Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 24: The Schism

Phoenix

"Completely... wiped out?" Damian paused, his mind bringing him back to the barren encampment in the Vaorin countryside. He clenched his fist, his knuckles blanched white from the tension.

'Could this be the same thing that happened to my contingent?' Damian wondered to himself, determined to find out as much as he could about the incident.

"When did this happen? Tell me everything you know about it, rumours, theories, anything." Damian finished, turning to Luc with a renewed vigor.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgan was a bit taken aback by Esphyr's request, but she had learned that the mercenary could be rather unpredictable at times.

"Very well, let us discuss whatever matter requires attention in my quarters," Morgan said, rising to her feet and heading up the stairs much as she did minutes earlier to talk with Ixion.

With a eye kept warily on Damian, Esphyr too followed up the stairs in Morgan's wake. Once she was sure that she was far enough away from Damian for him to hear her, she looked Morgan in the eye with a serious look. "Morgan, I know this will likely sound odd too you, but that look Damian gave Tessa just now unsettles me. Not in the way it unsettles you though, I'm sure. Something about it is... I've seen that look before. No... Not seen... I've... I don't know how to say it. I've made that look before."

Luc Altair

"The demon's firs known appearance was three nights ago. It appeared inside a Halton camp, and wrecked havoc. It next cut its way through Anglenar and the Septimum armies in its way. In but a day it arrived at Directus itself. Over twenty people died chasing it from the city. That's where the majority of my information will come from. It's a shadow demon, it moves with unparalleled swiftness when it must, but it seems unfamiliar land forces it to slow. It seems to be deterred by fire, and others have theorized that light and other spells may be effective as well. Its offensive abilities are high, it cut through armor flesh and bone as if it was air. Arrows that managed to strike the beast achieved nothing visible."

Luc glanced at the various faction representatives in the room before looking back at Damian. "Because of this attack, it may be once again possible to reforge the old alliances anew. Councilman Richtor is attempting to do as much as he can himself, but help will be required for all those outside his sphere of influence." Luc tipped his hand. "Because of the various nationalities within this group, it is already playing an important part in those politics."

EDIT: Speedrunning is only for games not posts yes.

Edited by Script

Morgan shrugged in response to Esphyr. "People often make similar facial expressions when they wish to express the same thing. Are you making some sort of point here?" she asked Esphyr rather bluntly.

"The thing I was trying to express at the time... was sheer horror as I watched my best friend be impaled upon the blade, their life ebbing out before me. I don't know what is wrong with Damian, but it is something to do with his lance. I'm sure of that much. I... That look is one you never forget. He may not have killed her, but something is up with him and that lance. I'm sure of it. It may be best to keep a wary eye on him."

"Oh good morning Beau," she nodded at the boy before he asked to speak to Arrin privately. Sadie took the hint, nodded and stepped out of the room.

"Aww....I wanted to talk to him. Oh well..." Walking down the hall, she saw Kelas kneel down, her head in her hands with Iso. She went in with Beau earlier and she didn't seem to good earlier. Was she in pain?

"Oh...hey are you ok?" Sadie asked, kneeling by her. "Are you in pain or....did that guy say something to make you cry? That would be rude of him." She gave Iso a meaningful look to emphasize her point.

"Just fine, thanks," Kelas replied, a little too loudly, setting off her already worsened headache again. She was probably going to have bruises from the fall, especially in the areas of pride and general composure, but it wasn't really the time to be complaining about that. Hopefully the girl would continue on her way; Kelas wanted to actually talk for a moment while the opportunity was still present, but she wasn't about to do so with other people around. Was there somewhere they could go, she wondered... her "own" room was certainly out now.

------------------------------

"I'm so confused..." Arrin mumbled faintly as Sadie wandered off. Already he'd lost the train of thought he'd been trying to hold onto regarding his work; clearly it was hopeless, and he wasn't going to be getting back to it soon, so he just let that one go, but he hadn't the slightest idea what was going on now.

"You sure you're ok? You don't look very good. Does your head hurt or something? Is there something I can do?" Sadie asked, bombarding the nomad with questions.

---------------

Hecklers

Deciding to step back a bit, Alf headed back next to Reika, sitting down on the stairs and stewed a bit. He remembered that Damian's illegitimate son was with them and he debated whether or not to tell them. On the one hand, in Alf's mind, nobody should be left not knowing who their real parents were. On the other hand, if he showed Damian to the boy, Damian might tell Aiya and Esphyr, it might ruin their relationships, and they'd hate Alf forever for telling.

Ok I'm thinking way too deep into this. Screw his "relationships" anyway. Bastard's not getting away without at least a broken jaw and being told about that issue. Serves him right.

"....Reika?"

"What?"

"You wanna step out?"

"...Sure. Farther away I get from that asshat the better," Reika said, not bothering to lower her voice, hoping Damian would notice.

