The abbreviation...

Crimson Red

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems like most everyone wants to STFU people who don't like using generic numbers for titles and just use "FE13".

Just observing.

Hopefully the game is called something nice with a nice abbreviation for it.

New name: FE13DS. c wut i did thar?

So it seems like most everyone wants to STFU people who don't like using generic numbers for titles and just use "FE13".

Just observing.

Hopefully the game is called something nice with a nice abbreviation for it.

New name: FE13DS. c wut i did thar?

Not a bad idea. It implies that it's the first 3DS FE game and the thirteenth one in the series. Also, the "3DS" implies the total amount of Fire Emblem games available (at least in Japan) on the DS's (DS/DSLite/DSi and 3DS). :D

Edited by Phoenix Wright

FE13 is just so much easier. As long as IS doesn't spam remakes, I don't see the issue in numbering Shadow Dragon and Shin Monshou.

This is pretty much the best reason. Especially since I don't foresee anymore remakes coming soon that aren't just collection-ports. Though, Gaiden, that would be super nice of you IS, yes.

Once upon a time, everyone happily numbered the games, the subtitles showed up occasionally. Then the DS remakes come out and some people decide they're going to be different. wat

I'll always say FEnumber, if that's not good enough for you for some reason you can always wait for the full title to be announced.

If Rowling decided to republish her first Harry Potter book with a little bit of extra content, words adjusted, and a few other allusions, that suddenly does not make it Harry Potter 8.

This is the sticky-logic that's irking some people. It's not the convention itself--it's the out-right droll of the concept.

I'm in complete agreement with Celice on this. A remake is a remake, not a new title. We had FEs 1-10, then we got FE:DS and FE3:DS, now we have FE11. If FEDS had been a new game just set in Akaenia, I'd have no problem with saying it was FE11, but its not.

I feel compelled to ask: why can't we continue to number them as we always have? It's unambiguous, especially as opposed to calling this game FE11 or FE3DS. Most of the comparisons being drawn here don't work (Final Fantasy games are already numbered, the Harry Potter numbering is bound to chronological order). This game will be known as FE13 numerically, and you can call it what you like outside of that, just don't call it FE11. It's only going to confuse people and cause arguments, and the "let's leave the remakes out of the numbering system" idea wasn't accepted three years ago when it still could have been realistically implemented anyway, so can't we let it be?

The numbering system isn't the major problem from my perspective. It's that FE3DS (FE3 remake for the DS, which a small portion of people used) as an abbreviation as a whole has to be erased because FE3DS could now refer to "FE for the 3DS". Which it seems people don't mind doing because most people refer to it as "FE12" anyway. So the others who do call it FE3DS will just have to suffer/get over it.

idea wasn't accepted three years ago when it still could have been realistically implemented anyway,

Virtually all the fans who "accepted" it didn't put thought into it. For them, the game might as well have been new because they never played the original. All the info would come up blue. If there was a larger familiarity with the original, it's likely more non-Japanese fans would have put a little, little, little more thought into how to reference the game.

If anyone's really interested in how fans have numbered the series, you should check back on some Japanese message boards around the time the DS remake of the first game was revealed, up to its release, and a little after. You'll have less unawares-bias floating around the argument of "fans supported it."

The numbering is purely a Western convention. Japanese FE fans very rarely refer to the games by number, although I have seen one or two sites that do use numbering (Valhalla comes to mind, just hover over the game links) and they use the same system as us (most likely influenced by us).

Japanese fans are lucky that they have official subtitles for every FE and can simply use the first two or so aymbols to refer to most games, eg. Seima [聖魔] for FE8, Shin Monshou [新紋章] for FE12. I think we'd look funny doing that though (imagine players referring to FE6 as "Seals" or FE7 as "Blazing").

I assume you, Celice, know that already, but I thought I'd mention it for those who don't ^^

If somebody spoke of FE13, would anyone not know what that person was talking about?

If not, then why shouldn't that person speak of FE13?

Somebody mentioned using abbreviations of the subtitles, which I think would work too, on the condition that the Japanese subtitles be used for games not released outside of Japan: While there may be some confusion as to what FE:SoS might be, there is only one game that would be abbreviated FE:FnT.

Edited by Paper Jam

The big issue to an observer is what does "FE3DS" refer to?

If your going to use numbers for an abbreviation, use just numbers. FE12 could be called FE3.1 instead of FE3DS. Use the decimal to represent the remake number.

This new game is going to get called FE3DS by some until a subtitle is announced.

Has anyone ever thought of using a space to distinguish between FE3 DS and FE 3DS?

Why bother with that when you can just call them FE12 and FE13? I mean, I don't really care what people call them, but I can't see any good reasons not to use numbers. And FE3 DS and FE 3DS are sort of easy to mix up, while FE12 and FE13 aren't.