The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

1 hour ago, Zemuria said:

Enemy gambit can screw dodgetank plans, yes. 

But Byleth with a good authority level and charm can avoid these too. 

Be that as it may, I still think you have to go completely out of your way to have a dodgetank in 3H. At best, they might be able to dodgetank select enemy units. I would also consider: what is my dodgetank doing to the enemy in return?

• Replies 180.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Be that as it may, I still think you have to go completely out of your way to have a dodgetank in 3H. At best, they might be able to dodgetank select enemy units. I would also consider: what is my dodgetank doing to the enemy in return?

I'm not really gonna sit here and defend dodge tanking, since I think it's a pretty unreliable way to play, but I'm just gonna say, for chapter 13 in Maddening, for BL, GD, and Church BE, you kind of need to dodgetank to an extent if you want to actually beat this damn map. And that dodgetank is allowing you to actually progress in the game.
Again, i'm not defending it, because this chapter on Maddening is probably one of the worst maps I've played in my life, but it's necessary to an extent in at least this case.

For chapter 13 you just need swordbreaker and the thickets.

I mean if you play Golden Deers, then you do not need dodgetanks since Barbarossa Claude and Lysithea trivialize player Phase. Hilda could do too.

Blue Lions and Black Eagles have less / weaker player phase units, so enemy phase is probably more important here. At least it applied to me.

2 hours ago, Caster said:

I'm not really gonna sit here and defend dodge tanking, since I think it's a pretty unreliable way to play, but I'm just gonna say, for chapter 13 in Maddening, for BL, GD, and Church BE, you kind of need to dodgetank to an extent if you want to actually beat this damn map. And that dodgetank is allowing you to actually progress in the game.
Again, i'm not defending it, because this chapter on Maddening is probably one of the worst maps I've played in my life, but it's necessary to an extent in at least this case.

Good point.

39 minutes ago, Zemuria said:

For chapter 13 you just need swordbreaker and the thickets.

I mean if you play Golden Deers, then you do not need dodgetanks since Barbarossa Claude and Lysithea trivialize player Phase. Hilda could do too.

Blue Lions and Black Eagles have less / weaker player phase units, so enemy phase is probably more important here. At least it applied to me.

Unfortunately, Lysithea doesn't show up until after the hard part is over - those first few turns are what I'm more worried about than anything else. Swordbreaker only covers the sword units (granted, they're most of the enemy lineup, but still...), and that's assuming that I'm using a lance; if I have to swap weapons for whatever reason, they could be trouble. Also, the Lions at least get their main healer early, as opposed to after the hard part is over.

Edited by Shadow Mir

15 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

it's all better now xD

With Wyvern she has 21 STR lmao. Even if i am keeping her in the current class (she almost mastered it), passing the test and unlocking Wyvern made her have 18 STR xD

Wyvern bases are insane. You can even give someone like Annette (who is tailored towards being a Mage/Warlock) a good Strength stat just from the bases alone.
Now if only Bolt Axes didn't have shit hit rates...

13 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

...excuse me xD

My Units get one rounded by the enemies sometimes xD

Even Byleth is in danget of getting 2 shotted

The enemies are quite high quality so far xD

Indeed. Having only played on Normal so far (yes, I'm a scrub), the jump to Hard is very noticeable.
Not that that's a bad thing. Terrible units aside, I actually enjoy this Hard mode unlike Conquest Hard, which I didn't enjoy at all.

14 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

That doesn't quite work for me because Impregnable Wall is a thing for if I need to lure someone out.

... I legit forgot that Gambit exists. XD
My bad!

---

Meanwhile, my Golden Deer run has become the Golden Shit-Show. Only Claude, Byleth, and Hilda can even do anything anymore in battles. Marianne and Flayn are on healing duty, Flayn also provides emergency Magic damage (better than Lysithea can. Who didn't get too far from her base level. What the f***?), and everyone else has become bench fodder. I cleared the Battle of the Eagle and Lion by the skin of my teeth earlier and holy crap... I think I actually hate the Golden Deer house now. Lorenz, Ignatz, Raphael, and Leonie are all nigh unusable at this point, even Lysithea has so far refused to get even a single good level up, to the point where almost base level Flayn does better offensively than her (this is why I like Annette more smh).

Though this was to be expected, all things considered. After all, I struggled with them even on Normal and now that I'm playing on Hard, of course the failures would become even more obvious.

