Starting Genealogy of the Holy War....help?

bookwormbabe29

You can completely ignore pairings in Gen 2, they're not nearly as important as the ones in Gen 1. I personally never bothered with Gen 2 pairings in any of my playthroughs. As for the use everybody idea, since there is no character limit like in other FE games, and as for experience, since you also have the arena, you should have enough to at least promote everyone. You could probably skip Ardan, since he's a pain to use.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I thought of two questions that (hopefully) won't cause as much distress. One of the tips I've seen is use everybody. That seems quite contrary to the norm, and I'm not sure what to think of it. Wouldn't it make more sense to train a handful of characters, specifically those who pass down stats to their kids? Is there really enough experience to go around to use everybody?

Second, after spending so much time on pairings for Gen 1, I realize I don't have any pairings for Gen 2. I can guess why it's not as important, but won't that make a difference too?

1: Really, the general consensus is use everybody you feel like. There's no reason not to deploy everybody, but otherwise just feed XP to whomever you normally would in another FE.

2: Pairings for G2 mean shit. They change the ending dialogues and provide minor Charisma-style bonuses. Don't worry about them.

Okay, just got a couple things to say, I hope not to cause any flaming this time.

Are you kidding, man? Do you even know what Jamka!Arthur's STR ends up? He nearly caps it!

Is that actually good? I mean a Mage with super STR seems hilariously bizarre but he apparently gets Hero Sword access on promotion (And the FE Wikia suggested Hero Sword-wielding Lex!Arthur but you know how they can be sometimes...) so I guess I could kinda see how it works.

Aideen x Midir

Ira x Lex

Lachesis x Beowulf

Sylvia x Claude

Fury x Levin

Brigid x Holyn

Tiltyu x Azel

Holy crap, these are the EXACT SAME PAIRINGS I planned on! :blink: Wow, what are the odds? :lol:

Is that actually good? I mean a Mage with super STR seems hilariously bizarre but he apparently gets Hero Sword access on promotion (And the FE Wikia suggested Hero Sword-wielding Lex!Arthur but you know how they can be sometimes...) so I guess I could kinda see how it works.

It's actually utter shit, but some people actually place weight on Arthur's STR stat because he can *technically* use swords.

It's almost universally a bad idea, but that was just me being a git.

A mage with super strength is interesting (especially if they have access to a physical weapon -- FE10 Tormod, why is your super strength growth useless?), but the point of a mage is well, to use magic. You're probably not going to be pairing Tiltyu so her kids can hit things with swords, right?

To be fair, swords on magefighters/knights do have a bit of a purpose - killing other mages who hypothetically have existent RES. It's not a bad theory, just anything that passes down STR that matters also passes down utterly laughable RES and sort of negates the original purpose.

To be fair, swords on magefighters/knights do have a bit of a purpose - killing other mages who hypothetically have existent RES. It's not a bad theory, just anything that passes down STR that matters also passes down utterly laughable RES and sort of negates the original purpose.

Fair point. But isn't resistance generally pretty bad in this game for even the mages, aside from Blaggi and Narga people?

Fair point. But isn't resistance generally pretty bad in this game for even the mages, aside from Blaggi and Narga people?

Yes. RES isn't so great in FE4. It's not a big deal really though other than sleep staves. There's so much HP that anyone can take hits.

Hero Sword Lex!Arthur is amazing, and you can even give him the Prayer Ring (to add to Ambush/Wrath shenanigans), which doesn't actually do much, but it sure LOOKS broken. He basically ORKOes everything at one range at half health, and Elite helps get him there faster!

Two Quick question: Is there an enemy 'drop' (or loot) list somewhere? I found what bosses drop on the boss page, but not sure if that covers everything, if normal enemies drop items in this one, and if so, where i could find that out?

Second, as I'm playing this now (woo hoo!) I'm finding my levels to be...lacking. How many stat up's should I expect per level, typically? Should I be save state abusing for maximum gains, or will I be alright if I don't get godly levels?

