"I just want to know one thing!" - FE13 Edition

Popo

If I use a Second Seal for the first time on a level 10 promoted character, changing them to a level 1 promoted character, their cumulative level will be 14 and so total level will be 35 - higher than what it was when I used the seal. Is that correct? Because that seems a little odd, but it's what the formula and example on http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/calculation.html#internal show. I might have thought cumulative level would be increased only by the difference from old level to new.

How good are children characters in general? I know this is a vague question so let's put it this way: Should I generally want to use most to all of my children, few or none, or somewhere in between?

What makes Avatar so good (tier list wise)? His growths and bases seem pretty average overall - is it the tactician class and reclass options primarily with supports and availability as a booster (that's what I'd think are the main things)?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I use a Second Seal for the first time on a level 10 promoted character, changing them to a level 1 promoted character, their cumulative level will be 14 and so total level will be 35 - higher than what it was when I used the seal. Is that correct? Because that seems a little odd, but it's what the formula and example on http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/calculation.html#internal show. I might have thought cumulative level would be increased only by the difference from old level to new.

How good are children characters in general? I know this is a vague question so let's put it this way: Should I generally want to use most to all of my children, few or none, or somewhere in between?

What makes Avatar so good (tier list wise)? His growths and bases seem pretty average overall - is it the tactician class and reclass options primarily with supports and availability as a booster (that's what I'd think are the main things)?

I dunno about the first two, but Veteran has to do with that last one (there's probably more, though).

I dunno about the first two, but Veteran has to do with that last one (there's probably more, though).

Also, you get to choose which stat get the buff and which is the dump stat. +4 Spd modifier, thank you very much.

Also, gives access to child(ren) just as more broken than the parent.

The children are usually better than some of their parents, but I guess their starting do depend on the parents... Cause you can kinda play around with how you want each child to turn out to be, what to pass along and what classes to give to each child. As for using them, it's still up to you. I usually ended up using most of them, but I also trained their parents quite a bit even in my first playthrough.

For the second question there, I think that's been kinda answered. I think it's also the fact that you can change to anything you want, as long as it's not a gender-exclusive or a special class. Along with the supports, I guess. With Chrom, I heard you can solo the game... I never tried it myself though.

I sorta had a question to ask, but I forgot now.

Edited by Cordelia

The children are usually better than some of their parents, but I guess their starting do depend on the parents... Cause you can kinda play around with how you want each child to turn out to be, what to pass along and what classes to give to each child. As for using them, it's still up to you. I usually ended up using most of them, but I also trained their parents quite a bit even in my first playthrough.

For the second question there, I think that's been kinda answered. I think it's also the fact that you can change to anything you want, as long as it's not a gender-exclusive or a special class. Along with the supports, I guess. With Chrom, I heard you can solo the game... I never tried it myself though.

I sorta had a question to ask, but I forgot now.

Almost every child should be better than the parents, because they inherit the sum of the modifiers. So unless you give crap mods, they will be better.

Almost every child should be better than the parents, because they inherit the sum of the modifiers. So unless you give crap mods, they will be better.

Well, yeah, that too.

Although... speaking of that... I felt like my Laurent is still kinda crappy compared to the rest of the children cause I never trained his parents. Am I imagining things lol? Or is it always better to train the parents? Though I dunno, cause I never used Vaike and I got a decent Owain.

Well, yeah, that too.

Although... speaking of that... I felt like my Laurent is still kinda crappy compared to the rest of the children cause I never trained his parents. Am I imagining things lol? Or is it always better to train the parents? Though I dunno, cause I never used Vaike and I got a decent Owain.

IIRC, training the parents only affects base stats. But it can have a huge effect. For example, I was waffling on pairings for Henry, but all the while was training him up. When I finally paired him with Maribelle (who was a Lv. 15 Dark Flier, for obvious reasons), he had capped all his Limit Broken stats except Res. When I recruited Brady, as a Lv. 10 Priest, he had capped everything but HP.

But not training Miriel and her husband could certainly make Laurent seem less stellar than his peers, at least to start. So, while it's always "better" to train the parents, it doesn't affect final, capped stats.

BTW, according to the main site, the formula for base stats is:

"The childrens' actual base stats = [(mother's current stats - mother's class base stats) + (father's current stats - father's class base stats) + child's absolute base stats] / 3 + child's class base stats"

Edited by Euklyd

(1) Yes, it does work that way. By dropping 9 visible levels, you get 14 invisible ones. Your level gets to drop after reclassing to a 1st tier class, but if you reclass to a 2nd tier class, your level will remain (level 20 to level 1: drop 19 visible levels, gain 19 invisible ones) or rise, unless you already hit the invisible level cap.

(2) Children characters are great. If you have maxed parents, the children will start off with maxed (1st tier) stats; their personal stat caps are higher; and they generally have growths that outshine their parents. You'll want to use most or all children and a few non-children as well.

On the topic of children's growths, while some may recommend giving Aptitude to Donnel's child, I give a male-only skill like Counter instead. Donnel's child should already be broken as is, and Aptitude is useless after a unit hits the caps of all stats.

On the topic of children's growths, while some may recommend giving Aptitude to Donnel's child, I give a male-only skill like Counter instead. Donnel's child should already be broken as is, and Aptitude is useless after a unit hits the caps of all stats.

Huh. Maybe I could do the same - although I'd just settle for HP +5 since most of the other male exclusive skills are boring and fail to stand out as worth it in my book.

And HP +5 isn't boring? At least Counter is good for trolling people. HP +5 is good for dealing/taking Counter, IMO.

