Hero King Marth DLC

Shun One

Look it violates all laws of narrative to have the Masked Marth actually be Marth. Imagine if Sirius had rocked up and gone "I'm Camus" and then the big reveal was "He's Camus"

What's the point of the mask? a mask is designed to obscure someones identity by hiding distinguishing facial features, or in the case of Gravion, giant tits. Mask is an ambiguous term as well, really it is any facial object that obscures the eyes, Oft because how the eyes are drawn or what color they are, is a good way to determine if a person is who they say they are. Masks can be donned to hide your identity from people you don't wish to reveal yourself to, or so you can assume another identity, Examples in both from the same damn character are Quattro Bajeena and Char Aznabel, Both wore 'Masks' to hide their identity as being Casval.

If someone shows up, says "I'm Marth" and is wearing a MASK, and then pulls off the mask and it's revealed "I'm Marth' then what was the point of the mask, To 'hide shame'? Changing your name, especially after you're supposed to be long dead, would be a better way.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look it violates all laws of narrative to have the Masked Marth actually be Marth. Imagine if Sirius had rocked up and gone "I'm Camus" and then the big reveal was "He's Camus"

What's the point of the mask? a mask is designed to obscure someones identity by hiding distinguishing facial features, or in the case of Gravion, giant tits. Mask is an ambiguous term as well, really it is any facial object that obscures the eyes, Oft because how the eyes are drawn or what color they are, is a good way to determine if a person is who they say they are. Masks can be donned to hide your identity from people you don't wish to reveal yourself to, or so you can assume another identity, Examples in both from the same damn character are Quattro Bajeena and Char Aznabel, Both wore 'Masks' to hide their identity as being Casval.

If someone shows up, says "I'm Marth" and is wearing a MASK, and then pulls off the mask and it's revealed "I'm Marth' then what was the point of the mask, To 'hide shame'? Changing your name, especially after you're supposed to be long dead, would be a better way.

I agree completely. The mask would be pointless if the person claiming to be Marth was actually Marth. I'm leaning toward the Masked Marth = woman idea. In response to the Hero King Marth DLC, I'm actually very happy with the artwork itself. I wonder if Marth will take on Krom's Lord animations in battle.

The mask would still make sense if Charth is actually a zombie Marth, though - considering the zombies are really only defined by their glowing red eyes, that is.

Or if he's somewhat disfigured for some other motive.

The mask would still make sense if Charth is actually a zombie Marth, though - considering the zombies are really only defined by their glowing red eyes, that is.

Or if he's somewhat disfigured for some other motive.

Well Zombie is still a possibility, of course, But I think 'Hero King Marth' DLC is more pushing that this isn't the real Marth. Either because it's dead or because it simply isn't Marth

The only thing that DLC Marth suggests to me is that we're probably not recruiting Masked Marth. DLC Marth is from a world separate from Krom's, which is vaguely hinted to be the world of Archanea, so Masked Marth could still be the "true" Marth in Krom's world (there is a Hero King in Krom's world as well).

Edited by VincentASM

I think Vincent has a point. The only thing that makes me doubt Masked Marth as Marth is he shows up and goes "I am Marth" while wearing a mask. It was pointed out earlier, but that would mean he would have to not be Marth.

On the flip-side, why on earth would anyone pretend to be a long dead king that everyone knows about? It just doesn't make sense either way.

I think Vincent has a point. The only thing that makes me doubt Masked Marth as Marth is he shows up and goes "I am Marth" while wearing a mask. It was pointed out earlier, but that would mean he would have to not be Marth.

On the flip-side, why on earth would anyone pretend to be a long dead king that everyone knows about? It just doesn't make sense either way.

Exactly there is no reason for anyone to pretend to be marth i mean it's not like samto and shanam that pretend to be famous swordmasters of their time, so it cannot be an imposter it must be someone related to marth, but for reasons stated above by vincent not the original marth(unless you know.. he's a zombie)

Well, I have seen the commercial but...

Maybe they were just spoilering things there and Martwo doesn't actually claim reveal himself to be Marth until the very end.

Plus, Marth might simply look particular feminine this time around to contrast him from Krom's rather masculine appearance.

Edited by BrightBow

Symbol of hope?

Marth, Hero King from the time of Legends, exiled prince who defeated a Dark Dragon with a holy sword, leading an army of misfits on a grand crusade etched in history. Nope, no reason that his return might be an attempt to unite the people against this threat.

Or be a pretender leading the people to tragedy. Either or.

There are plenty of reasons to pretend to be someone whose long dead.

Camus already broke the laws of narrative by having two different disguises.

Symbol of hope?

Marth, Hero King from the time of Legends, exiled prince who defeated a Dark Dragon with a holy sword, leading an army of misfits on a grand crusade etched in history. Nope, no reason that his return might be an attempt to unite the people against this threat.

Or be a pretender leading the people to tragedy. Either or.

There are plenty of reasons to pretend to be someone whose long dead.

Rakath: + 1 point.

I give you that. I'm looking at it from the point of view that Marth was just a regular human, and considering Anri didn't magically reappear to save everyone, why would Marth?

Again, you've got a good point though. I'll just give up on guessing and wait until the game releases though. It'll be easier for me this way.

purple zombie breath

it even shows up in the battle scenes

I'm still sticking with the "spirit of Marth summoned to assist Krom" concept, and believe you're all trying way too hard to read something that isn't there. We saw, in the trailer, before Marth's appearance, what looked like a blue spirit butterfly soaring through the battlefield. Then we see Marth, wearing a mask resembling a butterfly. Seems pretty simple to me.

