VS-ing the Blackknight

So I was attempting a mage only Playthrough. When I got to chapter 3-7, my severely over-leveled Soren accidentally "killed" the Black Knight. I imagine I can't be the only person who has done this, so out of curious, what other characters have people managed to beat him with? I would assume at least Ike...

Wow. I can only dream about that. That is awesome! Only Ike has ever layed a finger on him (Nephenee did some chip damage in 3-7 though) Does he just retreat?

I once did it with Lyre in 1 round. It was intentional of course because I wanted to know if it was possible at all. Lots of abuse in 3-4 and needed the 10% crit she gets from Lethe along with the fire support she had with rhys(I believe it was)

10% crit only so I had to restart the chapter so many times to get that one crit in.

So satisfying.

Well I was assuming based on Ike being one of the likelier characters to go into combat with him. But, in retrospect, his cap and forced promotion make it pretty much impossible, even with a forge and supports.

Beating him with Lyre is definitely impressive. I can't get her to kill random mooks, much less the Black knight.

Boyd managed to get a critical hit with his Hammer (Mist and Rolf next to him) an killed him in one attack. Soren with good speed, and Meteor. For the rest nobody who could defeat him in one round.

Edited by Arondight

beating BK with Ike in 3-7? how?

I never killed him myself,

I like using Sephiran too much to even try

Yeah me too. lol! My Sorens could probably take the BK on and survive but im not sure about nuking him. I never tried to actually nuke the BK. I should try that sometime since my Sorens usually end up hideously overleveled anyway.

Soren with good speed, Adept and Meteor in one round.

Nihil says lolnope.

That aside, I've never tried since, well... that screws you out of geting Sephiran.

Edited by Golden Cucco

I'm kinda surprised Soren actually managed to kill him. That's like a 12% chance of happening. Anyway, nope, haven't ever killed him. The closest I could have come was my last PT where Haar was like 20/5 and had a hammer. Still wouldn't have worked because the BK could double and ORKO him. Still managed to kill everyone on the DB but him, Volug, and Laura :P:

Nihil says lolnope.

That aside, I've never tried since, well... that screws you out of geting Sephiran.

You're right about that, then it was even without Adept.. But it was sure a one rounder somehow

Edit: Still have the recording: it was with Adept in Dolphin, but I changed some skills for some good battles. Nihil was replaced by pavise

Edited by Arondight

You need 110 damage in one hit or 150 in two hits to 1-round him. Above 20% crit chance is needed to crit.

Let's see who can reach that with maximum stats, supports, bonds and transfer bond.

Horseback units are never getting though the swamp, Heather is never having enough damage, Ike cannot promote to get enough speed or str and the hawks have not enough time to train up even with max abuse so they are all counted out.

Haar cannot double and with 38 Str and 39 MT from Hammer deals not even close the amount needed. Now let's see he gets 5 bond support from Jill giving a whopping 4% chance to deal ((38+39)-40)*3=111 damage a clean 1-shot. Supports do not matter in this case. Though a transfer can boost crit chance to 9%

A maxed Jill has an easier time since she can double. Still needs a crit though. Mist and Haar give bonuses up to +15% resulting in 14% chance to crit. With 2 hits she has an efective 26% chance to 1-round the BK.

Let's take a look at the remaining axers. Brom and Gatrie both cannot double. Brom with a transfer bond get's 2% chance to crit. Gatrie also has Shinon for 7% chance.

Boyd can double and has excelent str dealing 42 damage every hit with an offensive support easily 1-rounding the BK if both his attacks hit. If not he has 36 skill and a whopping +25% from Buddy. This gives 23% chance to crit whihc is pretty insane. With 172 hit rating at worst and BK's avoid being 90 at best Boyd faces 82% hit at worst. A support with another accuracy booster would resolve this easily giving +15% hit.

Basicly there is a 99.31% chance to 1-round even at worst Biorythm combo.

