Fire Emblem: Perils of Magic

LloydReed32

I have been working on this hack for about a month now, and I feel confident enough to release the prologue. Please tell me what you think. The difficulty is what I am worried about the most. Are the enemies too tough? Are the heroes too weak? etc. For the theme, I have drawn heavy inspiration from the Dragon Age series. That should be evident from the beginning. Please be nice, this is my first hack, after all. :P

A few screenshots, for fun...

261ybmo.jpg

And here is the patch...

http://www.mediafire...e3381vq9xo9hs0v

UPS patcher like NUPS works just fine. Use a clean FE7 ROM, etc etc.

Still have a lot of work to do. Plan on making my own battle screen, inventory background, and, of course, the intro background and graphics. Will also add a credits section for those that helped me/ made tutorials/ etc. Without them this hack wouldn't be possible!

In conclusion, I hope you like it.

Pretty good, but the sprites could use some originality. The one is too Harken/Raven. Also, the one with the green hair looks really familiar... It looks really close to one of my friends sprites, just with a headband. I like that custom CG though! :D

Dude. This hack looks pretty good so far! I'm going to enjoy playing this hack!

Keep it up!

Aw great. More competition. I should just start a FE7 hack. It'd be so much easier...

Picture is a JPEG, try saving it as a PNG instead of a BMP or JPEG so the quality doesn't get reduced.

But anyhow this is looking good so far and I'm excited to see more. The graphics admittedly aren't the best but it seems like you are a one-person project so I personally can overlook the sprites as long as they are clean splices and the gameplay/plot are creative! And the new CG/backgrounds are cool too, few people do those so it's getting me kinda pumped.

I'd play it buuuut I want to wait a bit more because I hate being cut-off after just the first chapter!

Just played it. The opening was really nice--good job with the CGs. Various feedback:

Dialogue: Sometimes you have text like this:

Hey there, my name is Agro and
I'm awesome.

Which would probably look better like this:

Hey there, my name is
Agro and I'm awesome.

The text formatting could use some of the "bounce" a little more. Just makes the characters look a little more lively is all. The script is nicely written, though. Good coherency. I'm guessing you're British or Australian by your use of "mate".

Graphics: Portraits are nice and clean, though I feel that the palettes could use some work. Do you use FE6 and FE7 colours, or just FE7 colours? I'd try to steer clear of FE6 colours, if possible. The Toxin spell animation could use some transparency and some work overall but gold stars for actually trying. The maps are alright, though you need to fill some of the tiles with shadowed tiles and stuff. Also, these are ruins, right? You should use the cracked wall/broken wall tiles a bit, then. You don't have to make them destroyable or just give them 400 HP.

Misc: The ending event fades in and cursor flashes on the stair tile? I don't think that that's necessary. Fading in straight to dialogue is more than enough, I think.

Otherwise, considering you've only been at this for a month, good work! Keep it up, take critique onboard, and this hack will shape up nicely.

Looks really nice for the screens. How long's the patch?

It is just the Prologue thus far. I wanted to share the main characters, my writing style, etc. I'm about halfway done with CH1, and plan on updating the link when I finish at least CH 7 or 8

Edited by LloydReed32

This definitely looks promising. The prologue has the potential to be the begining of a good hack

Preliminary comments:

"noone objected to it" should be "no one" or "none"

Nice full screen graphics

Decent writing, it was rarely, if ever awkward. Nothing extremely memorable, but it gets the job done all the same, which, with this stuff, is an accomplishment.

Why does Trent's battle animation blink? If you're gonna keep them, make him blink for longer and less frequently. Though I'd recommend getting rid of it as he doesn't while gaining experience.

Twril at the end of Trent's animation looks forced/ not ascool without a cape.

Some of the inserted mugs' colors'saturation is borderline FE8.

Chapter was difficult for me if I didn't take out the mage immediately.

Ask if you need any clarification.

Always nice to see new hacks, especially ones with no major flaws or weaknesses.

Edited by deranger

I like that after only a single month, you already have custom maps, events, portraits, text, and CG's all inside this hack. It's pretty impressive, not gonna lie. I saw in your intro post though that you have experience with coding on another project, so I'm guessing that helped you out a lot x]

Edited by Klokinator

I could swear I posted in this topic. Either I didn't and I'm going insane, or someone deleted my post. I fucking hate deleted posts.

Anyway, I like that after only a single month, you already have custom maps, events, portraits, text, and CG's all inside this hack. It's pretty impressive, not gonna lie. I saw in your intro post though that you have experience with coding on another project, so I'm guessing that helped you out a lot x]

Thanks, mate. I learn right quick when it comes to code and such. It helps that the tutorials I use are excellent too.

