Return of the Emblem Chapter Eight: Affairs of the World

Phoenix

As Bert lumbered forwards, he pulled back his poleaxe for a wide, horizontal swing. As quickly as she could Robin sprung backwards as the poleaxe cut through the air. She was ready, this time, for the assault. Her feet touched the ground behind her as she came down, already readying a second arrow to strike at Bert. She raised it up as she targeted again, this time aiming for his shoulder, trying to disable his ability to strike at her. She was hoping that she could put the man out of the fight without a serious wound at the least... Arrows weren't exactly designed for dueling after all, even with her modifications. In fact, she was slightly surprised at the fact that she had not missed so far on her targets considering her altered arrows.

Robin attack: 2, 1, 3http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3383181/ Hit for 4 damage!

Robin HP: 12/12

Bert HP: 2/15

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rasha

"Hm? Are you planning to go there on your own? Well on the western wall there is a large building surrounded by a dozen other smaller buildings. They stand out pretty well. The armory is in one of the buildings, but you'll have to ask someone there for more specific directions from there." Rasha replied.

Norbert flinched as the arrow hit his shoulder at close range. Ow. Nothing I can't take, but this is getting a bit annoying. If these were sharp, I probably wouldn't be doing so well. He lunged and swung diagnally down at Robin.

(4+4)-9 = miss

"Blast it!" he shouted in frustration as she avoided his swing again. This time, though, he made another lunge and swung the axe back upward, this time causing the axe to travel from Robin's left up to her right as opposed to his last diagnal angle. He flinched at putting most of his weight on his somewhat-injurred knee, though.

(4+1)-9= miss

That particular stroke was particularly pathetic as he stumbled a little with the lunge and quickly compensated to a weaker stance to save his knee the trouble of supporting 90% of his weight.

As Bert approached her again, Robin readied herself for a quick evasive maneuver. If he came down with a overhead strike, she would roll to the side. If he tried to swing at her horizontally, she would jump back again and keep low. She had it all figured out! She was getting better at this 'physical dodging' it seemed! But as she saw him approach her again to swing, he raised his weapon up for a diagonal blow. A terrified look came over Robin. What was she going to do? Roll? Leap back? What would... Too late! He was already swinging!

Robin reacted on pure reflex as she sprung down in the direction he was swinging from, sliding under the axe head by sheer luck. As she hit the dirt, Bert was already on the second strike. Just as he started to swing though he seemed to place too much weight on the knee that she had struck earlier. Robin didn't waste her luck as his aim went askew and quickly rushed to his side, pulling out one last arrow and knocking it to her bow before aiming right at his neck!

"You lose." she said, breathing heavily from the fighting as she tapped his body with the tip. She smiled as she released the tension before extending her hand. "You fought well though. I was scared you would have me! That was a good fight... Bert."

Does it matter? Robin can't miss and deals at least 3 damage.

Robin: HP: 12/12

Bert: 0 (2)/15

As soon as he felt the arrow tip at his neck, Norbert froze. The arrow was nocked and if it had been released and had an arrowhead on it, his neck would have a gaping hole in it. Yep. There was no denying it. Norbert sighed as he relaxed his stance and leaned on his poleaxe again with a gusty sigh. "Thanks. That was tough. If you keep practicing those dodges, no one will be able to touch you. I sure tried, but I couldn't get a good strike in..." He was a little tired now. I'll have to work on hitting my targets and improving my strength.

After his brief reprieve, Norbert straightened up and rested his poleaxe on his shoulder again. "I don't know about anyone else outside the guest quarters so I doubt I'll be able to let anyone know about it if you're going there to tell them," he told Rasha. To John, Blake and Robin, he asked, "Do you want to stop or take a break from the sparring to take a look at this armory?" He had a feeling at least John did. If no one wanted to keep practicing together for the day, Norbert would just go along with it, take a look at the armory and practice on his own later.

