Dialogue changes (spoilers)

VincentASM

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larchel? That's a weird name

wait, what the hell am I thinking... FE is full of odd names...

anyone know anybody named "Hawkeye"?

Lol yeah.

As well as, Haar meaning "hair" in dutch XD. AND, Brom meaning "growl" in dutch XD!!!!

Any things I'll come by, and I'll let you guys know here. I, however, doubt I'll be coming by mistakes in the game's script, as I have the EU version, and most things are fixed (save the Sentinel and Astra things, and more, but have already been mentioned).

Something wierd I wanted to add, the european version cuts the first line of 4-F-1's 'Stefan' base conversation ("Did you come to speak to me or to Micaiaih") for some obscure reason. All other dialogue is pretty much intact.

EDIT: Something else, the EU version has Kyza called Kysha, keeping consistant with PoR. In fact, the only inconsistancy that wasn't fixed is the Tower of Guidence, and that's only because it is heard in spoken dialogue (which they obviously couldn't chance)

Edited by Big Klingy

Lol yeah.

As well as, Haar meaning "hair" in dutch XD. AND, Brom meaning "growl" in dutch XD!!!!

Any things I'll come by, and I'll let you guys know here. I, however, doubt I'll be coming by mistakes in the game's script, as I have the EU version, and most things are fixed (save the Sentinel and Astra things, and more, but have already been mentioned).

hehe...i am german, and do you know what mist means..."Mist" means shit in german, since then, theya are named in german version to Alja and Vague Katti to Nebu Katti

• 2 weeks later...

What confuses me is why they change certain names for characters that are already named something English. I can understand changing the spellings, but really...

Dialog and the various parts of the game that are full on Japanese are trickier, however the name changes are what get me. Also the Ettard/Alondite/Ragnell thing, what was up with that? Its M.Bison all over again.

Edited by Rakath

What confuses me is why they change certain names for characters that are already named something English. I can understand changing the spellings, but really...

Yeah, I wonder that as well sometimes. I don't think many of the original names were incredibly bad or complicated (with the exception of Soanevalcke). Some of the changes I guess are reasonable, eg. Astrid sounds more nobler than Stella IMO, and I'm guessing Dalahowe sounded too... camp or something or like "ho".

However I can't see the point in minor changes like Kevin to Kieran... Oh well.

Dialog and the various parts of the game that are full on Japanese are trickier, however the name changes are what get me. Also the Ettard/Alondite/Ragnell thing, what was up with that? Its M.Bison all over again.

In FE9 Alondite was its internal name (i.e what it's called in the game coding) and thus they used that. I'm assuming because they thought Ettard didn't sound cool enough or that it looked too much like "retard".

It's not entirely surprising that a real Alondite/Arondight appeared in FE10 since it's from the same (Arthurian) mythology as Ragnell.

Edited by VincentASM

or that it looked too much like "retard".

I thought that when I first saw it.

i actually prefer soanevalcke over stefan. stefan is just blegh

I don't even know how to say that. Stefan is much easier.

i actually prefer soanevalcke over stefan. stefan is just blegh
yeah, but i bet if you say soanevalcke properly, it would sound cool

hmm...stefan is an german name, which i didnt like for a strategy game which play in an another time period, because this name is a modern name, which didnt fit into the game. I like Soanevalcke better, too

Soanevalcke at least has the only technical excuse for a name chance, albeit a small one: the name is larger than nine characters (in English), which appears to be the maximum amount able to be displayed before it runs off its plaque. But they could've just removed a few unneeded vowels or a 'c' or something and been relatively fine. Dalahowe has no excuse becoming Devdan; Chap becoming Brom; Bole becoming Boyd; and Lofa becoming Rolf. Hell, many of the changes serve no real purpose--it seems more like one of the translations didn't like the names rather than the words had too many possible meanings or something. Localizing comes with there's a word that is too rigid or emotionless, or engrishy, or anything that deserves to be changed. Not for something so simple as a name ._.

Most of those names don't work as names at all in english. Think of what Chap means in english. It's like a friend or something, I always imagine British people calling their friend "mate" or "chap." And english speakers for the most part would not want to try correctly pronouncing Soanevalke or Dalahowe. Bole and Lofa once again just don't sound right in english as names. These translations mainly make things easier in areas that have no reason to be frustrating.

Most of those names don't work as names at all in english. Think of what Chap means in english. It's like a friend or something, I always imagine British people calling their friend "mate" or "chap." And english speakers for the most part would not want to try correctly pronouncing Soanevalke or Dalahowe. Bole and Lofa once again just don't sound right in english as names. These translations mainly make things easier in areas that have no reason to be frustrating.

this

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Lancer? Lancer? What the hell were they smoking while they were setting up for EU release?

Such a boring name for a unit...

Lancer is closer to the japanese name, though.

EDIT: Astrum is worse though, MUCH worse.

Edited by Big Klingy

Soanevalcke at least has the only technical excuse for a name chance, albeit a small one: the name is larger than nine characters (in English), which appears to be the maximum amount able to be displayed before it runs off its plaque. But they could've just removed a few unneeded vowels or a 'c' or something and been relatively fine. Dalahowe has no excuse becoming Devdan; Chap becoming Brom; Bole becoming Boyd; and Lofa becoming Rolf. Hell, many of the changes serve no real purpose--it seems more like one of the translations didn't like the names rather than the words had too many possible meanings or something. Localizing comes with there's a word that is too rigid or emotionless, or engrishy, or anything that deserves to be changed. Not for something so simple as a name ._.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that I find it quite funny you guys are getting mad at such little changes. No offense, of course.

Secondly, you have to remember that NoA is comprised of... *gasp* Americans. I doubt that most people on the translation staff found that Lofa or Bole or anything was such a good name that it didn't need to be changed. They probably localized it so that newer Fire Emblem users didn't have to spend 3 hours figuring out what the hell type of name that is. As Fox noted, Chap is a term used for friend. That's like calling a character "Acquaintance". Dalahowe, yet again, seems too odd for newer Fire Emblem players.

There's no way in hell NoA would EVER let a character named Soanevalcke into the game. Seriously, man, this doesn't even need explination.

• 4 weeks later...

I would've loved there to be some indication when Haar and co. join Ike in Part 3. At first it's like, "WTF Heather" and then you notice everyone else.

As well as Nailah meeting Caineghis, and Reyson meeting Rafiel. Seriously, wut?

As for the off-topic at hand, Ettard should've been Zelgius' sword, IMO.