Mechanics that you want

Galenforcer

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Rolf them, who essentially picked up using a Bow just by having Shinon help him for a few odd hours here and there? Both of these characters are pretty young. Are you saying that every Fire Emblem character has no experience hunting with a Bow, or has never even tried to learn a Bow, since apparently all you need to do is get taken hunting as a young girl or have someone show you and you can pick it up fine.

I think I have a vague idea of why people are against reclassing in SD.

"Hi, I'm Lena. I don't look like much, but under the right circumstances, I can pick up a sword and hack enemies to death."

Fighting with a sword on horse is very different with fighting with a sword on foot, especially since most forms of swordfighting requires a lot of footwork, which is hard to do on a horse unless you are trained in horseback swordsmanship. It's the same principle why we can't put a myrmidon on a horse and expect him/her to perform well.

Plus, mounted units are OP'd to hell in most of the FE games. Might as well give them some disadvantages over footmen indoors so foot soldiers get to see their fair share of battle.

and honestly, I had no issues with using Fin indoors when I played FE5. I probably gotten lucky, and I spammed the hell outta that guy, but he was on Killing Edges that I captured by the cartload by endgame and kicked all sorts of ass.

Edited by Luminescent Kitty

"Hi, I'm Lena. I don't look like much, but under the right circumstances, I can pick up a sword and hack enemies to death."

Is that any different from "Once I reach level 10 I can murder an entire army by myself with magic"?

Is that any different from "Once I reach level 10 I can murder an entire army by myself with magic"?

Though I am not a mage/cleric, I do think transitioning from staves to magic is much more sensible than staves to sword, especially when the staff in question isn't used to knock people over the head.

Don't forget the people who can summon thunderbolts by waving their hands around.

But yes, I am. The two aren't necessarily related; the existence of magic and other fantasy elements in a setting is not automatically an excuse for just anything without further justification. That justification can be related to the fantasy elements, but it still has to be there.

This guy knows what's up
or why units arbitrarily can't use most weapon types when it seems that anyone should be able to learn to use any weapon with enough time.
What about Rolf them, who essentially picked up using a Bow just by having Shinon help him for a few odd hours here and there? Both of these characters are pretty young. Are you saying that every Fire Emblem character has no experience hunting with a Bow, or has never even tried to learn a Bow, since apparently all you need to do is get taken hunting as a young girl or have someone show you and you can pick it up fine.

This might mean something with generic units the player can mold as they please, but the PCs are characters with backgrounds and aspirations, and there's only so much the magic floating mind control cursor can do to change them. Anyone probably could learn most weapon types if they worked hard enough at it, but would they want to?

so much

B- Frozen Synapse's choreographic interface.

Multiclassing.

Persistant maps: fight again on a previously used battlefield and make use of the barricades and ballistas you deployed last time.

Each unit is the leader of a squad instead of a single fighter.

Bigger range for ranged combat: bows 3-7, longbows 4-10, ballista 25+

C- are we still playing Fire Emblem?

EDIT: Shields! Armour too. Dwarves. Mounting and dismounting. Cannons!

Edited by miniBladez

Fighting with a sword on horse is very different with fighting with a sword on foot, especially since most forms of swordfighting requires a lot of footwork, which is hard to do on a horse unless you are trained in horseback swordsmanship. It's the same principle why we can't put a myrmidon on a horse and expect him/her to perform well.

Plus, mounted units are OP'd to hell in most of the FE games. Might as well give them some disadvantages over footmen indoors so foot soldiers get to see their fair share of battle.

and honestly, I had no issues with using Fin indoors when I played FE5. I probably gotten lucky, and I spammed the hell outta that guy, but he was on Killing Edges that I captured by the cartload by endgame and kicked all sorts of ass.

But the same thing goes for using axes. Apparently Brighton learned how to use an axe while mounted and how to learn a sword while dismounted, but not how to use either one at both times? It seems like it would be both easier and more effective to learn how to use an axe both mounted and dismounted or a sword both mounted and dismounted, since all four of those are demonstrated to be effective fighting styles.

I like how the dismounting system gave the mounted units disadvantages, but I feel it just took it in too strange of a direction in FE5. Do bear in mind that I hardly hold it against FE5 as a whole, if at all; it's one of my favorite games both within the FE series and overall.

Maybe he just ran out of time, learning different fighting styles takes time from practicing another fighting style to make it better, maybe he just wanted to focus on two different ones instead of spreading it out to four?

The only issue I had with mounted guys having swords only indoors was me running out of swords and not enough sword enemies to capture because fuck buying things other than S potions in FE5.

It's also only lance and axe knights who have this issue. Bow knights actually GAIN swords and don't lose bows.

Maybe he just ran out of time, learning different fighting styles takes time from practicing another fighting style to make it better, maybe he just wanted to focus on two different ones instead of spreading it out to four?

The only issue I had with mounted guys having swords only indoors was me running out of swords and not enough sword enemies to capture because fuck buying things other than S potions in FE5.

I'm not saying all four, just a different selection of two. If his primary fighting style is using an axe on horseback, which fighting style would be easier and make more sense to learn dismounted: axe or sword?

Bow Knights don't gain swords in FE5, ever.

Edited by Othin

Depends on the type of axe, tbh. Axes like Othin/Halvan's, possibly. but polearm-type axes, which I'd imagine to be very effective on horseback, not so much. Poleaxes wouldn't even be so practical indoors due to the amount of space it's alotted.

...derp. Somehow I thought Selfina gained swords in her joining chapter when dismounted. Fucking memory issues.

But even so. Bow knights don't have said weapon change, while lance and axe knights do.

HOnestly, logically it could go either way, but I'm just in support of swords for nerfing the mount guys indoors because they're too overpowered otherwise, but killing their stats to oblivion, IMO, is worse than getting locked to a weapon they're not used to since swords can kill shit fine (see Fin, endgame, with a Killing Edge), and killing their stats more than FE5 does already when dismounting may actually lead them to suck too much. Swords, IMO, works well for a balancing point between that.

Then use foot units indoors? Nobody's forcing you to use mounts indoors. By endgame the only mounted units in my indoors team were Felgus and Fin, the former has a sword rank anyway and the latter reached C around C23. There's plenty of good foot units you can use.

Then there's the case with guys like Dean who has double As for weapon rank, so you can't even say that his rank sucks. I'd use him indoors weren't for dismounting from a wyvern takes out a massive portion of his stats.

Deans an Exception though. I think there's only him and Conomore who have A-Rank swords on dismount who don't use them mounted. The Dismount Penalty hits characters like Bryton, Hicks and Glade hardest for seemingly no reason other than the rest of the non-bow using Dismounted Knights use swords.

Then use foot units indoors? Nobody's forcing you to use mounts indoors. By endgame the only mounted units in my indoors team were Felgus and Fin, the former has a sword rank anyway and the latter reached C around C23. There's plenty of good foot units you can use.

Obviously, but I still don't want to have those sort of things forced on me. Any way you look at it, it's a poor idea.

Well, it fits into the whole FE5 idea of forcing players to use a wide spread of characters. Just as Fatigue will sometimes force you not to use certain characters, dismounting will sometimes put mounted characters at a disadvantage (while they have the advantage in basically every other map).

Well, it fits into the whole FE5 idea of forcing players to use a wide spread of characters. Just as Fatigue will sometimes force you not to use certain characters, dismounting will sometimes put mounted characters at a disadvantage (while they have the advantage in basically every other map).

Then have their movement reduced while they're dismounted, so that their movement is somewhat lower than regular foot soldiers (maybe the same than an armour's, but without the huge defense), but keeping their primary mounted weapon. This way they have the same handicap against foot soldiers when dismounted than the foot soldiers when the former are mounted.

Then have their movement reduced while they're dismounted, so that their movement is somewhat lower than regular foot soldiers (maybe the same than an armour's, but without the huge defense), but keeping their primary mounted weapon. This way they have the same handicap against foot soldiers when dismounted than the foot soldiers when the former are mounted.

And other stats, for that matter, treating their mounted stats at the defaults.

I don't really understand why everyone is complaining about dismounted units getting swords when they were actually pretty good in FE5. Common use axes were pretty bad outside of the Hero Axe and common use lances were pretty average.

Alternatively you could give units different weapon ranks in the same weapon depending on if they're mounted or dismounted (since fighting styles are different), but that would really only make the problem worse in the context of FE5.

Edited by dondon151