother checking for any injuries as she shut the door back.

"Whoa!" Kelas was not expecting the door to open so quickly, or for anyone to come hurtling out. She was directly in the way, and was knocked off her feet and winded by the impact. As soon as she got some air back into her lungs, she tried to figure out what had happened. She assumed this was the real Isotov; she doubted he'd be the one throwing people out in the hall.

...She was also sort of pinned. Well, this was embarrassing, to grossly understate things; her face went bright red. Still, all she could manage to mumble for the moment was "Oww.... what the hell did she do that for..."

-----------------------------

"Hm? Oh, good morning, Kelas, Beau," Arrin replied, still confused as to why people were suddenly coming into his room. "Er... what's going on?"

A Stumble May Prevent A Fall A Fall May Prevent Breaking Your Face Against The Wall ... or something

Iso was dazed by the fall, and could tell he had banged his knee against the floor rather hard. The pain was already beginning to scream out at him as he tried to raise himself up.

Iso: I ... uuuugh, 'm so sorry. S-she just doesn't know when to quit ... (W-wait a damn second. Did she actually kiss me? With my face?! What the hell?!)

"Nothing," Beau truthfully answered, "I began reading Brother Raemond's shine tome. Unique tome, certainly, but I wanted to do more than simply read today. So I came to visit. Your sister was kind enough to show me which room was yours." He wanted to tell him about the match he'd had with the templar monk, but decided to store that information so the conversation could be drawn out longer than a few minor exchanges. Sadie seemed to preffer keeping her thoughts to herself for the time being, which Beau didn't mind since he'd come to speak with Arrin in the first place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had taken some time but Tas had counted the gold and the total was 4900 gold, as promised. (How am I going to carry all this, though? Some can go into my coinpouch but I can't fit all of it...) Then the realization hit. (The...exchange is over, isn't it? I hope they take good care of the wyverns... I wonder if I'll see them again someday.) "I guess that's that, then," Tas mentioned, "Yes, that was 4900 gold; counted and recounted. And at those prices, I'm sure you'll give them the best care you can." (I'm still going to miss them.)

The more practical problem came to mind, though: how was he going to take all that gold with him? Tas was at a bit of a loss when it came to that issue and he certainly shouldn't leave it unattended.

Bored, Tobe decided to head back to his room for a bit; he was rather liking this whole "not having to work" thing. Shortly after he reached the top of the stairs, he spotted something more ridiculous and indecent (and therefore hilarious) than he'd seen in a good long while: the fire mage and the nomad woman, on the floor, no less. "They's got ROOMS for that!" he called as he sprinted past, utterly disgusted and cackling madly. As he crashed through the door into his own room, he could not stop laughing.

Kelas was utterly taken aback by Tobe's outburst, and blanked out for a moment because her mind couldn't quite handle the implications at this time. "Er... you okay?" she asked belatedly, trying to not panic, still unable to actually get up.

--------------------------

"Ah. I haven't really been doing much, just working on decoding a bit more of these notes," Arrin replied. "It's... not going so well," he added with a sigh. "I keep decoding part of it wrong, or something; I think she may have switched codes."

"Hmm. Any leads at all?" questioned the 13-year-old before hearing Tobe yell something in the hallway and procede to laugh hystarically. Curious, Beau went into the hallway. Whatever it was, it must have been around a corner or something. Still, it had to be discovered so, he continued along until he saw what made the younger boy laugh so hard. His reaction was similar though only came out as a smile before turning around and walking back to Arrin's room, still shaking his head somewhat with that small smile of his.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"As I said, I'll be needing my blanket, so if you have a nest ready for the eggs and hatchling, you should get it now," Tas mentioned, an idea coming to mind as to how to properly secure his payment. (I could tie it up in my blanket and leave it with Namid while I go get a more secure bag to fly it around in. I hope Namid doesn't mind carrying all that extra weight.)

Hallway

Iso couldn't help but give Tobe a look of innocent fear as the boy made his implications and ran away. This was happening entirely too often, he thought.

Iso: I'm ... I'll be alright.

He had to change his original statement, his knee was going to have him limping for a few minutes from the feel of things. Either way the longer he remained on top of her, the greater the chance people would happen upon them and make more accusations so he carefully rolled over onto his back and then sat up to check his leg.

