Abysmal Souls: Chapter 2

ReformBlade

Aurelio had made it to the base of the mountain, he assumed Grant was behind him. There were far too many footprints for it to be the wrong one, plus he swore he heard a someone shouting. He noticed the dark haired girl from earlier.

"Hey you, seen the kid from earlier? Ah, you've probably been waiting for us, Grant can catch up. That boy's probably got himself into trouble, let's waste no time."

He began his ascent, Ormis' path still reasonably clear. He beckoned Lucretia to follow, from the look of it, she was familiar with both combat and the cold. He had no idea why he was in such a hurry, perhaps the boy reminded Aurelio of himself when he was younger.

"Kid, just don't get yourself killed..."

He could hear more shouting, he needed to hurry.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adrian listened to their argument, not really wanting to say anything edgewise. He didn't feel like he had to stand between them anymore, either, as he'd stepped out of the way. Why would he want to be in between screams? Oh well, he'll warm up to her soon enough... Heh, 'warm' up. Yeah, that's not that funny. In fact, he was do disinterested with their ramblings, that he started continuing along the mountain by himself, leaving them back there to yell at each other. When it finally seemed like they'd finished getting their hatred out of their systems, he yelled back at them from up the mountain "Hey, done with the lovers' quarrel? There's a mountain to be climbed, and it's not going to be climbed for us." He then stuck out his tongue at Riya "Bluuuuuhh" and kept turned to continue climbing. We keep going over this mountain, we'll probably end up in Shuthra, if I remember which town we were in. I guess it's better than Sapphire, right now.

Aurelio looked down. He was impressed, the kid had made it up further than he expected. Part of him thought he would have passed out after a little while. The snow was getting pretty heavy, striking his face continuously. The shouting was now a little louder, despite the howling wind. He could hear the boy, which meant he was still alive - for now. The cold was starting to get nasty. Aurelio wasn't dressed too heavily, he'd be able to cope for now but it would get to him eventually.

He turned back, hoping Lucretia could hear him;

"Hey! Sword girl! Where are you?" he shouted. She probably wasn't too far behind, perhaps she was even ahead. There was a good chance she was Myan - and used to the incredible cold.

Edited by Dokutayuu

Lucretia followed quickly, still intent on learning more information about these people.

"Hey! Sword girl! Where are you?" is what she heard from the boy who began climbing ahead.

"I'm right behind, are we close?" She asked. She kept Adyta in her hands as she climbed, this was natural to her. There were many mountains both smaller and larger she climbed. If there was some positive that came out of her mother, it was that she did learn a lot about combat.

"Remember, Lucretia, when climbing a mountain, keep a weapon nearby. You never know when someone might attack."

She shook the memory off and continued climbing, never getting this boy's name either.

"New rule, Adrian. Every time you make a bad joke, I'm going to make you feel so awkward. So continue at your own risk, kid..." She teased, but Carrion understood his point was valid and hurried forth. "Alright other kid, if you're going to tag along, then hurry the hell up. Time waits for no man, especially wimpy kids." It was tough carrying a dead body whilst traversing a rocky terrain, but she managed albeit slowly. Rather than appear inept, she yelled at Adrian, "Adrian, go scout ahead since you're so fleet of foot apparently. get us a path south, where we'll make a run to Reinaldt. I'll need one of you to go in before I do and grab something for me, preferably a hair dye if you can get one at all, or headgear or something. I'm suspicious enough as is, but if I can just cover up my hair, I can at least try. Am I making myself clear here?"

Grant followed after Aurelio, easily outpaced by the man, "Hey slow down, don't rush- and he's gone..." Grant sighed as he picked up his pace in the snow, his armor clinking rhythmically with his steps. He moved at a surprising speed given his armor, but he was still falling behind Aurelio. Climbing up the mountain, he did eventually catch up to the woman from before and the man. "Yeesh, you people have no sense of tactics! Stop going up one at a time, all for one and one for all and such..." He said, panting a little.