On the "positive" side of things, I have come up with a drinking game for the Golden Deer house:
Take a shot every time
- Ignatz fails to kill something
- Ignatz talks about art
- Lorenz fails to deal significant damage to anything
- Lorenz is an obnoxious prick (you'll have to down an entire bottle in one go, because he is that way all the damn time)
- Raphael gets doubled
- Raphael misses
- Raphael talks about food
- Raphael talks about muscles
- Leonie mentions Captain Jeralt in any capacity
- Leonie doesn't level Strength (she would still be at her pathetic 9 base if it weren't for class bonuses)
- Lysithea doesn't level one of the following stats: Magic, Speed. Three shots if she levels neither.
- Hilda kills something. Two shots if she one-rounds, three if she one-hit kills.
- Byleth doesn't level Speed

With the way my playthrough has been going so far, you won't even live to see the Battle of Red Cliffs the Eagle and Lion, so I'd advise against actually going through with it.

Edited by DragonFlames

Seriously Dimitri was hot garbage in maddening. He was the main reason why I turned down to hard in chapter 14 because he was not much more than a papar cut without having any mobility. His average defense did not cover bis slowness. And unlike Edelgard he has not the strength to oneshot in maddening and the appropirate preferences to become a wyvern Knight easily. Edelgars has the worst timeskip promotion unquestionable, but overall Dimitri was the worst Lord in maddening because he never really did shine. 

Also it is the first time I habe ever used my phone at work for side activities since everyone is in Christmas mood. No one does anything anymore. It is so boring. I will take friday off to have an extended Christmas break. Will be quitr busy nontheless. Will do three days trips to Berlin and Brugge (Belgium), so not much time for relaxing.

TFW Waifu Pope wants to stay with you forever, and Imperial Waifu Princess wants to elope with you.

Time to choose Smash i guess

Seriously though, i don't trust Edelgard, but i trust Rhea less xD

7 hours ago, Zemuria said:

I only played Blue Lions after timeskip in hard, and the gap between hard and maddening was immense.

Ah makes sense!

7 hours ago, Zemuria said:

From falcon knights with 37 AS in maddening, they have like the half in hard.

Do they carry Steel Axes or something? Because i am facing 20-30 AS enemies atm.

Especially promoted Sword Enemies tend to double everything that isn't Petra or Bernie xD

speaking about Petra...

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Wyvern bases are insane.

Yup. She's now my strongest unit lol. From 11 STR to 25 STR/24DEX/27SPD Petra xD. Not even Kronya with her 30 AS could double her lmao. She just destroys everything she touches xD

You know who also became good? Caspar. Death Blow + Brave Weapons = Pwnage. Has also one of the highest STR in the Team atm. And 2nd best DEF, with 15 DEF (only Edel & Petra are better with ~16 DEF iirc) xD. Shite Speed yes, but he kills alot of stuff much more reliably now.

And Dorothea is now a Sniper. Meteor + Fiendish Blow = One shotting.

Weakest unit is Ferdie von Ire though. Can't even get him to lvl20 to promote due to how weak he is. Desperation is useless on him since he never has enough AS to double....
Thankfully his Lance Rank is high enough to use Silver Lances.

Edited by Shrimperor

2 hours ago, Zemuria said:

Seriously Dimitri was hot garbage in maddening. He was the main reason why I turned down to hard in chapter 14 because he was not much more than a papar cut without having any mobility. His average defense did not cover bis slowness. And unlike Edelgard he has not the strength to oneshot in maddening and the appropirate preferences to become a wyvern Knight easily. Edelgars has the worst timeskip promotion unquestionable, but overall Dimitri was the worst Lord in maddening because he never really did shine. 

Did we play the same game?

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Weakest unit is Ferdie von Ire though. Can't even get him to lvl20 to promote due to how weak he is. Desperation is useless on him since he never has enough AS to double....

If you want him to be better I would change him to like, an infantry class, or something. I find cavs to be awful in this game, so yea. At least if you want to be a physical combat unit. 
Cav classes completely neuter your speed growth and even base I'm pretty sure.
I think Paladin is a pretty bad class, and Bow Knight is only good if you have great stats going into it.
Imo only the magic pony classes are workable, since you'll mainly be putting mages into them anyways.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Yup. She's now my strongest unit lol. From 11 STR to 25 STR/24DEX/27SPD Petra xD. Not even Kronya with her 30 AS could double her lmao. She just destroys everything she touches xD

Nice! Wyvern Petra is amazing. I tried that one out in one BE playthrough. It was great. She had a bit of trouble on the defensive side, but otherwise, she was a beast.
I do prefer her as an Assassin, personally. Which may have something to do with the fact that I needed someone to do the Sword tournaments for me. XD

You know who also became good? Caspar. Death Blow + Brave Weapons = Pwnage. Has also one of the highest STR in the Team atm. And 2nd best DEF, with 15 DEF (only Edel & Petra are better with ~16 DEF iirc) xD. Shite Speed yes, but he kills alot of stuff much more reliably now.

