The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

RF3's biggest issue is being too short, and bad weather being a randomized bother for farming in some seasons. 

RF4 also has some weather RNG. During the summer, you can be hit with a typhoon that'll just fuck over your crops. Appearently there's a blizzard equivalent during the winter but I could be remembering wrong. Wettable Powder defends against both you need a lot of them to cover entire farms.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm using DeSmuMe, which I think you said before you're using. That seems to be about the best DS emulator around doing a quick look, though others exist (MelonDS seems to be an okay alternative). There might be ways to adjust Desmume's settings to improve performance it sounds like, but I'm totally unfamiliar with how.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to look into some settings because I always get hiccups when using DeSmuMe.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What for?

This:

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, I watched some cutscenes back with the English voices on. I came to the conclusion that downloading the Japanese VO and playing the game with that on was a good decision on my part. Because while the English VO isn't terrible, it's severely lacking in emotion in places, making several scenes feel less impactful.
A good example of this is the scene I referenced above.

Because it feels like I stepped on a bit of a landmine with that.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I see OpenEmu has added Dolphin/GameCube support, I'm tempted to play Pokemon Colosseum after decades of longing, but I won't even try to run it.

Maybe this will convince you?

This is the battle theme for one of the game's bosses. Who just so happens to look like... y'know.
screenshot_2018_07_10_pokemon_colosseum_
That.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Those two on the bottom right sure look familiar. That brown-haired dude, too.

CS2/3 Spoilers

Spoiler

The brown haired dude you play as at the end of CS2

The other 2 you meet in CS3. Pretty early, too

Edited by Shrimperor

Because it feels like I stepped on a bit of a landmine with that.

Oh no, don't worry about that. The quality of Xenoblade 2's dub as been one of the most debated things since before the game even came out. 

I will admit I get a little too passionate when defending the English dub since I think it's a lot better than most people give it credit for but at the end of the day, it's just opinions.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

CS2/3 Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

The brown haired dude you play as at the end of CS2

The other 2 you meet in CS3. Pretty early, too

I know. I was trying to be clever, because (Spoilers for CS3)

Randy becomes Rean's colleague in CS3 and Tio joins you for a time while you are in Crossbell and again for a sidequest towards the end. The quest in question (hehe) also gives you several other party members to form an absolute dream team (replace Rean with Tita and put Tio in the lead, then you have the actual group I used for that quest):

AHadeqo.jpg

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The quality of Xenoblade 2's dub as been one of the most debated things since before the game even came out.

I can definitely see that, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I will admit I get a little too passionate when defending the English dub since I think it's a lot better than most people give it credit for but at the end of the day, it's just opinions.

It's fine, it's fine!
I know how that feels, though I have long since given up on defending things I'm passionate about. Years of trying to say that liking Pokémon's first Generation the most or even at all doesn't automatically mean you're a "genwunner" do that to you.

I know. I was trying to be clever, because (Spoilers for CS3)

That picture would've been perfect if you removed youknowwho xD

Edited by Shrimperor

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:
That picture would've been perfect if you removed youknowwho xD

The ones I could have replaced him with for that screenshot aren't much better, honestly (in fact, two of those are worse in my opinion).
Also, I wanted him to continue gaining EXP, because his usefulness in battle can't be denied ("Second form - GALE!"), so I kept him around.

Edited by DragonFlames

As a new user I am baffled at the fact that this specific thread has been around since 2011.

Have people really been able to keep it alive for 9 years without any lack of activity?

4 minutes ago, NickelPlateRoad said:

As a new user I am baffled at the fact that this specific thread has been around since 2011.

Have people really been able to keep it alive for 9 years without any lack of activity?

Welcome to the forest! Hope you have a good time here with the rest of us!

As for your inquiry, my best guess is that this thread is basically the "post anything" thread, so it's somewhat easier to have conversations and discussions with people about different topics without derailing the thread too much. You could be discussing Xenoblade with one person, Trails with the other, Neptunia with a third, and the corona virus pandemic with a fourth person in the same post.

Edited by DragonFlames

Certainly. Even FE4Thread was quite winding down by it's ninth year or so.

Which reminds me, something I could do during these times is another SRW playthrough talk.

That makes sense I suppose, I'm just very used to what other forums sometimes do which is archive the main chat thread once every year or two for a new fresh one.

Thank you for the kind welcome, by the way.

And I just kind of exist to annoy people and put Spaghet videos in the thread.

Welcome to quite a distance from the forest, Nickel! We hope you enjoy your stay.

Edited by Benice

Just finished King Kong vs Godzilla. Cheesy and entertaining but i don't know if i'd call it a good movie. But i also don't want to be too hard on it since it's from 1962. 

It's official; the band and quebec trip have both been cancelled.

At least we get so save a couple grand, right?

Looks like you guys have to deal with me for a while longer.

I think i am approaching the ''Plot will start to go crazy'' moment
Ya know, the thing after all the preparing in Trails for 70% of the game
I might finish the game by Sunday, looks like it. I am at the 2nd half of chapter 3 (which is the biggest chapter) and then ch4 and finale.

HYPE TIME.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

It's official; the band and quebec trip have both been cancelled.

Welcome to the club ;_;

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

RF4 also has some weather RNG. During the summer, you can be hit with a typhoon that'll just fuck over your crops. Appearently there's a blizzard equivalent during the winter but I could be remembering wrong. Wettable Powder defends against both you need a lot of them to cover entire farms.

Thats the exact same problem in RF3, minus the Wettable Powder preventative. Can you be outside during a typhoon? Old Story of Seasons games didn't let you and the entire day was a 2-minute waste, but RF3 did let you go outside even during a typhoon. And the weather in every pre-RF3 game was fixed- if it was raining when you woke up, it'd be raining the entire day, but RF3 made it so the weather could at any time during the day. So, you could be going about your business, thinking the day would pass by just fine, and then at 12:43 PM see a typhoon suddenly strike for a couple hours.😕

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Maybe this will convince you?

Ah yes, the man in a cave with a bunch of Ludicolos and a Shadow Sudowoodo. I remember. 

I still have Pokemon XD in my basement, but, I had a second GameCube in earlier years at my grandparents house. When my grandparents died, the druggie parasite of an uncle of mine who lived with them quickly sold whatever games I had left there, Colosseum (and the bonus Jirachi disc) with it.

I never finished Colosseum, for some reason, child me stopped at The Under and Lady Venus. I made it even less of the way into XD, not sure why. I think I got bored of grinding off the not-Power Rangers outside of the Lab, I did beat Lovrina though.

Yet, I've still some lasting interest in Orre. Why no remakes/sequels Nintendo? Game Freak didn't even make it, you outsourced it to Genius Sonority, so no next main title delay.

Years of trying to say that liking Pokémon's first Generation the most or even at all doesn't automatically mean you're a "genwunner" do that to you.

Agreed. One shouldn't be called a "Nostalgia Whore" or like terms, unless one makes statements to the effect of "This was the BEST GAME EVAH and it's PERFECT and YOU SUCK if you don't see it that way!". Having preferences for older things doesn't make you bad, it's being arrogant, rude, and intolerant that does. 

Speaking of Pokémon on the GameCube, can you believe that music like this is part of those?

I've never heard either of these before, thanks for thrusting them into my ears.:^_^:

Is that really the final battle theme for Colosseum? It sounds... uplifting. Not what I'd expect for the last clash, it has notes of seriousness too, but the lightness is peculiar when you're facing off against the head honcho of a crime syndicate. It has snippets that would fit in an old-fashioned American Western too, specifically some dashing action scene on train going through a canyon. Given Orre = Arizona and the American Southwest in general, that sorta works.

XD is similar. You're at Citadark, against a villainous organization who uses Shadow Pokemon. How is the music up in the sunny white clouds and sailing on the bright blue sea, and not enveloped by all-encompassing darkness that threatens to overcome you and swallow the world?

They're so different from what I perceive is the norm for final battles. That doesn't make them bad, not at all, contrast is appreciable. And in the right setting, a game where the final battle was essentially post-victory after an earlier decisive battle, as opposed to being the make-or-break moment, this rising music would be perfect.

Oh, those typhoons. Took a few across a few RF4 playthroughs before I began to pay more serious attention to my soil's stats.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can you be outside during a typhoon?

Yep. And there's one monster that shows up only during typhoons.

The characters do mention about one or two days in advance that a typhoon is coming so you do have time to prepare. And I think the earlier you go to sleep, the less damage the typhoons will do.

And on the bright side, typhoons will drop material stones and lumber for you to gather.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah yes, the man in a cave with a bunch of Ludicolos and a Shadow Sudowoodo. I remember. 

Miror B, good times! 

