Which do you prefer, Ray or Sophia?

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

What? Ray is better? I haven't checked out their growths or caps, but I'm using both of them in my playthrough and Sophia has much better stats in pretty much everything.

So I prefer Sophia unless Ray shows me how much more capable he is.

PEMN. Just because a unit turns out better than another unit in the long run, the experiences in question will always vary from person to person, and thus be unreliable. Growths and caps don't always say anything about a unit either. Base stats and averages (which are the sum of the growths per level added on to the bases) on the other hand tell us more about a unit in ways such as performance when compared to enemy stats at any given time. Their performance they join is often the most critical. With that said, yes. Ray is better. Better base stats and better con do help give him the edge over Sophia. He also comes at an earlier joining time. Neither is stellar though.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Ray is better? I haven't checked out their growths or caps, but I'm using both of them in my playthrough and Sophia has much better stats in pretty much everything.

Already stated, but personal experience counts for nothing. Also, Sophia takes a disproportionate amount of investment to even get anything out of her...

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/average/ray.html http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/average/sofiya.html

Shown.

Neither is exactly superb at the best of times, but...

Ray has better bases, much better joining level, and overall better growths. Sophie just wins in Mag/Res. But it's just useless when you suck at everything else, and need to be heavily overleveled and take favoritism to even become usable in the first place.

So...? I've had Sophia with just 4 speed at level 20 unpromoted before.

PEMN. Just because a unit turns out better than another unit in the long run, the experiences in question will always vary from person to person, and thus be unreliable. Growths and caps don't always say anything about a unit either. Base stats and averages (which are the sum of the growths per level added on to the bases) on the other hand tell us more about a unit in ways such as performance when compared to enemy stats at any given time. Their performance they join is often the most critical. With that said, yes. Ray is better. Better base stats and better con do help give him the edge over Sophia. He also comes at an earlier joining time. Neither is stellar though.

Already stated, but personal experience counts for nothing. Also, Sophia takes a disproportionate amount of investment to even get anything out of her...

http://www.serenesfo...verage/ray.html http://www.serenesfo...age/sofiya.html

Shown.

Neither is exactly superb at the best of times, but...

Ray has better bases, much better joining level, and overall better growths. Sophie just wins in Mag/Res. But it's just useless when you suck at everything else, and need to be heavily overleveled and take favoritism to even become usable in the first place.

So...? I've had Sophia with just 4 speed at level 20 unpromoted before.

Oh my gosh. At least let me defend myself! D:

So I should think about a character's overall efficiency at his/her starting chapters rather than their growths or whatever luck I may have. (11 defense as a 20 Shaman!) Got it.

In that case, I have to agree that Ray is better...but I still prefer Sophia. She looks cooler.

Well, you can take into account their growths, but in many cases how they perform when they first shows up matters more. Dieck is better than Oujay because Dieck is awesome when he shows up, Oujay isn't (well, also he's around longer, and his bases help him down the road, too). Ray is better than Sophia because he's decent when he shows up. Sophia sucks at first. And probably later, too.

And growths don't really help her case, anyways.

Can't use your own luck to say which one is "better." Now, I do not like Dart because I've had CRAPPY luck with him, but that doesn't make him a bad unit. So if you like Sophia because of your luck, that's fine. You just can't say she's BETTER. (Although you didn't, just that Ray wasn't better)

Sophia is pretty awesome.

2mwgt8g.png

as of 21x HM Sacae.

Awwwwww yeeeea.

Overall, I'd say this is a mostly blessed Sophia you've got there.

These are her average stats, and how much you were blessed or screwed by:

HP: 30(+8)

Mag: 22(average)

Skl: 13(+2)

Spd: 14(+2)

Lck: 7(-1)

Def: 7(+3)

Res: 22(-2)

Her HP is majorly blessed, and her skl/spd/def are slightly above average, at the cost of some res. Other than the res thing, she actually did very well for you. Not that I'm saying that she's worth using in an efficient run(she's not), but still.

