Rate the Unit: Day 40 - Soren

So why exactly is it automatically assumed Calill is getting a crown, or any of the CRKs for that matter, when they're joining up with the GMs in literally two chapters?

This. I don't get why people are assuming that Calill (or Marcia for that matter) are entitled to lots of resources, when you consider that:

- BEXP dumping on Haar, Nephenee, or Mordecai is better than giving it to the CRKs since they join up with the GMs much earlier.

- Nephenee, Brom, Heather, or Haar can transfer items to the GMs in chapter 3-2.

- The Master Crown in 3-9 and the BEXP from 2-E can be transferred to the GMs very quickly if you just put off using them in chapter 3-9.

The only resources that Marcia and Calill are entitled to are Paragon or Adept for chapter 3-9, since there's so little competition for them and they can be given to someone else later. Any other resources come at a cost, and some of them are steep if they involve taking resources that the GMs could've put to use for several chapters while Calill and Marcia don't even exist.

Edited by OrangeCrush

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of average in damage dealing, and he has speed problems throughout the game, as well as huge defensive problems. And I hate his face.

(4.5-1)/10

3.5/10

Edited by Folgore Blue

Pros:

+Wind got a MT buff

+Adept

+Hits his Wind Sage caps early, so his HP and speed are easy to fix with bexp

+Probably makes the best use of arms scrolls to become a great staffer with 40 mag

+Dark affinity

Cons:

-The squishiest Greil Merc, especially at base level

-Oh jeez his base HP/speed/luck/defence is bad

-Other typical mage problems

-Can't go to the desert with the other mages

-4-E overall sucks for mages

Oh Soren, why does your speed suck so much now? His cap was pretty high in PoR at 28, but his RD cap is now 32, which, by the standards of this game, is not very good. He also has a smell 35% speed growth and base 18 speed, so your chances are, Soren risks getting into doubled territory. The good news is, Soren caps magic, skill, and speed within about 5 levels so he can shore up his defences. But without bexp, the rest of Soren's stats are going to be pretty bad. I'm not actually sure I'd say non-transfer Soren is better than non-transfer Calill. Calill is at least going to be able to double things faster while Soren is struggling to simply not get doubled. Calill gets her choice of chapters while Soren is glued to Ike. In Easy/Normal mode I'd probably say Soren is better because his mag is so high and bexp is so available to help out his HP and speed, but Calill's higher speed growth and access to Rexflame makes her stand out. In retrospect I overrated Calill from her better endgame, assuming that Nihil was left on her.

Soren is still a respectable GM who hits hard and caps stats fast. Adept is great when it procs. He'd be so much better off if Rexcalibur gave a better stat boost than luck of all things. Becomes amazing with a physic staff because of his sky high magic, but sadly he can't use Fortify.

I'll give Soren a 6/10, and I'm going to give him a +1 bias for 7/10. Soren's one of my favourite characters and is the best Ike-ship with a great, but tragic, backstory.

Pros:

+Wind got a MT buff

+Adept

+Hits his Wind Sage caps early, so his HP and speed are easy to fix with bexp

+Probably makes the best use of arms scrolls to become a great staffer with 40 mag

+Dark affinity

Cons:

-The squishiest Greil Merc, especially at base level

-Oh jeez his base HP/speed/luck/defence is bad

-Other typical mage problems

-Can't go to the desert with the other mages

-4-E overall sucks for mages

Oh Soren, why does your speed suck so much now? His cap was pretty high in PoR at 28, but his RD cap is now 32, which, by the standards of this game, is not very good. He also has a smell 35% speed growth and base 18 speed, so your chances are, Soren risks getting into doubled territory. The good news is, Soren caps magic, skill, and speed within about 5 levels so he can shore up his defences. But without bexp, the rest of Soren's stats are going to be pretty bad. I'm not actually sure I'd say non-transfer Soren is better than non-transfer Calill. Calill is at least going to be able to double things faster while Soren is struggling to simply not get doubled. Calill gets her choice of chapters while Soren is glued to Ike. In Easy/Normal mode I'd probably say Soren is better because his mag is so high and bexp is so available to help out his HP and speed, but Calill's higher speed growth and access to Rexflame makes her stand out. In retrospect I overrated Calill from her better endgame, assuming that Nihil was left on her.

Soren is still a respectable GM who hits hard and caps stats fast. Adept is great when it procs. He'd be so much better off if Rexcalibur gave a better stat boost than luck of all things. Becomes amazing with a physic staff because of his sky high magic, but sadly he can't use Fortify.

I'll give Soren a 6/10, and I'm going to give him a +1 bias for 7/10. Soren's one of my favourite characters and is the best Ike-ship with a great, but tragic, backstory.

No real complaints with most of this, but why mention arms scrolls??? I don't get it... Especially since most arms scrolls have to be bought from the bargain bin (and personally, I'd say there's bettter uses for 8 grand).

No real complaints with most of this, but why mention arms scrolls??? I don't get it... Especially since most arms scrolls have to be bought from the bargain bin (and personally, I'd say there's bettter uses for 8 grand).

You can find a couple hidden arms scrolls with no one else to really use them. I wouldn't ever buy from the shop either, but you have the possibility of getting up to 7 arms scrolls from hidden tiles alone.

You can find a couple hidden arms scrolls with no one else to really use them. I wouldn't ever buy from the shop either, but you have the possibility of getting up to 7 arms scrolls from hidden tiles alone.

Fair enough, though I'd take the hidden ones and sell them first chance I got - I consider them that useless aside from 4-E. There's also Discipline...

Edited by Golden Cucco

*Skims thread*

Flavio hates you all.

I will never understand why Hard mode is the defining standard here. Ever.

Soren, smartest guy on Tellius. (next to Sephiran, really)

Pros:

Good availability.

Adept.

Highest Magic growth bar Micaiah.

Transfers are kind to him.

Possibly the best non-healer-class staffer.

Cons:

Defense is on the low side.

Speed cap (at 2 tier) is low.

Lowish move.

Soren is probably your best mage. Calill is good but has availability issues, Tormod is non-existent, and Ilyana just plain sucks. His magic growth is cray cray. He can support with Ike for a +30 to avoid and he wants that. When he promotes, he can use staves a lot better than the other mages. Discipline helps that staff level climb in a matter of like three chapters max. Adept helps him double early on and can help him double before a counter. Hes around a lot longer than the (non Ilyana) mages too. His defense isnt very good but mage defense is never that good anyway. But early on, he should watch out for enemies getting at him. 23 speed cap on 2nd tier is a bit assy but he may double most things aside from quicker enemies like swordies and some halberdiers. Hes got the dumpy move all mages suffer from. :(: Transfers are quite kind to Soren though, so he can be ripe for some BEXP abuse.

In modes other than hard, he doesnt need too much in the way of resources aside from skill sets. For a rather god-like Soren, Celerity, Discipline and Daunt really work. Plus the A support with Ike which helps both of them. While his base strength isnt fantastic at all, it does get better and after a while, he goes "Hey siege tome! Imma double with that!"

6.5/10. 7.5/10 bias because hes my favorite character in the Tellius games.

23 speed cap on 2nd tier is a bit assy but he may double most things aside from quicker enemies like swordies and some halberdiers.

In hard mode...? I doubt he'll be doubling much that isn't a sage or bishop with a 23 speed cap...