"And miss out on the chance to beat you up again?" asked Robin with a small grin, clearly feeling a bit happier about her victory than she should be. "Alright. I think I am done anyways. It took a lot of energy to dodge your blows and I think I have pushed my luck to the limit. Besides, you said you would come with me to find a iron knife, and I do not want to ignore that promise either."

Mireille took a scoop of the steaming stuff. The vapour seemed to make her eyes tear slightly and the pressure she felt with extra eyes watching her as she attempted to summon the courage to eat her meal beat down at her willpower. This is for the experience! As a writer, one must know what things feel like to better describe the atmosphere! I am a knight, I should fear nothing!

As the dangerous substance closed in on her dainty maw, her hand shuddered as a thought suddenly flashed into her mind. "Wait, where's my order of the juice that induced positivity?"

Grabbing hold onto it with one of her free hand, Mireille raised it in the manner of someone giving a toast. Then with a swift motion, she thrust the spoon into her mouth...

Ranyin snapped his tome shut immediately when he heard a resounding, "Aieeeeeeeeee!!!" and the sound of breaking bowls. By the five dragons...what happened?

Standing up, Ranyin watched as an Ursian knight in white armour trashed about the place, holding back...something apparently. an empty glass of milk appeared to have been tipped over and then the knight screamed out, "I will ENDURE!!! FATHER! I AM YOUR DAUGHTERRRRR!!!"

Not wanting to get involved but still fascinated by the whole thing, Ranyin just stood where he was as a sense of guilt crept up to him. Well, what can I do?

''Thanks.'' John said. It seemed Bert and Robin were now dueling, though regarding him, he was done for now. And soon that ended as well.

Well, at least it is over. Sophia sighed. Good thing her worries were proved wrong. Now it looked like they were planning on going to this armory. Well, that would mean more waiting, but on the other hand, they'd have to travel through the city anyway. I guess I can go with them for the time being. She figured.

''Yeah, I plan to go to the armory right now.'' John answered to Bert's question. ''Though, I don't plan to go back to sparring afterwards. I already have plans for today.''

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Gytha looked up immediately when the Ursian knight started her commotion. "By Leviathan!" she exclaimed as her eyes darted over to the source. She couldn't relly do anything but stare and wonder if she was okay. Was she going through some sort of self-imposed ritual or something?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hearing Robin's reply, Norbert began to get a sinking feeling that something was amiss regarding her. He wasn't bothered by the fact that she obviously enjoyed her victory, but rather that she felt the need to remind him of that "promise." Was it a promise? Did I say "promise?" Didn't I just say she could come along when Valter and I explored the city? No, it wasn't even that. It was something else about her wording. He couldn't quite tell what it was, but something about the way she brought it up brought up that warning feeling that something wasn't right -- that some sort of danger was close at hand.

For now, he pushed the forboding feeling to the back of his mind to focus on the present. John and Robin were done for the day, it sounded like. He figured Sophia never planned to spar to begin with. So, there was only one left to hear from. "What about, you, Blake?"

"Is it really that spicy? That almost makes me wanna try some of that... Hahaha!" So enthused was Aneda that she was leaning on the table, staring at Mireille's outburst in amusement, tempted to try out the spiciness of the dish. "Think I should try that?" she asked no one in particular, but deep down she was asking to be dared.

Mireille gripped the table hard as she pulled herself firmly to sit still. She felt ashamed at her outburst...but she had not been expecting the spiciest to be...so potent. Calming down with tears in her eyes, Mireille said, "Nah...I think it's not that spicy. I was just weak. But I shall overcome it the way I was taught to overcome pain." Through constant exposure.

Grabbing the bowl, Mireille started scooping up the contents and gulping them down as fast as she could. She had already gotten the first hand experience of how strong it was, hence she was now prepared, knowing fully what to expect. She had in the span of a few moments mentally prepared herself to endure the fiery nature of her breakfast the way true knights braced themselves to take a powerful blow to their shield. With these factors in place, she felt that she could finish the meal.

She was wrong.

