Brides. . . really?

My headcanon has Echidna promoting from a Fighter to Hero ala FE8 (who cares that branched wasn't in FE6) due to her higher axe rank.

Ah yes, Echidna (who I usually don't remember because I've never played FE6). Pretty much, my point is that there are women in FE who have physiques that would be suitable for fighter. It's not like "fighter" is dressed so inappropriately that it'd be hard to make a "fighter" palette for women. Likewise, male pegasus knights and troubadours could just wear pants (like wyvern riders).

I know that in Elibe, pegasi only accept women. But it never said anything of the sort in other FE games, right?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus 3DS is all new models anyway so really, they could've just made a model with boobs when they were in their 3D program of choice. Usually in romhacking we don't have these classes be completely unisexed is due to animations being a dick and a half to make and to make them competently, even just edits, takes skills and about 5-10x the time you'd put into a custom portrait (20 or more times for a full custom animation unless you're some speed-spriting prodigy). I'm very slowly working on a female beserker though. And I mean slowly (since I have several more animations to make) and I'm hoping that someone else makes fighter/warrior set and Sploder fixes his Pirate because making even one set of animation is extremely time-consuming and I don't want to end up making about 5.

But I'm sure if we actually had full animations that are worth a shit they'd be more prevalent in the romhacking community.

Edited by Fat Bunny

I just think everyone should go into whatever class that fits them regardless of sex.

That's generally what most JRPG games go for, including Fire Emblem. Modular aspects (what a character/entity utilizes) are supposed to reflect the character--in this case, there's something thematically-driving which makes Eirika take this class of Bride, most likely. The modular aspects aren't necessarily going to be based on utility or context, but they're going to further embellish a character's intended traits. The symbolic meaning is what's sought after.

I think the pegasus thing stems from the old myth that unicorns would only allow young maidens approach them

That myth is in regards to unicorns. Unicorns =/= pegasus. However, it could be a case that IS mixed up the two mythical creatures anyway. Or they may have decided that a flying white horse was just too delicate looking for a male fighter or something silly like that. Just like they probably bar females from fighter/berserker from their rough natures, lower intelligence (unless it's Brolan) and roughed-up attire (except Brolan again, maybe Boyd).

I've searched for a while for an explanation about why only women are pegasus knights, and this is the only thing I've found.

FARINA: Yes! Pegasi will only allow women to ride them! So only women can be Pegasus knights. The men just work the terraced vegetable fields in the mountains.

Granted, this doesn't really explain WHY they only allow women to ride them, but I guess it's enough reason as to why men can't.

Edited by 1st Mate Bob

women-only pegasi only holds for Elibe, though, as I haven't seen evidence other than it being an all-female class in any other game, especially since in FE1/3 male dracos exist (though that's also the game with the male-looking generics). While that could be explained by reclass in 11/12. Reclass didn't exist in 1/3.

Are you sure the dracos are guys in that game? Maybe Michalis is just extremely masculine.

Then there's TRS, where Pegasus Knights still promote to Dracoknights, but Raffin also has an event promotion to become a Dracoknight from his horse-mounted class despite being a guy, acting as a potential explanation for other male Dracos there and elsewhere.

In response to the actual thread topic:

I think Eirika looks gorgeous in her artwork, and I wouldn't mind it even it was the artwork displayed despite her reclassing. She's gentle, kind, naive, and even innocent. I feel the class is well suited to her, if only in light of the "purity" aspect of it. I can understand the stink behind why the people who don't like it, but I think it's thinking way too deep on it considering the different cultures. That said, aside from a few rough spots, I enjoyed reading the discussion from both sides and think it was handled fairly well for internet discussion. Kudos.

:):

On a somewhat unrelated note:

The day they let us have dancers that can use staves and are potentially male options is the day I will be a truly happy FE camper.(And don't tell me Xane couldn't have been a Dancer in the Shadow Dragon. >:[ I personally found the mimic thing a tad lolsy.)

Back on topic: I agree that I'll be a bit surprised if Eirika can't use swords at all with the class, though I'm sure they wouldn't go that far. It's not like fighting with swords in an elaborate dress hasn't been done before. See: Estelle from Tales of Vesperia. She pulls it off more than well enough.

Edited by Yziikhiravi

AFAIK Xane can't dance even turned into a dancer anyway. I wanted to use him as a second dancer so I made him transform into Feena on my FE12 run, but instead he spent 5 turns being absolutely useless :/

Are you sure the dracos are guys in that game? Maybe Michalis is just extremely masculine.

I kicked them where it hurts and they went splat so yes

Edited by Fat Bunny

women-only pegasi only holds for Elibe, though, as I haven't seen evidence other than it being an all-female class in any other game, especially since in FE1/3 male dracos exist (though that's also the game with the male-looking generics). While that could be explained by reclass in 11/12. Reclass didn't exist in 1/3.

But do we even know that all dracos started as pegasus riders? It's not like all mages in FE6 promote to sage guinevere. If units don't all promote to the same thing, it would make sense that not all promoted classes might promote from the same class.

(Ya, I know we don't see guinevere promote from mage, but the same holds true for minerva and any other dragon knight in the game promoting from peg knight)

I could also speculate (so hey it's not worth much) that since peg riders become falcon knights in FE2, the fact that they promote to dragon knights in 1 and 3 is more about the availability of such mounts on Akaniea.

Isn't TRS also the only game where a foot unit can promote to Pegasus Knight?