(I'll have to talk to Sadie later to make up for intruding, but this isn't exactly something to be needlessly publicized.) "Firstly," Beau began, "How much do you know about your sister's relations with Isotov?"

Morgan

"As Ixion said, they are residual images. Damian probably practiced killing Tessa mentally as a way to improve his mental discipline. Ixion is likely correct that it is not a serious issue, but it does not hurt to be cautious," Morgan replied to Esphyr.

Xenia

"All right Peter, I'll track you down when I need you," she said to him, interrupting her chuckling at the scene. Closing the door to leave Nikolai to the mercy of the goat, Xenia decided to head towards the palace where she thought Colonel Daneka might be.

"Hm? What's that got to do with anything?" Arrin asked, becoming more and more confused. "They're good friends, certainly." He was about to add something about the two being inseparable, even when he talked to Kelas, but it seemed a bit mean-spirited. "Why? Are they fighting or something?" He was seriously puzzled as to why Beau would be asking.

Indoors

Iso listened as Sadie inquired as to what was going on, and eventually decided to stand up and offer a hand to Kelas.

Iso: (I'm not sure when I should head downstairs, but from what Miranda told me it's going to get intense. I just need to remember to stay calm, and fake the anger so I can keep in control. This is going to be difficult but ... it's my only chance to help Irina. If I turn on her now, who knows what'll happen.)

Meanwhile downstairs, one of the wyvern riders opened the inn's front door only to see a knife come speeding at him! It ricocheted off his shoulder plate and then bounced off of a solid surface before flying across the room, barely over Niket and Martin's heads and landing right at the center of an apple sitting on the table near the wyverns. Levski simply took the knife and the apple, separated the two, cut himself a few slices, set the knife back down on the table, and began eating the slices.

Burg

When Xenia made her way down the hall, a tired but fully clothed Daneka stepped out from the room with a parrot on her shoulder. She had the look of someone who had been engaging in something rather tedious for awhile. She turned to notice Xenia due to the footsteps, and barely managed a grin.

Daneka: Good morning. (So we did both stay here. All I can remember is shirking off duty for awhile and leaving things in the hands of those bookworms for awhile. I need to stick to sake though. One night of hitting vodka and I can't even remember what happened. And where's Alphonse?)

Kelas took Isotov's hand and pulled herself to her feet. The embarrassment and awkwardness of what had just happened had not escaped her, but the gravity of what was going on pushed it out of focus a bit. "You heading downstairs now?" she asked, keeping her voice quiet since Sadie wasn't quite out of earshot yet.

Upstairs

Miranda listened in on the conversation just outside the door.

Miranda: (... girl got questionnnns. Ehhhh bored.)

Iso: I ... guess I should but ... I'm not exactly feeling up to it ... if you know what I mean.

Downstairs

Ignoring the flying knife, Ixion made his way out to the still unconscious pink wyvern and knelt down over her head.

Ixion: I may be able to do something about Pressha as well ....

With that, Ixion began his work; the work any traditional wyvern trainer would absolutely loathe.

"No, no, quite the opposite," Beau replied, a bit surprised that Arrin didn't know aboutn his own sister's courtship. A knowing grin began to grow on his face as he explained, though he kept his voice calm the whole time, "I hadn't realized how far along in their relations they were, having only heard about their courtship yesterday. You see, when I heard that thud earlier, I had assumed someone had simply taken more drink than he should have. However, when I heard Tobeis shout something in addition to his laughter, I became curious and so went to see what it was about for myself. What assailed my eyes was somewhat humerous, as I can imagine what led up to it."

Beau decided to let Arrin ask what he saw specifically. This was, of course, the best time to allow for his question. It made for good storytelling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was when Tas' confidance in the mercenaries' ability to keep the wyverns safe plummeted. They were no longer under his care so he didn't mention anything aloud, but internally, his panic whirled about. (That knife nearly hit Niket and the eggs! And they're so calm about it! You'd think they'd care more about the wellfare of those little ones! What are they thinking?! Oh, I knew I shouldn't have sold them to mercenaries! Even Lev is acting far too calmly; what is someone doing throwing knives around anyway?! Don't they know there are infints around?! Irina may care about them, but these mercenaries sure don't if they're so calm about the whole ordeal. Shouldn't they be trying to find out who did this? Niket, hatchlings, please live to be old, healthy wyverns... Ohh this headache.... Gah... )

The courier had to sit down again. His headache from his hangover was making its self known again and was only increasing with the stress from Tas' internal panic. His countinance was a bit wan as well and his eyes betrayed his internal turmoil if anyone saw them. Seeing as he was once more looking downward, however, was some protection from that discovery.

"Well, I'll stay until you want to go out there," Kelas offered. She halfheartedly considered trying to convince Isotov to not go and get himself killed, but she knew it wasn't going to happen.