Speaking of Pokémon on the GameCube, can you believe that music like this is part of those?

Seriously, these would fit right in with other JRPGs, too.
And this is from 2004/2005.

I also loved XD's music, they did a wonderful job with the battle themes! 

I just finished up a True End run of Nights of Azure 2 earlier. Honestly, I prefer the Normal Ending, but hey. Preferences.
One thing I won't deny though is that the final boss of that game (the same one for both endings) is my favorite in any game ever. The music, the boss itself, the atmosphere of the fight... it's everything I want out of a final boss and then some.
JwHkoMh.jpg

"What a thrill!" indeed.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I still have Pokemon XD in my basement, but, I had a second GameCube in earlier years at my grandparents house. When my grandparents died, the druggie parasite of an uncle of mine who lived with them quickly sold whatever games I had left there, Colosseum (and the bonus Jirachi disc) with it.

I never finished Colosseum, for some reason, child me stopped at The Under and Lady Venus. I made it even less of the way into XD, not sure why. I think I got bored of grinding off the not-Power Rangers outside of the Lab, I did beat Lovrina though.

Yet, I've still some lasting interest in Orre. Why no remakes/sequels Nintendo? Game Freak didn't even make it, you outsourced it to Genius Sonority, so no next main title delay.

I can imagine the reason for stopping at The Under Venus and that reason is her Steelix that just won't die (unless you have Typhlosion or Entei) as well as her Shadow Suicune that just won't stay inside any kind of Pokéball. Though the hardest part of the game comes right after that, in my opinion.

Colosseum and XD remakes/rereleases on the Switch would be amazing.

Agreed. One shouldn't be called a "Nostalgia Whore" or like terms, unless one makes statements to the effect of "This was the BEST GAME EVAH and it's PERFECT and YOU SUCK if you don't see it that way!". Having preferences for older things doesn't make you bad, it's being arrogant, rude, and intolerant that does.

Well said!

I've never heard either of these before, thanks for thrusting them into my ears.:^_^:

You're very welcome!

Is that really the final battle theme for Colosseum? It sounds... uplifting. Not what I'd expect for the last clash, it has notes of seriousness too, but the lightness is peculiar when you're facing off against the head honcho of a crime syndicate. It has snippets that would fit in an old-fashioned American Western too, specifically some dashing action scene on train going through a canyon. Given Orre = Arizona and the American Southwest in general, that sorta works.

XD is similar. You're at Citadark, against a villainous organization who uses Shadow Pokemon. How is the music up in the sunny white clouds and sailing on the bright blue sea, and not enveloped by all-encompassing darkness that threatens to overcome you and swallow the world?

They're so different from what I perceive is the norm for final battles. That doesn't make them bad, not at all, contrast is appreciable. And in the right setting, a game where the final battle was essentially post-victory after an earlier decisive battle, as opposed to being the make-or-break moment, this rising music would be perfect.

The way I see it is that they're supposed to be triumphant, since you were the one to drive Cipher into a corner and ruin every single one of their plans up until that point, so it's more like a "you did it! Now you can beat this last obstacle, then the world will be saved!" theme instead of a "holy crap, now the bad guys're getting serious!" theme.

The XD one especially supports this theory of mine, since you just got done catching/defeating Cipher's trump card, Shadow Lugia itself. Which, incidentally, has a battle theme that would fit right in with a freaking horror movie:

The actual battle isn't hard, since you have a Master Ball, but what comes after that (where the final battle music comes in) is probably the hardest battle in the entire Pokémon franchise (Spoilers just in case):

The boss has no less than 6 Shadow Pokémon for you to snag, all of which are very, very strong: Rhydon, Moltres, Tauros, Exeggutor, Articuno, Zapdos in that order. Every single one of their moves is super effective against non-Shadow Pokémon and the legendary birds especially can down most of the stuff you can bring in one or two attacks. Tauros, Articuno, and Zapdos come with the nasty Shadow Sky, a weather effect that damages all non-Shadow Pokémon every turn for five turns, like Hail or Sandstorm.

Better leave a slot open for Lugia, since it can help you out greatly. Being a Shadow Pokémon itself, the opposition's Shadow Moves won't do much to it. And with Lugia's super high defenses, "not very effective" means "basically no damage at all" to this beast.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Miror B, good times!

Groovy!
His XD theme is even better, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I also loved XD's music, they did a wonderful job with the battle themes! 

Yup!