Effective ways to blow off steam?

Elieson

Drugs

I think the best way has already been said.

do something you really enjoy and are really captured by when you do it

Edited by Austin LePurple

• Read Manga/Watch Anime
  • Play video games. Mostly ones for the 360 - not that I have many.
  • Read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. It never fails to bore me out of my mind, which somehow helps me lose steam. If you read this post and understand the logic behind this/do something similar, please let me know WHY I do it.

I have a punching bag that I beat on when I'm really angry or frustrated. I find that taking out my agression on a physical object (without hurting anyone) is a really effective way get my emotions out. Before that I used to punch pillows, but that's a great way to wear them out and get cotton puffs/ feathers all over your room.

My talkie therapist has told me reading something substantive does tend to tire people out, unless they actually get so into it they're kept up by it, but never really explained how that worked.

I have a punching bag that I beat on when I'm really angry or frustrated. I find that taking out my agression on a physical object (without hurting anyone) is a really effective way get my emotions out. Before that I used to punch pillows, but that's a great way to wear them out and get cotton puffs/ feathers all over your room.

That might be a mixed bag, sadly. Unfortunately, you/we might feel better by acting out anger safely, but that just be briefly baring then clamping down on anger as opposed to a way of dealing with it, and might even make us more aggressive later on.

Which sucks, because doing things sure feels a lot better than not doing things while being worked up.

Edited by Rehab

Read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. It never fails to bore me out of my mind, which somehow helps me lose steam. If you read this post and understand the logic behind this/do something similar, please let me know WHY I do it.

I can't understand it at all, I love W&P past the first...40 pages or so (so far).

[*] Read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. It never fails to bore me out of my mind, which somehow helps me lose steam. If you read this post and understand the logic behind this/do something similar, please let me know WHY I do it.

See, for me, being bored out of my mind is one of the reasons I get pissed in the first place, so I unfortunately have no idea where you're coming from. Reading something that's more engaging, though, would do better for myself personally.

Lately when I've needed to blow off steam, I have a smoke, but you probably don't want to do that (and I recommend you don't, bad bad habit).

Another method I use is playing fun and easy video games (ones that you can really get into but also feel like you're accomplishing something, FE8 and MegaMan X are my go tos).

Most of the time, though, I play guitar. I play songs that make me feel good or try to vent my frustration into writing a new song. This method works well for when you're lonely or stressed, too.

some one mentioned gun so i put forth archery with a non compound bow it tires you out if its a bow that of a proper draw weight it requires focus and you could imagine your aiming for some one you hate

edit: thats an option but its expensive reading a book work best for me

Edited by Cyron

• 1 month later...

Just so you know, if you guys are talking about what I think you're talking about, that's the catharsis theory you're referring to. But that's nothing but a lie. It'll make you feel better temporarily, but will actually make you MORE likely to get angry in the future. Of course, keeping anger bottled up inside isn't healthy either, so the most effective way to deal with it is to express it, but in a calm, rational way.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually just go on the internet and bitch about it. While there is indeed a few silly people, it's always nice for others to make light about it anyway. Also, there are some nice people who listen and give me advice and stuff.

Edit: Or I just blast music and sit in front of a fan, being pissy, annoyed by humanity's nagging voices, and hot just makes everything worse.

Edited by Maji