Edited by Rothene

With nothing more to do here for the time being, it was time to get moving. John started to head towards Gil...

''So, you're going to the armory, right?''

Hm? Stopping at the sound, he turned to see it was Sophia. <Oh, that's right.>

''Ah, yes.'' He answered. ''And it looks like the others are planning to as well.''

''That's fine, I want to go too.'' She said.

''To the armory?'' <Why would she... oh, I get it.> ''Ah, okay. See ya then.'' And so he resumed walking back to Gil...

''Wait.''

And once more he stopped. It was Sophia again. ''What is it?''

''If you don't mind, can I go with you?'' She asked. ''I'd like to see Sanctuary from the air.''

''Sure, let's go then.'' And so the now two went back to... well, you know already.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Rasha's Generic Task

Having informed the sparring folk about the arrangement at the armory, Rasha headed for the guest quarters. Since she had found several outside already, she didn't doubt she would see even more missing from the group on arrival. Still, spreading the message would ensure the overwhelming majority would get the information. Once she reached the guest quarters she began telling everyone she came across about the armory arrangement and then went on her way.

Edited by Phoenix

John was one hell of a wall. First Robin, and then Bert tried to pierce his armor, without any results to show. Amazing. The swordsman doubted that he could even breach that mail. To say the least, the wyvern rider won both of his battles, after which Robin challenged the good pegasus to a match. Robin won, which technically meant that Blake was the loser of the bouts, but before that could be directly addressed, a maiden interrupted to say that they were allowed to go visit the Rexian armory. Almost immediately, John and Robin bowed out, the former for the armory, the latter because she was exhausted. That left him, with his destroyed threads, as practice against Bert. That was not happening, to say the least.

"I'm going to look at the armory," Blake said, as he rolled his torn cape up. "Maybe later. Besides, you do have your promise to the lady." With that said, he left the courtyard, and began to wander his way to the armory. Hopefully he could find some alternative to his armor and his cape, which were getting to be a bit cumbersome.

"Lady?" Far from it. Norbert thought to himself at Blake's reply. Well, it seemed like everyone was off to the armory. Already, John and Sophia were mounting Gil and Blake had begun his walk. The maiden left presumably to go tell the others. "You go on ahead. I'm going to go look for Valter and see if we can go into town right after looking around the armory. .. Hm. Maybe I'll take a quick bath, too," Norbert told Robin idley adding the last bit as he grimaced at his present form. So, he did just that, first stopping by his and Valter's room -- the horseman as apparently up and about seeing as he wasn't in there -- then grabbing his clothes, which were apparently left there after he'd gone looking for Blake. A quick bath later and he was heading for the stables with his things. He'd decided on taking Rizen with him to the armory and so geared the content pegasus up and rode her out. Valter was probably already at the armory, seeing as Phyllis wasn't in her stall. Sure enough, when Norbert got there, Valter was already almost there. After a quick chat, Valter agreed to Robin coming along when they went through Sanctuary after they were done looking around the armory. So, Norbert and Valter finished the journey to the armory.

The two split off when they arrived. Some others were already there, not surprisingly. Now, Norbert was basicly just leading Rizen along. He saw Raquel and Veronika with a Rexian, looking over some lists or something. He figured they were just handling merchant things. It was odd. He'd never really observed much more of the merchant trade other than when he planned on buying from one. His attention shifted over to a display of axes, though. They looked different from Ursian ones, though he supposed that should be expected since they were made by an entirely different people. His poleaxe was the sort that the Ursian military used.

