The Resistance IV

Tables

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The spy pair was actually Rein and Kay. Congratulations to Rein on his 3rd consecutive spy victory, and also to Kay. Commiserations to everyone else.

I hope you all enjoyed the game, even if the same thing as always ended up happening. I hope the newcomers especially enjoyed the flavour of games that is SF Mafia.

I'd love to say here what the spies did right and/or what the resistance did wrong, but I don't think I followed the game closely enough to give a good analysis. Activity was a key one - Marth wasn't active much early, and Proto was somewhat inactive too, meaning the spies were controlling half of the discussion which is a bit good for them. The spies were also experienced players, and I think that played into their favor. I think both of these came together on mission 3, as Kay was easily able to have both spies on the mission and convince everyone he would ITS Rein, thus giving the spies zero danger of being outed and really obfuscating the picture.

Strategy wise, I think the resistance were a little too happy to upvote missions, and didn't do enough analysis of voting patterns. That being said, the spies weren't exactly giving anything away with their patterns, and were cleverly downvoting missions with each other on and even sometimes themselves on, which hid their knowledge and position well.

Here's the game spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPT0N9WtHcKdHJ0bHhjYWxZeDJEZzF1LUdmWjFOVlE

I'm not going to run another Resistance for a while. However, if someone else did want to, I'd be up for playing (nudge nudge wink wink). I can provide the necessary materials (including a spreadsheet similar to the above which I've updated to be easier to use) and details about player numbers, mission numbers etc. The game works well with anything from 5-10 players, although 5-8 is best if you want a more likely Resistance win.

Thanks for playing!

Skitty, hook me up. I'll run one for you to join.

Thanks for not a single mention of me on Postgame btw!

And btw, you say Rein covered himself well. I think he was the most obvious spy. But what do I know?!?! :(

Apologies. I didn't really go into specific town players at all, except the absentees. Rein may have been the more obvious spy, but that's out of two, and there was certainly no consensus on either of them (before mission 4 failed, at least...).

I'll send you over the stuff via PM at some point in the near future, but not right now, as it'll take a while.

bastard rng

I actually have no idea how to play as resistance in this game since the first resistance was weird and also forever ago, so I sort of went "I'm doing this for info" all game since that's what I did R3 and apparently, that works out pretty well I think I actually played pretty badly but I managed to get away with it anyway because nobody except really Elieson and BBM called me out on it, and even then BBM caved later as "normal rein stuff" because I'm generally not that talkative. Sort of like Touhou, in a way... =/

Anyway, I had a pretty good time with this even though I said slim to nothing, and kind of bullshitted my way through everything. The counter-spy balance really didn't do anything in this except for ITS and effectively cleared eclipse later (no reason not to fuck up 4.4), so...

Now, my analysis:

Resistance, don't paint everyone as suspicious; you just look worse that way. Furthermore, voting no on an early mission or two isn't scummy in and of itself. Lastly, that two-man mission shouldn't have been first; use one of the three-man ones instead. Oh, and please provide reasons in your role PM - that way, if I have to sub in, I can figure out what the hell you're thinking.

Now, my analysis:

Resistance, don't paint everyone as suspicious; you just look worse that way. Furthermore, voting no on an early mission or two isn't scummy in and of itself. Lastly, that two-man mission shouldn't have been first; use one of the three-man ones instead. Oh, and please provide reasons in your role PM - that way, if I have to sub in, I can figure out what the hell you're thinking.

I have successfully learned all that now~

Now, my analysis:

it's not scummy at all

Now, my analysis:

Ooh, this is a good point. The Resistance DEFINITELY wants to save the 2 man mission for later, and at least one of the 3 man missions too, really. It takes some experience to get the hang of it, but Resistance should definitely be starting with a 3 or 4 man mission, while information is low and even a 2 man is likely to fail anyway. Later on, when the Resistance have a little more info on who to trust, they can take the 2 and 3 man missions. Of course, the Resistance needs to be careful, since sure you might get information by doing a 4 and 3 first, but then being 2-0 down is probably not worth it...

Finally, Spies were completely random, as was leader order. This wasn't quite as amusing as in another game I'm running elsewhere (which is why I have the improved document) where the Leader order happened to exactly match the signup order. Nobody called me out on not randomising it, but I still found it amusing it fell out that way.