Return of the Emblem Chapter Eight: Affairs of the World

Phoenix

"Why were you even carrying such a foul being in the first place? Of all the things I can imagine you doing, trafficking live beings, be they human or... monster... does not seem like something you would do. Is Siv somehow related to why we have come here?"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raquel

"What? No. Siv's not related to this. See, we originally agreed to help a group of Kigenese mercenaries complete their mission and help them bring back a live fallen for the Professor to use for research ... at least that's what we thought we were doing. Remember, we just ended up helping out the sole survivor and bringing her and Siv back to Weyland only to find out that Siv was just bait for a catching another fallen." Raquel explained. "The only reason we're in Rex-Avaz is because Lilith decided there was no better place in the world to bring us." she added, sounding a bit resentful of the winged wonder.

"Are you really shocked that a being who has been sealed off in the world is making irrational decisions Raquel? Even if I had been as cut off as her, I have only been alive for less than twenty years, not the multitude she has been. *sigh* I am sorry. She does not deserve my paranoia. I guess I just found it... too convenient that we stumble across the location of someone like her by pure chance and then she takes us so far away on a whim. If she is who she says she is she probably has her own reasons that will bring down problems on her and anyone near her and I am afraid I will wake up tomorrow with a twenty story sea lizard knocking down buildings to fight her with us as collateral damage."

Raquel

"Lilith's trying to stop stop the God of Wrath, not gigantic lizards. At least that's what she says. I'm guessing she won't be around much longer, either. She made it pretty clear that she only planned to 'bring us to civilization'." Raquel paused, having just realized something. "Maybe she already left. I haven't seen her since that meeting with Aisha last night."

"I hope she has... no offense intended towards her. A woman who sleeps in the same cave as a bear is likely to get mauled after all. Where will we be heading next though? Is there anything I can do to help you reclaim your father that I do not know? Please, I want to help."

Raquel

Well that was a strange metaphor, but there was also a question; she could only partially answer. "Well we only really have one place to go. Ursium. It's going to take us a while to get back, though. We'll either have to head up along the Kigenese coat or take a ship to Sergio Port. A ship would probably be faster ... and I'm not sure there's anything you or anyone else in the group can do to help find my father. At least not right now, way out here in the middle of nowhere."

What, the Wrathites are after the Emblem too!? Sophia was surprised, this was certainly news to her. And they have already fought against them for it already? Wait, we were being helped by them when we were sent to rescue Raquel, would that have meant that if we hadn't been warped then... She stopped for a second before continuing walking. Well, I guess then something good came from being sent away then.

Raquel

"Would you rather spend an entire month trying to get back to Ursium, or only a couple of weeks?" Raquel asked. "You and Gytha don't have to be near each other if you don't like her. In fact, if we're on a ship, you don't have to be as close since on land, everyone either rides a mount of some kind or huddles together in the Dauntless. You'll have more space to yourself on a ship." she reasoned.

Nadya

"If y'all decide to go overland, I'm terminatin' my contract right here," Nadya said to Raquel, interjecting in her conversation. "Nothin' personal, but that's how it's gotta be," she said plainly.

Veronika

Veronika only paid half attention to the conversation between Raquel and Robin, since she knew most of Raquel was saying already. Lilith leaving can't work in our favor- she may have been the only thing keeping Aisha from taking the emblem from us. And with Bert's little display back in the market she's not going to look very favorably on us. I'd suggest we just leave, but without her permission we can't get through the desert. I have a bad feeling about this...

Edited by -Cynthia-

Raquel

When Nadya mentioned leaving if they didn't go by ship, Raquel wasn't sure what to think. It took all of one second for her to work out that her leaving could only be related to either traveling hardship or the country Kigen. The former seemed almost silly since Nadya was a nomad and travel was more or less their way of life. She hadn't exactly complained about where they went before or how long it took. It definitely had to be Kigen. "Is there something you don't like about Kigen, Nadya? And ... is there something you don't like about 'men', Robin?"

