Having trouble staying asleep

Flying Shogi

Recently I've been going to bed at around 1AM and waking up around 7AM and it's hard for me to stay asleep. You think that going to bed late would have my body sleep more but it's not. So are there any tips or any proudcts(preferably not pills) to help me stay asleep?

And no, I have not seen my doctor. This is recent so I have not had the chance to see my doctor.

Try to wear yourself out before you sleep, exercise or anything that tires you out tends to help you sleep longer. Or maybe read a good book.. Perhaps listen to some calming music

Also I've found milk to be good for helping me sleep, as I have a similar problem.

I'm not a regular milk drinker so wouldn't that make me have a bowel movement? I heard that is the most common side effect of drinking milk irregularly. But if it helps, I'll try it.

I'm not a regular milk drinker so wouldn't that make me have a bowel movement? I heard that is the most common side effect of drinking milk irregularly. But if it helps, I'll try it.

Ahh.. I'm not sure :/

Whether you drink milk or not depends on whether or not you think you have problems digesting lactose. If the weather in your area just had a recent shift, you could be feeling the effects of that, too.

If you lead a relatively sedentary lifestyle falling asleep can be difficult. As others have already suggested and if you aren't an active person you should consider working out. This can mean a bunch of things such as going to a gym, signing up for sports and related activities, going for a run or bike around your neighborhood. Stuff like that.

However if you are active - I'm pretty active myself and I had trouble falling asleep at times after high school. I changed how I sleep (on my back with my upper back and head propped by two pillows) and when I ate before falling asleep (not eating less than 3 hours before bed) and it eventually solved itself. If you have continual trouble you might want to consult a doctor as my advice is in no way scientific.

Edited by Belisarius

Whether you drink milk or not depends on whether or not you think you have problems digesting lactose. If the weather in your area just had a recent shift, you could be feeling the effects of that, too.

Well, my city has been through 3 heat waves recently. Other than that, it's normal.

Have you had any different living habits or stresses, firstly.

I have started working so that might be it. But that's movement so I should be able to sleep better.

As for being active, I work during the day and I'm almost always walking during the job so that does count as some excercise. I would come home tired some times and I do not go to sleep because it is too early to go to sleep and worry that I'm not going to sleep through the night.

I've been going to bed tired and I just cannot stay asleep in the morning. I do not know why.

Edited by UberLughFTW

Try changing your sleeping position. If you normally sleep on your back flip to a side or vice versa. Putting a pillow between your legs helps for lots of people. Also, don't sleep on your belly, as you are more prone to movement and soreness.

I used to have issues too so I know how it feels.

Try changing your sleeping position. If you normally sleep on your back flip to a side or vice versa. Putting a pillow between your legs helps for lots of people. Also, don't sleep on your belly, as you are more prone to movement and soreness.

I used to have issues too so I know how it feels.

Sleeping on my back and curling up to the side are my usual sleeping positions. I don't know other sleeping positions.

How much are you out in the sunlight each day? If you're in the dark for extended periods of time, there's some body-chem-thingy that gets out of whack and your sleep maintenance becomes disorderly :L But it's probably the life-change thing you mentioned if it's still recent.

How much are you out in the sunlight each day? If you're in the dark for extended periods of time, there's some body-chem-thingy that gets out of whack and your sleep maintenance becomes disorderly :L But it's probably the life-change thing you mentioned if it's still recent.

I don't usually go out and especially not recently because of the heat waves. And I wouldn't say I'm in the "dark" for extended periods of time. My house is really bright during the day that I have to leave the white blinds on.

if daylight is causing you to wake up, try some really dark blinds or curtains

This is definitely a possibility. The window is to my left of the room and I never turn to the left in the morning when I get up unexpectedly and try to go back to sleep. Some times it's so bright that I can "see" it when I close my eyes.

I think I may have noticed a pattern. I can safely say that I can only sleep for about 6 hours.

Hmn, have you tried playing some music?

Also, if Music doesn't work, I'd say try some OTR, it's pretty good.

(Old Time Radio programs, just give them a try-in public domain and are all pretty good.)

(If you haven't heard of it, I don't blame you, but try it, it's got all sorts of genres-sci-fi, westerns, comedy, adventures, drama, shakespeare, romance, and mystery/detective to name a few.)

This is probobly the first post related to OTR in SF

Just let it on, and then relax and you'll be sleeping soon.

Edited by Sharpy

Hmn, have you tried playing some music?

Just let it on, and then relax and you'll be sleeping soon.

Music only keeps me up. I'm that type of person that needs almost absolute silence when I go to sleep.

I don't have trouble falling asleep. I want to stay asleep longer because only 6 hours a day is bad.

Is your sleeping pattern abnormal? As in do you sleep different hours on a daily basis?

I wouldn't say it's a blessing per se when I wake up tired and yet cannot fall sleep again. That's bad since my head some times hurt due to lack of sleep.