Inside the room, Miranda giggled in silence and then began deliberating about what to do with herself. She knew she wouldn't need to play at being unconscious unless someone bothered entering the room, and she was fast enough to get into position from where she was even if taken by surprise. That had her bored ...

Miranda: (Iso may not be severed anymore, but he's still as blind as ever. I don't remember it taking this much prodding last time. Oh well. It would be nice to have something to do until the coast is clear. Where's a ball-in-a-cup when you need one?)

Business

Makar: We'll take care of that. Pleasure doing business with you, good sir.

Martin: Well, I can't do much else with this guy playing king on my head.

Makar: Okay, Chek, finish taking your notes and then go get the gear.

Chekhov: Uh huh, sure.

No longer pinned, Kelas sat up, dusting herself off. "Why would she do that," she groaned, not even bothering to turn it into a question. Her head was, of course, hurting worse than ever; she dropped it into her hands to try and ease the pain. It didn't work. And of course, through the awkwardness and residual physical pain, she wasn't able to forget what was going to happen, either. This was clearly the best morning.

-------------------------------------

"Not really," Arrin began, but Beau had left for something. "Er... what was that all about?" he asked, bewildered, as Beau returned.

("Playing" king?) The wording amused Tas somewhat as Niket seemed to command attention no matter where he was. "Likewise," he replied to the compliment on the sucsess of the transaction. Once "Check" -- as the mercenary called him -- had gotten their supplies, Tas' blanket would be free and would have yet another job besides keeping the courier warm. (I'll fasten it with some of the spare leather just to make sure it doesn't start raining gold.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 13-year-old was going to answer simply, but Sadie was in the room, so this required some tact. "Can I speak with you privately?" Beau asked, shifting his eyes to Sadie for a moment to indicate her before returning them to Arrin.

Bad memory? Esphyr heard Damian's phrasing with a odd look on her face; the nagging feeling in the back of her mind that she had seen that face before growing ever stronger. A shudder shot down her spine as goosebumps rippled across her skin. For a moment, she could feel her own face muscles starting to tug and change. Then it clicked. She hadn't see that face before, no, but she was no stranger too it.

"Morgan. Can I talk to you for a second. Out of earshot."

OOC: Esphyr is remembering when she stabbed her own friends back at TISME. She didn't see the face, but she likely made one very similar to it.

Luc Altair

The situation seemed to be subsiding for now, but it shouldn't have occurred in the first place. The group had risked a great deal to allow Damian to go on this training mission--never telling if Ixion would betray them, dividing their combat power and so on. If this was an indication of how successful it was, then was there no way of fully controlling the weapons? The others didn't seem half as unstable as the Crimson Lance, but in the right circumstances would they remain safe? This was not a pleasant business. Luc shook his head. Those thoughts could wait until later, for now--he looked at Damian--he needed to start the plan.

"Damian," Luc approached the Crimson-wielding soldier. "As I mentioned earlier, there's arisen a situation that your political help will be required with." Luc would need to keep this short. "The demons have grown more bold in their attacks," he paused for a second. It still wasn't easy. "Settlements--even armies--have come under attack. Your help will be required in convincing Halton of this, if those of the Halton army attack haven't already." Another pause. "My apologies, but the abnormality of this situation is too dire to let you handle any more other business first."

A Paul

Paul was bored. And a bored Paul meant completely-normal things.

So as the spy was chucking some daggers at the Inn door, he didn't have a thought in the world he might injure someone. Really, he was thinking of how weird it was that no one was coming out.

He aimed and sank another knife into the wooden door. It was kinda amazing the thing hadn't collapsed under the twenty or so short blades cutting into it. Oh well, that just made it a game. Twenty-one...

As Tessa stood up, moving to eat and give Damian time to mellow out, he saw her move toward Ixion, who then began to speak to the surrounding people, about the intricacies of his condition.

"Like I said... it was just a bad memory." Damian said, standing up in place, before Luc approached him.

"The demon attacks have persisted... that isn't a surprise... but they have grown even more vicious?" Damian asked, as Luc explained the situation, pausing for a second to allow his words to sink in.

"Halton... army attack?" Damian repeated, confused. "What are you talking about?"

Luc Altair

His words were interesting. It seemed he didn't know about the invasion. But Aiya did. Better to let her deliver that news, unless Damian probed deeper. "One of the armies targeted by the demon attack was a Halton force. It is possible they informed their superiors, but I have little more than hearsay and rumors for this information. To my knowledge, they may have been entirely wiped out."