Around that time, they had reached the palace and were on their way to toward the stables where the horses were being kept. The conversation was a decent distraction from the 'chores' she was getting ready to do.

Gabbie

There wasn't much else to do but follow the small group heading back to the palace. It was odd that Bert was staying behind, but maybe he still had business with Paz. In the meantime she just walked beside Aneda and waited for a break in the talking so she could ask about the 'incident'. It never seemed to come and even Nadya joined in, so she decided to pester Veronika about it, starting with a light tap on the shoulder. "So what was all that screamin' about earlier? What happened at the fort?"

Veronika

"Gytha challenged the captain of the guard to an impromptu duel which went over poorly. The following argument ended up with Bert calling Aisha a witch who should be overthrown. Of course, this caused most of the local Rexians to become hostile- luckily the commander stepped in, stopped them, and saved me the trouble of punching Bert in the gut. Could have been worse, but we still have the judgments of the high priestess and Aisha herself to take into account. This could end badly," Veronika summarized for Gabbie.

Nadya

"It's not that I don't like Kigen so much as uh...I really like boats," she answered Raquel evasively. "As for Robin, I bet she doesn't want to be around guys when she's barfin' up a storm. Most guys aren't into girls pukin' all over 'em," she suggested.

Raquel

"I'm not a fan of ships, myself, but I do appreciate the decreased travel time. If we're lucky, we can get back to Ursium in less time, and we're less likely to run into ... random problems." Raquel replied, imagining random encounters that would only serve to slow them down. A few seasick party members seemed worth it by comparison, though she wasn't sure whether or not she'd be among them. She was fine during the short trip over the western channel, but a full two weeks or longer might be far worse.

Gabbie

Gabbie paused for a moment, letting the information sink in. "How the hell are we even ... still aloive, roight now?" she wondered out loud. "Well I appreciate them puttin' up with us ... if only for the emblem." Not that that makes any sense. Why not just take the damn thing from us? Lilith's been out of it for like five thousand years. Can she really beat Aisha in a one on one? Hmm ... on second thought, two people like them going at it would probably cause a lot of damage. Ah yeah, that's probably it. Keep it civil for the sake of the city.

Soon they came back to the palace. John had Gil land near the wagon and dismounted. John watched as the others continued towards the stables now.

<Well, I don't really have a reason to go there now although...> He thought. <Sure, why not. Got nothing better to do.> And so he followed them. They were talking about various things. Of course being up in the air he was out of the loop, but even if he wanted to add something, he would've figured it out by then anyway.

Sophia likewise decided to follow the others to the stables, since it looked like no one was staying behind at the wagon.

Hm, traveling by ship... She thought. It would be my first time on one. Hopefully I won't get seasick although I'm not sure either way.

Stables

"Doirect action is a lot more effective than prayin'" Gabbie interjected. Immediately afterward, they entered the stables and Gabbie broke off to go find Ringo.

Raquel shrugged. "Gytha's a mariner, Robin. If I recall correctly, it's more or less her job when she's not helping me. I'm sure she won't cause any trouble if we take a ship back to Ursium. In fact, she'll probably be making more money than me since I doubt I'll be able to sell much to the crew. Though maybe I'm just being pessimistic."

Raquel quickly identified her horses and found several hostlers tending to them.

"Good morning." one of the rexian hostlers greeted.

"Good morning." she greeted right back. "How are Sandrock and Riley?"

"They have been fed and groomed." he replied proudly.

Oh good. That's about a third of the work out of the way.

Veronika

Luck mostly it seems Veronika thought to herself in response to Gabbie's comment.

"Speaking of money, do you think we have enough to secure a ship back to Ursium? I'll offer up my share of Weyland's money to get us out of here," Veronika offered to Raquel while she was dealing with the horses.