Caspar is one of those mixed bag units for me. He was absolutely atrociously awful in one BE playthrough, barely usable in the second and something approaching good in the third.
He still got slaughtered by many things, magic first and foremost among them.

And Dorothea is now a Sniper. Meteor + Fiendish Blow = One shotting.

This is what makes her one of my favorite units to use. Using Meteor to snipe things is so damn satisfying in this game.
Maybe it feels extra cathartic for me because I played Blue Lions first, which spams siege weapons in the late game.

You too, eh? I never had a good Ferdinand. With all his pomp about how he's better than Edelgard, he sure as heck is the weakest link in the Black Eagles (this is why I refused to accept that I actually kinda like his personality for so long until his support with Mercedes broke me).
Not making him a Paladin helped a little bit in my last playthrough, but he was still pretty shit compared to... basically everyone else. And all of this was on Normal, so I don't want to know what it's like on Hard.

1 hour ago, Caster said:

If you want him to be better I would change him to like, an infantry class, or something. I find cavs to be awful in this game, so yea. At least if you want to be a physical combat unit. 
I think Paladin is a pretty bad class, and Bow Knight is only good if you have great stats going into it.

This right here is the only reason why Three Houses is my favorite FE game. Finally, they got over their horse fetish. XD
I'm being somewhat facetious of course. I love Three Houses for its characters, story, and gameplay first.

And yes, you get a -10% penalty to your Speed growth for being a Cav or Paladin. I don't know about the others, but I think they give a penalty, too.

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

She had a bit of trouble on the defensive side

*looks at his units*
Who doesn't? xD
All my units kind have subpar defence, and i have to play extremly Player Phase oriented because of that (which is a good thing imo. Generally i am a fan of High lethality FE to not facetank everything)

She had a bit of trouble on the defensive side

yeah, but he can slaugter Mages fast, too, due to their low def

this is why I refused to accept that I actually kinda like his personality

Personality wise i really really like him. His heart seems to be in the right place, and he is one of the ''I gotte help commoners'' Nobles instead of the ''HOLIER THAN THOUGH'' ones, even if he is a bit arrogant. He kinda reminds me of Jusis in Cold Steel (which is one of the few things i like about Cold Steel xD)

This right here is the only reason why Three Houses is my favorite FE game. Finally, they got over their horse fetish. XD

Dragons though xD

Also, there isn't an advanced footie Lance class is there? 🤔
Maybe with his Axe rank i can do something else... (since i focused Lances and Axes on him)

Edited by Shrimperor

Today feels like spring regarding temperature. Quitted work earlier today just to spend a bit more time outside.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

TFW Waifu Pope wants to stay with you forever, and Imperial Waifu Princess wants to elope with you.

Time to choose Smash i guess

Seriously though, i don't trust Edelgard, but i trust Rhea less xD

Ah makes sense!

Do they carry Steel Axes or something? Because i am facing 20-30 AS enemies atm.

Enemies carry the same weapons in all difficulties from what I remember. The main difference in maddening are their massively buffed stats.

Falcon Knights have about 10 more strength and speed. Since they have less or no speed penalty the AS difference is even higher.

(Posting from my phone, so sorry for typos caused by wrong translation suggestion)

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

*looks at his units*
Who doesn't? xD
All my units kind have subpar defence, and i have to play extremly Player Phase oriented because of that (which is a good thing imo. Generally i am a fan of High lethality FE to not facetank everything)

True, the Black Eagles aren't exactly oriented toward defense, now that I think about it.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yeah, but he can slaugter Mages fast, too, due to their low def

It's a kill or be killed situation with him.
For me, it was more "be killed" than "kill" due to Mages having the range advantage, sadly.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Personality wise i really really like him. His heart seems to be in the right place, and he is one of the ''I gotte help commoners'' Noble instead of the ''HOLIER THAN THOUGH'' ones, even if he is a bit arrogant. He kinda reminds me of Jusis in Cold Steel (which is one of the few things i like about Cold Steel xD)

