Teenage life

Lilmik11

Hello. I just discovered this great sub-forum and I felt like talking about something. In the world we live, every teenager feels...how can I say it? Alone. Yes, every one of them feel, at at moment or another, different in a hard way. I'm pretty sure I can say nobody's perfect, but this kind of thing seems to be forgotten during our high school years. We all had and still have some flaws, it's just than if you don't fit the mold when you're a teenager, sometimes people can look at you like you're a freak. Even those who fit the molds, like the super popular guys and gals, are just hiding behind their popularity. Most of the time, they have even more flaws than people who don't have a lot of friend. Anyway, I guess we can say that everybody's teenage life is or was kinda hard at time.

So, here's some questions: What kind of teenager are or were you? How do you feel about that? Was or is teenage life hard for you? Did or do you like that time of your life? Let's just discuss.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,you see, it's kinda true.Most teenagers ARE over-dramatics.But I truly think teenage life is a weird yet interesting moment of our life.It's where we start to have opinions and think by ourselves, we discover our personnality.It's not only American teenagers:I'm pretty sure most of us are like that.That's how it is here in Quebec,anyway.

Imo, not being popular or not "fitting into the mold" does not make you flawed. Society may view you as flawed, but since when should society's opinion or the popular opinion be considered "right". Personally I am not fond of the type of lives most teenagers are living.

And as far as what type of teenager I was/am. Well at first I was that fat kid who was the class clown. Then in high school I was pretty much average, not really cool but not uncool, most people had just a slightly above average opinion of me probably. Apparently I'm somewhat attractive(though I would say otherwise). Sometimes loud, often times reserved. Involved in church and kind if involved in school. Above average smartness, but not known as one of the smart kids. People probably didn't think of me as intelligent in the sense of thinking about things and forming opinions about them unless they ha a class with me and were in seminars with me, where I would usually be one of the more valuable participants and thats when they learned that my ideas and values were a bit more...serious than a lot of theirs(mainly because most highschoolers dont really form opinions about some things especially politically like I did cause I'm a weirdo). Artistic but not known as one of the artistic kids. Everyone knew I was lazy and didn't do my homework though. Secretly though I was super dorky, big into anime and video games and the such. And in my senior year I started developing the reputation of not being very patriotic towards the U.S. and even communist by some peoples words, the former being much truer then the latter. Now in college I am pretty much known as the good guy or nice guy while still being a fun person. Still secretly a huge dork.

Sorry that was so long. But common teenage stereotypes are too shallow to actually accurately describe a person.

I loved reading all the replies

So, here's some questions: What kind of teenager are or were you? How do you feel about that? Was or is teenage life hard for you? Did or do you like that time of your life? Let's just discuss.

I am a ginger, there's always at least a little shit goin on there. I am thought of as an athelete, an idiot(mostly it's a mask, nobody is allowed to know what I'm thinking of) and I stir shit up frequently.( I like drama if not just for my own amusement)

I am fine with whatever people think of me, some people love me, some hate me. Usually people aren't on the fence about me.(Which is wonderful, just how i want it to be)

I believe life is always hard. & if isn't, I'll make enough dumb decisions to make it hard.

I love my life right now, freshman in high school, shitload of drama. hell yeah. 4 weeks ago, I hated my life.(so stay tuned hahaha)

Edited by Fenrir

I love reading your replies too. I didn't say that people who don't fit the mold are flawed.I said that people who don't are often receiving weird look. About me, people say I'm a nice kid. However, most of the time I feel lonely,because most of my friends forget about me and just seem to not care.I consider myself to have more opinions than most teenager. I participate a lot in History and Ethics class, because these topics intrest me. I'm also an art person, considering I'm part of a musical theatre club. I think I have a lot of knowledge for a 15 years old boy,but sometimes I' really shy so I look stupid.

I'm some Asian chick who does math and draws. Didn't really care about much. Had good friends, procrastinated, and got good grades. Nothing really special. //shrug.

Kinda outta everything, really, stayed outta drama and just did what I usually do.

...oh god I hate my 5-years-younger-self. SO MUCH. Gaaaah.

Lol, I'm only in tenth grade but so far, I seem to be the know it all douche that gets along with everybody but the teachers. Really, most of my teachers last year hated me because I made them look bad, the only thing that kept them from failing me was the fact that I was an excellent student... though there was that one class I never went to... The fellow classmates would find it pretty entertaining when I blew up my teachers spot. It was actually pretty hilarious.

As for Kai's love life... =X

Mine is kind of funny, because to me it seems like I live a double life. My parents still think that I'm still some kind of reluctant and unsociable person, but over the years in school I eventually grew out of that to an extent. All of my friends think that I'm really entertaining and kind, but with my parents' perception of me being rather stern and apathetic towards other's feelings, they'd be rather surprised to see how much I've changed.

My life, essentially free from drama, has had its ups and downs, but I wouldn't change it.

