Uncaring Night

Defeatist Elitist

(Sorry I haven't been posting guys, I promise I'll be better in the future)

"This will go more quickly if I carry someone down." Damios said to a woman with a small girl holding the hem of her dress. The girl looked to be no older than five or six. She quickly complied, and soon the girl was clinging to Damios' back as he carefully descended the rope. When he had reached the bottom, he set her on the ground.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayne hesitates, eyes fixed on where he last saw the flitting shapes. Without turning his gaze, he retrieves a spy glass from his bag and tries to slowly scan the skies.

"I'll follow the last of you down," Dwayne addresses the crowd, hoping his elven sense of hearing will be enough to tell that the crowd has nearly left the roof.

As the civilians slowly descend, Dwayne keeps his spyglass fixed on the skies, while those who descended cautiously scan the street. A little more than three quarters of the civilians have descended when Dwayne spots shapes moving towards him. Within moments the rest of the group can make them out too. The creatures appear to be similar to bats, and not much larger, but as the swarm dives toward the group on the ground, you spot wicked looking protrusions jutting out of their skin. While they have descended too quickly for you to be sure, there must be at least twenty of the creatures.

As they swoop in, a group of the creatures flies straight through those on the ground, while the others pull up to circle overhead. As the creatures fly past, the barbs on their body dig into the barely protected flesh of Stella and Sternblade, leaving a number of shallow gashes, before flying through the assembled civilians, scattering them.

OOC:

Stella and Sternblade each take two damage. About a quarter of the civilians are still on the roof or on their way down. Sternblade, Stella, Damios, Tamara and Matthis are on the ground, Dwayne, Rine and Ariadne (if the latter two post in a timely fashion) are on the roof.

Initiative Order:

Dwayne: 18

Sternblade: 15

Tamara: 14

Stella: 13

Damios: 12

A group of creatures

Matthis: 11

Rine: 19

Ariadne: 16

Another group of creatures

If Rapier or Wen don't post within a day or so of this post in one of the UN topics I'll just ignore their turn or have them do something basic until they do post, and I'll probably do the same thing if anybody else misses their turn for more than a day or so.

As the creatures return to the sky, Dwayne turns to the bystanders still on the roof.

He barks, "Descend quickly and find cover, there's nowhere to hide up here!"

Dwayne then glances at the nearest adjacent building, trying to judge whether it's close enough to jump into via a window, but quickly returns to the flock. Deciding to try to draw their attention from the larger crowd, Dwayne readies his bow and arrow, hoping this won't make things any worse.

[spoiler=rollin' rollin' rollin']Roll(1d20)+8: 20,+8 Total:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taXEh4jpLtI

As the civilians start rushing to descend, Dwayne looses an arrow into the cloud of creatures, easily impaling one of the creatures on the arrow and taking the creature out of the sky. The swarm spreads slightly, but reforms a moment later.

OOC: Dwayne killed one.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

Sternblade pops a vein (or two) and rages at the flying things.

OOC: He activates rage, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T GET IT.

He also attacks one of the things.

OOC:

Hit roll: 18 + 7 = 25 + 2 = 27

Damage roll: (5 + 3) + 5 = 13 + 3 = 16

Sternblade leaps forward, cleaving one of the low flying creatures in two, and spins toward another, his blade just barely missing the creature as his eyes filled with blood.

OOC: Sternblade hits and kills with his first attack, but misses with his Cleave attack.

Stella winces in pain momentarily; she then takes aim at one of the creatures and lets loose a Scorching Ray. She watched the column of blue flame erupt from her hand and connect with the target monster.

OOC

Hit: 19

Damage: 2+1+6+1=10

Roll

As Damios's arrow flies through a group of the creatures without causing any harm, the still flying group dives at the party again, cutting Sternblade again, and nicking Damios and Tamara. The civilians have picked up the pace considerably, though there are still a number remaining on the roof.

OOC: Sternblade takes 2 damage, Damios and Tamara each take 1.

Matthis stands tall and proud beside his fellow combatants trying to place himself between the spellcasters and bow users so that their foes would have to pass through him to get to them. While there, he tried his best to take a swing at any of the flying creatures that were nearby with his longsword. While doing so, he let his allies bask in his aura of courage, to bolster their morale as well as try to detect the evil in his foe.

Action: he attacks and tries to use Detect Evil if it's a free action.

Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3395162/ Attack/Crit/Damage = 14/Bleh/5

Matthis swings his sword toward one of the creatures darting about nearby, but only cleaves the air. He can sense significant malice from the creatures, but he senses little from anything else at the moment. The first cloud of creatures rises from the midst of the civilians, and flies to hover fifty or so feet from the ground, circling. Some of you can make out similar looking clouds in the distance, and you see more creatures winging your way.

OOC: Miss, and Detect Evil is a Standard Action, but since it's At Will and could be always on, I'll let it slide.

OOC: BTW, that was me skipping Wen and Rapier's turns and doing the enemies turn, we're back to the start of initiative sorry if it was unclear.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

My bad! Been taking way too long.

Dwayne lets loose one more arrow before jumping off the roof and tumbling to the ground.

[spoiler=rolls]Attack Roll = (1d20)+8: 5,+8 Total: 13

Tumble Roll = (1d20)+10: 6,+10 Total: 16

He then hops to his feet and gravely addresses the band.

"Not to doubt any one of you, but this swarm might not be the last we meet tonight; I worry that this flock will hold us here long enough for many more to join them. Myself, I know nowhere in these streets where they won't follow- I would run, if there were no bystanders, but here and now I would seek shelter, and quickly. Your thoughts?"

(OOC: this might be a lot to pack into one ~6-second turn, maybe it could be spread out if necessary?)

Edited by Rehab

Perhaps in his haste to leave the roof Dwayne's aim was affected, as the arrow fails to make contact with any of the creatures. As he hits the ground violently, Dwayne's body goes into a roll which he manages to stand from with little trouble.

OOC: Talking is a free action, and since it would be a lot of trouble to stretch over a bunch of stuff it's fine to do it all at once. You'd imagine it probably stretches a little bit on either end, but it's fine as an abstraction, so don't worry.

Rine tries to get out of the roof, seeing that the enemies would get to him anyway since they could fly. It was a stupid idea to remain in the roof, and throwing the stairs so that the creatures wouldn't follow him only seemed to be a good plan before the present events.

Instead of jumping heroically, the mage decides to climb down the stairs.

Rine descends the side of the building carefully, nearly slipping at some points, but managing to clamber down.

Sternblade, still gripped by rage, swings his blade at a cluster of the creatures, slicing through one of them, but failing to hit even a single other creature.

OOC:

Rapier, there were no stairs, so I had Rine climb down. Also, Nightmarre is on vacation so I'll run Sternblade, he hit one creature and killed it, but got a natural 1 on the cleave hit.

Stella saw an open door nearby. "Get in there for the time being!"

She then raised her hand, and cast Magic Missile. Two blue bolts of energy shot out from her hand, bound for different targets.

1d4+1 → [1,1] = (2)

1d4+1 → [3,1] = (4)