Brawl or melee

HongLei

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which is preferred

I just had a smash party with some of my friends, and we played both brawl and melee. About then I started to realize how much better I like melee. I like the physics and such much better, and brawl seems to be a lot more dumbed down for younger kids. marth is actually good in melee O_o

To be honest both are great in their own right, but for me Brawl feels like more care was put into it (though why Sakurai put tripping in the game is beyond me). Seriously I didn't care too much when the pacing of Smash Bros. was slowed down a bit when it made the jump from Melee to Brawl, and for that reason Melee will always have a place in my heart, but both games are very good. If there was a both option I probably would have picked that.

I got amused by the tripping thing :mellow:

But yeah I like the huuuuge story in Brawl and the variety of characters. I do kind of like the stage-making thing but hope the next one will broaden choices for that one. I like how you can mess around with the songs on stages and how there are so much more songs.

But I like melee because, as mentioned already, brawl just seemed like movements got slower and I prefer the way it is in melee.

I guess I'd like melee for the battles and brawl for all the extras. But since super smash bros is more for the fights, then that bumps up melee a whole bunch. Soooo it kinda ties it for me... =/

When I played Melee after playing Brawl so much, I was surprised by how much more WEIGHTY Melee was! It's like Brawl injects a gallon of helium every match into every character compared to Melee! I had more fun IMO with Melee, so it gets my vote, but Brawl still was/is a gr9 game.

I much prefer Brawl. I liked Melee and played it a lot, but Brawl just blew Melee out of the water for me. The main reason is probably the music variety and quality, since I like my music in games a lot and Brawl massively delivers in that department. Asides from that, the action feels slower and more tactical rather than reactions based as it feels in Melee.

Not sure they both have their ins and outs, but I will say that coin launcher is a piece of shit at least with the lottery you had a fighting chance of getting the last trophies, with Brawl I've been stuck on 543 for months now.

I can't really say I lean towards either side here.

It's true what people said, melee is heavier and faster-paced. Plus it has a nostalgia factor for me--it was one of my first GC games ever. And Mewtwo... Plus it had some of the most awesome stages I've played on. But that's somewhat cancelled out.

As for Brawl, well, in a way I like the light and slower pace just as much as its counterpart. It allows for a lot more fighting in the air, which sort of works well for my character of choice: Pikachu. Speaking of Pikachu, I'm pretty sure they didn't have the increased power at his body when using thunder in Melee. Brawl's physics, in a way, allowed me to string my moves together much better. Although that could be because at that point I was old enough that I started studying meticulous things about Brawl instead of just playing.

In any case, now that I look back on my post, it seems like I've given Brawl more support. Well, I know that I had a lot of fun with Melee, I just haven't played it in nearly as long. That's why I can't fairly render my opinion even if I listed more favorable things about Brawl.

Edited by Lux Aeterna

I disagree about graphics and music not mattering. They are lower priority than gameplay, yes, but of the four things you mentioned, I would say that gameplay is most important followed by music, then either graphics or fanservice (depending on what kind of fanservice...)

Guess there isn't as much importance to music and stuff, but I think it's just preference. I for one actually do care about that type of stuff just because... Idk cause I love music? =D I just know that I like having all these different songs from games I used to play and that is kinda nostalgic for me too.

And I do tend to like better graphics. :Sain:

• 4 weeks later...