Teenage life

Lilmik11

So, here's some questions: What kind of teenager are or were you? How do you feel about that? Was or is teenage life hard for you? Did or do you like that time of your life? Let's just discuss.

I'll just go from currently.

What kind of teenager are or were you?

Sure, I'm popular, but only within a certain group. Everyone in the marching band knows each other, so in a sense, aren't we all popular among ourselves? I guess I am also somewhat nerdy. However, most of the people in the band are, so what? (At least we're better than the football team, one of the worst in New England, yet we're one of the best marching bands in New England). I guess in any other situation we'd be insulted and harassed, but we've won awards, and we've gone way farther than most of the school has with our team. Even though we have to deal with some problems with social related things, it's not as bad as it could be.

How do you feel about that?

It's alright. I mean, I don't regret any major decisions, and I think I'm happy with everything up until now, and I wouldn't want to change anything huge.

Was or is teenage life hard for you?

Yes. Very. But, if life were not challenging, it wouldn't be fun? I guess I've had a few bad incidents here and there, but if I've learned anything, it's to keep going down the path you started. Even if it isn't the best idea that I made to try an instrument a few years ago, I don't see it as a bad decision. But it's hard to cram in schoolwork, practice, maintenance towards social life, and sleep all within the time we have (usually meaning we cut down on the latter).

Do I like this time of my life?

Sort of. I guess I don't sometimes, other times I do. It all depends on what's going on, really. Sometimes I'm down on everything, other times I'm happy about everything.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, here's some questions: What kind of teenager are or were you? How do you feel about that?

I'm the nerdy, loner-ish, sort of quite unless around friends, type of teenager. I'm also socially anxious. I don't get bullied at the very least (atleast not most of the time, usually happens when i sit in fron of some annoying douche in a presentation or something... I hate those bastards ;_; worst thing is i'd probably get in trouble if i do anything, life is so unfair. Its so tempting to turn around and punch them... The best i could do was turn around and tell them to stop.) Surprisingly though, i tend to make more friends than enemies, and i'm starting to think people don't have such a bad view of me, as i used to think. How i make friends is beyond me though :mellow:

? Not really, aside from things that i could have avoided, not very hard. I get fed, have a house, and the internet to make me happy. I mean sure, sometimes (specially moving) school can be hard. With all those embarrasing and awkward moments. Also the fact that i'm not very good at speakig makes it worst, and presentations usually went horrible (with me becoming red like a freaking tomato)... School can certainly be stressful at times... I never have seen teenage life as difficult. Most of the time its just overreacting to little things...

Did or do you like that time of your life?

Not particularly, its nothing special... :/ I definately don't see why people say its the best part of your life.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if I'm welcome again on this thread after what happened and I offended what seemed like a LOT of you, but I'm looking that over and I want to make a fresh start. So I'll start with the questions.

I'd like to think I'm an average teenager, if that can actually be defined. I have friends whom I love more than anything, a family, a fandom (anime/video games) and all the emotions that come with being a teenager. I get upset, I have moments of stupidity and embarrassment, and I have moments of total happiness. I'm generally seen as a nerd, and that's cool with me. I don't want to be mainstream - I see it personally as being a sheep, but if that's whatever floats your boat, then I won't stop anybody from doing what they do best. I know I'm not perfect - nobody is, so I'm not even gonna try. I like to dream big, but any dream is better than none at all. Some people may think this is stupid or whatever, but I like to think I have a guardian angel that sort of guides me and tells me what to do through signs I get in my dreams. I believe taking every opportunity life throws at you is the way to step forward, but what harm is there in taking a step back and reflecting on your life? Everyone experiences teenage life differently.

Pretty good. Life needs variety, otherwise it'd be SO DAMN BORING. Why be happy all the time, because you can't be happy without being sad - but what makes you sad makes you stronger. I'm satisfied exactly where I am at the moment, and teenager-dom only comes around once in your life, so live it to the fullest and go out and do every reckless and stupid thing you can before you have to start work. There are some things I'd give up, like exams and stress, but failing gives you a wake-up call, doing average means nothing more can be asked of you, and doing well gives you satisfaction. Teenagers always have one thing that makes them the happiest, like their friends or if not, their family, or even just a memory. I can perfectly understand that teenage life is not a breeze for everybody, and it can be so hard to see what to do and who to turn to when the going gets tough, but that's okay. Someone will always take the time to listen, and you're never, EVER alone. Ever.

Of course it's hard. There are things we don't want to happen in our lives, people we'd rather not know, and memories we'd rather not have. It's a difficult time for everybody at some point, and the hormones certainly don't help in the slightest. I've had times when the person I like doesn't like me back, friends have turned their backs on me, and embarrassing moments I never want to live again. But everything that's been difficult has somehow been squashed by everything I've enjoyed about being a teenager. You get freedom, you have fun, and you sometimes think to yourself 'can life get any better than this?' so that makes all the bad stuff seem insignificant. It sure hasn't been easy to be a teenager, but then it hasn't been hard.

Do I like this time of my life?

Sure, why not enjoy it? You only experience your teenage years once. I've had fun, and this is when you start to remember things - I remember next to nothing of my childhood, but the last 3-or-so years (I'm 15) have been really potent in my head and the memories have stuck with me. So yes, I do like this time of my life.