It is just the Prologue thus far. I wanted to share the main characters, my writing style, etc. I'm about halfway done with CH1, and plan on updating the link when I finish at least CH 7 or 8

Aw man--let us know when you have more progress! Me and my bro like to play co-op runs of Fire Emblem, and you hack looks really enjoyable and different. I think the splices are pretty well-done and fit in without feeling like a cheap borrow; haven't played it yet, but from the feeling it gives, I'd say keep running with your work. And if you're looking for some extra cg/background images, check out Advance Wars - Days of Ruin--you might find some nice stuff.

http://awcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Starter_Sprites

This is just a random observation, maybe call this spam, I don't know. Everytime I look at this topic, it looks like the title is "Penis of Magic". There isn't really a solution aside from changing the title, but good lord seeing Penis of Magic everytime I scroll the hacking section is cracking me up xD

I actually enjoyed playing that chapter. I think the difficulty level is fine. Wasn't too easy and wasn't too hard.

I think maybe increasing the Shaman's skill by 1 would be good. If he misses at the start,the could have been some problems. And maybe give another character a Potion.

I really liked the sprites and I wasn't expecting the custom Shaman one. They could use a bit of work though,same with some of the face sprites.

I like the battle backgrounds except the boss one. I thought that just looked really bizarre.

I thought that was pretty good overall. Just a few notes.

The boss says "You're clothes...", when it should be your clothes.

I feel like the mountains and forests huddled up at the very top of the map are a little random, but whatever.

I agree with the other person that the backgrounds don't exactly match with the tiles, but I assume you just haven't finished all of them yet.

Difficulty felt about right, but I didn't really miss much, so maybe another potion could help for those who are a little less rng blessed.

Also, I was surprised when Toxin didn't poison. Not that poison would help at all.

But great start.

This is just a random observation, maybe call this spam, I don't know. Everytime I look at this topic, it looks like the title is "Penis of Magic". There isn't really a solution aside from changing the title, but good lord seeing Penis of Magic everytime I scroll the hacking section is cracking me up xD

You're not alone.

very good love the custom animations the lords sprite looks like a mercenary though also toxin sound as though it should be a dark tome the map was not to hard but the badies need less speed and avoid i had hit rates in the 60 and 70s

I thought that was pretty good overall. Just a few notes.

The boss says "You're clothes...", when it should be your clothes.

I feel like the mountains and forests huddled up at the very top of the map are a little random, but whatever.

I agree with the other person that the backgrounds don't exactly match with the tiles, but I assume you just haven't finished all of them yet.

Difficulty felt about right, but I didn't really miss much, so maybe another potion could help for those who are a little less rng blessed.

Also, I was surprised when Toxin didn't poison. Not that poison would help at all.

But great start.

Och! I thought I changed that spelling error before I made the patch. Apparently not haha. Thanks. Baten Kaitos is awesome, by the way!

very good love the custom animations the lords sprite looks like a mercenary though also toxin sound as though it should be a dark tome the map was not to hard but the badies need less speed and avoid i had hit rates in the 60 and 70s

Thanks mate. Yeah, I tried going for more of a 'battle mage' look for him, as opposed to the "I'm a mage. I wear robes" standard fare.

Edited by LloydReed32

I played it and I liked it and how the characters have actual personalities, I cant wait to play the next chapters.

Also the shamans hit rate was kind of low (around 66 or so) and he actually missed on the first turn against the mercenary and died on enemy phase so maybe it would help if you boosted his skill a little other than that the custom sprites looked cool and I really liked the glowing hand on Trent it looks pretty cool.

Tried this out, and it was really fun! As has been said before, the CG's are nice, and the characters are very interesting so far. I'm pretty impressed with the Toxin animation, but it could use some work, as it looks kinda...choppy I guess is the word. Very good first attempt I must say. Trent and Austin's custom animations are really good. One issue I have with them, mainly Austin's, is the dodge animations. Trent's seems to be reminiscent of the Swordmaster's lean back dodge. Austin's seems to be only a couple frames long. I have seen it, but it seems to go really quickly. It's the same as the normal Shaman dodge animation, correct? You might wanna make it a bit more noticable, just in case. I haven't seen either Austin's, nor Trent's critical animations, so I can't say anything about them.

On another subject, the story has my interest piqued. I'm quite curious to see where your gonna go with this. I wish you the best with this.

Keep up the good work, and I eagerly await the next patch!

a huge percentage of IS's animations have 2-frame dodges ;P

I actually did not know this. It just seems that Austin's dodge lasts like...a split second or something. -shrug- Maybe it's cause I'm doing it on my PSP?