Gytha had broken off from the travelling talkers when they reached the wagon. Rather than going to the stables, she went back into the palace to collect Maw. The first place she looked was her and Synthia's room and sure enough, the cat was contentedly snoozing on Gytha's bed. Must've eaten something. Gytha figured with a grimace. Well, what's done is done, I suppose, n' I haven't heard any complaints from th' kitchen. "C'mon, Maw. Don't want t' be left b'hind, do ye?" With that, Gytha exited the room to return to the wagon.

Maw glared at the human as she left with her partially-open eye. She'd been having such a nice dream and now she had to get up and leave? As annoying as this was, there was no helping it. So, Maw stood up and allowed herself a large yawn before stretching her front paws forward and stretching her back as her tail curled upward. Then, she stretched each back leg before lightly jumping off of the bed and trotting after Gytha.

<So that's what it is huh, about our journey back to Ursium.> John noted. <Well, by land or sea, it matters not, Gil and I are gonna be most of the time in the air anyway, heh. We can avoid getting involved in whatever trouble may happen if it's inwardly caused.>

I suppose it can't be helped, Sophia thought. But why must they already think something bad may happen to us on the boat trip? She wondered. Then again, considering what has happened to them in so little time...

Raquel

"Well I don't know if we'll have enough, but unless they charge us on a by the head--let's face it, we have a large group--it might not be so bad. We still have a lot of people, though." she replied.

"Leave by way of the sea ... it sounds almost romantic. Or at least it would if not for the lack of oversight in the coastal regions." a hostler commented. "That is also not so bad, as there are plenty of ways to make money out there."

"We'll keep that in mind, I guess. Until we can start getting an idea on pricing, we probably shouldn't worry about it. First we've got a desert to cross." And before that, we've got a 'Sanctuary' to get out of.

Veronika

"I hope we don't have to take separate boats, we got lucky with that treasure barge, but most ships aren't that big. But you're right- one problem at a time I suppose," she said, sighing while Raquel attended to the animals.

Nadya

"Well, seems y'all decided on the sea route then. I'll ready my stuff to leave I guess," she said, surprisingly a little saddened to be having to leave Sanctuary so early. But she supposed that if she didn't stay with Raquel, she might be stuck in Sanctuary forever, so she left Luca by the stables and headed towards her room in the palace.

Connor

Connor rubbed his eyes and finally woke up. Walking around the palace a bit he didn't see anyone from the group still around. I hope they didn't leave Sanctuary without me...nah Gabbie wouldn't leave me behind, Uncle would probably fire her for that. he reassured himself, before getting breakfast...or was it lunch by now?

Raquel's Chores

While Raquel made sure Sandrock and Riley were ready for the hauling they needed to do, Gabbie saw to Ringo, and eventually a servant and a few guards wandered into the stables, looking for her. "Miss 'Valcyn'. When you finish up your business at the armory, the queen would like an audience with you. This is ... a requirement." the rexian tried to word carefully so as not to alarm her.

"Do I have to go alone?" she asked, wondering about the nature of the meeting.

"You may bring whomever you wish. Your servants are no threat to the queen or her guards." he replied with a shrug.

"Okay ... thanks." she ended the conversation, a little insulted about the threat line. She understood what he meant, but she was counting on these people to help her take down her enemies. At times it was better to think of them as 'highly dangerous'. Following that, she relayed the news to anyone who hadn't been listening, offering for anyone who wanted in on the meeting to come along. Everyone else would likely have to wait at the wagon after she made the exchange. Speaking of the exchange, it was time for that. Raquel asked for a few volunteers to help transfer the new items over to the wagon, and Paz's purchases over to the rexians. Once she had the volunteers, she brought Sandrock and Riley to the wagon, tacked them up, turned on the noisy deflectors, and drove down to the armory. It was a much shorter trip with the wagon, but she couldn't really stop to take in the sights like before while focusing on the rode, nor while dwelling on the impending meeting.

