Rate the Unit, Day 14: Joshua

Oh hey, the long-haired runaway guy that made his mom worry. Jerk.

On a more serious note, he's one of three that can go the assassin route, and unlike Colm, there's competition for Hero Crests, and the first one's pasted on a guy that can use it well. His Killing Edge is nice, though. As is his recruitment speech. I fully support Joshua x L'Arachel.

5.5/10, because swords.

I really like Joshua. Of all the GBA myrmidons I've ever used, Joshua usually ends up better than the rest of them on average, plus he was extremely blessed in my first draft, where he capped strength early and decimated many bosses after he promoted.

But my bias has no place in this thread, so I'm going to get objective. He's a myrmidon, which means that he's going to have frail defense and be sword-locked, with rather low strength growth. On the bright side, he has better con than most GBA swordmasters, and loses less AS from heavier swords. His strength growth is 35%, which is still low but higher than any other GBA myrmidon's. HP is high to mitigate his poor defense, and as a myrmidon he has good skill and speed. His affinity gives him attack. As a GBA myrmidon, he's looking pretty good!

Still ... you don't ever actually NEED him. He's nice to have on your party and he pulls his own weight once he gets up to speed. But he's not particularly necessary.

6/10, because he's still a myrmidon with the sword-lock and non-mounted issues that all myrmidons have, but his more acceptable con and slightly higher strength growth make him less of a hindrance. Plus, he comes in early enough and can contribute well enough if raised.

All of this +/- points based on bias makes me want to eat my hat. And I lost my hat. That's how much it makes me want to eat my lost hat.

Joshua attacks stuff and tends to die quickly like any typical sword user. I give him a 4/10. He's meh at best, swords, and lacks a mount.

>Complaining about personal bias

>Talking about hats while rating Joshua

icwudt.

Joshua is pretty solid, seems sturdier than a lot of other GBA swordies. It's hard for me to give him a bad grade when Eirika is >7 overall. You get an Armorslayer on his join chapter which mitigates the Rapier advantage somewhat.

6/10.

It's a reference to the Iliad, where Myrmidons were Achilles's army.

Im surprised more people dont know this. :blink:

Joshua. Hes a gamblin' hat wearing Ramblin' Man.

Pros:

Quick!!! LIKE THE WIND!

Pretty damn sturdy. (unless a SwordReaver is staring him in the face.)

Probably the first (besides Seth) who can use the Audhulma as soon as you get it.

Dat dodge.

Dat skill.

Hat.

Cons:

Dat res. :mellow:

Dat luck. (at least his backstory/personality kinda....justifies it. No wonder he always loses at his games.)

Swordlock. D:

7.5/10. Hes pretty cool and probably one of your fastest units. His strength is never all that fantastic but dat crit rate helps. Hes probably the best GBA Swordie ive come across. (Never got Rutger to Swordie cuz i never finished that game so i dont know about him.)

I really love Joshua. All Joshua all the time. I call him Squishua because he squishes things. he gets a 9.5/10 biased rating from me.

@ Florina: You should finish FE6. Rutger puts all GBA SMs (combined) to shame. Especially on HM, and even on NM he's still excellent.

Maybe. But im pretty ass at that game due to the nasty RNG that happens. :( I remember having him on my team and him being pretty good but he never promoted i dont think. I cant even remember what sort of stat spread he had....

Rutger's shining moment of gloriousness is his promotion. FE6 promo bonuses are awesome and he gets 30 crit. That's a fuckton.

NM isn't in that bad wrt hitrates I think? It's HM that has the shittiest hitrates ever but Rutger out of all people doesn't have hit issues anyway.

There's a reason why Rutger is arguably one of FE6's best units despite being swordlocked and not on a mount. Arguably only Miledy is better than him, and possibly Alance. But Alance lacks HM bonuses that both Miledy and Rutger get.

I'll give him a 4.5/10, decent offense, but it relies on rarer weapons like KEs, and using a Steel Sword doesn't work well with his bad durability. Plus, he tends to fall behind due to his on-foot nature. I tend to use him up to about Ch. 9-10, but he just doesn't cut it when more options open up. Plus, no ranged options hurt him when he does fall behind.

I'm going to go start that after this one is over. Keep some order and all that.

I can take part in that one only up to a certain point. (sadface. I never ever could get to the chapters to get the Legendary weapons for the good ending and junk. Hence the MAIN reason i didnt finish that game.)

Terrible unit. 3/10

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

While ordinarily I'd agree, PKL's isn't the first 3/10 and there have been several solidly justified 4/10s without bias applied, so his is barely within what I'll take.

I'd still *appreciate* it in the future though, man. :P

Tallying.

>Complaining about personal bias

>Talking about hats while rating Joshua

icwudt.

Joshua is pretty solid, seems sturdier than a lot of other GBA swordies. It's hard for me to give him a bad grade when Eirika is >7 overall. You get an Armorslayer on his join chapter which mitigates the Rapier advantage somewhat.

6/10.

Eirika is overrated. She isn't worth more than 7/10, bias included, but other people are just stupid.