Like to buy used games?

The Blind Archer

Well, you just might find Sony and Microsoft giving you the biggest middle-finger ever come the next generation of consoles.

Both Microsoft and Sony appear to be considering having control over used game hardware for the future in several ways. If you’ve got a PlayStation Orbis, for example, and you pick up any old PlayStation game that’d been sold to someone other than yourself and played on a console that wasn’t the one you’re using now, restrictions will come into play. In this case you’ll have a “restricted” amount of gameplay available to you with the “full” experience available for an additional price through the PlayStation Network.

For the Xbox 720, tips from several sources have been noting the complete cut-off of used gameplay altogether. Each game will be tied to the first console it is played on, then that’s it! Downloadable games and one-user-disks will be the only legal means for gamers to play games on their Xbox 720 consoles if rumors prove to be true.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally (and likely) the cost of games for these consoles will be reduced should they implement this.

That's actually rather stupid. Why would any video game company want to do that? What if any self-respecting gamer has no other way to play the game?

Game developers don't make money on used game sales. Not only will Sony and Microsoft make more money off of their own videogame releases, but third party devs will be attracted to them as opposed to Nintendo for it as well. Nintendo already receives the least third party support, with Sony receiving the most. Those numbers will get more lopsided in favor of Sony and Microsoft, assuming their consoles can sell a significant amount.

Edited by Tangerine

Neither company would do this because that's complete suicide. There's nothing to worry about.

I don't think we can assume that they won't try it. They just won't stick with it once the results show.

And people wonder why i'm so loyal to Nintendo.

At least Playstation usually has enough good games to constitute buying all/most of them new, but why do that when you can get your games for at least half price?

I tell ya, anything that happens that causes someone else to make money on games, and they get all pissy. How do they think games become used in the first place? If these game companies are really upset about not making money off of games they already made money on, then why not get into the market of buying/selling used games themselves? Not everyone likes virtual content you know, some of us prefer to have physical copies of our games.

So what, if I wanted to lend my game to a friend for a weekend or whatever, he won't be able to play it because it will only work on my console?

What a complete pile of bullshit. Hopefully this rumour proves to be false.

They're eventually going to do this. A few people will complain, but most of their customers won't even care and most complainers will end up forking over money anyway as well. That's just how it has always been.

And people wonder why i'm so loyal to Nintendo.

>2012

>region locks

Also, I've heard some 3DS games don't allow battery erasing in order to restrict used game sales. Don't ever think Nintendo are some kind of "good guys"; they've survived in the market through cunning, sometimes downright vicious practices. This is, after all, business.

They're eventually going to do this. A few people will complain, but most of their customers won't even care and most complainers will end up forking over money anyway as well. That's just how it has always been.

Especially when the sales numbers show it. The PS3 has the best software sales this generation for third party developers (despite being last in overall console sales), with the 360 in second. Despite their lower userbases their third party support is already much greater than the Wii's. If the "Orbis" and "720" can sell enough units, you can bet they will be getting a large amount of third party support again.

There will be whiners, but if you want good third party games you're going to be buying those consoles regardless.

That said, I would not be surprised if compromises are made before and after their release. Sony is obviously showing a desire to do it, considering they are offering to "unlock" used games for a fee in their current plan. The new Microsoft system is basically a full lockout, but they'll copy eachother because they are direct competitors.

Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have been doing really obnoxious things for a while now. It shouldn't be much of a surprise they keep going forward with them since people keep just paying them anyways. I haven't gotten anything related to PSP/PSV/Wii/DS/3DS/360 in years now because I don't like that they do stuff like this, and I'm fine to keep doing that. There are plenty of great games already out and plenty of pastimes other than gaming for me to spend time on. Hopefully it changes, but if it doesn't, oh well.

I can say unequivocally that if even a glimmer of these rumors are true about either system then I won't even begin to contemplate buying either one. I greatly value the ability to lend games to others, and especially to sell it at my leisure at a later date. I'm already irritated enough with digital only titles becoming bigger and bigger; I simply won't tolerate such happening to the used market. I'd rather walk away from the hobby than deal with such stupid bullshit.

So the next video game crash is gonna happen even sooner?

Neat!

Don't ever think Nintendo are some kind of "good guys"; they've survived in the market through cunning, sometimes downright vicious practices. This is, after all, business.

Nintendo has always been the most customer-friendly in their best days though.

Don't forget never reducing the price of their games ever.

That's a case of sufficient demand still being there to keep the price at the same point.

Edited by Ike-Mike

I do not own a PS3, and I only bought the Xbox 360 four years after it launched. I can say (without any passion) as a gamer who relies extensively on used games (and Steam sales!) that I do not need Sony's and Microsoft's successor consoles enough that I would tolerate this change.

Call it empty bluster from an internet idiot if you must, but I am being sincere and I almost always stick to my guns. I can enjoy my hobby without the PS4 and Xbox 720 just as I enjoyed my hobby without the PS3 or the Xbox 360.

Would I tolerate this behavior from Nintendo? ...Probably. When it comes to how I spend my time and money I have never claimed to be even handed. I would accept more BS from Nintendo simply because I want their stuff more. But if even they adopted this policy, the number of games I bought from them would likely decrease significantly.

Personally, I don't see much of a problem with this, as someone's states previously, it's a business after all, everyone wants more money, money makes the world go around.

I'd do the same thing in their shoes, not sure about other people though, if you don't like it, buy less games, work more, get a better job, get more money, or stop bitching. One thing that always ticks me is how people will spend so much of their time complaining about an issue instead of putting that effort into something more productive.

But then again, I live in Australia, where a new Xbox 360 game is about $100 to $120, pre-owned it's only about $5-$20 cheaper than getting it brand new, unless it's about 2-3 years old. With conversions:

Brand new game;

$100 AUD => $103 USD

$120 AUD => $124 USD

$90 AUD => $93 USD

AUS Skyrim.

USA Skyrim.

AUS: $99 AUD => $102 USD.

USA: 60 USD => $58 AUD.

We already pay an arm and a leg down here, this'll barely effect us at all.

This is (part of) the reason I'm going to remain a PC gamer. When they do this shit, it's way easier to get around.

But honestly, the last games I bought were like 2 humble indie bundles, a bunch of Paradox games, StarCraft 2 and Armored Core 5, and that's covering a year and a half or so, so it hardly mattered in the first place. A lot of great games are free.

Personally, I don't see much of a problem with this, as someone's states previously, it's a business after all, everyone wants more money, money makes the world go around.

That doesn't excuse being an asshole. There is such as thing as having ethics.

Making a product much more of an issue for consumers to use, to the point of harming sales, is not good business.

That doesn't excuse being an asshole. There is such as thing as having ethics.

As much as i'd like to agree with you, ethics don't seem to exist in the business world. All they care is to get money at all costs. Even if it means trampling their own customers.

Also, on the thing about not being able to play used game: That sucks. Oh yay, now we can't lend games and exchange. We must buy new video games at like 600$ a pop to buy one. :/ Fuck that shit.

Edited by SlayerX