The World of Fire Emblem (article)

Looks like Donny's supports will reveal a shitton of FE lore, people should translate more of his supports

The Donny x Olivia Support was the one, that gave us the hints about the Leanne x Naesala story.

Maybe all of his supports have connections to other FEs?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% clear on the game's lore, but in my endeavour to solve the first Holy King's mystery, I stumbled upon Marth's description on the background site.

Unless I'm reading this wrong...

Marth is the Hero King who saved the world from destruction long long ago.

Legends tell of him vanquishing the evil dragon with a sword blessed by the divine dragon.

Don't tell me I have to go full circle and start believing Marth really is the first Holy King. Still, I find it curious how they never refer to Marth as the Holy King. Maybe the "evil dragon" referred to here is Medeus, rather than Gimle?

I just can't believe that Marth could save the world not twice, but thrice.

Edited by VincentASM

Wasn't the 'Holy king' a thousand years after the 'Hero King'(Marth), though?

And that's the main problem.

Just five weeks from Wednesday night and we should get some answers.

Wasn't the 'Holy king' a thousand years after the 'Hero King'(Marth), though?

I didn't bother mentioning it in the article, but I'm not 100% sure if it's been exactly 1000 years since Gimle's demise.

The term they use, 千年前, is very slightly ambiguous and I think it could mean "thousands of years", but it seems most Japanese fans (and I) read it as "one thousand years".

Edited by VincentASM

I didn't bother mentioning it in the article, but I'm not 100% sure if it's been exactly 1000 years since Gimle's demise.

The term they use, 千年前, is very slightly ambiguous and I think it could mean "thousands of years", but it seems most Japanese fans (and I) read it as "one thousand years".

Poking around a bit with Google Translate, it seems 数千年前 is a more specific way to express "thousands of years ago" specifically as opposed to just "one thousand years ago". So correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if they wanted to make it clear that they were referring to multiple millennia as opposed to just one, they did have a term available: it's possible they chose not to use it, but I'm not sure why they would omit the clarity if that was the intended meaning.

If I was saying specifically one thousand years ago, I'd go with 一千年前, but that's just Chinese. Not sure if Japanese is the same way, but they did borrow a lot from Chinese, so...

IMO they might just be trying to be intentionally vague about it.

If I was saying specifically one thousand years ago, I'd go with 一千年前, but that's just Chinese. Not sure if Japanese is the same way, but they did borrow a lot from Chinese, so...

IMO they might just be trying to be intentionally vague about it.

Well, the character you added is also in Japanese, so it seems like it should work. Google Translate translates 一千年前 as "a thousand years ago", so yeah.

On the other hand, having it translate "a thousand years ago" or "one thousand years ago" into Japanese still just gets 千年前. So it seems it's a valid way of expressing it, but based on my very uneducated guesses, I'm getting the impression that people just tend to not express it that way in Japanese. Which is, again, an indication that the "one" might be understood, that in Japanese 千年前 might only be used to refer to one thousand years as opposed to more.

And of course I must emphasize once more that these are all really just guesses speaking as someone who knows little Japanese.

Edited by Othin

All this talk about the difference between "Hero King" and "Holy King" has really got me thinking. Though it's likely irrelevant, I didn't notice something interesting. All of the DLC characters receive a title. (I.E. Hero King Marth, Young Lion Roy, Restoration King Ephraim, etc.) While Marth's DLC title is Hero King, I find it somewhat intriguing to notice that Alm's title is "Holy King Alm." So as far as the difference between Holy King and Hero King, I'm seeing three possibilities.

1) Alm is the Holy King, or perhaps some ancestor of his was the Holy King. (Marth + Alm = Cousins?! :D)

2) The Holy King was from ancient Barensia, not Arkaneia. This or course would portray the Hero King title as Arkanean only, and the Holy King title as Barensian only, but that seems unlikely.

3) It's completely unrelated and it is merely referencing the ending dialogue of Gaiden where Alm is referred to as a Holy King.

I know the first one seems extremely unlikely, but I thought it was worth noting.

So the Holy King, Krom's ancestor, now has close identity ties with three FE lords: Marth, Alm, and Ike.

...Are we sure those three aren't all the same person?

Well, from what I understand of Japanese, you wouldn't say 一千 to mean one thousand, because while we go in multiples of one thousand (one, ten, hundred, one thousand, ten thousand, hundred thousand, one million, etc.) they go in multiples of ten thousand (いち、十,千、一万, 十万、百万). Like how we wouldn't say one-ten million.

So the Holy King, Krom's ancestor, now has close identity ties with three FE lords: Marth, Alm, and Ike.

...Are we sure those three aren't all the same person?

Judging from the plot of Kakusei, I see an amnesia trend.

Triple Amnesia. Timeline solved

It just occurs to me how odd it is that MU, who has amnesia, is the only one who can marry Emelina, who has amnesia, and they in turn have Mark, who also has amnesia.

It just occurs to me how odd it is that MU, who has amnesia, is the only one who can marry Emelina, who has amnesia, and they in turn have Mark, who also has amnesia.

Well we all know that amnesia is genetic.

Well, from what I understand of Japanese, you wouldn't say 一千 to mean one thousand, because while we go in multiples of one thousand (one, ten, hundred, one thousand, ten thousand, hundred thousand, one million, etc.) they go in multiples of ten thousand (いち、十,千、一万, 十万、百万). Like how we wouldn't say one-ten million.

In Chinese we also go by increments of ten thousand, but we still say 一千 to refer to specifically one thousand and not just 千 unless we're trying to condense sentences for a title, or something. And then I can think of a few cases with it referring to multiple thousands, as well. I'm not sure if it works exactly the same in Chinese as in Japanese despite them kinda using our characters, so someone get TE on this, please.

Edited by Fat Bunny

...This is probably the best case of irony I've read in a while.

But what does his mean for Alm? I mean, I just found his ending, and it says:

In ages to come, this is what was passed down:

'He who sundered the evil chains of the gods

And established this thousand-year reign

Must never be forgotten: Our Holy King, Alm the First!

But what does his mean for Alm? I mean, I just found his ending, and it says:

In ages to come, this is what was passed down:

'He who sundered the evil chains of the gods

And established this thousand-year reign

Must never be forgotten: Our Holy King, Alm the First!

Wait, that's his FE2 ending?

That... wow.

So Alm is the Holy King and Caeda supported Alm? Wonder what Marth did.

My goodness this is some crazy stuff.

That and it was 1000 years later than Marth and Alm lived.

And let's not forget that the Holy King is also Ike and Paris.