"I thought you didn't want me along anyway?"

Ormis chose not to stick around and hear her answer, instead running ahead to find shelter. On the way, by lucky coincidence, he found his sword lying on the floor, half-covered by snow. He picked it up, grinning, then had a different idea. Taking his cloak off (it was so drenched that it wouldn't have done a whole lot of good anymore anyway), he ripped a few pieces off here and there, then threw them into the air.

Maybe that'll draw them off... Hm.

A little further on, he found a fairly sharp rock. Ormis stuck the remains of his cloak on it, trying to make it not look intentional. As an afterthought, he ripped another piece off and tied it around his face as a scarf.

Then he hurried ahead, trying to keep his distance from Scarlet.

Yeesh, you people have no sense of tactics! Stop going up one at a time, all for one and one for all and such..."

Aurelio turned back to Grant. Slightly frustrated that he'd lost them.

"Tactics, huh. I suppose you can't go too quickly with all that armour on." he replied, he never was fond of armour, but hey, to each their own. Looking into the distance, he couldn't see any figures at all. A result of both the weather and the distance of the other party.

"Okay, let's think this through. They've got a serious head-start. There's a good chance they're heading south, we didn't see them come back our way. I'd continue charging but that's just me. I'm pretty sure I've got more endurance than a little girl. But it's your call, you seem to know her better."

He adjusted the axe on his back, it had come slightly loose whilst climbing. He looked over at Lucretia

"So sword girl, what can I call you? Sword girl isn't a name you want to hold onto. I'm Aurelio." he responded, at last. "I'm guessing we've got a three part team then?"

"So sword girl, what can I call you? Sword girl isn't a name you want to hold onto. I'm Aurelio." he responded, at last. "I'm guessing we've got a three part team then?"

It was good to finally learn somebody's name.

"I'm Lucretia." She replied. "I'm from Miyako, originally."

She peered ahead, in hopes of seeing something that could give a clue.

"I don't see much." She said. "We should continue, but not recklessly. The snow is unforgiving sometimes."

"Nice to meet'ya, Lucretia. Miyako, huh. You're pretty used to the cold then? We should have an edge chasing them then. I'm from Astarte but I've had my fair share of bad weather." he replied.

There was something slightly unnerving about Lucretia. She wasn't particularly intimidating but she gave off a cold, almost tragic air. He could ask later, he was more concerned about their next plan. He looked back over to Grant, who still seemed annoyed about being left behind.

"So what's the plan? The weather would stop them before us, but I can't say we'd catch up to them. The weather's not exactly pleasant either."

"I didn't want you along, you miserable little..." she mumbled on, watching the kid run off ahead. "whatever, just do what I tell you and you'll be fine!" She continued on despite the cold getting to her.

"No, no, you're right, we really should press on. If we slow down, she'll just be that much further ahead. She may be a small girl, but she could easily fight back the cold, so I wouldn't really count on the weather keeping her down. We just have to rough it through..." he said, catching up with the two, starting to break a sweat which felt odd in the cold.

"That's fine by me, Grant. Let's press on then. I'm really hoping it doesn't get too much colder."

He took a few steps forward, actually waiting for his allies this time. He smiled to himself, this was the first time he'd worked with other people in years.

Edited by Dokutayuu

((filler post before work))

Lucretia continued with the two, more excited for this journey than before. It actually helped her get her mind off of her mother for a moment or so while they focused on the journey ahead. She kept both blades drawn and at the ready in case of a fight, as they continued on the rocky path.

Eventually Susan got around to reading the note, and what was in it made her gag. She had to kill the witch herself or die? Nonsense, you didn’t need threats like that when dozens of mercenaries would take on the task based on challenge alone. By this time Ormis and Grant had already left, leaving Susan alone in a panicking town.

-------

The crowd parted like wheat in the wind as a large shadow descended in the middle of town. Susan, from over by the gate, looked on perplexed. It was as if they’d never seen a Pegasus before. But, they probably hadn’t; it was rare they were seen this far south, she thought. As the creature landed, she looked again at the note and realized the reason it was probably here.

“Hey, you over there, on the flying horse!” she shouted, waving her arm to get their attention. Not the most eloquent of greetings, but she didn’t really have time right now.

---

As Katrina and Sarina, her Pegasus, landed in the village, the first thing to draw her attention was the demolished gate. She had come here following some rumor about a Crimson Bitch or somewhat. She didn’t believe most of it (why would a reward like that be given out for finding a person who didn’t exist?) , but this definitely provided evidence to back the claims. Normal people did not reduce strong gates into piles of broken wood and twisted metal.

The second thing to catch her attention was the girl standing by the gate yelling at her. “Um, excuse me miss, why are you shouting at me?” she asked, directing Sarina over to the gate. She stopped a few feet away, waiting for an answer.

“You’re a mercenary, right? Looking for the Crimson Witch?”

“…Yes, something like that. Why?” She thought of herself more of a curious bystander, but if the witch and reward were real she didn’t see a reason not to help out…

Susan needed to find that lady, if for nothing else but to save her own hide. “I have information on her. Look, I need to find her and I can’t do it on foot. I’ll pay you if you take me with you…?” she said, thinking of the bag of gold inside her coat pocket.

“You can fight for yourself, right?” Taking someone to get butchered would be no good. “Hop on, I can fly you a short ways.”

Adrian could only laugh at Riya. "At least you seem less annoyed." Though, the cold seemed to be getting to her. Her orders were for him to scout ahead, but he was rather worried for her health in the weather. He mused to himself about the irony, though. The Crimson Witch dies in the middle of a freezing blizzard... Ha ha, that would be hilarious. So, instead of running across the mountain, he smirked and jumped back down to her. "Ormis, come back here for a second! Riya, you're going pretty slowly, so I have a better idea." He took the wolf from her, and set it down for Ormis to grab, proceeding to hoist the girl over his shoulder. "Don't complain, we'll get over the mountain faster like this!" He bounded off after Ormis, yelling at him once again "Ormis, go back and grab the wolf! It'll be easier if you carry it, and I carry her! Unless you'd rather carry the firebug!"

Edited by seph1212

"Wha- wolf?"

Ormis looked back, and saw the carcass lying on the floor. Oh well, it can't be that big. He was on his way to go get it when the storm cleared a little, and he saw an unwelcome sight.

"He- hey, Adrian! Might wanna pick up the pace, they're coming!"

Hoisting the wolf over one shoulder, he fumbled with it a few times, then just grabbed it and ran as fast as he could without dropping it. About 30 minutes ago, Ormis would have been relieved to see the sight of Grant and his two friends down by where he had confronted Adrian. But now...

Shit!

He hadn't been paying as much attention to his footing, and so managed to step on a slick patch of ice. His foot slipped, and he fell, barely catching himself with one arm a little of the way down. Except now he was stranded, with no footholds or other handholds within reach. The wolf was coiled around his shoulders so he wouldn't have to hold it as tightly when he ran, but now it was dragging him down like a weight.

"Da-dammit!"

In his black cloak/armor, he was visible as a bloodstain against the white cliffs.

Carrion had not the energy to really begin arguing with the decision, which kind of scared her. "Why am I so tired already? What's... what's going on here?" She thought out loud. for the first time in ages, she was actually fearful of something. Why is my power taking so much out of me now? What the fuck?! Is it the book? Is it something happening in this world? UGH! This is just bullshit. Why me, world, what did I do to you?

Grant marched forward at a measured pace, trying to conserve as much energy as he could. He could hear Ormis shouting much further ahead, but why he was that far our made Grant worry. "Why the hell you that far out, kid?! Grr... Pick up the pace, the kid's way too far out and if he finds that bitch, he's toast, literally. Come on, people!" As he rushed forward, he eventually found Ormis, alone and... with a wolf? "Kid, what the hell happened?!"