Edited by bookwormbabe29

Apparently most Gen 1 characters have bad growth rates. Check out the Growths page on the main if you want to see more.

I wouldn't recommend meditating on it or anything but a quick glance might let you know why it might be happening.

That makes sense, it just seems I keep getting only 1 or 2 stats, and I guess the newer games have spoiled me lol.

Another quickie: one tip said to 'go through the arena with everyone" but my characters can't handle some of the early levels (like Lex not being able to touch the level 4 sword fighter at the first arena). Is that normal, or is it again because i'm getting bad levels? Is there some trick to getting through the arena's 'tough' fights, like where you're on the wrong end of the weapon triangle?

Generally, by changing the order you have people do the arena, you can change the outcome of battles. FE4 uses a fixed RN list, the RNG will create a string of numbers. However, some battles you need to get lucky with, like Lex and the swordies. Not everbody will be able to clear the arena, some people tend to get stuck at certain points. You can access the arena from any castle, you could try again after a few level-ups on the map.

If you have savestates, you can shuffle the order you put people through so when you're at a disadvantage, you might find a helpful RN string. When I play, I try the weaker characters first; if one fails, I reload and try another one; if all of them are stuck, I do one round with Sigurd, then try them again. Obviously, this works depending on how lucky you need to get; e.g. Lex can get past swordfighters much easier if they're doing chip damage and/or he has the Hero Axe.

EDIT: Slow.

Edited by Baldrick

Another quickie: one tip said to 'go through the arena with everyone" but my characters can't handle some of the early levels (like Lex not being able to touch the level 4 sword fighter at the first arena). Is that normal, or is it again because i'm getting bad levels? Is there some trick to getting through the arena's 'tough' fights, like where you're on the wrong end of the weapon triangle?

In addition to what Shin said, there are just some Arena fights that are pure stupid and the bulk of your units will need some bullshit to pass - like the swordfighter you mentioned. Later, oh God later, there's a swordfighter with a Hero Sword for round 3.

FE4's Arenas have this weird curve where it's usually easy->easy->stonewall->not difficult->easy->not bad->hard, so don't be sad if you get stuck halfway. Just either shuffle the RNG like a cheater (like me) or truck out of the castle and get along. You can access the Arena from any castle you seize, so it might just be better to go through the chapter and abuse the levels you get to try to finish it off at the next-to-last castle or osmethne.

Early on the arena is bit tricky to beat so don't worry about beating it with everyone. Later on you can just trade around your Hero weapons to have most (good) units have good odds anyway. If unit isn't able to beat arenas, its hardly a lost exp worth mentioning. Nobody cares if Azel never promotes. Not even Azel!Arthur.

Oh noes Tilty didn't promote so she can't make Azel!Tinny inherit... an Elfire tome?

So?

or

Oh noes I was too late to make Midir and Adean fall in love and thus missed the Hero Bow! Somehow this makes me unable to just nab a hard as hell to miss Killer/Silver bow and proceed to kick ass.

Another two newbie questions, which may answer each other. I'm read a weapon gets 'critical' once it hits 50 kills, so it makes sense to use the same (good) weapons over and over. Does the number of kills or the 'critical' ability have a listing somewhere so i can check how many kills I have? The only stat I can't tell is the "star" number next to weapon's rank, so i'm guessing that's it, but they just don't seem right. Unless i'm crazy. Which I am. Certifiably, even. Anywho, can anyone tell me what that star number is, and/or where to find weapon kill count if possible?

AH, that would explain the difference I'm seeing. Silly me!