Yeah, Ferdinand's personality won me over fairly quickly, too. He was just such a terrible unit that I refused to admit that to myself.
And yes, he does remind me of Jusis, as well.
It's funny. Ferdinand is like Jusis, Lorenz and Caspar are VOICED by Jusis, Ignatz is like Elliot, Byleth is kinda like Rean, the way the school stuff and calendar works is almost identical with missions being at the end of a month... This game is a Trails of Cold Steel spin-off! XD
And that's another thing on the list of "Things I have attributed to Three Houses".
As of now it is:

• Inspired by Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors
  • Nights of Azure 3
  • a Trails of Cold Steel spin-off

Two of these things I said jokingly, one is what I seriously think.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, there isn't an advanced footie Lance class is there? 🤔
Maybe with his Axe rank i can do something else... (since i focused Lances and Axes on him)

Sadly, no infantry Lances here

Except Dimitri post-time skip.

Warrior might work for him. Or Hero, if you are willing to invest in his Sword rank from now on. Though I used him as a Hero last time and he still wasn't that great. Miles better than as a Cav or Paladin, sure, but he paled in comparison to Edelgard, Byleth, Dorothea and Petra.

I did not know while playing Blue Lions that units can turn back to a already passed classed. Dismounted Dimitri was useless in maddening. He just made things harder by his appearance by babysitting him (tbh same goes for Edelgard). If he could die, or not was forced to be brought, I would have not lowered the difficulty. 

Though since I know I can prompte him to a cavalier / paladin back immediately after timeskip, I should not have issue when I should retry BL in maddening (which I know will not happen soon since I am done with this game).

Edited by Zemuria

23 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

This game is a Trails of Cold Steel spin-off! XD

or ''What Cold Steel should've been'' ''Cold Steel if it was actually good'' etc

24 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Warrior might work for him.

Yeah might do that. He already has a high Axe rank. Sword rank for him would be a pain

3 hours ago, Caster said:

Imo only the magic pony classes are workable, since you'll mainly be putting mages into them anyways.

I'd honestly say they're too much work for too little reward, and Holy Knight in particular is rather lackluster.

3 hours ago, Caster said:

Yeah, all of them have negative speed growth. Also, all of them except Bow Knight have speed penalties unless you dismount.

or ''What Cold Steel should've been'' ''Cold Steel if it was actually good'' etc

Shots fired!
But you're right.

Yeah might do that. He already has a high Axe rank. Sword rank for him would be a pain

Good luck! Hopefully he can be salvaged.

Can i just say i love the Archer Crit Animation? Bernie on a Peg taking three arrows and firing them in rapid sucession feels amazing. And then she activates her crest for the Brave effect....

Say, does her Brave Effect stack with Brave Weapons? Can i get 4X Attacks before enemies even attack?

And Petra's ''I'LL REMOVE YOU'' is always a pleasure to hear xD

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Good luck! Hopefully he can be salvaged.

If all else fails, he shall become an adjutant

LOL, I saw a Joker cosplay at Darts World Championship.

It's just a question of time till I see a Fire Emblem costume.

The amount of Super Mario costumes is inflationary high, so why no other Nintendo series?

I wanted to do something to let it happen but unfortunately Lucina costume was out of stock.

49 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Say, does her Brave Effect stack with Brave Weapons? Can i get 4X Attacks before enemies even attack?

I don't think it does, but I'm not too sure.
It would be broken as heck if it did.

51 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And Petra's ''I'LL REMOVE YOU'' is always a pleasure to hear xD

Indeed it is.

Finished rewatching A New Hope for the first time in years earlier today. I tried to watch the original version but I couldn't find any working torrents of it, so I had to go with the Special Edition (specifically the one from the 90s). But you know what, I didn't give A New Hope enough credit. The movie is better than I remember it being.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Personality wise i really really like him. His heart seems to be in the right place, and he is one of the ''I gotte help commoners'' Nobles instead of the ''HOLIER THAN THOUGH'' ones, even if he is a bit arrogant. He kinda reminds me of Jusis in Cold Steel (which is one of the few things i like about Cold Steel xD)

Meanwhile Lorenz is Patrick.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Lorenz and Caspar are VOICED by Jusis,

Wait, are you telling me that Jusis is voiced by the one and only Joseph Joestar? Just for that, Jusis gets to go up on my Trails character rankings.

But like is this in English or in Japanese?

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I think it only stacks if she has 2x attack.

The real problem is getting Bernie's Crest to activate in the first place. I played the game four times and I can count the number of times Bernie activated her Crest with one hand.