Teenage life

Lilmik11

Personally, I would say that teenage life is different for everyone. I'm one of five girls at my school that like anime or videogames, and most of the girls at school are just horrible. They are all the types of girls that wear thousands of layers of fake tan, backcomb their hair, wear ridiculous amounts of make-up, wear tiny dresses even though they're 14 and post pictures of themselves looking downright tacky on Facebook. Unfortunately, these girls are everywhere at my school, and we also get a fair share of those that do the stereotypical teenage stuff, like drink and take drugs and go to house parties. I don't drink EVER, I've had one sip of wine in my life and that is as far as it goes, and I would never stoop so low as to take drugs that kill you.

Speaking of drugs, last year I found that one of my friends had got in with the wrong crowd and was carrying marijuana around school. Some of her friends were selling cigarettes and selling drugs. Me and my best friend went straight to the headmistress with all of this, and snuffed out our friends - but at least we saved a few lives. My closest friend has stopped carrying it around, but we know that the others still sell it and take it, so there's nothing much we can do. For a while, the girls involved didn't talk to me or my best friend, but it's all okay now, and we're actually getting on better with them!

As for me being an anime and videogame nerd, I'm happy where I stand. Nerds have a happier existence because we don't care about what people think of us, whereas popular people are always worrying about people's opinion of them.

I hope my story will be of some use to you all, and I wish you all a happy teenage life!!

- heronprincess23

This. This!

Where i am, There are much more of these people! It makes me sickdry.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular people don't need to always worry about what other people think of them. We know everyone likes us, that's why we're popular.

EDIT: You can substitute "like" with "hate", "jealous of", "talks about", whatever. All it means is that you're thinking of us one way or the other.

Edited by frat_tastic

Yeah I can also be pretty insecure about that.

I always felt I was more lucky in my high school. It is in a small town and there was definitely drama and whatnot, but only a few people were like those stuck up girls that always worried about their looks. The rest just wanted to hang and make friends and play sports and have fun with each other. A small amount of them, or as far as I've known at least, did drugs. Idk as much about parties, but I at least know that it wasn't like partying every night for the people in my school.

College is way worse party-wise XD Although it is probably just that the college I landed myself into is why it seems so much worse. But yeah it's like the time where everyone's off on their own and are growing to the drinking age (although even if they're not of age it doesn't stop them) so they are much more likely to do it.

And when it came to work in my high school, some of the teachers were serious with homework, but otherwise a huge majority of the teachers in my school were really lax about it. That's what makes it hard on me switching from that high school to uni because homework really builds up in this.

Speaking of drugs, last year I found that one of my friends had got in with the wrong crowd and was carrying marijuana around school. Some of her friends were selling cigarettes and selling drugs. Me and my best friend went straight to the headmistress with all of this, and snuffed out our friends - but at least we saved a few lives. My closest friend has stopped carrying it around, but we know that the others still sell it and take it, so there's nothing much we can do. For a while, the girls involved didn't talk to me or my best friend, but it's all okay now, and we're actually getting on better with them!

That's cool you made up or whatever, but marijuana's not killing any one, I don't see why you reported them. I don't smoke it, so I don't look shit up on it, but I've known literally hundreds of people who smoke pot that are just fine, and have never heard of a marijuana related death. Anecdotal, but still.

As for me being an anime and videogame nerd, I'm happy where I stand. Nerds have a happier existence because we don't care about what people think of us, whereas popular people are always worrying about people's opinion of them.

Awesome for you. Not every one wants to have fewer friends, or is less happy when they do have more. I know I would've probably been less self-conscious had I had more friends in high school.

I'm sorry that my comment seems to have upset quite a significant number of you - it's just my view, nothing more than that, I'm not judging anybody and I'm not saying that those who choose to take that path are bad people, I'm just saying that by hurting their bodies and themselves they do not realise how many other people they are hurting. That's why I said that they were horrible because by putting their pictures up and making people think that they are girls who can be objectified are hurting others who had higher opinions of them, and it probably hurts their parents to think that their daughter at such a young age is potentially selling herself as a sex object to people that she knows - and it could destroy any chance that girl will have at a true, loving relationship if she does have a desire to be objectified and looked at in that way. They are not intentionally being horrible - they do not understand that what they are doing is hurting others more than they may realise.

