FE5 advice

Racer

Finally got around playing this (hooray) and I wanna know which are the units to ditch or keep. I'm currently on chapter 3 and I'm thinking Havan (Othin is not clicking even with his Pugi) Tanya/Ronan, Safy and Lifis (I accidentally recruited him) thanks

Also question regarding Xavier's recruitment. It said that I had to get all the civilians to talk to each of their respective armors but a friend of mine said that the armors also had to escpae the place and none of them should die before I talk to Xavier. I can't trust him because he lies a lot so I felt I needed to ask you guys

Othin is considered one of the better characters in the game, even better than Havan. Of course, if he's enjoyed several level ups without any stat ups he can still go suck it on the bench. Whether or not you want archers on your team is your call, but general consensus is Tanya>Ronan. By quite a bit, unless your name is Integrity and get a very blessed Ronan.

As for Xavier, no they don't need to flee the battle after talking to the civvies.

Havan is good, but Othin is excellent, even if your RNG doesn't like him. The reason is simple: he has Wrath. Wrath in FE5 is so ridiculous that just having Wrath is pretty much enough to make whoever has it an Enemy Phase god.

Ronan sucks. He's, like, really bad. Really bad. If you want an archer, stick with Tanya.

Lifis is okay, but you'll probably want to bench him in favor of Pahn later.

Finally got around playing this (hooray) and I wanna know which are the units to ditch or keep. I'm currently on chapter 3 and I'm thinking Havan (Othin is not clicking even with his Pugi) Tanya/Ronan, Safy and Lifis (I accidentally recruited him) thanks

Othin is still really good even with no stat gains from level ups. His only shortcoming in that case would be that he lacks the str to OHKO with Wrath criticals, but his base parameters + promo gains are already good enough to complement Pugi + Wrath. Halvan, on the other hand, doesn't have a good 2-range option and does rely a lot on stat gains to do well.

The game pretty much forces you to use Lifis for a good portion of the game. If you don't use him, you'll find those chapters exorbitantly difficult to complete.

My personal recommendation is to use Dagda, but for some reason a lot of people have an aversion to using units that won't cap their stats naturally. He is still an excellent character, and enemies in FE5 tend to suck for most of the game. Oh, and if you really care about having a bow user, Dagda can use bows and doesn't suck like Ronan or Tanya do.

Edited by dondon151

My personal recommendation is to use Dagda, but for some reason a lot of people have an aversion to using units that won't cap their stats naturally. He is still an excellent character, and enemies in FE5 tend to suck for most of the game. Oh, and if you really care about having a bow user, Dagda can use bows and doesn't suck like Ronan or Tanya do.

I call it the Jeigan syndrome. And the lack of exposure FE5 has had.

Use whoever you want; with scrolls, anyone can be great for at least some of the game. Marty is a perfect example, having terrible stats on his own, but with just the Odo and Sety scrolls, he gets fantastic all-around growths and becomes a complete monster after promotion.

Also, there is a patch which will raise the stats capping at 20 to 30. I think enemies will take advantage of the higher caps so long as their stats are dependent on growth rates. If some bosses have static, predetermined stats, they shouldn't (normally) have any higher stats than they did before the stats being raised.

If one thinks 20 caps is a bit strange.

Fin is rather useful, outside at least. Don't be stingy with his Hero Lance.

Definitely keep Tanya. Bows are fairly easy to obtain, and slightly better in this game because of the gaiden chapters, and apart from Robert, she's the only decent character who can reasonably use high-level bows.

Fe 5 isn't like the other games you basically can't bring characters to ever chapter so training both axemen would be a great idea . And for that same reason you basically should use 3-4 clerics in the game because you just can't bring an individual unit to every map . Tanya Is an excellent archer but lacks strength , don't use Ronan to much until you can get some scrolls to boost his stats. Lifis is others mentioned is your only theif for a while so you should really use him .

Oh yeah the fatigue system.

What the fatigue system basically is; when a character performs an action it accumulates a certain amount of fatigue points. These points carry over between chapters. When the amount of fatigue points surpasses the unit's HP, the unit in case cannot be deployed the next chapter, unless you use a pretty rare item. In case of staffers, staffs are very important in this game, but staff use also gives big fatigue points At the same time, staffers always have insanely low HP. So this means that one or two of your staffs will have to be benched every couple of chapters, forcing you to use more of them.

Worth noting that non-staff users really just have to worry about combat, which gives 1 fatigue point. It's just the staffs that give up to 5 with the higher-level staffs.

But yes, whoever you use, make sure you use a lot of them.

I really can't give you any personal recommendations for units, but here's what I can say:

-I recommend using as many staff users as you can get away with, because as a lot of people said, staff users fatigue very quickly, especially since higher end staves fatigue you faster. That and certain staves(namely Warp and Rescue)are cheap and game breaking. Safy is especially game breaking as not only is she the first staffer to gain access to all the high end staves, the Hammerne staff(which lets you repair other broken staves, among other things, like Othin's pugi or Leaf's prism sword)is only usable by her.

-Dagda is actually pretty good, despite what GFAQ's guides say. Even though his growths suck, his bases are awesome, and he actually has no issues doubling(enemy AS fails in FE5)

-As a lot of people say, Othin is awesome and is highly recommended. Other highly recommended characters include Halvan, Felgus, Shiva, Fin, Dean, and Asvel.

-You can have only one of Olwen or Eyrios. Eyrios has the better base stats(and has an awesome skillset), but Olwen has an availability and PCC lead as well as a Prf Thunder tome with Brave weapon properties. Pick your poison, but you have to not have Olwen in your unit selection(and no, having her captured does not count. I learned this the hard way.)in order to recruit Eyrios. Just warning you ahead of time.

As for everything else, you are on your own, mate.

Edited by darkandroid125

Ronan sucks hard. He has an absolutely abysmal strength growth and there is no real way to fix it until very late in the game. Moreover, he's an archer!

You may want to give the Life and Speed Rings to Leaf. They will come in handy in Chapter 4, 4x and 5. Most of the really great characters have been mentioned, but characters to avoid are Ronan, Marty, and Dalshien. You *could* scroll abuse on them for a really long time to get them to have good stats, but it's far more effort than it's worth, and you could just scroll abuse characters that aren't in incredibly shitty classes with shitty bases and shitty growths to begin with.

Of note is that Scrolls, in addition to boosting growth rates, also prevent criticals. Because critical rate in this game is easy to get (it's calculated from Skill-(Luck/2)), you should try to spread your Scrolls around to prevent random criticals from screwing you over.

Thanks guys (scroll abused Ronan he is now made up of epic win)

one more thing I'm at chapter 15 and I was wondering which route is more worthwhile to go through (like which has better characters, items, difficulty)

The route through Lenster's gate is more fun in my opinion. Chapter 16 through the forest is enough to have you pull your hair out by the roots. You get Sara either way, and Sleuf, Amalda, and Misha are almost definitively better than Miranda, Conomore, and Shanam.

For the most part, the Solar route is superior to the Lunar route. Firstly, the forest in 16B is enough to drive anyone mad. It's bad enough that anyone who isn't Dean or Karin is slowed by the shrubbery, but why in the holy mother of fuck do there have to be warp tiles strewn all over the forest that warp you either to your spawn point or some other place that you don't want to be. Also, as Donny said, the characters on the Solar route are of a higher quality than the ones on the Lunar route(Shanam's a bigger joke than the Detroit Lions, Miranda needs babying that isn't happening to get anywhere, and Conomore is rather stock after considering Carrion and Fin should have better stats than this loser by now.)

I guess you 'could' say that the Lunar route is better because you won't have to deal with Cyas's huge ass leadership(10 stars is like giving all the enemies triple Charisma), but in my opinion, Cyas is pretty non-trivial compared to the 16B forest and the ballista-fest that is 17B.

Charging straight in through the front gate against overwhelming forces? YES PLEASE. (cf the GameFAQs guide on this)

Warp and Rescue are absolutely worth abusing, but probably not in your first playthrough. Except to clear Cyas out from chapter 22. I wouldn't suggest this to be a deciding factor.

Or you could duplicate your save file, play through both, and just pick one to complete the game with. (Did it that way, Lenster is way more fun, never went back to route B again.)

Personally I choose the A path (Misha/Sleuf) and I'm pretty happy!

Misha is really usefull (She replaces Karin who I couldn't promote... no enough item) and Sleuf is a good back up healer...

But I never choose Miranda/Shanam path so I can't tell (It's my first playground)

The SSS run uploaded on Nico goes the forest route. It's definitely more difficult than the gate route because you're forced to sacrifice turns with recruiting Olwen and letting more people escape in chapter 19; I think the player got exactly 179 turns while I can get 173 turns with the gate route (likely closer to 176 turns in actuality for a bit of flexibility allowed for chapters 5 and 18).

Interesting. Normal Mode, even? I got 170 turns on my run with Elite Mode and the gate route, but Normal Mode would understandably extend the run by well more than 3 turns.

I was aiming for 169 turns, but I couldn't pull off a 3-turn 24x. Although I think I still have the file in case I feel like trying again from there.

Edited by Othin