Uncaring Night

Defeatist Elitist

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thanks! I'll be back here once the battle's over!"

Stella and Dwayne bolted back to the city's wall to aid Ferrick's regiment. I hope we didn't waste too much time hunting for weapons...

Dwayne and Stella return to the battlements, though it seems little has occurred in their absence. The throngs of creatures continue to press against the wall and gates, however they seem to have accomplished very little. After almost an hour of tense waiting however, you spot a huge, lumbering shape in the torchlight. As it draws slightly closer, you see a massive hulking creature, vaguelly resembling some sort of ape. It appears to be made of decaying flesh, like the other creatures, but shards and chunks of metal seem to be embedded in its skin, some jutting out at bizarre angles. On its back, a rusted metal hook protrudes out of the creatures flesh. The creatures begins heading directly toward the gate at its lumbering pace. It is approximately fourty feet away.

OOC: Not starting initiative yet or anything, if you guys want to discuss stuff amongst the group or do anything quickly with your characters that should be fine.

"What... what is that thing..." Stella threw up in her mouth at the sight of the hulking blob of flesh approaching the city walls.

She quickly regained her composure and readied her new wand.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

Matthis glares at the misshapen being shambling towards the group one hand ready to draw either his blade or hammer, depending on what he could discern about the foe before the group. Depending on what it was vulnerable to, he would decide on the appropriate weapon.

Reflexively, he asks the other religious figure in the group for aid in confirming his knowledge of the creature, "Tamara...do you know what is that abomination called?"

Matthis rolls for knowledge religion check to identify the creature!

13 + 7 = 20

OOC: Can he get an aid another check from Tamara to boost his roll?

Matthis scours his mind, trying to recall any mention of a creature like this. After quickly realizing that it is not similar to typical undead, Matthis concludes that this creature is likely a variety of Flesh Golem, creatures stitched together from various body parts, and imbued with new life by a magician of some type.

OOC: What is Stella using the scrolls on?

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

Dwayne's gaze widens, in turn.

"I've never seen something this large and twisted up close, either. Captain, do you have anything we could use here? If not weaponry, something that would do damage if dropped on it."

Dwayne scans the ramparts, including above them if applicable, for something that could be latched onto with a grappling hook.

As Dwayne scans the parapet, he sees that it is quite sturdily built, perhaps too sturdily built. A grappling hook could certainly be affixed to almost any part of the parapet, but he sees no rubble of any meaningful size that appears collapsible. He does see the chains hanging from the gatehouse, some of them attatched to the gate's apparatus, as well as a number of small braziers set up periodically for the defenders, but there seems little else, though it's possible objects could be salvaged from the rest of the town albeit perhaps not in time.

"I've not a clue how to deal with this beast," says Ferrick, "Our city has access to ancient siege weaponry, which might be able to harm it, however that would be a last ditch effort. We would only be able to actually hit the creature after it had broken through our walls."

"Then shall I go forth and fight this creature? That is the only way I can think of to glean more information," Sternblade says, being dumb and not knowing how to do anything except fight well.

Stella looked at Sternblade with a perplexed expression on her face. "...How would you do that...? After we all just barely managed to get in... are you just going to leap over the walls and rush through the horde of zombies...?"

"I have faith in Sternblade. I am certain it would take more than a handful of the shambling dead to bring him down."

"if you must go forward brave warrior, you will not do so alone," Matthis said laying a gauntlet on Sternblade's muscular shoulders. "I will not do such craven things as to try to steal your glory by engaging the creature myself as much as I desire to personally rid the world of such foul abominations. But I would help you hold back the mob to keep the fight between you and the creature undisturbed, to make it a fair fight."

Grinning, Matthis added, "It is only fitting I, a champion of justice and piety would seek to ensure fairness in combat is enforced. The undead do not fight fairly or honourably."

The creature seems to be making a beeline for the gate, albeit at a lumbering pace.

"I'll dispatch my men to get a ballista, just in case," says Ferrick, "I don't know how you'll fare trying to fight that beast down there, so don't throw your lives away."

"You have any better ideas?" Sternblade says to Stella, "I thought so. Worry not, captain, I shall be back. Let us go, Matthis."

Sternblade goes outside to meet the flesh golem.

Edited by Nightmare

Matthis advances to stand by Sternblade's side with warhammer in hand watching the mob of undead to see if any would engage them before the flesh golem. He would see to it that Sternblade's duel with the flesh golem be undisturbed although the paladin suspected he would have to end up intervening directly anyway.

"Now we wait for Sternblade to smite down the beast." Tamara gazes down at Sternblade, metaphorical love-hearts in her eyes. "What, don't you think he can win?"

Edited by Furetchen

"Oh, I'm sure he'll be fine alone," Tamara says, stringing her longbow. When she catches Stella looking at her with a raised eyebrow, she mutters "Well, you know... just in case something happens..."

As Sternblade and Matthis descend to stand in front of the gate, the flesh golem presses forward, and the zombies part to allow it forward. The creatures doesn't seem to be slowing down, and is heading straight to the gate, seemingly only seeing Sternblade and Matthis when it is ten feet from them, where it slows its pace.

OOC:

Initiative:

Dwayne 23

Sternblade 19

Matthis 19

Stella 7

Tamara 7

Zombies 6

Flesh Golem 1

Dwayne smiled a bit admiringly as Sternblade and Matthis went forth, then turned to the rest briefly.

"Sometimes, your people meet a challenge headstrong which mine would simply take any pain to avoid. I have to say, I like that about you."

He turns his gaze to the horde.

"Er, generally speaking."

Focusing as best he can, Dwayne crouches and begins to stalk [move silently and/or hide(untrained)] towards a less illuminated portion of the ramparts. Hoping he's away from the abominations' eyes, he draws his bow, then an arrow, and aims for the golem to distract it as the party approaches.

Dwayne slides along the ramparts, stopping behind a burnt out torch. He pokes his head above the wall and lets loose an arrow, which flies straight to toward the creature, striking it in the side, though it hardly seems to respond.

OOC: 15 and 3 (before modifiers) are your Move Silently and Hide rolls respectively, you got 15+5=20 on your to hit roll, and 4+1= 5 on your damage roll.

"What an ugly sight...but it will be even uglier once I am done with it!"

Sternblade bellows, a great howl of lust and fury, and charges at the creature.

Hit Roll: 2 + 7 = 9

Damage Roll: 1 + 5 = 6 + 5 = 11