The abbreviation...

Crimson Red

This sounds like a silly thing to say but we've had problems with abbreviations before...

FE11 was "FEDS" for a while. Some people, not recognizing it as a new game, just put it as "FESD" (FE Shadow Dragon)... then when FE12 came out, "FEDS" become obsolete... some people used "FE12" and others "FE3DS" (FE3 for the DS). But now FE3DS is obsolete, because there is actually an FE for the 3DS.

I think a solution is to call this "the 3DSFE". I think by separating "FE" and "3DS" there is little room for confusion.

Thoughts?

on a totally unrelated side note I tried adding the game to Wikipedia's list of 3DS games but something tells me it might get taken down... we'll see

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed! Nintendo's abbreviating it 3DFES.

Here's an approximate translation of why they named it as such:

We find fans wishing to find Nintendo's extended franchises in our latest 3DS system. And so we placed effuu eee inside the 3DS, to signify that their effuu eee, and many franchises to come will be inside the 3DS.

Oh, and also Kid Icarus Uprising is now abbreviated 3KIDS, for the same reason. Pretty suspect if you ask me.

^what about for people who don't want to number it

also sarcasm is not appreciated

I disagree. You're assuming that everyone refers to the DS games as "FEDS" and "FE3DS", when quite a few people go with 11 and 12.

Actually I'm not. But some people do. You assumed that I assumed that. Bad assumption bro.

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

^what about for people who don't want to number it

also sarcasm is not appreciated

Actually I'm not. But some people do. You assumed that I assumed that. Bad assumption bro.

This.

This is not Final Fantasy or some other ordinary franchises that couldn't be bothered to give proper titles and instead resort to numbers.

While you have a point I really don't think we're going to have this called FE11. Most people call Shadow Dragon FE11, Heroes of Light and Shadow FE12, and this game FE13. Including SF itself and my site and even FEPlanet which is not even updated anymore. And I don't know of any other English FE sites that aren't pretty much dead but they'd probably do the same.

tl;dr the numbering system isn't going to change but I'm really going to get sick of calling this "FE13" and real fast. -_-

Maybe when the full title comes out we can come up with a better abbreviation (that wasn't really possible with FE12 because it'd be "FE: NMotE ~HoLaS~", maybe "FEHLS" for short but that's abbreviating an abbreviation and it looks ugly IMO XD

FE 3DS or FE 3D is fine by me, but then again I'm one of the FE13 supporters.

The way I see it, FE isn't a series that has a ton of remakes and spin-offs and even IS call the DS remakes "FE11" and "FE12" in the ROMs, not to mention they're specifically called the 11th and 12th games on the official site. Now IS hasn't posted anything about this game yet, but I would be very surprised if I didn't see a number 13 mentioned somewhere.

Internal names aren't generally reflective of what the public is supposed to reference though. Internal names are just there for reference.

Oh yeah, of course. The actual name that the public is supposed to reference must correspond exactly to Celice's opinion!

Edited by dondon151

Internal names aren't generally reflective of what the public is supposed to reference though. Internal names are just there for reference.

Again, else you'd have to accept that it's intended that the lead character's real name is ACT_001.

not to mention they're specifically called the 11th and 12th games on the official site.

Oh, guys, the official cite must also cede to Celice's opinion. Just letting you all know, lest we anger our mighty king.

Again, else you'd have to accept that it's intended that the lead character's real name is ACT_001.

I'd have a girlfriend if I had that name :(

I still think 3DFES is the best abbreviation in the history of ever.

The FE games follow a progression, building on aspects of past games and adding new things. The process has slowed and even reversed at times since Kaga left, but it's still there. More relevant, FE11 and FE12 are part of that progression, if somewhat distantly so, rather than focusing on FE1 and FE3 as independent games. FE11, FE12, and FE13 are convenient and accurate enough names.

Edited by Othin

Fire Emblem games have subtitles. We should just use them. Once a non-numbered series gets too many entries - including remakes and such, it gets cumbersome to apply a number as shorthand. There was a time when The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was commonly referred to as Zelda 5. But Link's Awakening DX and the two Oracle games made numbering future Zelda games contentious or at least confusing, so we now use LoZ:OoT, or just OoT as an unambiguous shorthand. I see no reason why Fire Emblem should be different. Certainly, FE7 is a tricky issue, but using the translated Japanese subtitle is a sensible solution.

'few_series.html#12' was my favorite game in the series :newyears:

That's too long, we need to abbreviate it.

How about FSH#12?

I changed my mind. Fire Emblem 3DS should be abbreviated 3DFSH#13S.

Edited by Kysafen

Fire Emblem games have subtitles. We should just use them. Once a non-numbered series gets too many entries - including remakes and such, it gets cumbersome to apply a number as shorthand. There was a time when The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was commonly referred to as Zelda 5. But Link's Awakening DX and the two Oracle games made numbering future Zelda games contentious or at least confusing, so we now use LoZ:OoT, or just OoT as an unambiguous shorthand. I see no reason why Fire Emblem should be different. Certainly, FE7 is a tricky issue, but using the translated Japanese subtitle is a sensible solution.

13 of the 16 currently existing FE games follow a clear, linear progression in terms of order, leaving no question as to their numbers. For those 13 games, the numbers offer an easy, clear way to refer to them, where acronyms are only easy for a handful of the most recent, and full names are far more cumbersome, and even indeterminate to an extent in the case of Japan-only games. FE6 can only be abbreviated based on its subtitle to FESoS, which puts it rather close to FESS. FE2 and FE5 only have one word for their subtitle, while FE1 and FE4 have several, and the only other way you could really abbreviate FE3 and FE12 is FEME and FENM - NM is especially an issue, referring to so much else in the series. I dropped that acronym after one use because it caused precisely that confusion.

Speaking of referring to other things in the series, it's precisely why FE7 has no good alternative abbreviations. BS refers to not one but two of the Forgotten FE Games: the BSFE downloads and Berwick Saga.

The numerical abbreviations for the 13 core FE games are easy to use, clear what they mean, and have a basis both in the games and in Nintendo's listings, while using anything else is either cumbersome or likely to cause confusion somewhere. They're simply the best way of referring to them.

Especially right now, with this new FE game that we don't know of any title for, even a translated one.

Edited by Othin

FE13 or FEletterletter. I said FE3DS was bad name for FE12 for just this reason. I think either an all letter acronym or numbering the games is the least confusing way to go, although all letters can get confusing (FESS could be Sword of Seals or Sacred Stones, although I guess FE6 could be FESoS or FEBB.)

My vote's going to FE11_FE13. On the left-hand side are those who understand that it's actually the eleventh game in the series, while on the right-hand side symbolizes the total amount of games in the series (14 if you count BS, but it's not a 'full' game entry; also, it's not counted on the front).

But seriously, I say it should be 3DFES, which is the official if I recall from the last page. The "S" stands for 3D"S," right?