To keep this thread going, I wanted to ask an opinion. Initially, I had planned Aideen to pair with Midir (Hero bow, pursuit, etc) as I the stats worked well and I thought the knight falling for his lady story a good one. But I am having second thoughts about pairing her with Jamka, as his stats are just WOW. Plus, there seems to be some story hints to tie these two together. From what I understand, Jamka's pursuit is a class skill so it won't pass down (right?) but I could pass down a pursuit right to the son.... Lester, I think? I had planned to give said ring to someone who needed in second gen, like Cuan's kid (Leaf?) but the temptation is there now, and I am wavering back and forth. The way I see it, if i go with Jamka, I get a better Lester, but if I go with Midir, I get a better Leaf (who would get the pursuit ring). So do I get a better Lester, or get a better Leaf?

((Follow up question: do Sigured and Cuan pass down items/stats normally to Celice/Leaf, right? They being 'fated' pairs, they seem to have exception and exclusions from what I can tell. I think so, but confirmation would be nice).

Sigurd passes down items regularly to Celice, yes, but Ethlin passes down items to Leaf, for reverse inheritance.

After Leaf promotes, he gets pursuit upon entering his new class, so if you do pair Aideen with Jamka, Jamka can buy the ring after Leaf is done with it.

AH, that would explain the difference I'm seeing. Silly me!

To keep this thread going, I wanted to ask an opinion. Initially, I had planned Aideen to pair with Midir (Hero bow, pursuit, etc) as I the stats worked well and I thought the knight falling for his lady story a good one. But I am having second thoughts about pairing her with Jamka, as his stats are just WOW. Plus, there seems to be some story hints to tie these two together. From what I understand, Jamka's pursuit is a class skill so it won't pass down (right?) but I could pass down a pursuit right to the son.... Lester, I think? I had planned to give said ring to someone who needed in second gen, like Cuan's kid (Leaf?) but the temptation is there now, and I am wavering back and forth. The way I see it, if i go with Jamka, I get a better Lester, but if I go with Midir, I get a better Leaf (who would get the pursuit ring). So do I get a better Lester, or get a better Leaf?

((Follow up question: do Sigured and Cuan pass down items/stats normally to Celice/Leaf, right? They being 'fated' pairs, they seem to have exception and exclusions from what I can tell. I think so, but confirmation would be nice).

First, to answer the easy thing: Cuan/Ethlin and someguy/Briggid's inheritance is flipped. Leaf will get Ethlin's items, Faval (the boy child) will get Briggid's. Patty will get Briggid's husband's, and Leaf's sister will get Cuan's gear.

EDIT2: On the subject of inheritance, Deirdre's gear is passed down to exactly nobody, regardless of any factors. Everything Deirdre has goes into the pool of items you didn't get and gets redistributed in Gen 2 to various shops and bosses.

As for Midir vice Jamka, there's plenty of story hints for you to pair Briggid with Jamka or Midir, so it really doesn't matter too much. Lester WILL have a rather easier time if you give him Jamka as a dad plus the Pursuit Ring, and Leaf does promote to have Pursuit naturally so that's not such a big deal.

Hell, I might even say keep the Pursuit Ring off of Lester since he'll inherit Continue AND Charge AND a Hero Bow so he won't even need it.

(yes go for jamka)

EDIT: see how much nicer this was just diving into it and asking questions as they come up? :D

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

I'll just add that it's probably more trouble than it's worth to get Leaf the Pursuit Ring, so Jamka's definitely the better option if nobody else wants the Pursuit Ring.

I'll just add that it's probably more trouble than it's worth to get Leaf the Pursuit Ring, so Jamka's definitely the better option if nobody else wants the Pursuit Ring.

I had no trouble getting Leaf/Ethlin the pursuit ring and it did make Leaf great from the word "go". Then again, my obsessive healing meant that Ethlin was promoted in Chapter 2 and I'd done my pairings (similarly to bwb) so nobody else really needed the pursuit ring so this probably isn't true for everyone.

Also, to bookwormbabe29: I think you've chosen a good way to play these games i.e. playing without knowing what's coming exactly but asking experienced players as issues arise. I wish I had as much sense as that Facepalm_emote_gif.gif.