For magic users we have Ilyana, ryze and Soren. Anima first. Neither archsage can double but they do hit res. They will need to deal 95 damage in a single hit. With 39 and 40 Magic each (14 and 15 if you count off the

Boyd can double and has excelent str dealing 42 damage every hit with an offensive support easily 1-rounding the BK if both his attacks hit. If not he has 36 skill and a whopping +25% from Buddy. This gives 23% chance to crit whihc is pretty insane. With 172 hit rating at worst and BK's avoid being 90 at best Boyd faces 82% hit at worst. A support with another accuracy booster would resolve this easily giving +15% hit.

Basicly there is a 99.31% chance to 1-round even at worst Biorythm combo.

If you equip the Black Knight with a lance, the hit issue won't be a problem, since you get +10% acc because of the weapon triangle. Futhermore, you can use Reyson to get Boyd's biorythm to maximum, or/and sorrow to get the Black Knight's biorythm to minimum, resolving the hit issue. The big problem in fact is not his hitting, but not to get Eclipsed. Use Ilyana to pass Nolan's Nihil

Also for Jill: 35 (str) + (13 (hammer) + 1 (weapon triangle)) * 3 - 35 (def) = 42, giving 84 when doubling.

Edited by Arondight

Over half my post didn't make it through. I calculated it for all characters available by then. I indeed forgot you can reequip the BK to reduce his Def by 5 points.

Boyd is pretty much the best character. (WTA does not apply in HM) but with the biorythm you can assume everyone gets pretty much 100% hit. If we assume the BK does not crit/eclipse you almost everyone can 1-round him.

Boyd with the Hammer easily 2shots him. But Boyd with the Brave Axe = 40(str)+3(support)+11(weapon)=54Mt. 54-35=19. 19*4=76 damage which also 1-rounds the BK. Boyd with forged Steel Axe = 40+3+19=62 Mt. 62-35=27 and 27*2=54 dmg which lacks. If you forge with a Black Feathers card he can reach (38/2)skl+25Weapon+30bond-20BKLck=54% critchance. (0.54*0.54+0.54*0.46*2)*100=78.84% chance to 1-round. Boyd is a beast when it comes to killing the BK in 3-7.

EDIT: Also Jill. 35(str) + 39(Hammer) - 35(def) = 39, giving 78 when doubling (80 with WTA for non-hard pussies) It's still enough to 1-round the BK but you had a faulty calculation there. (happens to me all the time lol)

Edited by Silith

WTA doesn't make a big difference indeed, but I don't even know if it is even possible (without (1exp) abuse) to get Boyd's stats this high at this point of the game in hard mode?

Edit: about Jill with WTA: WTA bonus is applied to the might of the weapon, so giving 14 might to the Hammer. (So the WTA bonus is also tripled)

Edited by Arondight

Just to be clear my Soren didn't one-round him. He was attacked first and then attacked and criticaled on player turn, when I was freaking out trying to figure out what to do with him. I think that he would have needed either 4 more magic or 3 more magic and and a forge with a +3 Mt instead to have one rounded. My calculations might be bad, though. If I had actually been trying ahead of time, the first would have been easy to achieve, since I had a crap ton of Bonus experience throughout most all of the game. (It was normal mode because I don't hate myself enough to play with only mages on hard.)

Edit: about Jill with WTA: WTA bonus is applied to the might of the weapon, so giving 14 might to the Hammer. (So the WTA bonus is also tripled)

What if you have a WTD on a multiplier weapon? Like using a Hammer vs a Sword Knight. will that mean you get -3 damage total? Seems silly.

(I never count WTA because I always play HM myself)

What if you have a WTD on a multiplier weapon? Like using a Hammer vs a Sword Knight. will that mean you get -3 damage total? Seems silly.

That's how the weapon triangle works in almost every other FE game.

That's how it is. WTA affects the weapon might, so Hammer vs a Sword Knight gives -3 damagE. And I always calculate with the WTA. It's not specifically because I play both Normal and Hard mode, but more because it's a very fundamental mechanic in the FE series.

The only time I've actually seen the BK killed in 3-7 by Soren, and I think it was before the game was even released in the US. Don't know what kind of strategy was used, besides that Soren was promoted by that point (duh).