Not sure why, but this took way more time to post than it ought to have.

Well, I was more of the lone wolf kind of person (actually most of my life I've been like this) so my parents were dead worried about what would happen to me. However, I started opening up to them, then people I started to know in college and high school, eventually leaving behind my old self. I've changed, quite a lot, now I start to joke about friends with the little group, talking about almost anything. It's not that hard for me to socialize, but sometimes I prefer to be the remnants of my old self, the one seeking solitude, more when I try to write or think about things of my own, like living in my own little world.

Yet, my parents sometimes believe I don't have friends or I don't socialize a lot. While in college my friends always say the opposite, while they think of me as someone they can trust blindly and even rely on.

If I like the change my life turned to? Yes and no. Yes because this way I have been able to open up, losing quite a lot fears and ideas I had from people, for example I always judged people just by seeing them, somehow I could tell how they are and avoided most of them, now I don't trust that judgment any longer. The no is for some other reason I can't explain here, let's leave it like that.

As for a specific group I look to belong to, that's not my case. I never cared what others thought of me and I still hold that one. I hang out with people I feel comfortabe with. The bad of this...is I tend to be in two groups, one that I cherish the most and another one I like but that usually ends up hating the first one and vice versa, lol for me :XD:

Teenagers around where I live act like total drama queens and are too social. They constantly have to say what's currently on their mind or ask about something obvious. You could say that everyday was like a Pokemon's episode, where nothing important happens and there are one-sided characters that you don't care about talking all the time about things that don't matter in the quest.

I was kind of a nerdy teenager (talking high school since I'm technically almost 19), sorta clingy but generally well adjusted enough to get around. I was originally that kid that said the wrong stuff at the wrong time and then I adjusted to social norms a lot better later on and became one of the more helpful teenagers... I was kind of a doormat but people generally treated me well/made fun of me in jest (and it was a mutual thing). It wasn't bad, it got really hard at times because I was pretty much getting over some crippling emotional problems/childhood trauma (due to being a clueless, somewhat ignorant-of-social-norms kind of child).

It was a good time overall, wish I could've taken more advantage of it. I've got college for that at any rate.

Heh, these responses are interesting.

I was all over the map as a teenager. Trying too hard to be something I wasn't near the beginning of my highschool/end of middle school life, and then just really apathetic towards being social at all at the end of my teen years (Which I guess aren't over for a few weeks technically. Whatever.). I'm pretty happy with how I've turned out, and while I'm not happy about the stupid shit I did, I wouldn't do it over.

I definitely would say that being a teenager, at least at first, was hard. I probably overreacted to some things, and brought some things on myself, but it wasn't that my life was "hard", it was that being a teenager can be a tough thing. For an average person, and in my personal experience, you go in one side a naive and clueless child with basically 0 responsibilities, and after a few years are supposed to be an adult, and be basically self sufficient. I'd say most people change more in those 4-7 years than the rest of their lives, but maybe I'm just clueless. Of course it won't always be a smooth transition. If you haven't been taught a bunch of life lessons throughout your life, or are just dumb (Like me!) you're gonna mess up and hurt yourself from time to time while you figure out life.

Yup definitely interesting to see everyone's responses.

Well I'm still a teenager, preparing for my A levels in SIngapore. Typical student really,studying pretty much day in , day out and still getting really bad results compared to the class.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my life right now...

Given the size of my school (~60 people in my grade) I don't think I've ever had the same social problems. Everyone really knows everyone, and we all more or less get along. Beyond that, I'm very comfortable with myself. I care what people think (only sociopaths really don't, or so I've been told) but none of my flaws really bother me. I've never felt like I'm alone unless I've wanted to separate myself from people to think about whatever it is at that time. I guess there are some things I don't think people understand about me, but I kinda like that. I can't say I'm the typical teenager.

Edited by Rewjeo

As for a specific group I look to belong to, that's not my case. I never cared what others thought of me and I still hold that one. I hang out with people I feel comfortabe with. The bad of this...is I tend to be in two groups, one that I cherish the most and another one I like but that usually ends up hating the first one and vice versa, lol for me :XD:

I can actually relate to this. Alot of times people will get in arguments, and I'll end up right in the middle, it's kind of awesome, but also sucks.

Also, I always have two sides to myself(whether I'm actually bipolar is unknown, I highly doubt it) because I think in my head if there's two sides to an argument I should see both, often I side differently then I did at first, pissing a few people off.

I can actually relate to this. Alot of times people will get in arguments, and I'll end up right in the middle, it's kind of awesome, but also sucks.

Also, I always have two sides to myself(whether I'm actually bipolar is unknown, I highly doubt it) because I think in my head if there's two sides to an argument I should see both, often I side differently then I did at first, pissing a few people off.