Soon she arrived back at the armory. Apparently Paz had been thinking the same thing she was; he had a rather large group of rexian workers ready to quickly move weapon crates and supplies from the wagon to the armory and vice versa. Not sure how that would go, she left it to the volunteers and the rexians to work out who would carry what, and so on. With all the people involved, it didn't take longer than ten minutes to make the exchange. "Regardless of what happened, it was nice ... it was nice having business with you. No wait, that is not how you say that. 'Doing', yes? Doing business with you. It has been a pleasure."

Raquel blushed slightly (having been reminded an entirely different phrase) and nodded heavily. "Thank you. I feel the same. Err ..." best to stop there. She wasn't sure how to reply, anymore. Around the same time, Bert's custom order had been completed, and a new worker arrived with both the armor and the new purchase in hand.

"Everything is ready." he announced, presenting the items to Bert, to have, to hold, and to compare.

"And it was nice doing business with you as well, Bert." Paz said with a smile.

Lulu's Office

Once things down at the armory were settled, Raquel drove the wagon back to courtyard. Chance were they would be leaving at the end of the meeting, so she also instructed the others to grab their things and anyone they were missing and prepare to depart. Anyone else could just wait around, or accompany her to the meeting. On arrival, she spotted far more people than she expected. Aisha was there, looking exactly the same as yesterday, Lulu was present, numerous staff and guards, and even Amon, Haythem, and Malik were present. She spotted Fizza out of the corner of her eye before she gave up on trying to count up the people in the room.

"Welcome." Aisha said simply. She wasn't the most intimidating figure, but Raquel still became nervous. It hadn't occurred to her the first time she met her, but this was the same woman conjuring up all of the sandstorms in Rex-Avaz. For her not to be in a constant meditation day and night maintaining it suggested a lot, though Raquel was admittedly making a few assumptions about her methods. "Your party is missing someone ... if you'll wait a moment." she added. Raquel wasn't sure who in the party besides herself was required for this.

Exactly ten seconds after Aisha asked them to wait, the section of wall nearest the ceiling, just beside the top of the window exploded. A white, black, and golden figure came bursting through at high speed and landed with a short slide a few meters from the two groups. Stone and golden fragments, as well as gemstones and dust littered the floor around it. The figure was easier to make out once it stood up. "You may not prefer Sancturan architecture, Lilith, but try not to be so uncivil." Aisha greeted.

Lilith pointed an accusing finger at Aisha before replying. "Summon me like that again, and I'll do more than just put a hole in your wall."

"Well, that is everyone ...." Aisha noted, deciding not to complain about the damage. She knew she was responsible for upsetting Lilith, but losing a wall was totally worth it.

So Raquel had a meeting with Aisha to attend. <A meeting huh. Well, I guess it can't hurt to go.> John figured. <It's better to know first-hand than having to be told later.>

A meeting? Sophia thought. She shouldn't go alone, who knows what may happen there. And well, that made two.

And so, though first there was Raquel's merchant business, and now they were back inside the palace.

And now they were there. The room was filled with people. Well, it certainly wasn't going to be private either way.

<So she is Aisha.> John noted. <Heh, meeting two Vasili in just a matter of days; wonder who's next.>

It was a lot to hold onto, but Norbert managed, though he still leaned against Riz while the equipment was passed to him. "Thank you. ... Actually, there was one other thing I'd like to buy, though I guess it'd be more considered an exchange," Norbert replied to Paz before setting the gear over Rizen's back and slipping into the wagon to retrieve ten more gold coins from his share. His middle still ached but he'd been resting it enough that the pain had significantly dulled. He'd been mulling over this next transaction while he'd been waiting and had finally come to the conclusion that it would make good insurance in case he was in a financially tight spot again sometime in the future. When he returned to Paz he offered the gold and requested, "I'd like to exchange these for one of your sun coins." Norbert figured they could only be found in Sanctuary which made them more valuable outside of it.

Gytha had been among those who'd volunteered to help Raquel move goods and she did so in coordination with the other volunteers and assistants.

[spoiler=ooc]Huzzah, retrospect. I'll have more to post for the rp's present once I finish the stuff in the past.