Thracia 776 - Chronicles of a Newbie

Janissary

I didn't find the S Drinks too helpful myself. It's good if you want to keep using the same character(s) across chapters, but for most of the chapters I was able to just have some back-up characters on the sides to fill in when needed.

I admit, I did have a full half dozen unused ones at the end.

Near the end, though, I was averaging one or two per chapter in order to fill up all my deployment slots. I pretty much benched everyone I decided not to end up promoting. Also there were definitely a few chapters where I needed lots of lol staff users. Not to mention that I have a pathological fear of ending chapters before I've killed all of the reinforcements, so stamina levels were always high...

I've always found it more useful to hoard them than not. While I did usually end up only using three or four (out of maybe 20 collected over the course of the game), they're nice to have on hand as a crutch if you need a powerful character who just happens to be out of it for that round. (Read: Asvel, Fergus)

Or, like that other dude said, if you want to promote Linoan or that other person whose name escapes me, you can use him/her with gusto in the previous chapter without worrying about fatigue.

I beat Chapter 2. Hooray for Magic based swords. Thoughts:

Canto after attack? Cool.

Weapon uses on misses? Lame.

Quality of translation Patch? Bad; it would be nice to see the menu and not gibberish, but hey, at least some of it is in english.

I got to Chapter 2x. Apparently fog of war works like age of empires in this game? lolwut? Troll.

Are you reading things on how to recruit each character? There's a good one on this website somewhere. I recommend you make darn sure you get Shiva.

I haven't, but I decided I am going to so that I don't get uber trolled.

So, the only things I am going to know about this game are:

-stats

-recruitment

-how to get the gaidens

Everything else is a surprise.

Edited by Janissary

The character recruitment is pretty straightforward, except for maybe Misha ._. Well, and some strange capture requirement once or twice, but even then, the player usually has enough intuition to know what to do.

The character recruitment is pretty straightforward, except for maybe Misha ._. Well, and some strange capture requirement once or twice, but even then, the player usually has enough intuition to know what to do.

You forgot about Xavier.

[spoiler=Xavier's recruitment]Xavier's recruit requirement is literally the most half-assed and difficult recruitment in the game, nay, the whole series. You basically have to go out of your way to get the 8 NPC pawns locked in the western cell block to convert the 8 jimmies below Xavier into NPCs, which is difficult enough as it is as the NPCs need protection from enemies, who will inevitably capture them. Also, there are Freege knights mixed in with the Lenster knights, so you need to kill them before opening the door. If you have something like Olwen with a Bolting, use it. I used a 20 Con disarmed Othin to block the Lenster knights while using Tanya to kill the Freege dudes, so I guess my strat works too.

As for actually converting the Lenster knights into NPCs, each pawn has to talk to a certain knight. As for which pawn need to talk to which knight... go look it up on WOD or something. Anyway, I don't recall if the knights will capture the pawns(I know Xavier won't touch them), but the red knights and Xavier WILL attack any green knights that enter their range. And considering that the axe dudes are carrying hammers and the lance dudes are carrying Killers, this can get ugly fairly fast. Note that the green knights don't actually have to survive, but a green could accidentally kill a red, which you obviously don't want.

After all that trouble, which takes anywhere from 10-30 turns, you'll finally get Xavier. The question is 'Is he worth it?'. Well, he is a fairly good tank with some useful skills, and can use every axe and bow right off the bat. His only real downside is that he only has E lances, and that his speed and luck bases are questionable. Also, he really wants the leg ring.

As for getting Xavier AND the VIP card, don't bother. You'd be wasting a lot of fucking time.

Also, Authority stars give a 3 hit+Evade bonus for each one you have (Leaf's will vary through the story, Fin has one, Eyvale has one, Glade has one, Xavier has one, Amalda/Conomore has 1, Sety has one, and Cyas has 3(As a playable character, and during chapter 23, he has 5, but they only apply to himself.)). Be sure to take advantage of them. Also, enemies have authority stars too (Look forward to 2 special chapters that abuses this in and out).

Weapon uses on misses? Lame.

Depends on the weapon. As a rule of thumb, weapons attacking at range consume uses upon missing, but if you have to swing the weapon, it won't cost a use.

I got to Chapter 2x. Apparently fog of war works like age of empires in this game? lolwut? Troll.

The one good thing about fog of war in this game is that you don't need to be able to see the map in order to warp or rewarp units into it.

Scrolls are a good thing to know about too, I think? I don't know if there's any way at all to know what they do WITHOUT looking it up, to be honest. And they're useful.

Scrolls are perfectly, completely superfluous.

Probably the biggest thing that the scrolls do that make this game easier on a blind run would be the fact that they're essentially Iron Runes.

Unless I'm being an idiot (as usual) and overestimating enemy crit rates.

Edited by CT075

Overestimating crit rates in Thracia? heresy

Scrolls are perfectly, completely superfluous.

About time they get lumped in with Heroes Swords and promotion items--no reason to pay attention to unnecessary products~

Best of luck with this. Thracia can be quite brutal to play through blind, although the first few chapters will do a good job of lulling you into a sense of complacency.

I.... Is there some sort of in-joke I'm missing here? unsure.gif

He's just making fun of saying that items that give free benefits are not necessary, even though they may still be incredibly good/useful.

Edited by Silvercrow

My point - which Celice so hastily misconstrued (not like I expected anything else) - was that scrolls are too often perceived as being incredibly good or useful and really aren't so in practice. On 90% of characters, no amount of scrolling will keep them from being wrecked by status staves or help them bypass +10 def, +30 avo throne bonuses to any effective extent, nor will it really alleviate any of the frustration experienced in maps where enemies have double digit leadership.

New players tend to get overly meticulous with trading around scrolls and figuring out how to use them on every level up for every character. It's a waste of time and detracts from the rest of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Success of all staves (minus Torch) is contingent upon an accuracy formula, which is on the website. If you don't want to spoil its exact workings, however, just know that it's dependent solely on the user's skl, and nothing else.

You can get many warps/rewarps in this game via capture. I took advantage of this and it helped me out.

Rule of Thumb: when you see a Merc with a portrait on him of an angry person, make sure you don't try to take him on, he will kill you! galzus.png

On my first playthrough I tried taking him on for no reason other than stupidity, well I did the same with the Black Knight so I guess I never learn my lesson. :facepalm:

Edited by JosefLior

You can get many warps/rewarps in this game via capture. I took advantage of this and it helped me out.

Rule of Thumb: when you see a Merc with a portrait on him of an angry person, make sure you don't try to take him on, he will kill you! galzus.png

On my first playthrough I tried taking him on for no reason other than stupidity, well I did the same with the Black Knight so I guess I never learn my lesson. :facepalm:

Or you could let him capture one of your units, and then capture him for his sword. Not on your first runthrough though.

Or you could let him capture one of your units, and then capture him for his sword. Not on your first runthrough though.

Oh! This just gave me the motivation to play again. Well it's time for me to F*** S*** up! :XD: