The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Ragnell

I am rather amazed that there isn't already a topic for this. Anyway, Skyward Sword is just days away from release worldwide. So far, it has garnered a Metacritic score of 95, including perfect 100's from IGN, GameInformer, Edge magazine, the Escapist, and 8 more publications. Still waiting on reviews from GameSpot and Nintendo Power as far as I am aware.

In my own personal opinion, the game looks phenomenal. I've got it preordered, and I'm eagerly awaiting the bonus CD as well. I listened to the bonus CD tracks on youtube, and they're nothing short of amazing.

The game's soundtrack is also up on youtube for those interested:

Edited by Ragnell

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the pirating peeps seem to like the game. It's been out for several days or so.

I didn't see anything interesting in the title myself. It feels like a late, white-washed release for the Wii. The gameplay is also a bit different from past Zelda titles, which is neither good nor bad.

I.E. Gamespot's review is the lowest so far. And we all know how good they are at reviewing games. (Their review is even more jarring when you consider the reasons why the review in question isn't higher, and may serve as yet another testament to just how "intelligent" Gamespot reviewers are.)

But yeah though. Some people are saying that it very well may be the best Zelda yet. I for one have been looking at trailers up unti now, and needless to say, I am impressed. I've already pre-ordered the collector's edition. Now I just need the money and I'm all set.

Edited by Little Al

I.E. Gamespot's review is the lowest so far. And we all know how good they are at reviewing games.

But yeah though. Some people are saying that it very well may be the best Zelda yet. I for one have been looking at trailers up unti now, and needless to say, I am impressed. I've already pre-ordered the collector's edition. Now I just need the money and I'm all set.

If memory serves, Famitsu rated it as high as Ocarina of Time. For what that's worth.

One of the key aspects of this Zelda is that there isn't an overworld. Rather, everything is essentially one huge "dungeon." For people who can't accept Wind Waker's overworld, they're going to cry at Skyward Swords.

And hopefully then be delighted by how every single moment of gameplay, essentially, outside of the hub world is non-stop dungeon-esque exploration. Action is dialed up to 9.

After how many people complained about Spirit Tracks? Seems like they're starting to have some sort of agenda against overworlds, which makes about as much sense as Metroid developers insisting on linearity. I've never seen anyone say they liked either change; are the developers really missing that much?

That said, I've never played Spirit Tracks, and one giant dungeon sounds damn fun. So as odd as the choice seems, I'm not making any complaints at this stage.

Edited by Othin

So, my brother claimed that this Zelda is supposed to have a gigantic amount of content, with (probably overblown) estimates of it taking around100 hours to do everything. Guess I'll see for myself; I hope it's fun stuff like in Majora's Mask and not just bug hunts.

So, my brother claimed that this Zelda is supposed to have a gigantic amount of content, with (probably overblown) estimates of it taking around100 hours to do everything. Guess I'll see for myself; I hope it's fun stuff like in Majora's Mask and not just bug hunts.

Interviews with developers have suggested that it will have 50-100 hrs of gameplay. It sounds like it should easily meet the lower estimate. I've heard that it takes about 40 hrs to get through the main story, so 50 hrs with all the sidequests should be reasonable.

Oh god!!!!!! This game is so awesome... My borther got it a while ago... but i only have 4 hours in ;_;... Damn homework.... God... The controls are so great... although i still have some getting used to, having some trouble making horizontal instead of vertical/diagonal and such.

I spent eight hours doing a freaking quote log yesterday...

Edited by SlayerX

I can imagine that using a button to attack would either be way easy (automated directions for the attacks) or way hard (some awkward way of directing your attacks) given how combat seems to focus largely on the direction you swing, from what I've seen of my friend playing. I haven't played much, myself, but I'm not much of a Zelda fan.

I've got this game since Saturday, but couldn't play it until last night because I don't have a Wii Motion Plus purchased. Now that I did, so far I think the game is pretty promising so far.

I like the idea of being able to travel far more easily between the surface world and Skyloft through those bird statues in case you need to replenish on bottles or equipment, and I just completed the first dungeon in the game. The combat system is much more relying on counter-attacking and slashing in openings in the enemies' defenses compared to previous Zelda games, and so far the puzzles don't disappoint either. I did just barely beat the first boss because I almost had no clue how to counter-attack him, but I'll wait and see how the rest plays out. And for those stuck on the game there's also apparently a Sheikah Stone similar to OoT 3DS in it which can provide hints in case you're stuck, but I haven't had any need of it so far.

I don't use a Wiimote much anymore but the controls can be fairly annoying at times. I wish I could play with a god old controller at times.

Skulltulas are fucking pricks too.

I always thought it was skullwalltula, not skulltula. But it turns out both are correct, for different creatures.