And HP +5 isn't boring? At least Counter is good for trolling people. HP +5 is good for dealing/taking Counter, IMO.

Well, I'd say it's at least boring, but practical, unlike Counter, which is only good for Streetpass, which I don't care about (Counter also sounds like it's not worth stomaching 15 levels of Warrior, particularly in a game where the biggest threats are mages and other such crap).

Edited by Levant Fortner

Well, I'd say it's at least boring, but practical, unlike Counter, which is only good for Streetpass, which I don't care about (Counter also sounds like it's not worth stomaching 15 levels of Warrior, particularly in a game where the biggest threats are mages and other such crap).

True enough. While I care about Streetpass, I don't care enough to make my units ridiculous suicide Warriors.

Is there any info on exp calculations yet?

I am curious as to what the better mode is for building my streetpass army. Normal mode (if it functions like fe10 easy mode with overkill exp gain) or lunatic for its higher levels and more exp to get that way.

I am curious as to what the better mode is for building my streetpass army. Normal mode (if it functions like fe10 easy mode with overkill exp gain) or lunatic for its higher levels and more exp to get that way.

I doubt there's any real info on exp calculations yet.

The only real difference I've seen between modes exp wise is staff exp gain.

normal is easier to grind, so there's that

Enemy levels are not changed on higher difficulty levels. The most prominent change Exp-wise between difficulty levels is how the game handles "internal levels" saved from reclassing. On Normal, it saves a maximum of 20, so a character who's reclassed a bunch of times and then ends up at LV1 in a promoted class would normally gain Exp as a LV21 unit, but with those additional levels, they instead gain Exp as a LV41 unit. In contrast, on Hard it saves up to 30 and on Lunatic it saves up to 50, so characters who have reclassed a bunch of times and go back to LV1 promoted will end up gaining Exp as a LV51 or LV71 unit, respectively.

So yes, it's considerably easier to get Exp on the lower difficulty levels, especially when reclassing a lot. But when you've reclassed enough to hit minimum Exp gain (8 per kill, up to 24 with Paragon + Veteran) on all the good grinding places anyway, it doesn't make a difference.

As for how those internal levels accumulate, the game saves about half the levels from the class you were in as internal levels whenever you use a Change Seal or one of the DLC class-change items. Promoted classes count as LV+20, of course. So if you reclass a LV20 unpromoted unit, they'll save about 10 internal levels. If you reclass a LV20 promoted unit, they'll save about 20 internal levels. Aside from this difference in method of determining effective level, the Exp gains appear to work just like the ones in FE11/12.

Enemy levels are not changed on higher difficulty levels. The most prominent change Exp-wise between difficulty levels is how the game handles "internal levels" saved from reclassing. On Normal, it saves a maximum of 20, so a character who's reclassed a bunch of times and then ends up at LV1 in a promoted class would normally gain Exp as a LV21 unit, but with those additional levels, they instead gain Exp as a LV41 unit. In contrast, on Hard it saves up to 30 and on Lunatic it saves up to 50, so characters who have reclassed a bunch of times and go back to LV1 promoted will end up gaining Exp as a LV51 or LV71 unit, respectively.

So yes, it's considerably easier to get Exp on the lower difficulty levels, especially when reclassing a lot. But when you've reclassed enough to hit minimum Exp gain (8 per kill, up to 24 with Paragon + Veteran) on all the good grinding places anyway, it doesn't make a difference.

As for how those internal levels accumulate, the game saves about half the levels from the class you were in as internal levels whenever you use a Change Seal or one of the DLC class-change items. Promoted classes count as LV+20, of course. So if you reclass a LV20 unpromoted unit, they'll save about 10 internal levels. If you reclass a LV20 promoted unit, they'll save about 20 internal levels. Aside from this difference in method of determining effective level, the Exp gains appear to work just like the ones in FE11/12.

I dunno man, you never really hit minimum Exp gains on normal mode (hence why chapter 25 risen grinding is hilariously fast)

So... back on the question/topic of Donnel's child... if his child will be Nah and I wanna give her Armsthift (even if I can buy endless Dragonstone+s) or whatever... should I pass Counter or Aptitude to Nah?

and sounds like it's gonna be more of a pain to grind on Hard than Normal... maybe I should go back. >.>

So... back on the question/topic of Donnel's child... if his child will be Nah and I wanna give her Armsthift (even if I can buy endless Dragonstone+s) or whatever... should I pass Counter or Aptitude to Nah?

and sounds like it's gonna be more of a pain to grind on Hard than Normal... maybe I should go back. >.>

As was just discussed, Aptitude will mean nothing once Nah caps her stats, but it is a huge help in getting there.

I might say... neither (Counter wouldn't be effective with a Manakete, as they'd shrug off most of everything that the enemy would throw at them, and Aptitude means nothing once capped).

As was just discussed, Aptitude will mean nothing once Nah caps her stats, but it is a huge help in getting there.

Yes, I read it... I can't predict if I can get her to cap her stats quick enough, is why, I guess. So Counter > Aptitude still, I suppose?

Yes, I read it... I can't predict if I can get her to cap her stats quick enough, is why, I guess. So Counter > Aptitude still, I suppose?

I dunno what exactly you're planning to do with her, but if you intend to have her as a Manakete to finish, I'd eschew Counter, since Dragonstones give a huge defense boost that'd render Counter practically a waste of a skill slot.

If I plan on doing no non-chapter battles and generally don't want to have one chapter being 80+ turns, is there any feasible way I can train Olivia on any difficulty other than normal where even she can beat people?