Valter bought it for me. he recalled with a slight frown. I should see how much I've earned from Raquel so far when she's not busy. Though I don't think I should get any more weapons. Splinter and Crunch are reliable and I have my hands full with learning to use my new poleaxe already. Norbert's eyes slipped from the axe display as he wandered liesurely into the next room. The focus of this room shifted from offense to defense, apparently, as various sets of armor were on display and shields were stacked against or mounted on the walls. It was just as impressive as the weapons room he'd just left. Huh. I didn't even think about this... I have my axe and my maces, so I'm fine as far as weapons go. Memories of being wacked, slashed, shot and stabbed quickly flashed across his mind, prompting a grimace. Yeah... I should think about some armor for myself. Rizen's fine since she has at least leather armor, but I keep getting hurt... He also recalled how no one could land a mark on John durring the sparring matches and nodded to himself. Yeah, I've been postponing getting myself some armor for long enough. His frown deeped slightly. But I don't have any money. Might as well get an idea of what to look for, at least.

So, he began perusing the various sets of armor. It has to be light. I don't want to strain Riz's wings with heavy armor. Maybe I can get heavier armor once she's used to carrying around some lighter armor, but it wouldn't be good to start off that way... It has to fit me, too, and protect me decently. Some armor is better than none, so maybe I'll just start out with some leather armor. It'll at least give me some protection... Maybe something light for my head, too. I don't want a full helmet, though... Maybe a forehead guard or something... If I can ever afford it, maybe some fingerless gloves, a chest piece of some sort, the forehead protection... Should I think about shoulder guards of some sort? He began to piece together what he was looking for as he looked at the examples before him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gytha had gone to the armory when she'd heard about it. Synthia had take the news surprisingly well and now Gytha just needed a diversion till noon. The armory was pretty neat. She wound up looking at their various stules of firearms, which were similar to her pistol. She was already stocked fairly well with rounds, so she simply began cleaning her pistol in the firearms section for now.

Nadya

After wandering around the market for a bit, Nadya saw some familiar group members and decided to follow them, for lack of anything better to do. They seemed to be browsing through the wares at some sort of armory.

Raquel must have made some kinda deal so we can have access to these wares...might as well take a look. Her attention was focused on the anima and light tomes, which she began browsing through. Now would be as good a time as any to buy, they're written in Rexian so I can actually read 'em. Maybe I should learn how to use some offensive magic, can't always rely on someone else jumpin' in the way.

Selene

"But how would we target their economy? If we could cut off their trade routes that would hinder them, but we would need to beat their navy somehow. It's the damn dragons that give them the edge, we really could use more slayer weapons to defeat them. Trouble is that Kigen is rather unwilling to trade them...they need them to fight off the Fallen I suppose," she said to Capaberra begrudgingly.

Edited by -Cynthia-

And so Gil took flight, being actually awake for a change. The trip to the armory was silent, as each was in their own thoughts.

<Well, if those sparring matches showed, I was quite slow to block their attacks, final effectiveness aside.> John thought. <Maybe I can find something in there to help solve that a bit.>

Incredible, it is much better to see it from the air. Sophia thought, amazed. Too bad we have to stop at that armory, but afterwards...

Soon enough they reached the area told by Rasha and Gil landed nearby. After asking around which building was the armory, they headed inside.

The place was certainly different from Ursentius's southern fort. Not so only the appearance of the place, the equipment was likewise, considering this was a whole different country. As expected, Raquel was there, accompanied by Veronika as they talked with whom appeared to be in charge of the place.

John went over through the weapons, specifically the spears. <Let's see, I think I'm fine armor and shield wise, but not a very good use I've given my lance, despite it's defensive purposes.> He thought. <Hopefully they also have them in use here and get a better one.>

Sophia had just idly stood by the entrance at first. Eventually though, she glanced over, where some tomes and staffs were. I wonder... She walked over. I think I'm already fine with my current staff but...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

As he looked through the various sets of leather armor, one caught his attention: it was a padded, leather jerkin with sections of leather elongating it. With it was a pair of matching, long, fingerless, leather gloves. It laced up the front and impressed in the leather of the jerkin was a simple pattern. It sort of looks like the outline of pegasus wings. Norbert observed. Oh right, I forgot they have pegasi here, too. Well, this meets a lot of my requirements. It looks good, too. Heh, it's even black. It isn't a whole lot, so it probably doesn't cost much either so I might even be able to afford this. I can get a forehead guard later. This will do for now if I can actually afford it. With those gloves I won't have to keep wrapping my heands either.

