Super Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations Planning Thread

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got a point. FEXP is just annoying in general and I personally hate the controls. They're fucked up, and if anything, While FEXP is easier to work with, it's slow and you have NO save states. If you feel it should have no place in the contest, then ban it.

That's not quite my point, my point was basically that he doesn't need to stress himself over it.

If nothing else' date=' ROMs are better optimized and don't have clunky controls and tons of annoying glitches. I'd go as far as to say ROM hacks, while not very friendly to make, are a lot friendlier to play.

That said, I really don't like FEXP, and I don't really feel it should have a place in this contest.[/quote']

He's got a point. FEXP is just annoying in general and I personally hate the controls. They're fucked up, and if anything, While FEXP is easier to work with, it's slow and you have NO save states. If you feel it should have no place in the contest, then ban it.

Nice copy-paste. I doubt you've ever actually played a FEXP game yourself, as it's really not that slow if you have a decent post-2009 computer. If you're running windows Vista or better it should run at full speed with little lag, and possibly even faster than the average game made in RMXP. Just because it doesn't include a GS button that hyperspeeds everything doesn't make it slow, as it's at roughly the exact same speed as if you were playing on a GBA. Most people are just too pampered with the emulators and their speedup buttons to realize it's really quite a good speed.

Also, I just stated that it does indeed have a save system, scripted by one of my coders. I could also easily expand it to have more than one savestate, no problem, because he added that capability as well. However, for the purpose of my ragefest, I decided not to, because I thought one savestate was more than fair enough.

and I personally hate the controls. They're fucked up, and if anything,

The controls are actually quite smart. X = confirm, Z = cancel, S = Unit info, and A = next unit, along with spacebar being enemy moverange. I'm quite comfortable with them because, to be blunt, I'm not canadian.

Edited by Adolf Klokler

However......................... you are not Trent :3

Klok, bro, it's time to give it a rest. You and PK are, like, the only people who use FEXP. Peeps just prefer ROMs.

I just got a PM from BooMansion today, he's secretly been adding all the GBA FE classes into FEXP, multiple unimplemented skills from FE4, 5, 9, and 10 into FEXP, and a bunch of special weapons from FE4 and FE5 which are totally BA.

I think FEXP is about to make a humongous leap forwards when we release this :3

Edited by Adolf Klokler

I just got a PM from BooMansion today, he's secretly been adding all the GBA FE classes into FEXP, multiple unimplemented skills from FE4, 5, 9, and 10 into FEXP, and a bunch of special weapons from FE4 and FE5 which are totally BA.

When it's as easy to use as the console/handheld RPGMakers, I'll agree.

are the controls fixed or something? how hard is it to allow customizable buttons...?

Edited by Celice

When it's as easy to use as the console/handheld RPGMakers, I'll agree.

are the controls fixed or something? how hard is it to allow customizable buttons...?

Pressing F1 ingame lets you customize the buttons, actually.

Fixing up the code (implementing everything from GBA FE and optimizing the speed) would have a much bigger impact

Coding isn't my forte though, I just work with the tools I'm given and I have learned to add animations and some other resources to FEXP. Unless Yeti, the original coder, goes back to reoptimize his code, or we wait a whole year for another scripter to read all the code and learn it front and back, then fix it, it's unlikely to be optimized any more anytime soon.

Though I'd love it if it was optimized, I don't see it happening anytime soon. So, I'll just continue adding all the GBA graphic resources until everything is in FEXP, then maybe I'll try and learn to either code some essential systems or pay someone else to do so.

I'm going to be watching, map design's always more fun when you're tormenting people!

Edited by Folgore Red

Update:

I've decided that the nature of the contest needs to be changed.

What do you mean by this, Marky?

Well, random voice in my head, what I mean is that the contest needs to aim to be more about entertaining the viewers.

The goal of Ragefest 1 was to make a submission that would troll the living hell out of me. This has been the main focus ever since, but it sometimes doesn't result in an entertaining video. For example, people implement stuff like disabling the options menu (PwnageKirby's submission), which do nothing to make the video more entertaining to watch, and only serve to annoy me. Sometimes, these annoying factors end up ruining my commentary enthusiasm, which really hurts the viewing experience.

The contest would be a lot more fun for both me and the viewers if we put greater emphasis on making the submission entertaining. And if something is meant to annoy me, it should be done with the intent of entertaining the viewer (Such as getting an enormous emotional reaction out of me, or introducing a new factor into the submission that makes it more interesting)

Does this sound fair?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Hmmm... I know a way that will entertain your viewers... Oh, I know many MANY ways... As I've said before, I have a VERY special trap planned for you, Marc... Yes... *evil grin*

Edited by Bladehero22