It killed me to see my friends hurting themselves by taking drugs and drinking, and I know of someone in my own family whose life was ruined by drugs. My grandmother told me what happened to her, and I could really see how much it was hurting her and my aunt to watch her sinking deeper and deeper - when you have personal experiences like that, it's hard to believe that drugs are OK. My friend knows of someone who died from drug overdose - and it all started with marijuana, and got worse right up until the day they died.

Once again, I deeply apologise to those people that were offended by my comments; please let me know what I can do to make up for offending you. I wish you all a happy time on the forums and in your lives, whatever you may choose to do with them.

- heronprincess23

Tall poppy~

You're making this part up. ... And you have a headmistress? Where do you even go to? And yeah it's been said already but you didn't save any lives (depending on the drugs, but it's implied), you merely proved you were a disloyal friend.
While I'm genuinely glad you're happy with yourself, I am personally glad that the opinions people have of me are generally positive ones, that I can talk to anyone without embarrassing them, and that I feel in touch with the community.

And yes, everything you're saying exudes an aura of smug superiority and self-righteousness. "They aren't intentionally terrible people, they're just too stupid to know any better!" Doesn't run with me, kid.

Edited by Furetchen

You're making this part up. ... And you have a headmistress? Where do you even go to? And yeah it's been said already but you didn't save any lives (depending on the drugs, but it's implied), you merely proved you were a disloyal friend.

Hmm...even though I think she was misguided, it could be argued that with her over-exaggerated concern about illicit substances she was actually proving herself a loyal friend by doing her best to keep them on the straight and narrow. If pot actually was a serious mistake, then it would be the loyal thing to get your friends to stop making that mistake if possible, and it seems she was operating under that assumption.

You're making this part up. ... And you have a headmistress? Where do you even go to?

Hmmm... It's probably a private school or something. Idk because I've never been to one.

Or yeah it could be a different country than the US or Australia, forgot to say that XD

Edited by Freohr Abr Datia

I actually live in England - they're not called "Principals" or something.

And I was not trying to be a disloyal friend. The girl involved that I was most friendly with actually thanked me for stopping her before it got worse.

But I guess that posting my opinions on the "Serious Discussion" board actually means I get slammed for having my own ideas.

And I'm not at a private school, by the way. And I do know what it feels like to witness someone's life be destroyed by drugs.

This is my last post on this topic, and I do not wish to discuss my own experiences further.

- heronprincess23

And I was not trying to be a disloyal friend. The girl involved that I was most friendly with actually thanked me for stopping her before it got worse.

But I guess that posting my opinions on the "Serious Discussion" board actually means I get slammed for having my own ideas.

And I'm not at a private school, by the way. And I do know what it feels like to witness someone's life be destroyed by drugs.

This is my last post on this topic, and I do not wish to discuss my own experiences further.

- heronprincess23

You're not getting slammed for having your own ideas, you got slammed because of how incredibly pretentious you came across as. Don't play the victim, here.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

- heronprincess23

It's okay bro, I agree with you mostly.

Obviously there are going to be people who find your opinion a little extreme-ish. But opinions are opinions.

I mostly think that teens just do that kind of stuff in ways that aren't really the best and I don't really get it myself mostly because I'm to apathetic about these types of things.

You know how I was saying you were acting like a tall poppy earlier?

yeah this is kinda why

Get it out of your head that you're such an original thinker. It's not even those ideas I'm offended by, 'though I may disagree with them firmly. It's the fact that you seem to think you're so damn superior to anyone who DOES take drugs, and at best seem to show charitable pity.

Now, I don't smoke or take non-medicinal drugs (in the usual rather than the strict sense), but your vendetta apparently extends to drinking, which I have done in the past. Yes, I enjoy a beer from time to time, but I damn well know how to control myself, and I don't appreciate seemingly being thrown in with those who can't. And I don't want you standing over me, pitying me and saying "Don't think so badly of him. He doesn't know he's being a terrible human being." Sure, drinking in moderation isn't the healthiest (except apparently it is, but I don't have this from any source that isn't 'this guy I know') but it damn well doesn't mean you get to patronise me.

Heronprincess, while I may disagree with how your views expressed in your original post that dealt with friends you have who use drugs and alcohol, I can certainly appreciate your follow up post about them contributing to the objectifying of women. These are kind of two different ideas, but women who continue to contribute to the objectification of all women are in fact hurting people other than themselves, so I think confrontation on that aspect is certainly appropriate.