Edited by Arch

I'm still sticking with the "spirit of Marth summoned to assist Krom" concept, and believe you're all trying way too hard to read something that isn't there. We saw, in the trailer, before Marth's appearance, what looked like a blue spirit butterfly soaring through the battlefield. Then we see Marth, wearing a mask resembling a butterfly. Seems pretty simple to me.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Problem: DLC Marth is a spirit summoned to assist Krom. Masked Marth is a different person from DLC Marth. And apparently Masked Marth's definition of "helping" Krom means sticking a sword through him.

The mask may have significance, but not quite this.

Problem: DLC Marth is a spirit summoned to assist Krom. Masked Marth is a different person from DLC Marth. And apparently Masked Marth's definition of "helping" Krom means sticking a sword through him.

When was it confirmed that they are two completely different people? All I've seen is the "analysis" by forum members stating that they aren't the same person.

I'd wager that the Masked Marth is the spirit assisting Krom in the main story, and that, through some plot events, the spirit goes away to become DLC another day.

Edited by Arch

People can't seem to wrap their minds around having two of the same person in a game where different dimensions and possibly time travel exist.

Rakath: + 1 point.

I give you that. I'm looking at it from the point of view that Marth was just a regular human, and considering Anri didn't magically reappear to save everyone, why would Marth?

Again, you've got a good point though. I'll just give up on guessing and wait until the game releases though. It'll be easier for me this way.

I'm still suggesting Masked is a regular human. Sorta along the lines of DCAU's Batgirl introduction. Barbara Gordon dressed as Batman to act as a symbol of support for an event. The act of Batman being thought to be there was enough to act as a rally. Someone pretending to be Marth would also work as a rally point in this world (where Marth is not just a man, but a legend).

The fallacy in this idea is that Marth's heroics were due to his drive to do what is right, and nothing to do with a heroic birthrite (like being Anri's descendant). He was a fallen prince who wanted his home back, his people safe, and for evil to SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP. Which got him the army he needed to do it.

Incidentally we have Krom, not Masked, as our hero. Meaning Krom is the kid, with a sword, leading the band of misfits to tell evil to sit down and drink its tea. Masked and their role in the story isn't clear cut yet, but it isn't of the protagonist.

I'm still suggesting Masked is a regular human. Sorta along the lines of DCAU's Batgirl introduction. Barbara Gordon dressed as Batman to act as a symbol of support for an event. The act of Batman being thought to be there was enough to act as a rally. Someone pretending to be Marth would also work as a rally point in this world (where Marth is not just a man, but a legend).

The fallacy in this idea is that Marth's heroics were due to his drive to do what is right, and nothing to do with a heroic birthrite (like being Anri's descendant). He was a fallen prince who wanted his home back, his people safe, and for evil to SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP. Which got him the army he needed to do it.

Incidentally we have Krom, not Masked, as our hero. Meaning Krom is the kid, with a sword, leading the band of misfits to tell evil to sit down and drink its tea. Masked and their role in the story isn't clear cut yet, but it isn't of the protagonist.

I get you're suggesting Marth was a regular human. It's more your second point I was getting at. That being, his actions were tied to his drive rather than him being descendant from heroes. I was thinking of it in terms of a "In troubled times, the Hero will return to save his people" as opposed to using Marth as a tool to rally the people.

I do think that it'd be a pretty good reason to pretend to be Marth from this stand point. The idea that Marth himself has come back to help sounds like viable plot-point: especially for when it's revealed that it wasn't Marth after all. As you said, Krom is the leading man here, not Masked. I suppose a lot of our conjecture is based off of our theories on what Masked purpose in the story is. I'm intrigued by the character whether it's Marth or an imposter. Looking forward to the mystery being revealed.

To keep the discussion going though, I will point to the Falchion. While it could easily be a replica (and a mighty impressive one at that), it certainly says something to it's legitimacy in that Krom immediately recognizes it.

It helps that we have plenty of storyline viable explanations for a return of Marth. Time travel, dimensional travel, mythology, imposter all work to explain Masked and their presence. So while someone earlier pointed out it doesn't follow any storytelling rules to have a Masked person claiming to be X be X, we have plenty of ways to twist that trope in this story, so that revealing Masked Marth as the real Marth stays a surprise. It helps that we're all old and distrusting and half of us won't believe it's really Marth.

The having their own Falchion also helps to both play up, and play away, the explanations for Marth. FE11 (and 12, I think) had multiple copies of the sword. Thus it's possible here to have multiple copies of the sword, meaning the sword does nothing absolute in the validity of Masked's claims. And the explanation in 11 was that the second sword came from a second reality nearby to the main one.

The storywriting, at least from what we know, has a lot to work with and is using it all very well.

When was it confirmed that they are two completely different people? All I've seen is the "analysis" by forum members stating that they aren't the same person.

I'd wager that the Masked Marth is the spirit assisting Krom in the main story, and that, through some plot events, the spirit goes away to become DLC another day.

Again:

This isn't the same masked Marth we've seen, it's the spirit of the Hero King Marth from another world. After clearing the DLC map you get his talisman/card and he joins your party.

This means that Masked Marth is not the spirit of the Hero King Marth. Also, hair color.

Edited by Othin