Abysmal Souls: Chapter 2

ReformBlade

Ormis

"Oh, shut up, you." Ormis had regained his bravado now that the pretty girl had left. "Speaking of which, I never caught your name either."

While everyone else was talking about money, he felt around in his own money-pocket. Empty...

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aurelio

"So the kid's got some fire back. Wanna continue this, or are you afraid Amera will come back?" He laughed, despite being half-killed, Ormis still had some fighting spirit. It was almost impressive. "The name's Aurelio, we can acquaint ourselves better later." He really meant it. He wanted to hear his version of the story too. Overhearing Amera's conversation, he decided it'd be a good idea to thank the innkeeper. Free service wasn't easy to come by.

"Thanks, gramps. We've been through quite a bit, I do appreciate it."

He made his way to the inn, he was incredibly hungry. Aurelio had learned that food and sleep could cure pretty much anything. Getting his hands on a better weapon was another story, he didn't feel right without an axe but having no money would make it difficult to replace. He needed to make sure he checked on Lucretia at some point, she had been awfully quiet on the way down - even for herself.

------------------------------------------

Ken - Ensaria/The land of dreams

Teis

-About 5 in the morning- ((Assuming that's when Grant and co. get into town))

Teis sat up, tensed. Someone was nearby... no, in the fort. He scribbled a quick note (heading to fort, will return in two hours or less) and started in. The guard let him through after seeing his papers. Admittedly, now that he was in town, Teis had no idea what he had been planning to do. Having no better idea, he headed to the inn, assuming that's where the new arrivals would end up.

Ormis

"Why you-" Ormis would have tackled Aurelio had he not gone to speak with the innkeeper. It was hard to admit, but Ormis was grateful for the lack of charge as well.

"Well, you could probably get a room with Lucretia if you asked politely..."

He said this just loudly enough for Aurelio (and possibly the man leaning on the corridor wall) to hear, then hurried off to go find his own room.

Edited by Camtech075

Aurelio

"You say what, kid!?! Remember, no fighting for the top bunk!" he snapped, still slightly comical in tone. He was angrier than he expected, but he had to give credit to the kid - that was pretty good. Not really caring what he'd been served, he devoured his meal within no more than two minutes. After receiving his key, he made his way up to his room, muttering something about Ormis owing him a jacket. His wounds were all pretty light, he was mostly tired and cold. A good night's sleep and he'd be back at it again. Opening the door, he threw himself onto the bed, not even bothering to undress. It's not like he had anything else to wear.

He was soon asleep, it was the most comfortable thing he had slept on all year. Well, it wasn't hard to top the inside of a tent.

The inn Lucinda walked into was bustling, alright. A large group had walked in and was a little too noisy for her tastes, but she paid them no mind. In fact, she welcomed it. After journeying for miles on end alone, any kind of human interaction was a relief. She unfastened her cloak, draped it over an arm, and grinned. O Goddess of Light, I am eternally grateful for your mercy, for your gift of life, for your guidance, and for your generous answer to my humble prayers. If there is any way your unworthy servant can repay you, I implore you, please, give a sign. The girl looked around the inn, expecting to find something.

My child, spread my word across the corners of the land. Do good for those who suffer, and smite those who reject my existence.

Your lowly servant shall strive to fulfill your wishes, my goddess!

She crossed over to the front desk where an old, bespectacled man sat. "Please excuse my intrusion at this late hour, good sir, but you would happen to have a spare room, yes?"

"Oh, yes, of course. That'll be..."

Lucinda fished out a sizable gem and placed it on the desk. "This jewel should be more than enough to cover the room and a meal, correct? Please, accept this as a token of my gratitude."

"I couldn't possibly--"

"I won't take 'no' for an answer, good sir. I pray that you and your staff will have a wonderful night."

She sat down to a hearty meal, away from the other travelers, and eventually made her way to her room and onto a bed. Soon enough, she was lulled to sleep.

Far away, but not a long long time ago. A woman rests in a cabin that has been empty for a long time. The last of a scuffle has ended, the quiet that was lost regained. Here, a woman in armour had rested after seeing a boy with dark hair and a foolhardy soul, a man of spice and a rather snide lady off of the snow. She had seen them leave and let them go for that means a quicker return to pondering on her future, her path from this point.

It had not been too long ago. She had soon set out, arriving not long after the vanishment of troops from a fort stationed nearby. She had arrived and found a blood stained mess, an empty fort stained with arrow bolts and the smell of death. She had not long waited before she had vanished.

---

She is bleeding quietly. She moves foward and feels the blood seep down her gauntlet. She is quiet and her eyes are hidden beneath messy hair. She is slow to move due to her amours clink. But she ignores the gash across her shoulder with a slow approximation of what she believes is dignity.

She steps into the town, the guard.. having just gazed, slightly bewildered as she'd offered him some gold peices mixed with silver. And as the gate had shut, her body had walked on automatic here.

She is unaware of the group. She is unaware of the boy, the boy Ormis, moving past him. She is slumped, sword dragging and still, eyes hidden. She says nothing, letting coins drop on the counter, dozens of stained gold and silver peices. Her sword is covered in blood, the jewel encrusted hilt covered in something like blood, but blue, stickier.

And then she is gone, up stairs, silent, to a room, the loud clink of her sword against the stairs.

Lucretia

She walked in silence with the group, not really sure of what to say. She did enjoy the playful banter of the men, it amused her.

"Well, you could probably get a room with Lucretia if you asked politely..."

"Really now?" She asked Ormis. She was tempted to say more but she was tired and realized how much she needed some rest. She hoped that she could find the Witch later to ask her about what's been going on in her head. The memories got stronger and more painful, as if she was reliving them. She hoped inside that it didn't mean her mother was getting closer.

--

Anastasia

Scaling the mountain, Anastasia was shocked by the smell of blood and innards. She drifted towards the smell and noticed bits of flesh from Frost Chameleons.

"Who could have done this..? It looks like they exploded almost." She mused to herself. The Crimson Witch. She realized that this Crimson Witch had more power than she thought.

"I cannot let her find Lucretia before I do." She continued onward, following the trail of blood until it seemingly ended. Looking around, she noticed the town of Reinhaldt.

Is she there? She toyed with the thought of Lucretia or the Witch, or both, being there. She needed to get out of the cold soon. She continued heading down the mountain towards the town in the hopes of finding an inn.

Teis

Teis slipped back into the room as quietly as he could. From what he could see, the other two weren't awake yet. Good. He put down a few coins on the table, and slipped the rest into his own pocket. Then Teis sat down again in his original position.

Ormis

Ormis devoured his meal. It was the best food he'd had in a while, although nearly anything could beat old biscuits saved for emergencies. He didn't really care what it was, just that it was warm. Then he found an empty room and bed and crawled in, quickly falling asleep.

Amera was happy to see everyone getting into the town so quickly, leaping off the gate. "Time for some sleeeeeeeep~" She gave Mr. Weebly a nice smile as she walked in, everyone else seeming to have already went to bed. "Well, darn. That's not fun. But they were tired. Oh well, I can bother them tomorrow." She made her way to the rooms, noticing one of the doors was ajar. Oh~? I wonder whose room this is. She peeked inside, spying Ormis out cold on one of the beds. "Ooohhhh, gotta resist that urge, girl. You've teased him enough for one day." She then proceeded to enter Aurelio's room, not knowing it was his, and collapsed onto the near bed. The room was dark enough that she didn't noticed him on the bed across from her own. Sprawled out on the mattress, it didn't take long for her to fall asleep.

Carrion cried a while longer, her face tear stained and red and her voice hoarse, until she fell asleep. She had a slight smile on her face as she lay there. She couldn't remember her dreams that night, for once. She didn't care to remember them either. At this point she wanted to leave everything behind.

Grant made his way to the gate, surprised to see Amera up top, sitting there. He gave a wave to her and walked on in, going to the Inn where he was greeted by Mr. Weebly. "You one of that girl's friends? You're welcome to stay here for the night, for free. No thanks needed, just doing a favor is all." Grant smiled at the man and at his generosity, "Thanks... I could really use this tonight, thank you so much, sir." And with that, grant grabbed some bread and made his way to his room. He saw a few other ladies enter the Inn, one looking regal and the other looking... battered? He didn't pay it much attention.

THE NEXT MORNING

Carrion woke up, her throat dry from the crying last night, but ultimately she felt extremely good. Her stamina seemed to be back, as was her energy in general. She saw that Adrian wasn't awake yet and figured she owed him for last night, so she didn't wake him yet. With all that running he must have done, he's bound to be exhausted... I'll let him sleep in a little bit, and then we make for Shuthra. I'm positive if there's an answer it has to be there, it just has to be...

Grant got up, stretching. Well that was good... Now to go see if the others have a similar destination again. He spent a good amount of time putting his armor back on comfortably, unfortunately unable to clean it properly from last night but at least the smell was gone. He went down to the common room and simply waited to see if the others would follow or not. He would find that witch without them or not, but he liked numbers being in his favor.

Edited by SlaveBlade

Adrian, actually content, was glad to see Riya finally sleeping, after all that crying. "Get some rest, you'll need it..." he whispered, closing his own eyes. He'd never slept with someone there, in his arms. It was a reassuring feeling, and it almost made him sleep more contently than he normally did.

THE NEXT MORNING...

Adrian felt a certain warmth leaving him, rolling over a bit. "Jes' five more minute..." he mumbled to himself, not really realizing it was morning yet. He rolled over again, this time enough for him to fall off the bed, causing a loud crash, and waking himself up. "Who, what?!" His groggy senses managed to pull himself back onto the bed, noticing he was shirtless, and that Carrion wasn't far from the bed. His memory was also quite blurry. "What... happened, last night?"

Edited by seph1212

"You don't remember?!" She shot at him, almost furious but more let down than anything. She thought she had found someone who would understand her... "But apparently I was wrong..." she mumbled to herself. "What the hell is wrong with you?! I let it all out and you just... you just fucking forget it all in a matter of hours? God DAMN you. Here I am, thinking you were actually caring about me, but no. God dammit..." She smashed her face in the pillow, wanting to cry again, but she was too mixed up in general to do so.

"Whoa, whoa, what--!" and then his mind clicked, remembering most of what she'd said. Her yelling was helping him jog his memory. "I do, I do! You told me about your brother, and how you want to find a way to bring him back! I just forgot for a moment, I'm sorry... And... I was kinda wondering if, anything... else... happened, when I asked..." He looked away from her, his face the same color as the night before when she'd grabbed his arm. "I... I remember you started crying, but after that, I can't remember much other than sleeping." Oh god, we did something, didn't we? Oh god, we probably did. Adrian glanced around the room quickly, noticing that the man who had shown up the night before was gone. Whether that was good or bad was to be seen, but at the moment, he didn't really care. "Listen, I'm... sorry for making you freak like that. I really do remember what you told me last night, alright?"

Damn, that was fast. Elune rode on her horse into Reinhaldt. It was already morning, but she was used to staying up for over a day to get jobs done. Now she just needed more info.

She went to the first inn, brought her horse to the stables, and entered. Once again, she took out the photo she had and showed it to the innkeeper.

"This man here... His name is Kardel, isn't it? Have you seen a man like this?"

The innkepeer laughed. "Oh, yes, miss. He stayed the night here - Room 4. He should still be in his room; do you have any business with him?"

This is way too easy. "A little, sir. I'll handle it myself." She took back the picture and left the inn. She smiled to herself and placed her hand on her crossbow. Now to find a good spot... And he's dead~

Ormis

Ormis sat up. He had no idea what time it was. However, he did notice that the door of the room was ajar. He must have left it open last night.

Oh well...

He got out of bed, was waved down by Mr. Weebly when he suggested working for pay and had half a loaf of bread for breakfast. Ormis was on his way out of the inn when he spotted Grant in one of the common rooms. The boy walked in and yawned.

"Morning."

Teis

Teis ignored to two arguing a few feet away. There was no point in getting involved with someone else's personal problems, unless they started attacking each other. He instead ran a hand down the shaft of his axe, making sure that it was in good condition. It was, like always. He sometimes wondered why it never seemed to get scratched or broken, but he always figured that his father just happened to be a more skillful craftsman.

Father...

Slowly, he reached around to where the other axe was, just making sure it was still there.

It wasn't.

Shit! Shit! Where could I have left it? Dammit, I'm not losing that so soon after spending ten crowns to fix it!

Back at the inn, a recently repaired battle axe rested against the wall in the corridor leading to Aurelio's room.

Carrion sighed and kept her face in the pillow to hide her embarrassment at her unrealistic expectations. "Fine. I'm sorry..." She muffled through her pillow, rolling over. "I shouldn't be getting so pissed so easily. I did lay it all on so quickly last night, so i guess I just assumed you would remember it all... Look, I'll make it up to you, you have your sword still?" She looked around, not seeing it, then gave Adrian a confused look.

Grant saw Ormis and waved. "Morning, kid. you up for this?" He asked, assuming he knew exactly what he meant.

Ormis

"Up for what? If you mean finding some mage to blow up the place for us so Scarlet'll expose herself, sure."

Ormis took out a map of town that he'd received from a guard the night before.

"Now, in all seriousness, it's not very likely that she's in town. Her reappearance would definitely cause some reaction, since there's a huge bounty on her head. Therefore, she's in one of these small villages here."

The boy stuck his finger onto a little one, not too far out of the way. Ten minutes' travel on foot, at most.

((Yes he's overlooking the fact that Shuthra doesn't have a bounty on her. He's dense, shut up.))

"It's alright, I can't blame you for freaking out." Adrian, glad that she had calmed down, sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed. That was a lot to take in, but, I'm not gonna go and forget all if just like that. Stretching out, he remembered he lacked a shirt, and became a bit embarrassed. At least my pants are still on. She mentioned his sword, and he looked around for it, only to freeze as he remember where it was. "Uh... yeah, I kinda forgot that on the mountain... while we were being chased... Sorry?" Great, weaponless and half naked. What a potent combo.

'Gh... Uhhhhh...'

The sounds echoing from the ajar door are not ones of pleasantries. They are ones of sleeping pain, of echoes from nightmares and wounds. In the room, a woman sleeps fully armoured, no trust to leave herself bare at present. She feels sick, her head shooting up from the pillow at one point with green cheeks, pale every other spot of skin. Her body is in a cold sweat and her armour still damp. She cannot help but feel slightly claw tipped gloves gripping the bed side with her stomach managing cartwheels quite early on in the morning. She has only one word that echoes quite resound from her lips, that as she sits up, she grunts it to herself, falling flat back against the breath and making herself breath a bit more to help her lungs ease the sharpness tightened around them.

'Mother...'

Lucinda was awoken from her beauty sleep by devilish noises coming from somewhere next door or down the hall. All she cared about was proper sleep and a stern talking-to to whoever was causing this infernal racket. She marched down the hall, still clad in her silk nightgown and a matching nightcap, and straight to the source. Luckily, the door was ajar, so she merely gave it a slight push. "Excuse me, madam, but do you have any idea what time it is? I have not obtained my six hours of beauty sleep an-- why, in the name of the almighty and revered Goddess-- are your sheets sullied with blood?"

Edited by Sakusa

'....Why?'

Her throat croaks the words, dry and slightly battered from harsh winds of yesterdays work. Her head tilts upward and her eyes are wide... they are also slightly manic, delirium settled quite comfortably into the eyes of the woman. She begins to sit up and her bloodied armour, her cuts lacerating her armour, visible as her body wobbles, standing resolutely against whatever it is that is making her blood boil and her skin sweat quietly from the unheard nightmares from before.

'I will... tell you. Why is down to an unfortunate encounter... watching innocents die because they may or may not have seen someone of slight importance. Why is trying to raise your sword in kindness yet knowing the act of raising a sword can never truly be done in a kind manner, a kind sense of self. Why is knowing that however hard you try, sometimes, the blows will hit, the cuts will gather, you will come closer to falling in the line of battle. And all you do may be for a reason that may or may not exist. All of it, ALL OF IT!'

Her last words begin to shake the body she possesses as she advances on the girl, tall even when slumped, dark hair wild.. eyes burning like charcoal flame..

She shook her head, disregarding the woman's erratic behavior, pitying the poor soul that was in front of her. "You, my dear, are in need of guidance. Have you welcomed the Goddess of Light into your heart?" She placed a hand on the woman's unwounded arm. "I'll see to it that your wounds are tended to, dear. An infection will have dire consequences."

'Goddess..?' She looks into the eyes of the woman touching her arm and see's pity there. She shrugs off her hand and growling as if she is simply giving her pity without care, she turns with little regard for her, slipping to the door past her and her body is quiet a moment. Half of her is still reeling, a tidal wave of pain actually crashing against her nervous system. But she refuses pity. She will always refuse pity for the things she does. She shakes and walks past, her sword left in the bedroom for a moment by the bed, her armoured self heading for the bathroom. She will clean the blood up, let the wound heal and she will, somehow, leave. And hopefully in the process feel somewhat closer to a less pitiable human being.

"You... dropped your..." she sighed, rubbing her forehead. "OK, we can work around this... We may need to go take a few jobs, preferably somewhere Shuthra. Of all the places in this land, they'll probably be the least likely to care who I am, not to mention they're the most magically inclined, next to Lushira, but I'm avoiding that place at all costs. So uh... go grab a shirt and we can get going, please?"

"Huh... Well I'll be damned, you're on top of this shit, aren't ya?" Grant smirked at the kid being all business like. "So do we wait for the others or do you wanna go now?"

"I'm really sorry about that..." He wished he'd grabbed it, but in the hurry of it all, he'd forgotten. It made him feel like an idiot, but, he didn't mind taking Riya's suggestion of a few odd jobs. "Shuthra's not that bad of a place. And getting work should be easy, there." She sounded a bit embarrassed to be telling him to grab a shirt, which made him more embarrassed. "I-I don't think there's one here, but I can check." He had spotted a dresser in the room over from the washroom the night before, so it'd be better to check that than do nothing. Rummaging through, he found a shirt, which was barely larger than his old one. Walking back in "Riya, ready to leave, then?" He didn't know if that other man was still hanging around. He hadn't seen him all morning.

Edited by seph1212