Rate the Unit, Day 21: Canas

Integrity

I do not see why you need any other tomes other than luna, flux and nosferatu anyway. Those are the best and most available tomes for the whole game anyway.

Exceept Nosferatu sucks outside of FE6 thanks to weighing like 1001 pounds.

Edited by Metal King Slime

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but it's not right most of the day (the sole exception being, of course, Wil, but we all knew that was inevitable).

No shit sherlock. Thanks for owning yourself for me.

I said I'd do this. You've given me the perfect opportunity to do so!

*clipsey STABS Kngt_Of_Titania's hands with the stilettos she's wearing*

I think dondon was being nice to you. Otherwise, you'd be rated the exact same as Wil.

Clipsey = Female Hero.

You make it sound like I'm hard to be around. :lol:

Exactly

Edited by Gafgarion

Don't worry about it 8D

Now I really need to know. ;):

No shit sherlock. Thanks for owning yourself for me.

No, the point was your analogy sucked because our ratings agreed more than very occasionally, which you implied. Hence the whole...never mind, it's not that hard to figure out.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

No, the point was your analogy sucked because our ratings agreed more than very occasionally, which you implied. Hence the whole...never mind, it's not that hard to figure out.

please continue i would like to hear more of your wisdom, o broken clock

KoT's saying that he's not a broken clock if he's right (relative to Gaf's opinions) most of the time. Which either means Gaf's a hypocrite, or he's wrong. But idk.

I give Canas a 5/10. Outside of being the only dark magic user in the game under 100 years old, the only thing he has going for him is his monocle. I feel like he'd be better wielding a lighter magic set (Light or Anima), and came with a C Staff Rank. His magic could make for some decent healing, but there are more than enough already...

I like using Canas. He's got meh growths, however that +4AS on promotion is not something to ignore.

Can be useful for many a map involving mages and sages and magic in general. Not so frail as other magic users, at least.

Raven's rating: 68%

10/10 awesome bosskiller with luna, stays alive forever with nosferatu, and the only dark magic user in the game so you pretty much have to use him anyway

Oh yeah, forgot a rating for me.

He's the Kent to Lucius's Sain. Lucius is probably better, but I like Canas more so fuck logic. 7/10

Edited by Integrity

You know, it's probably a case of me missing the point, but I personally never saw Nosferatu as an advantage for Canas since it's just too heavy to bother using. I'd rather just use a healer than try to regain health with a heavy and inaccurate life draining spell.

Athos exists. 3/10

Athos exists for like 5% of the time Canas is around. I don't see how that obsoletes him.

Basically what Integ said, but I'll give him a 6/10 here. I can't give him a better score than Lucius or Erk.

Nosferatu never struck me as *that* inaccurate (it's 10 less hit than Flux, which hurts, but enemy avoid is so bad and true hit amplifies hit chances greatly once it's above 75-80% displayed hit), but it is slow. Very, very slow.

Sadly, I'd only ever found it useful when I need the healing, or need a caster to drain tank to allow a caster to have decent long-term EP while holding it (provided he is never doubled with the tome), which is kind of rare. I'll play FE7 again and try to give Canas another chance, as I always kind of felt he got a bad shake, but the fact he can't double many things off the bat (or soon after joining) without an early promo is really annoying; it's way too annoying to not ditch him in favor of Lucius or Erk, despite the fact that I kind of like him as a character.

EDIT: Athos partially (but hardly completely) obsoletes Canas, mainly because Luna is one of Canas' big advanatages and much of the tome's use is in Final, which is esentially a series of mini-boss fights (all of whom have pretty massive RES) in quick succession. That doesn't mean that Luna (or Canas) has no use outside of it, just that Athos kind of steals Canas' thunder.

KoT's saying that he's not a broken clock if he's right (relative to Gaf's opinions) most of the time. Which either means Gaf's a hypocrite, or he's wrong. But idk.

Mainly just that his analogy was wrong on its premise, making the post rather ironic, is all. But much appreciated. smile.gif

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

Canas is a good character unto himself, but I feel that he is very overrated.

