Torch105

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which animation is better?

• Sword of Seals, Blazing Swords, Sacred Stones animations
    • Shadow Dragon, New Mystery of the Emblem animations
    • Thracia 776
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Dark Dragon, Gaiden, Mystery of the Emblem

Okay, I had a little discussion with my friend about this. Which animations are better? I personally favor the GBA animations better. The Combat looks better, the Criticals are better, and the characters look more real and better. However I do personally like the graphics of the DS animations.

But what is your opinion of this? Which do you like better, the DS animations or the GBA animations? This is just for hand held animations, so no Path of Radiance/ Radiant Dawn.

Edited by Torch105

SNES

Regular animation: DS. GBA uses a single animation for regular attack and critical while the DS throws another on many cases for when you double an opponent during a counter-attack or an enemy that can't counter-attack.

Critical Animation: GBA. The DS may have 2 critical animations but they're unimpressive for the most part.

I guess I'll go with the DS one.

SNES, Thracia's unmounted knights have some crazy critical hit animations. Plus the fights look like they continue for a few rounds rather than people going back to their original positions.

DS, because they are quick and effective in conveying the movements and heavyness of each attack, don't drag on forever and can be skipped with the press of a button if you don't feel like watching them.

Bonus points for accurately adapting the FE3 animations for a new system.

I actually harbor something of a dislike for the SNES animations.

That said, GBA for being flashy and colorful but the DS ones do have some points over them. I'll take FE10's over either, though.

Obviously excluding the 3D graphics from Ikes games, I think that SNES graphics are the best. The arena fights actually look real, as opposed to going back to the exact same position you were in when the battle started.

The DS graphics, IMO, SUCKED. Godawful shitty battle sprites there. LOOK MY PLASTIC GENERAL IS GOING TO POP YOUR PEG BALLOON ON TOP OF THIS PIECE OF PAPER.

That said, I enjoy the DS games more than the GBA.

And I'm gonna hop on the bandwagon and say that SNES wins.

Personally DS, since they're closer to how people might actually fight and this tends to bug me with things like enormous backflips, fighters exposing their backs, crazy spinning and Ike waving around a giant axe like it weighs nothing. I still don't like the DS sprites but I did like how they moved. I'm also going to say that I prefer SNES as well, I haven't played any of them yet but from what I've seen they're much better.

Generally, I prefer the more flashy(and more colorful)battle animations of the GBA games. But that also has something to do with how ass-ugly and dull the Shadow Dragon animations are(I'm not saying that the animations themselves are dull, but when the only colors for PC units are blue and purple and the only color for enemies is red, I start to get depressed.) Usually, I'm not bothered by the DS animations because I turn them off, but I'm still more accustomed to the GBA sprites because I mostly play FE7 and FE6 these days.

SNES. Much better color choices (SNES is king), and fast animations on an actual background plane with believable fighting style more akin to that of like fighting games. GBA has sprite quality but because I can't stand the hype the GBA animations get over the SNES animations, which makes me prefer DS animations on personal principle.

DS animations are also very solid and concise, and goes back to more believable fighting styles.

I didn't like the GBA and DS attack animations. The animations in FE9 were too "stiff."

FE10 had flashy animations that I didn't really like either but it was much more fluid than the animations in FE9.

I'd prefer high quality 2D sprites with realistic attack animations with each playable character having their own unique sprite. If possible perhaps even make characters of the same class have their own unique attack animation to give them more of a personality so to speak.

10 > 9 > SNES > DS > GBA, for reasons that have been stated before by others. It's 6am and I woke up three and a half hours ago, I'm not exactly...the most literate right now.

Edited by Furetchen

I like how fluid SNES is, and how it actually looks like fighting rather than: HIT! JUMP BACK!

FE10 graphics is wtfamazing. 9 is very good too, graphics-wise. If that was combined with the smoothness of the SNES animations... want.

GBA>DS. I like the flash Swordmaster crits.

I'd say the SNES and the GBA are the best. They both go for something different and each do very well. The graphics in the DS games were total garbage. It's that ugly bland "advance wars days of ruin" style that just ruins the games for me.

Sorry, but I don't like either. To me it seems like they essentially downgraded the animations back to NES level.

I mean, we went from the SNES games, with those dynamic battle animations with unique sprites for every weapon, to the GBA games where each unit has only one attack animation and an heavy iron blade looks like a pair of daggers when in the hand of an assassin.

We have characters standing on these ridiculous floating platforms which are painted based on the terrain the unit is standing. They are also floating over a black void when backgrounds are activated and since they only cover half the screen they look like really, really cheap theater backgrounds.

And some of the the few animations they have are totally ridiculous, like the fighters. I mean, what are they even doing? Tripping? Or are they stretching themselves so they can hit their enemy without having to leave their platform? Are they afraid the enemies rivertextured platform won't carry them and they will fall into the void? And to round all of this up, they also got rid of the map battle animations so you really only have the choice between crappy animations and sprites just bumping into each other.

At last in the DS games, some units have two attack animations and they are more fluent now. Also some of the backgrounds actually look good and those platforms are gone. In exchange we no longer have unique palettes for our units but I would say it's a winning trade.

In the end I'm deeply disappointed with both of them. In either case the units stay in place and only using their attack animations without any kind of movement or dynamic involved. The series had already proven it can do much better, so why were they going back to this?

Either way, I would say the DS ones are less bad, because at last those have actual backgrounds and don't have those floating platforms.

Edited by BrightBow

ITT people fap to SNES graphics? Nothing new, I suppose.

As far as 2D graphics go, I prefer the GBA ones to any others. The DS animations just felt stale and boring to me. It's been a while since I've seen the SNES ones, but they honestly felt off to me, sometimes like they weren't even finished.

But then, RD's animations kill everything else, but that probably goes without saying. PoR's animations I actually found a bit disappointing as the move into 3D, but at least it was a good stepping stone.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire