The new art style

H-Bastaki

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knights won't really matter, since nobody really uses them. Unless they're heavily relied on for defense or just earlygame filler.

I use at least one knight no matter what game I'm playing. They're very valuable, and in fact, I suggest you incorporate them into your playhthroughs.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I use at least one knight no matter what game I'm playing. They're very valuable, and in fact, I suggest you incorporate them into your playhthroughs.

Knights are very valuable, as long as you don't value being able to kill enemies or complete chapter objectives. They're great at er, all that other stuff, though?

Yeah the all pretty much look ridiculous, although the GBA ones particularly strike me as about to turtle and start screaming "LEGS, ARMS, AND I'LL FORM... THE HEAD"

hahaha

I like the idea of an armour knight curling up in their armour like a turtle! maybe that can be their dodge animation? and then the Fighter nudges them and they fall onto their back and can't get up!

Edited by Anouleth

Knights are very valuable, as long as you don't value being able to kill enemies or complete chapter objectives. They're great at er, all that other stuff, though?

On NM they're awesome. I'm guessing you're talking about HM, in which case units that aren't Oswin or Gatrie aren't very good, I agree. But then again, a lot of units lose some of their utility in HM. Knights are pretty awesome in the beginning, when you practically need them.

You certainly love to generalize things, don't you?

I'm sorry I didn't use the word "almost" before "every" and that you have to be so analytical about everything.

And what's wrong with generalizing? Israel uses racial profiling in their airports, and look at all the problems they run into?

It graphically reminds me of Drakengard 2 for some reason... it had those clumsy static sprites with some 2D face sprites giving dialogue. It was rather poor graphics for a PS2 game, except those FMVs.

The music doesn't fit the 2D map sprites either.

On NM they're awesome. I'm guessing you're talking about HM, in which case units that aren't Oswin or Gatrie aren't very good, I agree. But then again, a lot of units lose some of their utility in HM. Knights are pretty awesome in the beginning, when you practically need them.

If you practically needed them, they'd be more important on harder modes, not less.

With three crappy people--not really D:

ZBRKm.png

Yes. Yes they were.

Then they drowned. From a lack of oxygen.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was a Mecha, not a person.

I meant in the beginning of HM.

Bors was good for getting villages and nothing much else in FE6HM since chapter 1. Getting doubled by everything and suffering WTD while he's at it is not cool :/ Marcus and Zealot are more than enough to tank until Alance catches up and you get Miledy.

Edited by Luminescent Kitty

Bors was good for getting villages and nothing much else in FE6HM since chapter 1. Getting doubled by everything and suffering WTD while he's at it is not cool :/ Marcus and Zealot are more than enough to tank until Alance catches up and you get Miledy.

I guess it is just me. I use them all the time.

FE6 is a bad example though because all of the knights suck. Oswin is amazing in HHM and EHM, though. At least for me...

Don't hold your breath over Oswin actually, he may start out doing a ton of damage and enemies may start out tinking him but he really lags because of his lack of move and everything. Armors were never that great except like... Gatrie in FE10.

Edited by Mercenary Raven

Neat, someone else who likes Phoenix Wright, you excited he's in UMvC3?

On topic, I like the new art style, certainly an interesting change. It most assuredly is not Final Fantasy-like, or Tales-like. It's far more down to earth in some ways than those are, and it's much more natural in it's colors. Once we see more I may be able to make a claim, but it looks like "anime" for lack of a better term.

Also, Lyon looks great. And his sprite makes for an intimidating looking mage. His art may not, but Necromancer was probably my favorite magic class just from looks/animation.

I'm having problems processing Liz and Emelina's clothes, and "down-to-earth". . .but to each his/her own. The hair colors so far look more-or-less natural. I like the male character art more than the female one, because it's less. . .er, flashy.

I said in some ways. :P Not all. Mostly I meant the colors. So far, they seem really normal and mellow compared to the more vibrant shades of colors we normally see. Though, barring her unusual headgear, I don't see anything particularly odd about the main heroine's (or at least who appears to be) outfit. At least nothing overly odd.

I said in some ways. :P Not all. Mostly I meant the colors. So far, they seem really normal and mellow compared to the more vibrant shades of colors we normally see. Though, barring her unusual headgear, I don't see anything particularly odd about the main heroine's (or at least who appears to be) outfit. At least nothing overly odd.

Hoop skirts on a battlefield?

The new character set completely lost the original style,I think it's very bad.

original style of...the first game? you can't even call the portraits in the first game "style"

fire emblem's had different art designs over the years. 1/2 don't count, 3-5 had the same style, 6-7 had the same style, 8 was completely different in terms of designs and colors used. 9-10 were about the same with 10 being more detailed. 11-12 hold the same art style.

there are alot of different styles in the series so if you think thats the "origenal" style was the only good one, via 3-5, then you must think all the other games look ugly, either that or your a complete @#$%^&* when it comes explaining details

FE3's artstyle is different from FE4 and FE5. Each have their own distinct stylization. Not even counting the BSFE mugshots, which are radically different from the FE3 style.

FE2 also really deviated from the style of FE1, sans whatever resources they cloned over, like some battle animations and maybe the Pegasus sisters...? Yeah.

If there is no originality, other than the inherent originality of every style, then there's nothing to lose. Each style has it from the beginning. Rather, one may not like this style is and misappropriating the reasoning.

I think you guys are mixing up art style and art direction.

The main complaint of people against the new 'art style' is that the clothing and armor looks less practical, whereas in previous FEs it always made sense both in practicability and the character's background (ie. Titania has the fanciest armor of all the Greil Mercenaries because she was once a high-ranking royal knight).