Thracia 776 - Chronicles of a Newbie

Janissary

I just grabbed Thracia 776 and beat the first chapter. I am donig a mostly blind playthrough of it, and will be posting my finds here for you all to enjoy. I have only played FEs 6-8 and 11, so this should be good.

Chapter 1 thoughts:

Leaf, you kind of suck. You must have awesome growths.

Eyvel - 8 MOV?? WTF?

Catch Command - ....wut? I can take enemy arms? I feel like this is abuseable...

Turn 2 player units: I get a Swrdmstr AND a Warrior? How hard is this game?

Marty's stats...wtf? 15 RES? 0 SPD and SKL? Major WTF moment.

EDIT: Further.. not RES. I guess Marty isn't the dedicated mage killer :awesome:

Overall, I thought this was an easy chapter. I didn't even abuse how broken Eyvel is in this chapter. I just assumed she was Jeigan and would be semi-bad soon enough.

Edited by Janissary

That's Build, not Res. Res = Mag in this game.

I guess that necessitates the question of what is build? I just assumed it was RES because of the placement in the list.

EDIT: It's probably CON.

Edited by Janissary

Build affects capturing. You need a higher build than the enemy to capture. That's one of the reasons why Dagda is pretty great.

Mov growths are usually 1-3% though. And it doesn't notify you when you gain mov.

Edited by Spykitty

It does. It appears in a box. In the rubbish translation that most seem to have it proclaims that 'Anim' is up in a variety of garbled fonts.

Enjoy it ^^ FE5 is when the series turned into the more modern series, introducing and dropping concepts which have recently become staples of the series. You'll feel a lot more at home than the rest of the first half of the games.

Also, it's gonna be an interesting sort of different for you. Hope it's a fun one!

(you know, I'm surprised that garbled mess hasn't been fixed in the three, four years since the patch was last updated. maybe one of us should put up a small addendum patch?)

Edited by Celice

Turn 2 player units: I get a Swrdmstr AND a Warrior? How hard is this game?

It gets harder, especially since you're doing a blind run.

<Would love to spoil what the game as to offer>

But you'll see. Just don't expect what normally happens in normal FEs.

*coughgreenunitscough*

*coughgreenunitscough*

Yeah, I found that one out the hard way in Open Fire.

This game is an absolute nightmare for blind runs. If at any point you start worrying about your sanity don't be afraid to look at a guide.

Oh, she becomes pretty bad pretty soon.

Not to mention that

she disappears for most of the game, only returning in arguably the most bullshit chapter in the game.

Also, if you are having trouble figuring out which units are good and which are not, check out one of the FE5 tier lists.

It gets harder, especially since you're doing a blind run.

<Would love to spoil what the game as to offer>

*coughgreenunitscough*

I heard it was pretty hard, so when a Warrior and a Swrdmstr showed up first map I got curious. Should be interesting to see how it's difficulty progresses. The biggest issue I anticipate in a blind run is that I have to read the script conversations I don't know how to recruit every character. Oh well, that's part of the fun.

This game is an absolute nightmare for blind runs. If at any point you start worrying about your sanity don't be afraid to look at a guide.

I said semi-blind because I've been looking up units statistically speaking so I don't screw myself like I did in some other FEs. It'd be nice to finish my first playthrough of a game for once.

EDIT: I went to the house in the south outside the city and two or three in the city. I don't remember how many axes I got.

Edited by Janissary

One thing you need to keep in mind is fatigue (a stat unique to Thracia 776). Each time a unit enters battle, steals, uses a staff, or dances, the fatigue stat goes up by one (higher ranked and personal staves causes it to go up by larger amounts). If this stat goes up above the unit's max HP, he/she has to sit out the next chapter. Stamina drinks are used to counter this, but they are not common. Leaf does not have this problem. Starting with chapter 8, the effects of fatigue will kick in.

Edited by BLS

I didn't find the S Drinks too helpful myself. It's good if you want to keep using the same character(s) across chapters, but for most of the chapters I was able to just have some back-up characters on the sides to fill in when needed.

S Drinks should be kept for when you need a specific character for a map (like for recruiting other characters, or in two specific cases, for event promotions). Or if an extra staff user is needed (which are broken in this game).