A tsunami of questions

Thanks for all the help guys. If this doesn't come to NA, I will import the EU version(hopefully a bundle). I just wanted to settle once and for all who can get what skills. Lightning speed is too great a skill to pass up

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a question, am i allowed to switch skills between characters, say make MU into a dark pegasus and learn lightning speed and then trade that to velvet?

No. The only way to transfer skills is through inheritance.

A silly question for the folks familiar with parenting.

Since Mark's appearance is influenced by the "other parent" in any MY pairing...

Does that mean a MU paired with Basilio/Flavia results in a dark-skinned/dark-haired Mark?

... I'm genuinely curious.

A silly question for the folks familiar with parenting.

Since Mark's appearance is influenced by the "other parent" in any MY pairing...

Does that mean a MU paired with Basilio/Flavia results in a dark-skinned/dark-haired Mark?

... I'm genuinely curious.

As far as I know, no. The only impact I've ever seen the other parent have is hair color. Even when MU is paired with a Manakete or Taguel and Mark inherits the characteristics and transformation option, he/she does not get a changed appearance correspondingly, despite Chambray and Unn, the former similarly have-Taguel and the latter half-Manekete, do have the appearance, like pointed ears.

Is Lightning Speed really that great a skill? It really doesn't seem like that big a deal. An extra turn sounds great at first, but an extra attack/kill is pretty insignificant when you're up against large numbers, and the extra movement doesn't seem terribly desirable either with how open the maps usually are and how it's preferable to keep your units together over letting one run ahead of the pack.

I can see it being useful for support units though, to sneak in a kill before a cry or help them maneuver into place to heal someone. But a straightforward extra attack isn't really worth it when most of your kills take place during enemy rounds.

Edited by Striped Shirt

Is Lightning Speed really that great a skill? It really doesn't seem like that big a deal. An extra turn sounds great at first, but an extra attack/kill is pretty insignificant when you're up against large numbers, and the extra movement doesn't seem terribly desirable either with how open the maps usually are and how it's preferable to keep your units together over letting one run ahead of the pack.

I can see it being useful for support units though, to sneak in a kill before a cry or help them maneuver into place to heal someone. But a straightforward extra attack isn't really worth it when most of your kills take place during enemy rounds.

I can see what will probably be a very common scenario: Unit w/ Lightning Speed dives into enemy army, kills someone, then runs away so they won't get killed during EP. It'll probably be pretty useful for training up children characters since they start kinda behind your army.

Basically, Lightning Speed is ridiculously useful because of it's flexibility. You can heal twice in one turn, run and kill, cry two different parts of you army, etc.

And who in the world would say no to a free dance? what other skill would you put in its place? Concentration? Hot start?

Edited by ThreeofSpades

Oh hey, I've got a question too, actually. Do skills like Astra and Lethality work for any class once you've got the skill? Like, if you have a Sniper with Astra, they can still use it, right? I haven't read anywhere that says otherwise, so I'm assuming that'll work, but I wanted to make sure in advance so I don't go getting any useless skills.

I can see what will probably be a very common scenario: Unit w/ Lightning Speed dives into enemy army, kills someone, then runs away so they won't get killed during EP. It'll probably be pretty useful for training up children characters since they start kinda behind your army.

Basically, Lightning Speed is ridiculously useful because of it's flexibility. <b>You can heal twice in one turn</b>, run and kill, <b>cry two different parts of you army</b>, etc.

And who in the world would say no to a free dance? what other skill would you put in its place? Concentration? Hot start?

Uh.. What exactly do you mean.? You do realize Lightning speed only activates when you kill an enemy. It's a "free" dance with a condition attached. You can't heal twice our cry twice.

But I agree, I feel lightning speed is being, err... "overhyped" as one if the best abilities. Maybe weapon saver to have more uses for holy weapons or forges. Lightning speed might be useful for LTCers, keep advancing the map with your high move unit.

Uh.. What exactly do you mean.? You do realize Lightning speed only activates when you kill an enemy. It's a "free" dance with a condition attached. You can't heal twice our cry twice.

But I agree, I feel lightning speed is being, err... "overhyped" as one if the best abilities. Maybe weapon saver to have more uses for holy weapons or forges. Lightning speed might be useful for LTCers, keep advancing the map with your high move unit.

Whoops...missed the condition. :facepalm: But almost-free dance still sounds great for training scrubs (which i enjoy doing for some reason). But, and this has happened to me several times already, what if your Fredrick or Krom suddenly got surrounded by enemy units and WOULD have survive EP were it not for that one extra enemy who scored a lucky hit whom you could have taken out with Lightning Speed on (I'm bitter)? And I'm sure it'd be a god-send in the Lunatic modes where I don't think anyone can stand an EP wave by themselves besides Freddy (not that I'd ever play them...).

And I still stand by my position in that it's one of the better (if not best) skills you can hand off, along with Rainbow Cry. Only issue I see with it is it's REALLY hard to get (or else it'd probably be really broken).

