Effective ways to blow off steam?

Elieson

Open a release valve to let some steam blow out.

on a more serious note:

sex

masturbation

excersize

violence

do something you really enjoy and are really captured by when you do it

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

Drums

or alternatively find a stick and hit things with it and pretend it sounds good. It actually kind of helps, the rhythm, and it makes you focus less on what's irritating you.

Also sometimes I draw mutilated people in red pen ;/ It helps me a lot.

Edited by CR-S01

Someone I know also suggested visiting a firing range. I do live on Texas after all :/

Talk about what's bothering you with some close friends.

Do something you enjoy.

This is pretty much the closest answer...

But on my case; if my anger goes beyond control; animate something (particularly a monster/thing you don't like) then lash out your anger on it!

Meditation. Some of many methods:

-Alternate breathing in and out every 10 seconds, focusing on this completely

-Intentionally think of nothing, or repeatedly think a word something along the lines of "nothingness" without straying

-Turn out all lights, light a candle, and focus on its flickering

-Similar to the second, repeatedly think of the concept of being one with all other living things, or focus single-mindedly on what you have in common with them

What for some reason doesn't actually work for me: napping.

clNFl.jpg

Depends on the person much of the time. As mentioned before, masturbation is an option, as is self-indulgent in other manners, like naptime, snacking, rewards, etc.; on the same end, actual venting in terms of physical activities by exercise, doing things, whatever. Throwing ice seems intelligent.

Though those are all dancing around the conflict--it's really better to face what's causing you to want to break of steam in the first place, if you're meaning something negative (and you want an outlet from the negativity).

Otherwise I'd think you want more to know about relaxation ._.

My cat/dog/goldfish died suddenly, it's no one's fault, how do I face that?

I think it depends on what's getting under your skin, and why. Some problems are better faced head-on; others can be managed by going elsewhere.

Do what you love most.

Sometimes I'll sprite, hack or just game to get things off of my mind.

The best for me is to play football, because that is my passion, even if it's just a pick up game. Nothin better than pile driving some dumbass kid into the dirt :)

Explore your sexuality.

Sex with strangers. Steam won't be the only thing you're blowing off...

In all seriousness, though: having a wank, screaming into a pillow, eating stuff and listening to some good music all work for me.

Cursing Horace, for he is the cause of all our misfortune! But I find sleeping helps.

Edited by Parco Folgore

I sometimes try lying down, close my eyes and relax. And as I lie down to start focusing on the noises I couldn't hear and the air I couldn't feel and all the other things.

Personally I would avoid trying to deal with it with violence, though.

I might be entirely wrong of course, seeing how there are very few things I am an expert in but since humans are creatures controlled by their habits I am worried about the consequences it might have if your body gets used to reacting to stress with an aggressive outburst.

Edited by BrightBow

Kill things.

In video games, of course.

You've never slaughtered an ant colony leaving the grubs for last from the genocide as they are the weakest for fun to relieve stress before? You're missing out. (⌐■_■)

Any who. Enough dark humor. It sucks anyway.

Playing video games. Good ones that is. None of that FE crap. Seriously.

Listening to music that is awesome. And I do mean awesome.

Laughing. For reals. Learn to crack a smile and laugh even when you feel like shit.

Reading stuff that's new to you to explore new ideas and new ways of looking at things so you aren't some kind of close minded asshole.

Watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report because they are the only two news outlets worth of any note.

Watching some kind of media that is happy and light-hearted because all of this negativity we deal with all day can weigh heavily on our minds at the end of the day.

Other stuff I dunno you figure it out damn it. You have free will right?

Laughing. For reals. Learn to crack a smile and laugh even when you feel like shit.

Even just faking a smile or forcing your face to do so (by pushing your cheeks) is said to work.

Also, do a trigonometric proof or solve a math word problem.

Get absolutely exhausted through a sport or exercise. Go boxing, that's actually a wonderful way to burn off steam. The person in front of you is the manifestation of your feelings... take 'em out.

Kind of a tangent, but I hear the best/most feared punchers in boxing tend to have some rage issues to tap into.

Kind of a tangent, but I hear the best/most feared punchers in boxing tend to have some rage issues to tap into.

Hmm. Probably true in some respects, but Floyd Patterson (well, I'm mainly drawing from Liebling here) comes to mind as an almost ridiculously professional and controlled guy given his sport.

To some extent, I think that violence as a professional boxer is different than say, releasing it in private on your own, since if you lose an important match, your career might suffer. So, even after the violence, you might have resentment against someone you weren't able to beat (Floyd was an example of someone who, when he lost, only sought to improve further).

Edited by Jet Black Gunner