Uncaring Night

Defeatist Elitist

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Damios snaps off a shot, impaling one of the creatures, those remaining near the ground ascend to approximately fifty feet above the rooftops and begin circling, while the last of the civilians slide down from the roof.

OOC:

So far, Sternblade has taken 5 unhealed damage, Stella has taken 2, and Damios and Tamara have each taken 1.

EDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT: Also this means you can act out of combat order or whatever. Combat is over basically.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

Dwayne nods at Stella and moves to the side of the open building's doorstop. He beckons the crowd to come inside, though he still gazes at the skies with an expression of dread. Still beckoning, he retrieves his spyglass for one last look at the swarm.

Growing restless, he simultaneously tries to listen for any unfamiliar sounds.

Listen Roll(1d20)+10: 2,+10

Total: 12

The civilians begin to pile insided the building, while Dwayne scans the sky, though he sees little he did not know about from the ground. The creatures continue to circle. As he listens, he can't seem to pick out any noise unaccounted for.

After a few seconds, which seemed to last quite a while, Dwayne relaxes slightly, and murmurs at the size of the swarm. He puts away his spyglass and takes a moment to stare plainly at the sheer amount of space the creatures take up in the sky. Still motioning the crowd, he turns to the brave fighters and halfway cracks a smile.

"Where I'm from, there's no shortage of tainted beasts, or even undead, as in man-made places of death and darkness, but it's few that ever work together in numbers. Even less will attack city peoples in the open, without fear. Do you face these threats in open war daily, uh.. friends?"

As Dwayne speaks, he fiddles with a string of rope in his pocket and listens to the night.

"I'm sorry, you mean that you, uh, don't know war? You'd be even more rare where I come from, and a witch who doesn't know war on top of that!" Dwayne nearly loses himself in thought.

"Oh, excuse me, I lose myself often. Well, war is conflict, between one form of people and another on the largest of scales, usually open and always shameless. It fills and takes lives that can't be counted, and it seems to be everywhere. Right now, if these beasts keep attacking, it'll be a kind of war I've never heard of in a hundred years, but it'll be war nonetheless." Dwayne only then realized he might be rambling, and maybe a bit pessimistic.

Edited by Rehab

• 1 month later...

"We've been in pretty much yer boat, nothing of this sort has happened here for as long as I can remember," pipes up one of the civilians in response to Dwayne, "But I've heard tell of things like this before. Listen, if this is anything like the tales they used to tell us, and I'm not sayin' it is, we'd best be getting to the inner city fast, and even that might not help us. I've a feeling that we've not seen half of what's to come."

Outside the creatures continue to swoop about high above you, and you see that several other groups of the creatures seem to still be circling over other locations in the outer city.

OOC: So yeah I had finals and a bunch of other shit, but I should be good now.

After turning from Stella and listening to the man in the crowd, Dwayne looks again to the skies. He stares at a distant group of the circling creatures.

"This is no small town, but we've seen no other people yet, and there seem to be abandoned buildings all around. I'd suppose they've either fled in groups of their own, one way or another, or that they've stolen away to an attic somewhere."

Dwayne's eyes narrow.

"And this might be that attic, for us. I wonder if those circling flocks there aren't preying on more trapped people."

Dwayne turns to the nearby shelter's doorway.

"I feel like we should be moving, but these people can only be pushed so hard. If nothing else, I can check if there's anybody holed up in here before trying to move on."

Dwayne smiles a little.

"It's very strange, feeling so responsible for so many after living, surviving alone, for so long."

Dwayne climbs to the attic of the abandoned building and peers in, but it appears completely deserted. Climbing down, he finds that the townspeople have gathered toward the outside of the building.

"Everyone says they can carry on, if you can offer us protection," one of them says, "Better to be tired and safe than trying our luck here for another night. We think we can make it."

OOC: If noone posts within a day or so, I'll assume everyone's fine with the group continuing. I mean, feel free to post that anyway if you'd like.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

The group begins to move out, and makes good progress. You see very little in the streets, but as you approach the inner city it quickly becomes clear why. As the walls come into sight at the edge of your vision, you see a massive throng of creatures gathered around one of the gates. It seems to thin rapidly as it moves further from the gate, but the creatures are still far too numerous to count. The top of the wall is covered in lights, as figures with torches run back and forth, and you think you can see an occasional arrow flying from the battlements. As you look at the gate, you think you can see several chains hanging in front of it, perhaps having broken as the door was barred. You can also see a small, iron door in the wall a small ways from the mass of creatures, though you can't tell whether it is locked or unlocked, or even if it is slightly ajar from this position.

Stella surveys the scene. She notices the door in the background. Maybe we could get in through there... but it looks locked. Maybe we could have... Damios was his name, wasn't it... unlock it? But then we'll need a diversion to distract the monsters... and we'll need to get everybody inside the door as soon as possible, otherwise the monsters can follow us in... and we need to make sure that the city's guard doesn't mistaken us for invaders and attack us... Oh, I can use Nana for this...!

She summons an indigo bird about half her size. "Fly up the wall and tell the guard that a group of beleaguered refugees need access to the city. Tell them where we are and tell them not to fire upon us."

Nana nodded, then without a word, took off for the wall.

Stella then found Damios. Looking up at him, she mustered the courage to talk to him. "Do you think you can unlock that door over there...?"

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

Nana flies swiftly upward, making it over the battlements without issue, and apparently landing, and, within a few seconds, you can see the bird returning. Nana's success in delivering the message is conveyed to Stella through their empathic link.

"Well, looks like the mighty wizard doesn't know everything," Damios said with a look at Stella. "Try not to draw any attention to me..."

Damios made to move away from the rest of the group. He would make his way along the sides of the houses, sticking to the shadows until he reached the wall. Those zombies didn't look very alert... it shouldn't be too hard to approach the door without being noticed.

Roll Move Silently:

Take 10

10+8=18

Roll Hide:

Take 10

10+8=18

Damios slowly moves away from the group, hugging the nearby buildings as he approaches the wall, before slowly picking his way across the brief, open area before reaching the door.

(damios - clandestine seducer of domiciles)

Damios looks at the door, because APPARENTLY that's not an obvious thing to do. He takes note of whether it's ajar or not a jar, and if it's a door and not a jar he checks if it's locked.

Damios checks the door, and finds that it's locked, however it seems possible to pick it from the outside.

OOC: I meant to include the locked status of the door in my previous post I swear. 8]

Damios takes a moment to focus, before carefully starting to work at the lock, and, after almost ten seconds of fiddling Damios moves back from the lock. Pushing the door slightly, he finds that it moves.

OOC: Success if that wasn't clear.

Huh, what was that for...

Upon hearing the lock click, Nana communicated to Stella about Damios' success.

Okay...! "The city guard knows not to fire on us... Now, we have to sneak into the door and make sure the zombies don't recognize that we're there... but it'll be tough to get everyone inside there and not be noticed... I guess those of us that can fight can try our luck being a diversion."

Stella found herself thinking out loud yet again. She covered her mouth as soon as she caught herself, blushing slightly at the attention she was attracting.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter