Return of the Emblem Chapter Eight: Affairs of the World

Phoenix

The Rexian commander swiftly and efficiently cut Robin down by the knees, while simultaneously berating Raquel for her failings in leadership. If the term could be properly applied to her. She was the main employer, but from what he had seen, her actual leading left something to be desired for. Regardless, the superior left the scene of the spat, along with a now crestfallen merchant, who instead of saying anything to try to protest the Rexian's charges, went to make sure Bert was not severely injured by the discipline. Robin then apparently decided to make it her responsibility to give the guilty parties hell for provoking the Rexians. In public, with said Rexians nearby. Yeah, not the time.

"Alright, nothing to see here, folks. Move along," Blake said hurriedly, to the various members of the group who were present. "We can deal with the discipline issue later. For now, just go retrieve your belongings and return to the wagon." After he said this, the sell sword moved over to the general area where Bert was lying, and, staying well out of range of the pegasus, said, "Can you walk? Nod if you're still having trouble trying to speak."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veronika

The commander arrived and seemed to settle matters, punching both Bert and the red-haired Rexian. Looks rather painful, but this might make Bert less likely to have such outbursts in the future. The commander didn't seem to think much of Raquel's leadership either...perhaps he had a point. The group had an utter lack of discipline, if these Rexians were even slightly less forgiving we could all be dead right now.

"Let's resupply and get out of here. It's pretty clear we're no longer welcome," Veronika said, echoing Blake's sentiments as she headed back towards the palace, shaking Chelsea off of her unceremoniously.

Nadya

The incident appeared to be over, with both the angry Rexian and Bert receiving punches from the commander. Eh, they probably deserved it Nadya said, briefly considering healing Bert before deciding against it. She decided to make her way back to the palace separate from the group, since they seemed to be prone to attracting trouble.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Stuff

"She's going to find out one way or another." Haythem shrugged. "She may as well hear it from us. Amon, are you ready to go?"

"... I guess so." he replied in a quiet voice.

"Ohhhh right, we should probably pick up Malik. Come on, help me out. Oh and Fizza, I need Amon's knife back, by the way."

"Oh fine. Didn't even get to stab anyone ...." she replied, feigning protest ... or at least it seemed feigned. Either way, she handed him the knife, which he handed to Amon, who quickly sheathed in so that he would have both hands free. He and Haythem came over to where Malik was and knelt down to see if he was fit to move. He was sitting up and no longer curled up on the ground, but still had a terribly pained look on his face.

"My father packs quite a punch, huh?"

"Just ... help me up ... please." he struggled to get out.

"Okay, Amon, let's do this." The two rexians each took an arm and helped Malik up. From there they led him over to Isis and Fizza and helped him onboard. Fizza went up next, then Haythem. Lastly Amon climbed up.

Around the same time, Raquel had somewhat understood Rizen's hint and continued to approach until she was right next to Bert. Kneeling down, she asked "Are you going to be okay?" With Blake there too, she at least knew she wouldn't have to strain herself helping him up. Robin's outburst somewhat drove the Commander's point home for her. She just wasn't the type to go around making demands, even to 'employees',though in all fairness, they were armed to the teeth, aggressive at times, and had a knack for surviving in the worst scenarios imaginable. She was just a fresh arms dealer with a few magic tricks. "I should go get the wagon so we can make the exchanges. I was on my way when ... this happened." she added, aiming the statement mostly at Veronika and Robin.

"Hope ye have a good meetin'," Gytha farewelled. In spite of her smile, she was obviously worried. Hope we see each other again... I'd hate t' have t' leave without bein' able t' say "goodbye."

Norbert's breathing was almost to normal by the time Blake and Raquel asked him if he was alright. His breaths were shallow, though, since his abdomen still felt terribly bruised. "I've had worse," he managed to half-cough, half-grunt. Though it was true (not much could beat being partially turned to stone) that by no means made the experience less painful. The rider pushed himself up enough to wrap his arm around Rizen's neck and grab onto her mane with the hand that had just been hanging off of her bridle. The pegasus then slowly raised her head, helping to pull Norbert to his feet, as he was struggling as it was, even with her help and by the time he was standing up again, he still leaned heavily on Riz's neck while his free arm remained over his stomach.

That was when he realized something. "Heh heh..." he could only get that much out before he flinched. It hurt too much to laugh. He could still smile, though. "This is why I prefer blunt weapons: it's the impact that does the damage," he mentioned, trying not to laugh at the irony if only for the sake of his stomach.

With a somewhat painful, deep breath, he chased away the humor and returned his attention to more serious matters. He kept his eyes down as he spoke, though it was only partially due to the pain. "I'm sorry, Raquel. I endangered all of us and I'm not just talking about the Rexians wanting to kill us before Haythem stepped in," he began to appologize, pausing to rest for a moment, then continuing, "I was hired to protect you, but I'm afraid I just put you in danger. ... I don't know what Aisha is going to do now. She might just demand your emblem now. ... I let my anger get the better of me again. I should have just walked away and kept my mouth shut. ... I'm sorry." I should never have joined them. I should have known something like this would happen with my temper. I sure am lousy at this whole "community" thing. Guess that'll never change.

Well, now that everything was said and done...

<So much for our trip here.> John thought. <Even if it wasn't for long, this is still not a good impression to left behind. Now if only they could take into account not all of us are like them, but I guess it's too late for that. At least when it comes to that guy.>

I guess that's farewell to sight-seeing now. Sophia sighed. It was probably the opportunity of a life-time they being here, and now it was ruined. Well, at least they could say they were there. Still, she wanted to be sure, so she approached John.

''So um... what are we going to do now?'' She asked.

''Hm? Well, I guess we just have to head back with the others. I don't think it's wise to wander off now. Words of this can easily spread after all.''

I knew it. She thought. ''So it's back to the palace now?''

''I guess, but first let me check something out.'' After that, he walked over towards Raquel. ''So, what's the plan now? Head back to the wagon to prepare for departure now?'' He asked her.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

"Bert... Thank you for apologizing to Raquel, but we have to work to ensure this does not happen again." said Robin as she mentally removed him from the 'do not chew out' list for this incident. "If Raquel decides that we are leaving, we need to get ready and go, and I do not want any of you starting any more trouble."

When did she get here? Norbert wondered, just noticing Robin. It was probably when he was curled up trying to regain his breath or something since it was hard to be aware of anything not close-by durring that time. Already, he could feel his temper rising again, albeit a far more harmless version of his usual irritation. He wanted to ask Robin what gave her the right to tell the rest what to do and why she was repremanding them when they hadn't caused any trouble (except maybe Gytha) but he didn't feel he was able to put much emphasis on his points in his current state. Acting like a superior when you're not even the leader... he mentally grumbled to himself about Robin.

"I don't think we're leaving yet anyway," he managed to Robin before pausing to rest a bit, then continuing "I still have something I need to do." So, with that, he began to contemplate how he was going to get to the armory. He didn't want to ride Rizen for a couple reasons. First, it took the core muscles to stay balanced while in the saddle and second, mounting the pegasus would be a pain. Litterally. So, he kept his arm around the pegasus' neck and, continuing to use her for support, began walking the rest of the way towards the armory.

Raquel

"We may not be welcome here, but I do still have to make the exchanges with Paz. I have to go bring the wagon back here." Raquel explained to those nearby. With Bert coming up with Rizen's help, Raquel stood up herself, and looked out at the city, seeing the palace in the distance. It was going to be a long walk back, and then she had to prepare Sandrock and Riley to haul the Dauntless down to the armory, make the exchanges, come up with a final decision regarding the fire emblem, and then leave ... and go right back out into that awful desert with no less than fifty miles separating them from the nearest semblance of civilization. She had been kidnapped recently and even this was now competing for 'worst day ever'.

Rexians

Well ... they left. The guards too.

Well, with the guards leaving, hopefully further troubles won't happen. <To the palace and back huh.> John thought. <I guess at this point it doesn't matter.> ''Well, hope you don't mind me tagging along.'' He said. ''After this I don't think we should spread ourselves too thin.'' He shrugged, and headed back.

''Well, Raquel is going back to the palace, but will come back here too.'' He told Sophia once he had come near. ''I'm planning on doing the same, if only to be on the safe side. What are you gonna do?''

''Back here? Well,'' She answered. ''I'd rather not wait here. I'm going too.''

''Alright then, now if you excuse me.'' With that, he walked away. He had a wyvern to wake up after all.

Robin sighed as she looked over the group. "Just please do not get into any more trouble while Raquel gets ready to leave. I do not want any of you to end up impaled on a spear, even you Gytha, and... just... do not do anything."

With that, Robin turned to head back with Raquel. She wasn't sure what she should do. Should she talk to Raquel about her problem, possibly overburderning the girl, or...

"I am sorry Raquel. You should not have to put up with this. I know I can not do much, but... I am sorry for even thinking about leaving you just now."

Raquel

"You were thinking about leaving?" Raquel asked, as they began the long walk back to the palace. Come to think about it, with everything that's happened, I'm surprised more of us haven't turned tail and run. I mean we were brought to a place that's ... mythical at best. I didn't think a place like that really existed. Then there were flying coffins and that guy with the scythe? What are we up against?

"Not... Not like that. I am feeling pointless, useless, outcast as it were. My only reason for being here right now is you and if, for some reason, my decision to protect you was ever annulled, I would have no reason to stay. I do not have many friends, I have probably fought with everyone here at least once, I do not have a personal claim or stake in your goal, I do not even know what your goal is."

She put her hands on Raquel's shoulders as she turned the girl to face her.

"I do not care though. I gave my promise and I give you my respect. I will not leave you. I may bark for home, but I will stay at your side still."

Gytha had nothing better to do, so she headed off for the palace, too, still a bit worried about what would happen when they left. Or, more accurately, what might not happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Norbert, meanwhile, eventually found himself in the armory again. I sure hope word hasn't gotten here. It probably has, given how close-by it was, not to mention this is their armory. The merchant seemed to be waiting, probably for Raquel's return. Norbert stood up as straight as he could, doing his best to pretend like nothing was wrong. "I got the gold. When do you think my armor will be ready?" he asked, keeping himself as casual as he could muster. MERZ standing up on my own is KILLING my stomach!! Agh, hurry up and answer!! His face betrayed none of his internal agonizing.

John reached the still sleeping Gil. Typical waking up routine with an exchange of talking and grunting. But anyway, they were soon up in the air, with Gil slowly flying overhead the rest who were walking. <Hopefully our journey back through the desert will be more enjoyable.> He thought. <At the very least, we hopefully won't have to worry about supplies running low this time around.>

-----

Sophia, meanwhile, decided to walk with the others.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Raquel

Raquel blushed when Robin took her by the shoulders, not sure quite why Robin was so adamant about helping her. Admittedly her self esteem was six feet under, but still. "But why? I'm just a merchant ... and not a particularly good one, either. My goal here is to rescue my father but ... I also want to bring the people responsible to justice. If someone doesn't stop them, others are probably going to end up going through what I'm going through, right now." she explained, lowering her gaze. I hate them so much for what they did. The one person I care about more than anyone else and he was the one they took. Gods forbid they take anyone, but they had to take HIM. I want to say it's justice but I honestly just want to seem them rot in prison for the rest of their lives. she thought to herself, the anger steadily creeping into her expression.

Custom

"In a couple of hours or so. Given the commotion earlier." Paz began. "I doubt you people will be allowed to do business with us for very much longer. Since that is most likely the case, I instructed them to get to work on it immediately." Paz explained, sounding concerned at first, but then he smiled as he revealed that he had 'rushed' the order somewhat.

The Office

When Isis landed back on the palace grounds, Fizza was the first to hop down. Amon and Haythem got down and then helped the still injured Malik. Haythem then waved to the others as he took Isis by the reins. <"I'll catch up to you guys. Let Lulu know I'm just putting Isis in her room and giving her a treat."> Amon nodded and helped Malik walk while Fizza followed closely behind. She didn't know her way around so she had to follow.

Given the pace Amon was slowed to with Malik in the shape he was, Haythem managed to catch up before they actually set foot in the office. When they entered, they were all surprised to see Aisha herself gazing out a nearby window. Lulu and what could very well have been fifty members of senior staff were also present, with Lulu leaning back against the front of her desk with both arms crossed.

<"Welcome home."> Aisha greeted after glancing over her shoulder at them. She certainly seemed calmer than the rest of them. Amon bowed and consequently forced Malik to do the same since the man was being held up by him. Haythem bowed as well, but Fizza just stood where she was, not oblivious, but hoping the queen would understand. She was no Sancturan.

<"What took you so long, and what happened to Malik?"> Lulu inquired.

<"Well ..."> Haythem prepared to tell his tale a second time as the screen briefly faded to black to save time. By the time he had finished relaying the incident to her and the queen, she had her face buried in one hand. Aisha had turned to face them and also came a bit closer.

<"I feel like I should be surprised, but honestly, I'm not. Not after that woman tried to get herself killed on principle."> Lulu replied. <"Amon, how many other times have nearly been killed over their stupidity?">

<"That's not quite ... see, there are people constantly after Raquel, so you can't really blame anything that happens to me on them. Raquel is the most important person in the group, not me. I'm not much more than an extra blade."> Amon explained, trying not to get into too much detail about his more serious injuries in the past.

<"I ..."> Lulu cut herself off before she could finish. 'I don't approve.' That was obvious, and written all over her face, so she felt she didn't have to say it. She didn't much approve of Raquel or her allies in general. <"These people are just ... too much.">

<"I have a question for you, Amon."> Aisha chimed in, catching Lulu a little off guard. <"What's your opinion of this Raquel woman? Your personal assessment after traveling with her.">

<"My ... assessment? Well she's ..."> he paused trying to find some place to start. <"Well she's determined. Even though she's in over her head, she keeps going so she can rescue her father and put a stop to the people after her piece of the fire emblem. She's also pretty nice. She doesn't try to force people to do anything even though it would make her job of leading the group a lot easier."> he explained as various events came to mind. <"She doesn't trust easily, though. We didn't find out until just the other day that she actually knows some magic. She was hiding it the entire time."> he added, lowering his head a bit.

Aisha's head tilted just slightly as she began to grin. Lulu shot the rexian queen a concerned glance that went completely ignored. <"Thank you."> Aisha replied. <"I've made my decision.">

<"Decision?"> Lulu echoed.

<"I wanted Amon's opinion of her character ... so I could better decide how best to deal with her and her followers. I've made my decision.">

<"W-what are you going to do to them ...?"> Haythem asked, feeling fearful for them. They hadn't exactly given the queen much incentive not to merely take the emblem after all and Aisha was difficult to read at times.

<"That depends on Raquel. It will be her decision whether or not to assist me, and if she chooses not to, I've another course of action I'll be taking."> she explained, rather vaguely. No one was quite sure what to make of her words, just then.

"I'll just wait here for them to finish, then," Norbert replied, taking the excuse to lean against Rizen again. Able to breathe easier, he casually continued, "It sounds like we're going to be leaving soon. Just in case, here." Norbert handed the fourty gold to Paz. "If I've already paid for it, it should buy us some time so that you can get my items to me."

"Because I am Robin. I am a hunter, a skotian, and loyal. You saved my life and earned my respect. If your father has been stolen from you, I promise I will do my best to help you track him down. Still... What happened? How was he taken from you?"

Paz

"Mmm very well, then." Paz replied before he began counting and recounting the gold coming in. He even took a spot up against a wall to do so more comfortably.

Quel

"Well, he and I were attacked back in Ursium almost a month ago. That was the same day most of the group formed up. A man named Sardis and his partner Hayato took him, but the others managed to protect me. I still don't know where he is or what they've done to him." she explained.

"Sardis? I have not heard of him, but that is hardly unusual. Still... I do not know what I can do, but if I can do anything to help, just ask. A father is something special and I think I understand how important he was to you."

Raquel

"He'll always be important to me. I'm going to find him ... eventually, and I'm going to make sure they don't get away with everything they've done." Raquel replied. She then noticed the palace was getting rather close. Her 'to do' list quickly flooded her thoughts and she began going over everything she would be doing before heading back to the armory in her head. Check on the horses, feed and clean them if they hadn't been seen to already. Bring them out to the Dauntless and get them set up. Activate the deflectors, and then drive back down to the armory to make the exchanges. After that, she knew there wouldn't be anymore stalling with regard to her emblem piece. That was just one 'downer' right on top of another.

Edited by Phoenix

"What made you think he was here though? We have run into multiple flying women, magical sandstorms, palaces, border guards, and... I did not think of it till now, but why did those Urswine attack us at the border anyways?"

One laugh stifling later, Aneda smiled, "Oh right, you would know I suppose. Now that I think about it, it's kinda how most legends get started for weapons, or how I see it anyway. One, ten, a hundred, a thousand, the more it sees the more you know how to utilize it, not just for the plain old potential of hurting, but just all around. Protection, deflection, offense... but I digress, I'm just rambling on this subject. May your new lance serve you well." And as if the lance was some sort of pet, Aneda pointed to its tip, getting close to it. "And you better listen to her lest you become an elaborate tent pole, or worse!" Putting the sword back from where she got it, Aneda sighed, "Well, nothing's caught my eye here, and I doubt spending a longer amount of time would really change that, so if you're done I'd say we head out... or... back."

Raquel

"They were-'Urswine'?" Raquel cut herself off having just caught the word. Not sure what to make of it, she moved on. "They were Wrathites, a branch of the Four orders of the Ursian church. They wanted my emblem and being caught with Siv right out in the open was reason enough for them to try and haul us in. It was just really bad timing on our part. At least if they hadn't noticed Siv we might have had a chance to get out of the fight ... maybe."

Gabbie

"Amen to that. This one's gonna see a lot of action." Gabbie replied. "Hmm, yeah if you're done lookin' around, we should go. I've got everything I need for the toime being and I'll admit, I'm sloightly curious about the racket outsoide from a few minutes ago." she added. Once they were outside, Paz looked their way.

"Oh, hello again. It seems most of your companions are heading back to the palace, now. You should also know that there was an incident a short time ago."

"Who offended who?" Gabbie immediately assumed.

"I'm not sure exactly what happened. Perhaps you might try asking one of your companions."

"Bert the Cringer, what happened?" Gabbie asked, intentionally getting his name wrong.

Edited by Phoenix

Am I cringing? Norbert wondered first and foremost. It didn't feel like he was, but he could be. He did feel the muscles under his eyebrows tensen a little, so he was probably glaring a little bit now. Made sense. He was a bit annoyed at the mistake the lancewoman made, but it wasn't worth correcting right now. He didn't have a problem answering her question except that he didn't want to do so right then and there in front of Paz. "You could probably get a better answer from someone else," he decided to rply.

John looked at the Palace as they got closer. <So, it's going to be the last we see of this place huh.> He thought. <Well, I guess it could've been worse. Though short, it certainly won't be forgettable, heh.>

-----

As Sophia walked, she could hear most of what Raquel and the archer were talking about. She didn't wanted to intrude into their conversation, though likewise it made her think about how little she knew of the general situation as well.

So her father was kidnapped? She thought. And they've been after these people for almost a month now? It's surprising they have lasted this long, considering how powerful those people are. Though I guess considering things, it may not be that surprising...

Edited by Acacia Sgt