Adrian heard Ormis slip, cursing as he doubled back to see the kid hanging on the cliff, and Grant'n'pals at the bottom. "Shit! Ormis, just drop the damn wolf and climb! We can find more food later!" Adrian could barely hear Carrion, but the witch was now clearly visible to the people at the bottom of the cliff, since Adrian had peered over to yell at Ormis. How did they catch up with us so quickly?! Damn, we need to move! "Just drop it and climb, Ormis! I'm going on ahead!" But before he left, of course... "See ya later, Grant! Hope the armor doesn't slow you down too much!" He gave him a wink and a smile, and then ran, going as fast as he could across the mountain. Ormis, you'd better be alright.

Ormis had a tough choice. Make a break for it and let Grant and the others know he wasn't on their side anymore, or try and worm out a story and make Scarlet think he wasn't on her side.

Wait a sec... That's it!

He shouted back up the cliff to Adrian, "Go, don't wait for me! We'll lose her!" Then he dropped the wolf on a very surprised Aurelio (though of course Ormis didn't know his name) before resuming the climb himself. Hauling himself to the top of the ridge, he shouted a brief command over his shoulder, "What the hell are you waiting for, Emerald?! Get up here so we can chase her down or Adrian's gonna get himself killed!" Then he took off running, making sure to weave back and forth so as to obscure his path and destroy Adrian's footprints.

"Adrian... Adrian, slow down, stop... something's... something's not right. We're being surrounded by... something... ?" She was panicking, her mind was screaming for adrian to stop, trying to warn her of danger when suddenly there was a piercing shriek filling the air, causing Carrion to cover her ears in pain. The walls weren't as they seemed, for if one looked closer, they would see large lizard like creatures hanging on the walls. "Frost Chameleons..." carrion muttered. "Adrian, go back, I swear to god, if you don't go back, we're going to die. Taking these on without a group would be suicide, and I don't much feel like dying, so turn the fuck around, NOW. I'll explain if they catch up. Those things are clever, if we see one, at least 3 see us, so chances are we're already surrounded. If you all group up around me, you'll live. I think I got enough for one more burst if you can keep them at bay..."

Grant was confused by Ormis. "Kid, don't fucking throw that- Kid what the FUCK?!" Was he pranking us? What the fuck is he doing? With a strength born of anger and more anger, Grant actually climbed the wall fairly quickly for a man of his size in armor, tho he was winded a bit from it. And then the shriek came. "Ooooh FUCK. Why did I not take this into account...?! Shit, guys, this is... be on your guard, we've got to be on our toes here. Stay sharp, shit is going to get dangerous. Don't let them get your skin, you'll regret it if they do, trust me!"

Adrian froze in place, staring at this monstrous lizard hanging on the wall. "Riya, why the fuck didn't you mention these before...?" He whispered, terrified. He'd heard of them; heard tales of what they could do to travelers in the mountains, but he had always thought they were just that; tales. "Alright, I'll do just that. I'd rather deal with Grant'n'pals than these things..." Adrian made sure not to make any sudden movements, backing away slowly. One of the beasts blinked, bared its fangs, and lunged at him. He freaked out and ran, nearly slipping in the snow, but catching himself and dashing back to the cliff edge. "Ormis, fucking run!" Adrian was keeping as tight a grip on Riya as he could, making sure not to drop her, as she seemed to be losing it.

Edited by seph1212

Ormis stopped dead when he heard the screech.

"Shit... fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!!!"

He drew his sword and took a stance, laying the tip of his sword on the ground. If Adrian and Scarlet had any intelligence, they'd come this way, and it would be safer to stay in a group. Hopefully Grant and the others would catch up, too. The more people against these things the better.

---

"Ormis, fucking run!"

"Wait, what? Are they chasin- OH, FUCK!!!"

He spun around and ran. It would be easier to deal with Grant than this.