Been there for about 2 years, but I avoid unneccesary troubles when both parties enter in argument, banishing as soon as they start arguing and leaving them solve their troubles, obvioulsy annoying both parties for not taking part of any, but they understand I don't want to hurt the other one I wouldn't favor if I entered the argument.

I don't think the latter one means that. I also do that, but to check the pros and cons of important choices I must make, to see whcih one is the best choice I can take (obviously they affect others, but annoying someone is momentary, not permanent).

Edited by Kristyakitty

I had cumulative issues but I'm only going to bring up one of the more relevant ones that I almost never talk about. My entire life thus far has been me, on my own every step of the way, trying to figure out what's what without being harmed by it. I could never trust my parents, and they weren't too involved in my social or private life anyway, so I ended up learning a lot of things the hard way as a child, and I mean a lot of things.

Anyway, I was almost perfectly normal socially by my teen years. Everyone has quirks so even with mine I was able to fit in well enough. Truth is that by that time, I had been through so much crap that I was only doing whatever I had to do to appear that way so I wouldn't have to worry about standing out too much, or getting my hands dirty the way I used to. After some years of this masking for learning crap, the traits I took from other people to fit in began changing who I was. I became a completely different person and lost nearly all the qualities I felt were good about myself by the time I was in my late teens, partly because of this. It got easier and easier to notice what was going on toward the end.

I went from being brave and outspoken to being a coward with a quiet voice.

From ambitious to someone who could give up a lifelong dream at the drop of a hat.

From being honest with people to lying at the slightest risk of discomfort.

From determined to disgustingly lazy.

From being direct with everyone to never being able to convey much of anything, and some other things I'm too lazy and/or apprehensive to list right now.

(Note: These aren't traits I took directly from people, only the end results of trying to do so)

I really miss what I had before I became a teenager, the mindset that was separate from society and the culture I'm in. As a kid with those qualities, it actually made me odd and kind of stupid most of the time(complete honesty can get you in trouble sometimes, this I know first hand), but with the knowledge I have now, those same traits would help me be the kind of person I want to be. I've been doing anything I can think of to try and get it all back but it's a very slow process at best. There is a little missing context here, but I don't think any of us can really cram our whole experience into a tiny forum post, just thought I'd share this. As a whole, my teenage years were just a regrettable train wreck, but at least it's over now, and I've got things I can look forward to in the future :lol:

As my teenage years are almost completely gone (turning 20 in a month,) I really only had a few stages.

Depression when I was younger (13-16) for absolutely no reason, well call it angst overdose. Depression led to little confidence. Started playing football and lifting weights when I was 16 years old, on a whim. Met a bunch of really chill people, who are all my friends to this day. Completely turned my life around. Morphed from scrawny, friendless kid that would get beaten up by half of the female population at my high school into a reasonably muscular kid. Got a girlfriend at age 17, dated her for 2 years.

Confidence grows exponentially. I swear to all of you, if you really are having emotional problems, just LIFT WEIGHTS. The wonders it does for you, not only physically but also mentally, are astounding.

Finally, I'm a sophomore in college, rushing in a fraternity, and share an apartment with a few of my friends. Life is pretty solid.

I was homeless for a bit, didn't really care about whatever everyone else cared about, met a girl and stayed with her for a few years (as in, hooked up), and got to spend the last high school year at college. Which was a lot better, 'cause I didn't get stuck dealing with things I didn't care about.

All in all, nothing very memorable.

I'm pretty much just your not so average teenager. Everyone seems to go out, party and what not, but me, i'd rather stay home. I'm okay with it, I don't really like most people and can only talk to them for a little while, after that i just want to leave and do something else. In the sense that o tend to procrastinate and end up stressed yes teenage life is hard. Otherwise its not. I figured i don't like to hang around people and talk to them all day, so staying at home is nice. While there was a time i felt i was alone, I got over it. No i don't like teenage life (high school). So many people expecting you to behave a certain way and anything out of the ordinary makes you immidiately gay/a freak.

I was a really shy person in high school. Usually I'd only talk to people Ive known for years or people that talked to me first. Eventually, in 12 grade, I met this gamer girl and she changed me almost completely. I was still not too talkative with others, buuut, It wasnt because I was afraid anymore. 3 years into college and Im still not that talkative, but Im getting along fine I'd say.

Edited by PegKnightLover

I don't think the latter one means that. I also do that, but to check the pros and cons of important choices I must make, to see whcih one is the best choice I can take (obviously they affect others, but annoying someone is momentary, not permanent).

I have different, more selfish motives. I don't care about hurting people, if somebody has offended me, I'll attempt to make them pay tenfold. Many people just tend to like me, and I've got no idea why, maybe because I'm outspoken, maybe because they find me funny, but I'll always have some friends, so what's it gonna hurt to offend a few so long as i get my point across.

I get into "two inner circles" just because I always have gossip, and am naturally manipulative/charismatic. (or so I've been told, I'm awful at self evaluation)