Abysmal Souls: Chapter 2

ReformBlade

"Alright, Aurelio" she got out slowly, not used to his name. "I was out here hunting!" She said gleefully, pointing at the large sack that was back over her shoulder. "It's a lot safer here than over in Shuthra. I mean, sure, you've got your chameleons an' all, but the beasts on my mountains are infused with magic. Nasty critters, Aurelio." She got his name out a bit better this time, but still had trouble pronouncing it. That's gonna be hard to get used to. Aurelioooo. She pondered his name for a moment before the hulking beast of a man from a moment ago spoke. "Well, what did she do to you to make you hate her so much?" Amera was asking the wrong questions to fuel her curiosity, but she asked them anyways. "It's not like she... killed your family or something, did she?" Her voice getting a little quieter at the end of her question. Her genuine curiosity was generating more questions, but she decided to wait before bothering the man once again. She has to have done something...

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What did she do? She tried to kill me, then threatened to go after my family. Now, I don't know how you'd take to that but I for one am angry, even fearful of her. If she went through with that threat, I'd be alone, the last man in my family. And that is something I would never get used to. Now, if you're done dragging up bad thoughts from me we can all just go get some extremely needed sleep." He said in a huff. He looked to the sky, noting that it was starting to get dark again. "Shit... I haven't eaten anything at all today, and now I've got almost no money... This day is just getting better and better. And to think, i could have ended it all in a goddamn instant if only I..." he stopped going down that road in his mind, it would only lead to anger and resentment, and then hesitation when it would be least needed.

"O-Oh... Sorry" Now I feel kinda bad. Maybe I shouldn't have asked? "Yeah, you're right. I'd probably be upset too, except I don't have any family anymore, so, heheh." She made a small smile, to force out her sadness. Grant mentioned sleep, and Amera perked right up. "Of course we can! I know the guy who runs the inn at Reinaldt, so I might be able to get you all a discount. Or maybe I can just give him one of these" she motioned to the bag once again "And they might just give up free lodging." Or we could camp out. That's always fun~ "Sorry for bringing up that question... mister. Actually, I don't know your name. I'm Amera."

Aurelio

"Hey, I haven't slept in a bed for a good while, that inn sounds like a good idea. We definitely need to stop off somewhere, even camping out beats this mountain."

It was getting pretty dark, no doubt it would get much colder too. The group certainly had been through a lot today, Aurelio had met a lot of very unusual people too. It had been the first time something had distracted him from his eternal quest. Something was up though, Grant seemed far too level-headed to chase after a girl this far. It was also weird how so many people were also after her. Was someone behind this?

"Grant, I'm understanding your motivation. Once we stop up, we need to go through everything. A lot of stuff isn't adding up, and I've got questions. That can wait, though." He turned his attention to Amera. "Yo, Amera! You seem to know the area pretty well. How much farther are we looking? We gotta get off this mountain before nightfall, and we really shouldn't be traveling at night around Shuthra. There are some pretty crazy beasts out there."

There was also the fact that he was getting tired, but he'd never admit it.

---------------------------------

Ken - Ensaria

After a largely uneventful day of traveling. Ken decided to call it a day and book into an inn. Ensaria was a pretty busy town, even in the evening. In his priestly attire, the people were courteous and incredibly respectful. One woman even apologized for her son walking in front of him. Not that Ken minded. After finally finding one that took his fancy, he stepped through the door. The innkeeper, as polite as the rest, offered him a large room at a discount price.

"Don't mind me. It's fine, really. I'd be happy to pay full price." Ken chirped, it wasn't like money was an issue. He sat down to a pleasant dinner, including his much beloved bread. Before he ate he prayed;

"I pray to you, my Goddess.

Please let all of your children, even those do not believe, be bathed in your light.

Allow them to accept your warmth and be free from suffering.

Do not look upon them for their actions but for the righteousness of their hearts.

Serene in nature and virtuous in intention, your word is my way.

From the bottom of my heart, your lowly servant begs for your mercy."

He hoped all people could one day be as fortunate as himself.

"Grant... and I apologize, I shouldn't be acting like I'm the only one who has any hardships here." He felt like a complete asshole when she mentioned her family being dead. He actually had a lot going for him right now. Company and a purpose... And hopefully money later. "And you know the guy who runs the inn? That'll help tons!"

"Yo, Amera!"

"Ah, yes?" She was surprised, being suddenly addressed like that. She'd never been around this many humans at once, on good terms, without freaking out a bit. "It's only a little bit farther. Not even 5 minutes off the mountain, I swear. Of course, the town's 20 minutes walking after we get off the mountain." She kept up her happy mood, hoping to maybe bring up the happiness in the rest of the group. They all seemed really depressed and down, though, after fighting what they said they'd fought, she wasn't all too surprised. "Yeah, I've known him for a few years now. I bring food in sometimes. He's a pretty swell guy." Amera's curiosity was eating at her, and she just couldn't help it anymore. "Listen, this has been bothering me since I talked to Lucretia, but, how did all of you manage to survive against all of those chameleons? I've heard stories, and I know they attack in huge groups, so..." I should just learn to stop asking questions.

Teis

"Fine, frost chameleons, whatever. Now, tell me who you are. If I like your answer, you won't have to face my axe, agreed?"

Teist smashed a huge dent into the floor to make his point. The ground shook a little, but Teis thought it was only him losing his balance a little.

Ormis

Ormis didn't really have any idea what to do. It looked like Grant had taken care of it, and all Ormis really wanted was to get some sleep anyway.

Bloody hell... Adelaise. Horrible place to be in. Those years I spent here looking for food and money... Elune walked slowly along the main streets, careful to not appear suspicious. That clothing shop... it's around here, isn't it? ... Found it!

Elune quietly entered the room. The old storekeeper looked up, saw her face, immediately backed up against the wall and screamed.

"No no no! I didn't do anything! Don't kill me, don't kill me... Eeeeeeeeep!" Elune drew her crossbow and shot the storekeeper once in the leg. He immediately fainted.

Gotta act quickly for this... dammit! Elune ran to the Women's section and hastily pulled out a pair of black top and jeans, went into the changing room and quickly got dressed. She stole the storekeeper's bag, placed her crossbow bolts in one of the compartments and her normal assassin clothes in the other. She plucked out a black coat, took the bag and quickly left the store.

This should suffice to hide me a bit. I sure as hell am not going anywhere near Gerhelva... Gonna be a bit longer to Brishorst, then. Elune strapped the bag over her shoulder and started running.

"Listen, I'm really in no mood to deal with your bullshit." Adrian sat up from where he was laying down, the blood seeming to have stopped from his wound. "What do you want to know? I'm Adrian, just some kid from a village in Sapphire, on his way to Shuthra. Anything else you must know?" The man didn't frighten him anymore, but he sure was getting annoying. "So get to askin' or shut up an' sit down, 'cause I want to get some sleep." It was getting dark outside, and rest was what Adrian and Riya both needed.

Teis

"Who's the girl is what I really want to know. But that can wait, you're tired and I won't keep you up much longer. But at least answer me this: who is it that is pursuing you, and have you ever heard of a man by the name of Worsay?"

She was hating this guy's attitude more and more, but ultimately decided she didn't want to endanger herself. "The name is Riya, and as for who is chasing us, it's a bunch of people that ambushed us in the mountains. We were just looking for some mana stones about the place when they jumped us, and then the Chameleons decided to jump in as well." She sighed. "And no, I have no idea who this 'Worsay' is..."

Grant grimaced, "What happened? The Witch happened. She killed every one of them. Every. Last. One. Just exploded like some bomb was in them. Granted, we would've been overrun if she didn't do that, but that much power, unchecked in some murderer? I'm not going to sit by idly."

"Oh my... that sounds terrifying." Amera hadn't even heard of displays of magical feat that powerful, and some part of her wished she'd seen it happen; it almost seemed, in this magical world, too surreal to believe. She shrugged, listening to the rest of what Grant said. "Alright, that seems like a reason to want to hunt her... but maybe you should talk with her, instead of just killing her?" Amera was one to try and find some sort of peaceful resolution before outright killing someone. Of course, she had, and would, if she was forced to do so. Having not spoken to only one person in the group, she glanced around and spotted the cute boy from before. With a cat like grin on her face, she bounded up to him, and pounced on him, knocking him down into the snow. "Hello~!" She said, cheerfully.

Teis

Teis relaxed a little, regaining his composure and manner. These were definitely not the people he was looking for. But something about the woman reminded him of an item he had seen on the village message board only a few hours ago.