Anyway, he has decent enough offense. At base level he has 17 atk, which 2HKO's any physical enemy that isn't a boss. To give out an idea of how high this is, Lucius needs to be Lv13 on average to match this with Lightning. While this isn't knocking anyone's socks off, this is pretty good despite him not doubling. Speaking of that, Canas doesn't do a whole lot of doubling until he promotes, at least. The guy has 8 base speed, which goes down to 7 with Flux, which isn't doing a whole lot of doubling, and with a mediocre 35% growth, he's pretty much reliant on his +3 spd and +1 con bonuses if he wants to double later on. For example, a 16/1 Canas going into C22 has 14AS, allowing him to double nomads, cavs, and wyvern knights. This also allows him to double Eubans with Flux, even though 12 damage per round royally sucks.

His durability is slightly above average for a magic user. 21HP/5def at base isn't knocking anyone's socks off, but it's still better than what Erk and Lucius have at 8/0, and he has 70HP/25def growths, so he can establish a durability lead(31HP/7def at 16/1 is better than what Erk or Trap can accomplish at that level.). His res isn't all that great next to Lucius's(but that's the case for basically everybody), but 14 res at 16/1 is still decent in it's own right.

When people rate Canas, they give him inflated ratings because of Luna. However, there are a few strikes against this: Firstly, Canas's speed is already bad, and Luna bogs his AS down by 4. Second, Luna is only really effective in Light, and Athos has more magic than 20/20 Canas(30 vs 24. That's a difference of 6 damage per hit, or 18 per crit). Third, any bosses before Light that Luna is worth using on can easily be dominated by a strong physical unit(Units like Dart and Raven can ORKO Ursula and Sonia just as easily and they don't need a crit to do it.)

He's pretty average in my opinion.

Edited by darkandroid125

So FE6 has Nosferatanking, and FE7 has Lunacritting.

What does FE8 get?

Dark magic sucking completely and utterly.

Nosferatu never struck me as *that* inaccurate (it's 10 less hit than Flux, which hurts, but enemy avoid is so bad and true hit amplifies hit chances greatly once it's above 75-80% displayed hit), but it is slow. Very, very slow.

Sadly, I'd only ever found it useful when I need the healing, or need a caster to drain tank to allow a caster to have decent long-term EP while holding it (provided he is never doubled with the tome), which is kind of rare. I'll play FF7 again and try to give Canas another chance, as I always kind of felt he got a bad shake, but the fact he can't double many things off the bat (or soon after joining) without an early promo is really annoying; it's way too annoying to not ditch him in favor of Lucius or Erk, despite the fact that I kind of like him as a character.

Granted, it's not too bad in the accuracy department, but its heavy weight makes it Awesome, but Impractical. It basically knocks Canas down to pre-promotion AS levels (and we all know how much his pre-promotion AS stinks).

Granted, it's not too bad in the accuracy department, but its heavy weight makes it Awesome, but Impractical. It basically knocks Canas down to pre-promotion AS levels (and we all know how much his pre-promotion AS stinks).

I agree completely. I wish Nosferatu was just as awesome but more practical, but if it was significantly lighter, it'd probably be insane as a tome, balanced roughly only by its (poor) availability. High MT and healing for every point of damage done? OSHIT.

When people rate Canas, they give him inflated ratings because of Luna.

When a unit is judged, they are based on availability, stats, and what weapons they use. Judging with Luna inflation is like judging with sword-lock, and it's not a bad thing, its how it should be done. Canas is a magic user that is simply less useful and less practical than others.

It is Luna that gives him a reason to at least get off the bench.

Edited by Elieson

I'll play FF7 again and try to give Canas another chance, as I always kind of felt he got a bad shake, but the fact he can't double many things off the bat (or soon after joining) without an early promo is really annoying; it's way too annoying to not ditch him in favor of Lucius or Erk, despite the fact that I kind of like him as a character.

I don't think anyone can double right off the bat in the whole game. After all, Double Cut doesn't even show up until the Shinra Airship.

Edited by Refa

I agree completely. I wish Nosferatu was just as awesome but more practical, but if it was significantly lighter, it'd probably be insane as a tome, balanced roughly only by its (poor) availability. High MT and healing for every point of damage done? OSHIT.

I didn't mention earlier, but there are only 3 copies of Nosferatu, but one comes when endgame's right around the corner, and another requires going to Genesis (which might not be a good idea in Hector's hard mode). Which means Nosferatu's even more useless than I thought.