((EDIT: DAMMIT TRENT))

Edited by Camtech075

Aurelio was caught off-guard, the flying carcass had almost sent him to his doom. He stumbled back a two or three feet, getting frighteningly close to falling. Thankfully, he fell on his backside before the edge - narrowly avoiding death.

"Man that was too close for comfort. What's that idiot trying to pull?" he thought to himself. The snow was bitterly cold, but he wasn't going to let the brat get away with it. Once they'd sorted out this mess, they'd need to seek shelter. "Let's go, Lucretia!" he shouted.

With a similar rage to Grant, Aurelio scaled the wall in an equally impressive time. The odds were that Lucretia had followed behind. Approaching Grant and drawing his great axe;

"That's that kid playing? I'll make him a choir boy- What was that shriek? Whatever it is, it sounds pretty big." he ranted, only changing his tone mid-sentence. Clutching his axe. he boasted "This thing can cut a horse in half, let's see how it fairs here."

Lucretia followed closely, her heart beating faster than before. Things suddenly became more serious than before, and she was prepared for the worst. She paid no attention to how cold she was at this point and instead focused on running ahead. Then, she heard the screech.

"Oh, no...is that what I think it is?" She asked herself. "Oh, no. This is not good." She kept Samadhi and Adyta that much closer to her body.

Adrian was still running, one of the monsters right behind him, too close for comfort. He had to hold Carrion in his arms now, in case one of the monsters got close enough to swing at her. Just then, it went to grab him with its claw, barely missing, and luckily taking a stumble and rolling over once or twice, before continuing to chase after him. He squinted whilst running, and saw the entire group that was chasing them all standing there, weapons ready. "Oh god, I hope you're all waiting for what's chasing me!" He closed his eyes and slid, managing to go right between Grant's legs to fall off of the leg behind them, and land, rolling, his head extending over the proceeding ledge. "That... was too... close..." He sighed, and went to lay his head down, only to remember that there wasn't ground there. He moved away from the edge, and looked back to Riya. "Hey, come on! What's wrong?"

With Adrian running about and shifting her around, Carrion was having some trouble concentrating but she had no other option unfortunately. She could sense multiple of them scurrying about, too spread out for what she had in mind. "Shit..." she mumbled halfheartedly. Of all the ways she could die, freezing to death had to be one of the worst ones she had witnessed. Putting everything else aside for the moment, she began channeling her mana for a powerful spell. "Adrian, buy me a minute, just give me that long!" The kid seemed to finally be taking her seriously, but she wondered how long she and him would last even after the current problem...

"Hey, come on! What's wrong?"

"I'm feeling weaker than usual right now. I really, really don't know why, but maybe I can explain it to you later, because right now, I don't need interruptions, I need to concentrate so I can fry those things up before you all get destroyed..." she finished, closing her eyes.

Grant was on alert, looking every which way when he heard screaming up ahead, from Adrian and Ormis. He was about to go searching ahead for them, but as luck would have it, they were already coming back to him as he could see them not too far from where he was. He saw Adrian charging at him with... the witch? "Adrian what the hell are you doing?! Leave her to die, dammit, then we can all go back and collect! Gaaah!" His anger and pride were cut short as one of the beasts landed not but five feet away from Grant, growling then launching its tongue at the knight's head, his only exposed part. His sword was up in the blink of an eye, blocking the tongue. While he expected the tongue, he didn't expect it to have such a strong grip on the sword, as the beast tried to pull it in. Grant had to make a choice. Try and pull the sword away from this guy and risk being a wide open target or lose my weapon... Sweat hit his brow as he summoned enough strength to physically rip the sword from the tongue, icy flesh tearing from the beast causing it minor pain, more annoyance than anything, but Grant wasn't done. As he pulled it back, he winded up for a powerful swing, bringing the sword crashing down on the lizard as he lept at it. The beast recoiled from the blow, one of its front legs crumpling under the blow. It was still very much alive, but in pain. "But these things are always in packs... just our goddamn luck..."

Edited by SlaveBlade