"Very well then. I feel that you're not telling me all that you should, but I shall not press the matter, for it is late and we should all be in bed. I think, perhaps, that you would not be averse to me staying in your company for a while longer? If you are being pursued for no good reason as you say, I believe that my services may be well appreciated. As you can see, I am quite proficient with an axe, and I am no novice with a simple claymore or broadsword."

The knight half-smiled, a little twinkle in his eye.

"And if you were truly gathering mana-stones as you say, I would be quite honored to travel in the presence of the once-renowned Crimson Witch."

((Yes he is supposed to be the ultra-gentleman))

Ormis

"O-oof!?"

Ormis had been sulking along quietly, which was a bit unlike him. That is, until the Anri girl who was leading them pounced on him.

"H-hey?"

He had no idea what to say. As alternately a mercenary and a caravan guard for his entire life, he didn't really know how to deal with girls his own age. Especially since this one was... abnormally strong. This Anri girl, who Ormis wouldn't put past 19, was stronger than he was himself. Ormis somehow blushed and paled at the same time.

Adrian wasn't annoyed with him anymore, as he seemed to be a polite person, rather than some simple axe murderer. "There's one problem with that" he mentioned, "and that's that, there's only two beds." I'm going to have to... no, not going to think about it. I won't do it. I'll sleep on the floor if I have to. He then mentioned Crimson Witch, and Adrian went back on alert for a moment, not saying anything to it. If Riya was going to play it off, he'd let her, and he wasn't about to start accusing him of anything, yet. He fell back against the bed, relaxing onto it. Fuck it, this bed's too comfortable after what's happened today, if I have to sleep with Riya I will.

-----

Amera couldn't help but laugh, as the kid blushed underneath her. "What's wrong, cat got your tongue? hee hee." It was quite obvious that the boy hadn't been very social in his life, but Amera couldn't help herself. He was just so darn cute, she had to pounce him. Sighing in her smile, though, she got off of him and held out a hand to help him up. "I'm Amera. You are?"

"Ha" Carrion let out, her strength returning bit by bit, allowing her to sit up slightly. In truth, she was incredibly tired and wanted to go back to sleep, but she also had to pay Adrian back for earlier. "If you know who I am, then I think this conversation is pointless, don't you? If you wanna take my life, go nuts, I'll just come back and crush you when I'm at full power. But I think you're smarter than that, so let's just see what fate has in store for me tomorrow, OK?" She asked rhetorically. Laying back down, she scooted over next to Adrian, grabbed his arm and snuggled next to him. "So warm... hmhmhm...Good night, dear..."

"Try talking to her? Honest to god, I was willing to, and then she and that Adrian kid just fucking ran away like they had something to hide. I think talking is out of the question, but... against my better judgment, I'll yield to what the group wants, but if you all take to long, you know what I'll do."

Teis

"You wound me, my fair lady. I care not for the price that has been put on your head, for you are not the one whom I seek. I do not take a life unless that life has crossed me, and even then only in the most extreme circumstances. At any rate, I cannot force you two to have any discomfort because of me, so I will kindly take my rest on the floor. I believe I can take watch tonight anyway, for I can hear voices over by the rise."

Teis took a cross-legged pose from which he could rise very quickly should trouble arrive. With on hand on his axe, he leaned back against the wall and dozed, trying not to sleep too deeply. He thought of his father... of the black-robed magician who had killed him.

Ormis

"Uh, no, um..." Ormis was completely flustered. "I'm, uh, Ormis. Nice to meet you." He shook her hand, startled by how powerful her grip was.

Adrian blushed furiously, not exactly wondering why she'd done that. He remember her saying she would pay him back for his little joke. Of course, he hadn't thought she was going to pay him back like this, and he didn't know how to react. He took a deep breath, thinking for a second. Alright, you wanna play like that... He rolled over, to face her, wrapping an arm around her back to pull her closer. He was extremely red at this point, but if she was going to act like that, he was gonna act like it right back. I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead...

-----

She shook his hand back, trying to control her giggles. "Heehee, don't get too embarrassed, Ormis. I might have to make you feel even more awkward~" She mused the end of her sentence, smiling. That was way too much fun. Although, they'd reached the bottom of the mountain by now, and the lights from Reinaldt could be seen in the distance. "Phew! Only a little longer, everyone. Gonna get a nice nights rest."