-------------------------------------

"Courtship?" Arrin had probably heard the term before, but he wasn't familiar with its meaning. The mention of a thud was a bit more alarming. "Er... what's going on, exactly? Is someone hurt or something?"

Iso

Iso: Oh man, what are we going to do? Impending insanity down there, you know what in there ...

He kept his voice low enough so that even Miranda could just barely hear him as she did who knows what in the room.

Iso: I'm ... part of me really wants to prevent all this, and just ... put an end to it now but ... maybe she's right. Maybe there's nothing I can do except this. Still, I want to try so badly-

The door to Kelas' room cracked open just enough for them to hear Miranda's normal voice escape.

Iso!Miranda: Not a good ideaaaa ...

Suddenly the door closed again. What she said had barely traveled past their ears but Iso still flinched.

Iso: ... she ... ugh. Man. Tell me there's another room around here no one's using ....

"Picture this, if you will: Last night, as everyone was eating their dinner, the waitress accidentally delivers the wrong beverages to the wrong table. One table having ordered little more than water, while the other being a table of heavy drinkers. The water is delivered to the drunkards while the stronger drinks are delivered to the table of those having ordered the water. Among those who recieved the liquor are none other than Kelas and Isotov, who have been quite infatuated with one another for a long while. Being shy of what public opinion may believe, these two have put on the appearance of only being friends but have, in secret, been meeting with one another and are, in fact, engaged. Isotov, being a lowly mercenary, hasn't the gold to buy Kelas a ring, but she doesn't mind. They are too in love to care about such things. Besides, a ring would certainly be noticed.

After consuming the alcohol unwittingly, Isotov leads Kelas away from the others of the party. Good judgement has been cast asside with the partaking of the alcohol on both parties. Acting soley on a fever of desire and base instinct, the couple toss asside their clothing and enjoy one another's company more than is advised within the confines of simple friendship. The next day Isotov remains sleeping while Kelas goes to get something for her headache from the previous night's alcohol. Once upstairs once more, she wants to see her lover again, so she goes to visit him. When Isotov opens the door, he is so overjoyed that he moves to hold and kiss her, but stumbles and winds up on top of her on the ground. It is such a similar position as the previous night's euphoria that neither want to move just yet and so there remain," Beau explained his theory based on the information he had so far, "And that is just what both Tobeis and I saw: Isotov bodily over your sister and neither quite willing to move. I thought she would have told you at the very least, but I suppose they wanted to keep their affections hidden from everyone, yourself included. Perhaps Kelas didn't think you would understand. Of course, even at my age, I understand things liek that. It is rather silly to think you have not yet been instructed on the matter."

"Weren't you staying in another room before I... er..." Kelas couldn't quite finish the sentence. "At any rate I'm not going to let you go down there if you're just going to pick a fight... at least go with the plan that's only possibly suicide, instead of definitely?" she asked. She sighed; everything kept jumping between awkwardness and pain and she wasn't really sure what to do. "...I'm worried about you," she admitted finally.

---------------------------------------------------

"Er... what?" Arrin was struggling to comprehend what on earth Beau could be talking about. Engaged was getting ready to marry, marriage as far as he knew was for the purpose of producing children... what?! He didn't think either his sister or her friend were crazy enough to decide to do that right now. Love, that was just a stronger form of "like", right? He was incredibly confused... Beau continued, mentioning removing clothing; that was confusing too, that wasn't something you did with other people around... he vaguely remembered Lev saying something similar, that hadn't made sense either... kissing, that was a display of particular affection, but not one he'd ever seen Kelas engaging in, it didn't seem like something she'd do... and Isotov lying... on top... of Kelas? That seemed multiple kinds of uncomfortable, it was certainly incredibly uncomfortable to think about... why would anyone do that? "...Er... engaged? Love? What? Clothes? Er... what? I'm... terribly confused right now..." he finally managed to splutter.

(Wait... Has he really not been educated about...?) "Arrin..." Beau began, taking a serious yet somehwat compassionate tone, "Has no one told you...why there are two genders...and what tanspires between them sometimes? Do you even know exactly how different men and women are from each other?" By this point, Beau was very glad he'd indirectly asked Sadie to leave.

Hallway

Iso: I meant an empty room actually. Helios and I were sharing that one and I'm not sure if he's there or not. Wouldn't hurt to check I guess.

When Irina and Heinz finally made it to the top of the stairs, the sound of voices drew her attention to the two.

Irina: A-are you two okay? (What's all that noise down there? Is the talking getting LOUDER? Ugh. It's a good thing we got out of there when we did.)

The 13-year-old was surprised, but decided to relay the knowledge bestowed upon him from various books he'd read in the past as well as what his toutors had told him about the subject. All of it. Arrin was older, so he ought to know. And besides that, if he was going to attempt to impress Tessa, knowing what he was getting into was of the utmost importance. By the end of his explanation, Beau asked his newly-enlightened friend, "Now does all of that make sense?"