I think understanding that drugs and alcohol really aren't as big of a deal as many people originally think starts to come with age. I'd also point out that several things you've stated are in fact true. Drugs CAN ruin the lives of people and negatively impact the lives of others, and marijuana is a drug that can potentially lead to other harder, more dangerous drugs. So while your perceived attitude in your original post did come across as "superior" and "smug", I think you've made your opinion and view very clear in your follow up posts, which no one seems to be responding to, and which don't have any tone of superiority to them.

Its whatever, after initially being annoyed by your original post I found myself even more annoyed by many of the responses, especially after you clarified what you meant.

Sorta on topic of women objectifying themselves: it kinda bothers me how short the miniskirts girls wear in school. Now, if you're going on a night out clubbin' or partying or something, that's fairly appropriate attire. And I don't really care if girls wanna wear miniskirts because it's cooler in the summer or they got great legs they wanna show off, despite my personal dislike towards skirts. What bothers me is these skirts can get so short you can accidentally see someone's underwear just by looking ahead while going up the stairs. It's like a free pantyshot or something. Come on, girls, you're at SCHOOL. NOT PARTYING. DOESN'T HURT TO GET SLIGHTLY LONGER SKIRTS. And it's like the norm in many high schools I know. Terrible.

But indecency is public is supposed to be "cool"!

In my grad year, a few girls and one dude in my grade actually got suspended because they continuously ignored the dress code. And I went to a small school as well, so everyone knew, and it ended up being embarrassing (well for the girls anyway, the dude just liked not wearing shirts) for them. It's potentially reputation damaging too, although not so much in a bigger school.

But indecency is public is supposed to be "cool"!

In my grad year, a few girls and one dude in my grade actually got suspended because they continuously ignored the dress code. And I went to a small school as well, so everyone knew, and it ended up being embarrassing (well for the girls anyway, the dude just liked not wearing shirts) for them. It's potentially reputation damaging too, although not so much in a bigger school.

Who says you have to be cool though! Coolness is extremely overrated.

What those people did seemed stupid. It is their fault so yea...

Who says you have to be cool though! Coolness is extremely overrated.

What those people did seemed stupid. It is their fault so yea...

I'd like to know your definition of cool. Coolness is subjective, in fact someone may think picking up garbage is cool, and that would not be overrated.

Then again, your opinion is subjective too... :P

Edited by Marth

I think it is Popularity's definition of "Cool" that is overrated.

I would say "Cool" by itself means something that you really like!

Sorry, i tend to get my definitions mixed up sometimesdry.gif

Edited by Aelphaeis Mangarae

Coolness is a lower relative temperature, duh. Public indecency makes people cooler because there's less clothes to keep them warm B]

In all seriousness, I don't exactly know what the society's definition of cool is, either. Not that I really cared much. I mean, I had my small but close group of friends so I don't need to try to fit in to something I'm not to find a sense of belonging, and most of my focus was on academics, anyway.

And college apps. That thing destroyed my social life until it was all done with. :/

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Sorta on topic of women objectifying themselves: it kinda bothers me how short the miniskirts girls wear in school. Now, if you're going on a night out clubbin' or partying or something, that's fairly appropriate attire. And I don't really care if girls wanna wear miniskirts because it's cooler in the summer or they got great legs they wanna show off, despite my personal dislike towards skirts. What bothers me is these skirts can get so short you can accidentally see someone's underwear just by looking ahead while going up the stairs. It's like a free pantyshot or something. Come on, girls, you're at SCHOOL. NOT PARTYING. DOESN'T HURT TO GET SLIGHTLY LONGER SKIRTS. And it's like the norm in many high schools I know. Terrible.

miniskirts arent allowed to be used in my school tho

or any revealing clothing for that matter

They aren't allowed on paper.

My high school is too busy enforcing the no-hat rule rather than making sure people have their ass covered.

I swear people at my university dress more modestly than they do.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Yeah sadly in my university dammit why'd I have to come to purdue I thought such a big school wouldn't attract this many dumb people they dress worse than in my high school. There were people in my high school that wore miniskirts but not as much because, on occasion, the teachers would pay attention to dress code. It probably just depended on how strict the teachers were. Actually, I think one of the most popular girls in my grade often wore jeans.

All she really had to care about was her super duper long, and really really straight blond hair. That's most likely what caught everybody's attention.

Although I will admit I was quite impressed too XD But she was pretty rude, as are all the popular ones