No, in Shining Force II knights on foot can promote to peg knights.

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

But do we even know that all dracos started as pegasus riders? It's not like all mages in FE6 promote to sage guinevere. If units don't all promote to the same thing, it would make sense that not all promoted classes might promote from the same class.

As far as I know, all PCs of class of x will promote to y and not z, and all the PCs of class w will promote to z and not y, with the exception of FE8/13 branched promotions and FE5's Fighter/Swordfighter->Hero, Swordfighter->SM/Hero, Mage/Sister/Bard->Sage, and Mage->Sage/MK scenarios, so it could be game-dependent or it could just be the devs wanting to save space on the roms when they came to GBA and just didn't think of it prior to FE5.

But whatever the standard for PCs are, I tend to hold this standard for the enemies, as well, but something outside of the PC standard could be a possibility. Hell, it'd explain why some prepromotes have higher weapon levels in a weapon that's usually considered a secondary for their class, like Echidna with her axes (I do hold her as a fighter before promotion in my headcanon but that's just because I really want f fighters to exist and this is the best I'm getting).

Edited by Fat Bunny

But whatever the standard for PCs are, I tend to hold this standard for the enemies, as well, but something outside of the PC standard could be a possibility. Hell, it'd explain why some prepromotes have higher weapon levels in a weapon that's usually considered a secondary for their class, like Echidna with her axes (I do hold her as a fighter before promotion in my headcanon but that's just because I really want f fighters to exist and this is the best I'm getting).

There's also the possibility of units (not necessarily PCs) in promo'd classes having never been a lower rank. Shanam, for example, seems to be a swordmaster primarily through the virtue/necessity of physically resembling Shanan - his combat stats are worse than base lvl Shiva's. Senators in Begnion in FE9-10 were also likely high ranking clergy without ever having started as low level priests, since a lot of them are nobles (especially the named senators among the antagonists of FE10). With a mind to dragon knights in particular, it seems possible that they wouldn't start every rider on pegasus only and then move them to dragon only once they reached a certain rank or level of skill (what if there's a demand glut for pegasi and a supply glut for dragons, or vice versa?).

Now I want to hack FE4 to make a promotion event for Sigurd when Alvis names him a Holy Knight of Grandbell (when giving the silver sword) where Sigurd gets +0 to everything and makes a comment like "I don't feel any different" a la Ike.

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

As far as FE3 dragon/pegasus knights go at least, don't forget that the enemy Pegasus Knights have a sprite different from the Pegasus Sisters, even different from their brief stint as enemies. So, they might really have been male pegasus knights there before promoting, even if IS never intended to give us any playable male pegasus knights and changed the generic ones too in the later remakes.

Edited by NeonZ

Then there's TRS, where Pegasus Knights still promote to Dracoknights, but Raffin also has an event promotion to become a Dracoknight from his horse-mounted class despite being a guy, acting as a potential explanation for other male Dracos there and elsewhere.

Doesn't matter. TearRing Saga isn't a Fire Emblem game.

AFAIK Xane can't dance even turned into a dancer anyway. I wanted to use him as a second dancer so I made him transform into Feena on my FE12 run, but instead he spent 5 turns being absolutely useless :/

Nooooo~. But he looks like one. :< That's what matters. Though, Tethys was my favorite Dancer by far. I couldn't stand Ninian with her lazy magic-twirly-scarf-spin.

I don't mind Ninian. Her animation is lazy, but a modestly-dressed elegant dancer is refreshing and nicely different, IMO. I agree that her animation is really boring though it doesn't bother me as much since I play on turbo with animations off most of the time :B

Tethy's animation is cool, yeah. I'd totally make a male dancer except 1)lazy 2)time consuming 3) unlike making up fighting poses I really can't dance at all so I'll have a harder time making up moves :B

Edited by Fat Bunny

I don't mind Ninian. Her animation is lazy, but a modestly-dressed elegant dancer is refreshing and nicely different, IMO. I agree that her animation is really boring though it doesn't bother me as much since I play on turbo with animations off most of the time :B

Tethy's animation is cool, yeah. I'd totally make a male dancer except 1)lazy 2)time consuming 3) unlike making up fighting poses I really can't dance at all so I'll have a harder time making up moves :B

I can't argue with Ninian's outfit or even her concept as a character. Loved her outfit too. I thought her and Eliwood made a great pairing.

I just have a thing for desert-themed characters and junk, which Tethys exudes to me(though she probably isn't from one, if I recall). :3

Totally steering topic back on track nao. dry.gif

Bride(Support)

-Special Dance(Would have to be through Baby-making)

-Speed/Rainbow Cry

-Secluded Lady

-Dual Support+

Not sure about the fifth skill, and I know these aren't 1337 h4x skills, but I'm thinking more theme than uber effectiveness. Thoughts?

Edited by Yziikhiravi

I can't argue with Ninian's outfit or even her concept as a character. Loved her outfit too. I thought her and Eliwood made a great pairing.

I just have a thing for desert-themed characters and junk, which Tethys exudes to me(though she probably isn't from one, if I recall). :3

Totally steering topic back on track nao. dry.gif

Bride(Support)

-Special Dance(Would have to be through Baby-making)

-Speed/Rainbow Cry

-Secluded Lady

-Dual Support+

Not sure about the fifth skill, and I know these aren't 1337 h4x skills, but I'm thinking more theme than uber effectiveness. Thoughts?

What about Charisma, Magic Square or Healing Heart?