Lucinda dismounted from her pure white stallion and took the reins into her dainty, gloved hands upon traversing through the town gates of Reinaldt. The pretty little slip of a girl was decked out in lightweight plate armor matching the color of the snow still falling, trimmed with the finest yellow gold, and worn over a rich blue tunic, also trimmed with fine gold embroidery. A jeweled rapier rested at her side, poking out from underneath her equally lavish cloak as she walked. She led her horse to the side of the road and stopped to take in the sights around her, looking bemused. A quaint, bustling border town is the perfect place to rest for today! Now to find an equally quaint and bustling place to rest my glorious self and my fine steed… She gently tugged on the reins and began to weave her way through the various crowds.

Edited by Sakusa

Ormis - Thoroughly embarrassed

Ormis's seemingly endless well of confidence and bravado ran utterly dry. For whatever reason, something about this girl made him forget all about his dreams of fame and grandeur.

"Um, okay, I'll remember that, I think..."

He stammered off, still feeling really awkward.

"Hehe... See? I'm not so bad once you get to know me, Adrian" She said to him softly.

Unfortunately, now that he was playing her game as much as she was, she wasn't enjoying it anymore. Her tone was serious, but still soft as she continued, sighing. "You know... I was lying last night when I said I didn't know what i was doing anymore, sort of... Truth is, I've... been looking for a way to get my b-brother back." Her voice started cracking slightly, so she took a deep breath and continued. "I've had no luck anywhere, people reject me for who I am, call me a blasphemer against nature for trying to disrupt the natural order, but you know what? I'm just trying to right a wrong here, I've never meant to bring innocents and the like into this, I've only ever killed in self-defense, I swear... But no one wants to see that... Ever since I got that book, I've been empowered beyond my wildest dreams, and while the power itself may have gone to my head, I always held it back from overflowing. I... Gah..."

She sat there for a moment, closing her eyes, "I'm sorry I dragged you into this, I really am, I had to try something, to prove that I could do it, and finally I did. With you... I've proven that resurrecting another human being is possible!"

Meanwhile, Grant could see the town off in the distance, welcoming him almost. "Oh god, sleeeeep. Amera, if you can get me any discount I'd love it! I'm low on cash as is..."

I wish I didn't have to come here of all places, but at least it's better than Gerhelva... Urgh. Elune brought her hand down to her knife and instantly felt more at ease. She slowly walked through the gates of Belenos, not stopping to listen to any of the crap the preachers had for her. She made her way to the nearest inn and immediately approached the innkeeper.

"This man here," she said, placing the picture she'd received from the drunken man in the Revaius bar. "Do you know anything about him?"

"Erm... Kardel something. Why'd you care anyway, missy?"

"Do you know where he is?"

"I don't know, apparently he left Shuthra recently. Probably in Sapphire. Come on now, it's getting dark. Care to stay a night?"

Elune took the picture back and quickly left the inn, thinking nothing of the innkeeper's request.

If he just left, he'd either be in Reinaldt or Gerhelva. No Krian would ever come to Lushira, and to go to Gerhelva is suicide... Elune silently mapped out a path in her head before deciding to hire a horse. It was a long way to Reinaldt, and with a horse, she'd reach it in a day.

Alright, I'm not going to die, but this is still scaring me close enough to death. He didn't know what to make of her, though, as her sudden tone change made him feel a lot less awkward. And then she brought up her brother. He listened intently, though, he wasn't really surprised. It'd make sense for her to want to do that. She'd been grieving over it since he'd met her, at least according to Faye, so finally having brought someone back to life must've been momentous for her. "I... uhm..." He couldn't help but chuckle, unfortunately, at her apology. "Why're you apologizing?" he asked with a soft voice and a smile, "if you hadn't dragged me into this mess, I'd probably be dead, still. All I can do is thank you for that." He didn't know what else to say, other than "what can I do to help you bring him back?"

-----

He's so cute. I almost feel bad for teasing him. She giggled once more, before sighing. Amera didn't want to wait any longer, the town in sight. "Uhm, Grant, Ormis, I'm just gonna run ahead and check out the town, alright? You can all make it there without me; maybe I can set up our rooms so that you can all just collapse when you get there!" With that, before waiting for an answer, she bounded off on all fours again, making her way to the town.