Speaking of which, here is my Ray from my first Sealed Sword playthrough:

Ray-1.png

Ray(Lv14 Druid)

HP: 45 (+1, Robe used)

Mag: 29 (+4)

Skl: 23 (average)

Spd: 22 (+3)

Lck: 10 (+1)

Def: 10 (average)

Res: 22 (+3)

Con: 7

Weapon Rank: Dark S, Staff E

Supports: None, because lolLugh, Chad's a thief, lolSophia, lolHugh, and lolNiime.

While I won't say he's good, he did turn out well for me, and is slightly blessed. I only used a robe and a body ring on him, but that's about it.

Edited by darkandroid125

Oh my gosh. At least let me defend myself! D:

So I should think about a character's overall efficiency at his/her starting chapters rather than their growths or whatever luck I may have. (11 defense as a 20 Shaman!) Got it.

In that case, I have to agree that Ray is better...but I still prefer Sophia. She looks cooler.

You're a lot brighter than a lot of people who enter the FE forums to start.

I sense a good future.

Overall, I'd say this is a mostly blessed Sophia you've got there.

These are her average stats, and how much you were blessed or screwed by:

HP: 30(+8)

Mag: 22(average)

Skl: 13(+2)

Spd: 14(+2)

Lck: 7(-1)

Def: 7(+3)

Res: 22(-2)

Her HP is majorly blessed, and her skl/spd/def are slightly above average, at the cost of some res. Other than the res thing, she actually did very well for you. Not that I'm saying that she's worth using in an efficient run(she's not), but still.

Oh, I'm not advocating seriously using her. I just like using stupid characters like that sometimes. Although I'm pretty sure she had an Angelic Robe for that HP.

Next up: FE5 Shanam

You're a lot brighter than a lot of people who enter the FE forums to start.

I sense a good future.

Seriously. Most people would respond to all that with something like "NO U THIS IS MY OPINION GO DIE!" but you (Shiningbolt) took it like a champ. Impressive for a newcomer.

Anyway, just so I'm on topic, I prefer Ray because he's the only one I've used. And he's kinda cool.

Sounds like a plan, brb AA'ing my Shanam.

Haven't touched the arena at all. I just fed him a lot, which is pretty easy in FE5 if you're not warpskipping.

Abuse makes it not fun.

Edited by Silvercrow

Seriously. Most people would respond to all that with something like "NO U THIS IS MY OPINION GO DIE!" but you (Shiningbolt) took it like a champ. Impressive for a newcomer.

Well, after Trueblade I'd assume that most people don't want to look like that again.

*high-fives Joerachi*

Effectiveness can go to hell! Cuteness first! :3

Like I said before, I think that way, but I also take usability into account.

Well, after Trueblade I'd assume that most people don't want to look like that again.

I follow this, and what Furetchen and RedFox had to say.

Thank you for understanding. :awesome:

....lord, name one FE female character that is useable!

*Half the FE4 cast shows up, along with some of FE9, Lute, and Lyn*

...I MEANT A MAGIC USER!

*Lute is left standing.*

...point. Anyway, as cute as she is...and as much as I'd LIKE to use her...I just...

...HOW ARE YOU MEANT TO KEEP HER ALIVE WITHOUT JUST MAKING SOMEONE WITH HIGH DEF CARRY HER?!??!?!?!

Let's see... Callil is decent in FE9, Tinny/Tiltyu are usable in E4 (though that's debatable), Fee uses staves and is hilarious, Nanna is hilariously awesome in both FE4/5 (better in FE5), Illyana isn't that bad compared to Soren in FE9, Micaiah is bad but still usable n FE10...

Yeah, there are a megaton of usable magic females in FE. Even moreso if you play for efficiency, not casually like I do.

....lord, name one FE female character that is useable!

*Half the FE4 cast shows up, along with some of FE9, Lute, and Lyn*

...I MEANT A MAGIC USER!

*Lute is left standing.*

...point. Anyway, as cute as she is...and as much as I'd LIKE to use her...I just...

...HOW ARE YOU MEANT TO KEEP HER ALIVE WITHOUT JUST MAKING SOMEONE WITH HIGH DEF CARRY HER?!??!?!?!

You're not. And if you use Seth correctly, Lute isn't usable.

Now, as for your question, there are several decent female magic users. Clarine, Natasha, Serra, Priscilla, Niime, and Linde all spring to mind, and Etzel is pretty close.