The more he thought about it, the more he liked the simple jerkin and gloves. The pegasus rider twisted around to look to see if Raquel and the Rexian were done with their merchant stuff yet. I have to check with Raquel to see how much money I earned so far and have to check on this set's price... So I guess I have to talk to them both anyway. Not sure if I should interrupt or not, though. After deliberating over it for a moment, he decided to just head over and stand by. If they weren't particularly busy, they'd probably notice him and if they were, he'd just wait until they weren't. So, he walked back into the weapons room and leaned against Riz to wait.

After browsing for a short while, John finally found what he was looking for. Slightly different of course, but the overall design was still there. <Ah, here they are.> He thought, looking at them. <Let's see...> After looking at them, he finally grabbed one. Hm... He put his and that lance side by side and eyed them. <This one certainly looks like it could do a better job than mine.> He noted. <Well, that's decided, I'm switching.> He glanced over, Raquel was still busy it seems, so he decided to wait it out, leaning against a wall.

Soon enough he noticed Bert entering the area.

''Hey.'' He called out. ''Found something to buy?'' He asked. Might as well make small talk while waiting.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Hm? Norbert looked over as he was adressed. It was John. "Maybe. Depends on if I've earned enough for it or not. If I haven't, then I'll just keep in mind what sort of armor I'm looking for until I can afford some," Norbert replied before adding with a light laugh, "If I'm still alive by then. So, what about you? Were you thinking about buying something?"

''Pretty much.'' John answered, raising the Rexian lance to view. ''After the sparring, I thought I could use something better than what I currently have. So here it is.''

The lance John displayed for Norbert was certainly Rexian in design. "I'm not a lance expert, so I can't see how it's any better than your old one," remarked the pegasus rider, inviting John to explain his selection.

Raquel

Hmm ... Raquel continued to go down the list, trying to prioritize what she could both afford, and what was actually 'new'. Sadly even rexian designs had enough similarities to northern weapons to have virtually identical performance. Different or fancy names wouldn't hide that fact. Oh what are these? She finally began finding some special looking items on the inventory list and began making a mental note of them. She noticed Bert, though Paz kept going through her inventory, not seeming to care since his attention wasn't demanded. Raquel on the other hand stopped what she was doing. "What is it, Bert? Did you find something we could use?"

Capaberra

"I imagine they would gladly part with a few thousand slayer blades if we 'contributed' to their war against the fallen. As much as I would like to destroy such evil beings, we cannot afford to spread our armies so thinly. It's a shame but we all seem to have our hands tied. As for targeting their economy ... I imagine that would take a combination of things; taking trade routes, sabotaging various bits of industry, and perhaps a bit of paranoia to persuade the emperor or the conclave to waste precious war funds on the 'needless'. If done properly and while those eastern rebels are kicking up a storm, that could choke the fleet of its funding. It's all rather speculative, though. Most Ursians would prefer a straight fight, but unless the channels dry up, I don't see us in a ground war in Neviskotia anytime soon."

He'd only just made his reply when Raquel spoke up, adressing him. "Something we can use"? I guess she was looking at an inventory list or something. Norbert decided before replyed, "Maybe? I wasn't really looking for" What would the right word be here? "stock. I did find something that would be useful to me, though, and was wondering how much I've earned so far as one of your mercenaries." He wasn't expecting much, having figured he'd worked off the debt only when he'd gained Splinter and Crunch back and that hadn't been very long ago.

<The same? Heh, I'd say it's not the lances themselves, but their designs. But I guess he wouldn't be able to tell.> John thought.

But nevermind that, Raquel's attention was now directed in their general direction, might as well take the chance.

''I'd say the same.'' He spoke up. ''Found something I can give good use. But I can't speak for the rest of us so who knows about stocking up. So might as well, I'd like to make the purchase of it now.''