Edited by seph1212

Aurelio

Watching Ormis fluster so badly, Aurelio couldn't help but laugh, loudly. "At last a name, so you're alright with being Mr and Mrs Ormis, then?" he sniggered. He had to get his own back for the dead wolf, he'd bleed this joke dry if he had to.

"How big a discount are we talking? Money doesn't really seem to come my way." he chuckled, still amused by Ormis. It was good to know they were close, he was sick of snow.

--------------------------------------

Ken

Finishing his meal with another prayer, he left the table, deciding it was time to go to sleep. He was used to getting up at the crack of dawn, so going to bed early was pretty normal for him. His room was spectacular, a whole family could probably fit in there. Removing his robes carefully and placing them on the side, he knelled next to his bed for yet another prayer. He then climbed into bed. Although it was more like sinking into it. Closing his eyes, he wondered why all people didn't get beds like this, and he fell asleep instantly.

"Help me? I never thought I'd hear anyone suggest that to me, but... well, it's like this. With you, I had a body and your soul had just been released from it, so I could easily drag it back and forcibly put it back into the body, chaining it down so to speak with some of my mana. With my brother, I don't have his body, and his soul has either passed on or has wandered to god knows where at this point. So the question is, how do I create a body and a soul in the likeness of my brother? I've looked most everywhere on this land, almost everyone gave me weird looks when I asked that, and honestly, I don't blame them too much, it's a fucking weird thing to ask, but... but it can't be 'nature's will' to have my brother taken from my own hands... by my own hands? I feel like a devil for that. It was my fault, and no matter the intentions... I... I-I burned him to... to a crisp... Sometimes I wish I never found this damn book. It has only brought me misery and pain... Maybe I did something in a previous time and life and now it's coming back to make me pay? I don't know, I really don't know, but what I do know is that I'm just getting tired of it all. I-I've actually tried taking my life several times, did you know that? Each time I would wake up a few days later, physically fine but..."

At this point she was rambling but the sadness in her voice was clear as day, her eyes welling up. She couldn't hold back the tears any longer and began sobbing uncontrollably. She didn't care how pathetic she looked in front of them both, she just wanted to cry, as she often did.

Grant shrugged, "Eh, the way she went on about it, possibly a free room? That would be so great right now, I honestly wouldn't care how bad the room was. Just give me a bed out here and I might just be able to sleep, snow and weather and all, haha."

Adrian pulled her into a hug, letting her cry into his shoulders. "Shhh, shhh, it's alright. Listen, you didn't know that would happen to him, you only tried to save him, right? You say your intentions didn't matter, but they do. You can't blame yourself, you really can't." Yeah, this is a lot worse than I thought it was. Poor girl. And to get constantly hunted with that on her mind the whole time? Geez... I can't let Grant have his way. I'll fight him off if I have to. Adrian wasn't about to consider that she was lying to him to convince him to help her; no one could lie and cry like she was. These tears were genuine. "Just let it all out, alright? We've got to get some sleep, so, please. Just let it out..." Crying'll probably make her feel better, if only a little. Better than keeping the emotions holed up.

-----

"Open the gaaaaaaaaate!" Amera yelled up at one of the sleeping guards, shaking him awake. "Oh, you... yeah, yeah, sure, one sec..." he groggily pulled the chain the slid the gate open, letting Amera slip through. She walked into the inn, the first building in the town, and sauntered over to the front desk. "Heeeellloooooo~?" An elderly man with a cane slowly made his way to the front desk, putting on the thickest glasses ever before exclaiming "Oh! Amera, I haven't seen you in weeks! How are you, my dear?" She smiled at him. He was a kind old man, and practically the whole town knew him. "I'm just fine, Mr. Weebly. I brought some more boars for the chef!" She placed her sack on the desk, "and I was wondering if I might be able to get some rooms for a few friends of mine..."

"For a girl like you? Of course I can. How many people will be staying?"

"Oh... 5, including myself. I can pay for them."

"That won't be necessary, my dear. You've helped this inn for so long, I can spare one night for your friends."

"Oh, that's so nice of you! Thanks~" She smiled and left the inn, leaving her sack there. Mr. Weebly would call the chef in later to take them to the kitchen. Instead of wait at the inn, she scaled the gate and sat on top, waiting for the rest of the group to show up.