Rate the Unit, Day 21: Canas

Integrity

So FE6 has Nosferatanking, and FE7 has Lunacritting.

What does FE8 get?

The possibility of physical units using dark magic?

That actually makes units like Garcia and Gerik good with the heavy tomes. xD

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canas is easily the most overrated character in FE7. Erk and Lucius are much better overall, even with taking Luna into account (which is only good against a few enemies that strong physical weapons can handle just fine).

3.5/10

So FE6 has Nosferatanking, and FE7 has Lunacritting.

What does FE8 get?

Summons, which sadly, have nothing to do with dark magic. Oh, and Gleipnir, which is a terrible spell.

Canas is easily the most overrated character in FE7. Erk and Lucius are much better overall, even with taking Luna into account (which is only good against a few enemies that strong physical weapons can handle just fine).

Indeed. In fact the main crux of Luna's usefulness is in the last chapter.

Just out of curiosity, did those same of you who are rating Canas low for being obsoleted by Athos rate Erk and Lucius low for being obsoleted by Pent?

I rated him the way I did because he comes (relatively) late, and I don't know if I've got the resources to promote him/a reason to use him a lot.

Just out of curiosity, did those same of you who are rating Canas low for being obsoleted by Athos rate Erk and Lucius low for being obsoleted by Pent?

Wasn't around for Erk, but I gave Lucius a 6. I rated Canas as I did because dark magic's so heavy and there's just not much of a reason to use him besides Luna.

Depends. In the case of Erk & Lucius, I did think they should get a lower score because when you factor in a ton of different stuff, I think Pent does their stuff better once you get pent. A unit doing what they do, only better would get a higher score. I know that is not everything, but its what I was looking at. Erk and Lucius have utility in the earlier chapters. Something Pent certainly could never make-up. But if I was to look at what they do in those chapters, they are not exceptional. They get an average rating in my books. ~6/10 Once you get Pent though, he is arguable the better unit that the others cannot make-up for.

In the case of Canas & Athos, it is another similar case. Canas no matter what he does, he will be outperformed by Athos at end-game. But Canas has many more chapters being the only guy who can use Nosferatu and Luna. And he is not a horrible unit in those chapters. Only his performance (like erk and lucius) is not the greatest. They get a lower score based on simply that. The Pent and Athos are great the moment you get them and have plenty of uses in the chapters you happen to have them.

I think people are more downplaying Canas for being too slow for the 8 levels before he is as fast as Erk and other people can do some of the same stuff he can does. Canas at 15/1, he has the same attack speed with Flux as a 15/1 Erk with Thunder. 14 AS. Except Canas has more defence and resistance along with magic. Erk does nothing except kill generic units just like Canas and for about 3 chapters sooner. Canas can actually kill bosses. Yes, other units can kill Ursula, Limstella, and Sonia. But many others also cannot ORKO them as he can with Luna when they use Bolting. Canas and Erk seems pretty identical after promotion.

• 3 years later...