Speaking of which, for anyone who's played on the harder modes, what's the viabilitiy of the children characters on Lunatic? Is it possible to train them without spending large amounts of time or resources, or are they just pseudo-Ninos? Because that would really stop my Lightning Speed for scrub training argument... :P:

Edited by ThreeofSpades

Whoops...missed the condition. :facepalm: But almost-free dance still sounds great for training scrubs (which i enjoy doing for some reason). But, and this has happened to me several times already, what if your Fredrick or Krom suddenly got surrounded by enemy units and WOULD have survive EP were it not for that one extra enemy who scored a lucky hit whom you could have taken out with Lightning Speed on (I'm bitter)? And I'm sure it'd be a god-send in the Lunatic modes (not that I'd ever play them...).

And I still stand by my position in that it's one of the better (if not best) skills you can hand off, along with Rainbow Cry. Only issue I see with it is it's REALLY hard to get (or else it'd probably be really broken).

Speaking of which, for anyone who's played on the harder modes, what's the viabilitiy of the children characters on Lunatic? Is it possible to train them without spending large amounts of time or resources, or are they just pseudo-Ninos? Because that would really stop my Lightning Speed for scrub training argument... :P:

I would assume I'm lunatic mode, thanks to those enemy only skills they get, that your units are trying to avoid getting hit a lot if times instead of going for the kill. In that regards, L.S would help your unit to run away, not kill more. So yeah L.S might be good for that situation.

Oh yeah, and it would introduce this hilarious situation

Turn 1: Nosferatu-guy doubles carrier griffon knight w/ LS. Flies. Kills random scrub. Flies to high density enemy army and switches nosferatank to the front.

Much lulz will be had.

Oh yeah, and it would introduce this hilarious situation

Turn 1: Nosferatu-guy doubles carrier griffon knight w/ LS. Flies. Kills random scrub. Flies to high density enemy army and switches nosferatank to the front.

Much lulz will be had.

That is an intresting situation and there it would be useful. I guess L.S would be useful in the right situation. But still, other abilities like Rainbow cry and weapon saver would also be as useful as L.S

That is an intresting situation and there it would be useful. I guess L.S would be useful in the right situation. But still, other abilities like Rainbow cry and weapon saver would also be as useful as L.S

I never said it was DA BEST, just really good. But considering the pros around here consider LTC and hard/lunatic setting first and foremost, I wouldn't be surprised if they believe it to be a lot more important than say, Weapon Saver (which you'll probably only need early game when you can't buy killers).

Lightning Speed is amazing. If there are a lot of enemies around, killing a second important one with more freedom in moving is still extremely useful. Definitely the best skill next to Rainbow Cry.

Oh hey, I've got a question too, actually. Do skills like Astra and Lethality work for any class once you've got the skill? Like, if you have a Sniper with Astra, they can still use it, right? I haven't read anywhere that says otherwise, so I'm assuming that'll work, but I wanted to make sure in advance so I don't go getting any useless skills.

Testing it with Sol as a Demon Fighter, Lethality works just fine with tomes, and I know Astra works with anything. So any combination should work.

Actually. Another question.

Do skills like "Secluded Lady" apply the effect for doubled units? For example, Mark(F)((And Brady, by extension)) inherits Secluded Lady from Mariabel. If I doubled her with Brady, say, would he get the bonus from it?

Basically, is the effect a 1-3 tile effect? Or a 0-3 tile effect?

Actually. Another question.

Do skills like "Secluded Lady" apply the effect for doubled units? For example, Mark(F)((And Brady, by extension)) inherits Secluded Lady from Mariabel. If I doubled her with Brady, say, would he get the bonus from it?

Basically, is the effect a 1-3 tile effect? Or a 0-3 tile effect?

Yeah, it's 0-3. Similarly, Magic Square is really 0-1.

How well do you think Cullum would do as a thief?

He'd have to start a bit of a ways into the game with E Swords and likely awkward stats. I'm sure he'd do fine in the long run, but it seems like one of his less practical options.

He'd have to start a bit of a ways into the game with E Swords and likely awkward stats. I'm sure he'd do fine in the long run, but it seems like one of his less practical options.

I'd imagine his really high defense(55%) growth would really help out as thief.

Do you think Cullum would do better as a priest?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

What would be that "magic speed number" for towards endgame. I mean in FE 10, the speed would be 34 plus Nasir's white tide mounts to double the bosses. What about for this game. Or good endgame classes?

FE10 endgame has a magic speed number because it has shitty enemy design. FE13 doesn't.

Looking at FE13 HM endgame, there's a Great Knight with 21 Spd and a Swordmaster with 38 Spd, and enemies of every other class with just about every Spd number in between. There's absolutely no consistent way to deal with that.

I'd imagine his really high defense(55%) growth would really help out as thief.

Do you think Cullum would do better as a priest?

It's really hard to do much with a low staff rank and low Mag stat past the beginning of the game, so that would probably just be worse.

Edited by Othin