Hope my answer is of some help... again, sorry for offending some of you. I didn't mean it, stuff just came out wrong! You know how it is.

--heronprincess23

i was very lucky to end up in a happy mindset right before freshman year. i owe it all, still, to my favorite game. swear that thing saved my life.

not that i was going to kill myself or anything. i mean it gave me life. at a point where i had to start making one. yeah. pretty fucking awesome. never better.

i'm happy and chill and i have a plan and shits great. the only thing i don't like is that i have trouble sympathizing (with girls usually) about problems and negative feelings that are mostly self-pity and just negative outlooks on EVERYTHING because teenagers. i can't understand it. i never really had that. or, maybe i did, but never to the extent that most people do.

Was or is teenage life hard for you? Did or do you like that time of your life? Let's just discuss.

no its fucking awesome being young and beautiful and healthy without half of the responsibiltes or expectations of say, a college student. i'm uber grateful, once again, to that game for making keeping me happy and going strong with all the flare and grace i'd ever want.

I have an opinion that nobody here is going to like.

Boo fucking hoo. Grow up.

No, seriously. I'm sick of listening to kids whine about how their lives are so hard just because their social life isn't perfect. Go out, make some friends and don't whine about it on the internet. Even if it's just 2 or 3 close buddies, that's still "friends". Besides, I'd rather have 2 people that I can count on with my life at stake than 100 that wouldn't lift a finger to help me from drowning.

Once again. This.

Seriously. Live your life and stop bitching that you have no friends or that you're a loser or anything. If you want to go out and be popular, make the fucking effort. Go out to parties, get social with people, start spending time away from your computer and with friends. This doesn't mean drinking or drugs, it just means gaining a social life.

I have a wallpaper which perfectly describes my feelings. It's why I do what I do; at the end of the day, I have no regrets whatsoever. Mods, don't take down the picture, it's completely relevant.

Life.jpg

Once again. This.

Seriously. Live your life and stop bitching that you have no friends or that you're a loser or anything. If you want to go out and be popular, make the fucking effort. Go out to parties, get social with people, start spending time away from your computer and with friends. This doesn't mean drinking or drugs, it just means gaining a social life.

I have a wallpaper which perfectly describes my feelings. It's why I do what I do; at the end of the day, I have no regrets whatsoever. Mods, don't take down the picture, it's completely relevant.

Doesn't really work that way, dude. Some people aren't able to do that. Personally it wasn't possible for me. I grew up in a tiny, little redneck town in the middle of nowhere where almost everyone seemed like a parody of a hillbilly. These kinds of people I didn't want to hang out with. I found them boring and uninteresting. I also couldn't get permission to go out at night passed a certain time, so even if I lied to my parents I couldn't go to parties, and either way I didn't even want to hang out with the people around me. The only people who were even worth a shit were in a similar case as me. Sure, I hung out with my little nerd group, but I got ridiculed by others all the same.

Then again, I was never really someone who pissed and moaned about this. Instead I came to terms with that after high school, I wasn't going to see nor care about any of these people ever again, so I spent most of my time developing my adult sense of thought and furthering my relationship with my parents (though the latter might be hard for other people, too). I got most of my social fix online from people I met from FESS. College is where I met decent enough people who I felt I can actually create long lasting bonds with.

AND since this post has all in all become long, I'll spoiler tag my answers to the original questions.

[spoiler=bob's teenage years]What kind of teenager are or were you?

I was one of those lucky kids that grew up with TK Syndrome (Teacher's Kid Syndrome). What this means is that all of my peers thought I got special treatment from the school, and all my teachers graded me harsher and expected me to outperform all other kids SOLELY based on the fact my dad was also a teacher at the school. I didn't really let this bother me, though. I excelled at sports and managed good grades, and I even formed a little garage band with a couple friends and recorded a decent demo album with them. Other than that, I didn't really do much. I didn't party, I didn't do anything illegal, I was just a fairly reserved, athletic nerd. Most of my time was actually spent on FESS and talking with online friends. I didn't like very many people around my area, and because my school was small (graduating class of 44) there weren't many friends to choose from.

Honestly, I'm cool with everything. I met a lot of cool people online and I was able to actually be myself with them. I had to "play the game" in high school, which means even though I was complying with what everyone said and brown-nosing my way to respect, I actually didn't like anyone around me.

Socially it was mildly difficult. I only had about 5 people I could actually consider friends IRL, and not even close ones. Other than TK Syndrome and the occasional getting stood up for a date, nothing else really bothered me. I played sports, videogames, watched anime, chatted with some awesome friends online, and took my first step into chasing my dream to become a musician.

Did I like this time of my life?

Yes and no. Yes because it wasn't a shitty childhood. No because being an adult is much more fucking awesome. Honestly, this whole responsibility for myself thing, paying my own rent, feeding myself, working, and all that is something I really like and really enjoy. Most people I grew up with always say "Man, wouldn't it be nice to go back to when we were young like 6? Back in a time where we had no worries and were innocent." And my response has always been "Fuck no! sex is too awesome I would never trade all this knowledge and respect I've gained by being an adult for 'innocence."