Uncaring Night

Defeatist Elitist

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His successful strike galvanised the paladin to attack with greater vigor, again bringing both the warhammer and shield crashing down on his foe, all the while praying hard he did not miss his mark.

4+3 = 7(total warhammer attack roll)

10+3 = 13(Total Shield attack roll)

2+2= 4(Warhammer damage roll)

2+1= 3(Shield bash damage roll)

Again the Paladin swings his warhammer, this time with it wizzing past the head of a nearby zombie. Using the miss as a distraction, Matthis rams his shield bodily into the creature, sending it back a step, but keeping it standing.

Stella flashed another look toward the door. They're all inside safely... now it's our turn.

Stella moved the flaming sphere toward a group of zombies blocking the way toward the door.

Damage roll: 2d6>1+3=4

Dwayne stalks through the battlefield, trying to keep an even distance between him and the creatures, on all sides. Seeing Matthis engaged with one, he stops and draws an arrow back, releasing when he sees it pushed back.

Hit Roll (1d8) + 6 + 1: 7 + 6 + 1 = 14

Damage Roll(?) (1d8) + 1: 4 + 1 = 5

Stella's ball of flame sweeps around, scorching a nearby creature, while Dwayne takes the opportunity opened by Matthis' attack to fire an arrow, dropping the target. The last of the civilians is safely through the door, and the creatures shamble forward, swinging wildly, but somehow none of them manage to land a hit.

OOC: Remember Rehab, hit rolls use 1d20.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

Without a word, Matthis backed away from the shambling crowd to regroup with his comrades. There was no reason to keep fighting the abominations, to end the tides of evil. It was to root out the cause and vanquish it, or at least that was how his mentor taught him.

It's time to go. The civilians are safely inside, and our work here is done. Stella dashed for the door, running for dear life. Meanwhile, her Flaming Sphere torched one last enemy until it expired.

Final Round

Damage: 2d6→[2,1]=(3)

(I'm sorry about that, shouldn't] happen again)

"Job well done!"

Dwayne breathes out in relief, then runs for the door. Just before the door, he turns and fires one last shot. He spits into the dark, then brings in the rear.

Hit Roll: (1d20) + 6 + 1 = 4 + 7 = 11

Damage(?) Roll: (1d8) + 1 = 6 + 1 = 7

Edited by Rehab

As Dwayne steps inside, slamming the door behind him, they group finds a poorly armored man standing near the entrance with a torch in one hand and a short sword in the other.

"So it was true hey? You'll never believe this, but a bird told me you were coming, though I wasn't sure of it myself, since it seemed like the type of trick you'd expect on a night like this," he says before stopping himself, "So,uh, what's happening out there?"

"That... that was my familiar... Zombies suddenly appeared outside the city walls... and we fled to the city center to find refuge..."

"And vve've found nothing but packs of them everyvvhere, not counting the untold svvarms of monstrous and angry bats. That might've seemed like a lot of people coming through just novv, but they- uh, vve, all gathered together at once to look for shelter, didn't find anyone vvith a soul the vvhole trek here from the outskirts of tovvn. VVould it be too much to hope that you've seen anything like this before?"

Dvvayne takes a breath.

"Or that vve'll at least be safe here?"

"Well the gates have held thus far, so we might be safe here, but I can't honestly tell you. I've never seen anything this bad in my life, I don't know how many people must have died here. I mean, we've recieved parties like yours, but the number of people who've come in is such a tiny fraction of the number of people living in the outer city, we can't have had more than two hundred people arrive, this is insane," says the man, the pitch of his voice rising, "Look I don't even know what's happening here, I'm going to take you too our captain."

The man leads you up the battlements and up to a grey haired man in battered armor, and recounts what you had told him.

"I'm Captain Ferrick, currently in charge of our city's militia, such as it is," says the captain, "None of us have any idea what's happening, or even what's coming, and to be honest most of us haven't a clue how to handle ourselves in a fight really. It might be a lot to ask, but since it seems you all can take care of more than just yourselves, I'd like to request your assistance. We might not need it, but I'm sure my men would feel a lot better if we had a few seasoned fighters standing by, just in case things do get worse. I know I would."

Sternblade slams his fist against the palm of his hand, his muscles tensing up.

"By Crom, I shall fight these horrors and get rid of them, however long it takes! You can count on my muscles, they will never give in."

Edited by Nightmare

"I'm glad," says Ferrick, "But I'm afraid we don't have anything on hand as far as your magic goes, nor do any of us understand it. I suppose you could sleep and we could retrieve you if something occurs, but I'm not sure how helpful a couple of hours of rest would be to you. If you need a crossbow or something, I'm sure we could provide, and there might be a shop or two down in the city that has something useful in it, but I can't say for certain."

"Oh... I can look for a wand in the city, if I may have your leave. ...I promise I'll be back as soon as possible..."

Dwayne looks at Stella, scratching his chin and frowning faintly as he turns to the captain.

"Well, I understand how you must need help, Captain, but I'm trained, er, experienced more as a hunter or scout than a soldier. And speaking for myself, I'm probably only any better in a fight than your average guard thanks to a lot of practice with a bow, if that- hardly a first pick for the last line of defense. I could stay here and help, certainly if you're besieged prematurely, but I admit I do feel a nagging temptation to try to track the source of these monsters, or explore the city."

Dwayne's stance and expression soften.

"I never did get to tour much of your city, no doubt fine as it is, and was. Miss witch, would you have me along?"

Edited by Rehab

Stella and Dwayne set off further into the city, and find there way quickly to the primary merchant district. Very few shops are inhabited whatsoever, but it would seem a few shopowners, awakened by the commotion, are searching their shops for anything that would help in the defense of the town. After asking around for a minute or two, the pair find their way to a storefront. Peering inside, they see a man rushing about with scrolls tucked under one arm, grabbing merchandise. After a bit of asking, he agrees to give Stella a number of scrolls, and one of his remaining wands, in exchange for a favor he might need if things clear up a little.

You can accept his offer, or you can try looking a little deeper.

OOC: If you want to look for someone else, gimme a Gather Information check, otherwise the items are a Scroll of Acid Arrow, a Scroll of Blur, a Scroll of Mage Armor, and a Wand of Magic Missile (1st level) with ten charges left.

"Hm, that won't do... Thanks, but I'll look somewhere else, sorry..."

Streetwise roll

1d20-1-1=14-2=12

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

Shoot... we've already spent too much time away from the front lines... let's look in this store here, it has some nice-looking wands... Wait, I think I know this man, Vansterike sent me to his place to do errands several times!

"...Hi... I'm Stella, Vansterike's former apprentice... the city's beleaguered by zombies, and we need all the help we can get... could I have a wand or two? I'll pay you later..."

Diplomacy roll: 1d20-1=20-1=19

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter