Elibean Nights

Arch

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current one's already been through a lot of work, and I'm kinda fucking tired of people complaining about sprites all the damn time. Someone go make a better one if they don't like it, then. I'm just trying to finish the project, and this is just another distraction.

Edited by Arch

Klok, he's smiling because he just got his revenge.

Anyways, I stand to disagree with you. Nayr's looks like Raven got his hands on some hard drugs. The pauldron's angling is glaring, Nayr's habit of overusing the outline color is as apparent as ever, and not to mention it's the same face he always sprites. I'm pretty sure it's just a simple OA trace and he didn't even age the character. This was probably made for EN at some point (I do vaguely recall), and rejected for these reasons.

I just want to come in and quickly add in that whilst Nayr's has angling issues, so does the current one.

But hey, I've learned that this hack isn't the place to come to if you're expecting good graphics.

It's a fan-project guys, lower your expectations.

No offense, mate, but you are being a bit ignorant here...

Me? How? I was just browsing through some custom mugs and I found this and thought it hit right on the Elibian Nights image of Raven so I figured it was worth posting. It was just a quick "Hey look at what I found, I think it would work great" I'm not attempting to spark controversy or complain I just thought it was worth the quick judge considering I recalled some comments a while ago on another forum about Raven needing a sprite upgrade and it would be relatively easy to insert this one. I figured if Arch hasn't seen this before he might want to. I've never heard of Nayr so I had no idea him and Arch were in a conflict or this portrait had even been looked at. *Waves Jedi hand* I didn't say anything about a portrait.

@Klok: no one called me out for anything valid I'm just attempting to keep the peace.

@Kon: An example of a Raven portrait that looks like it belongs in Elibian Nights.

They both look great!

Edited by RennacIsUnderrated

Me? How? I was just browsing through some custom mugs and I found this and thought it hit right on the Elibian Nights image of Raven so I figured it was worth posting. It was just a quick "Hey look at what I found, I think it would work great" I'm not attempting to spark controversy or complain I just thought it was worth the quick judge considering I recalled some comments a while ago on another forum about Raven needing a sprite upgrade and it would be relatively easy to insert this one. I figured if Arch hasn't seen this before he might want to. I've never heard of Nayr so I had no idea him and Arch were in a conflict or this portrait had even been looked at.

Okay, so google image searching sprites and sharing them here is not really productive at all. It's just a waste of time and energy. If it exists and I wanted it, I would probably have obtained it already. This project's been going for years.

But hey, I've learned that this hack isn't the place to come to if you're expecting good graphics.

Yeah, fuck you too. A spriter of all people should appreciate the hard work put in by top-tier artists from around the community.

You're correct in saying that expectations for fan projects are too high, but honestly, I'd put EN's mugs against anything produced by IS or any other spriter around here any day. GBAFE's mugs also have angling issues, shading problems, etc, and I don't appreciate being held to a standard that's higher than the damn original developers themselves. Maybe there's some stylistic consistency issues, but I actually enjoy seeing that variation from around the community represented in a hack. It's a fan project, and I think it's cool that we get to see the diverse artistic presence within our community represented so strongly. More to the point, we have some seriously talented artists, to a degree that the hackers in the community don't even really deserve. I'm very appreciative of all the hard work artists have done on my behalf (a vast majority for free, no less), and I've worked very hard on behalf of the community to put together a quality game for y'all to play and enjoy. But all we seem to get these days is petulant criticism.

My patience for this crap is at its end.

Edited by Arch

Me? How? I was just browsing through some custom mugs

For future reference, you should absolutely NOT EVER use, or suggest someone else use artwork you find off google unless it's either the original source material for the fanwork or the artist in question has explicitly stated that this work can be used publicly, and you need to give credit. Anything else is considered stealing.

For future reference, you should absolutely NOT EVER use, or suggest someone else use artwork you find off google unless it's either the original source material for the fanwork or the artist in question has explicitly stated that this work can be used publicly, and you need to give credit. Anything else is considered stealing.

I know Arch has the knowledge to find out and cite whoever the original artist was if he really wanted to use it and I knew that which is the only reason why I didn't bother. No one was stealing it and I know it would need to be cited personally if it were to be used, thanks for the heads up but I understand and I am willing to bet my life that no Fire emblem spriter would be offended to find out someone suggested their work on Serenes Forest.

@Arch: I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was just saying that you can't always expect the visuals to be 100% consistent and entirely successful with the image you have in mind when you have a varied cast of artists from different skill levels and art styles. No one here is hating on your hard work or the work of the artists, I can't speak for anyone but I'm quite positive we all deeply appreciate the time you put into making this. Dutifully noted about your comment to me though, I was just suggesting it, not demanding it happen. You need criticism and suggestions to make the best product you can. You gotta learn how to take the negative shit or even just the dumb fanboy suggestions people are giving you and use that to enhance the quality or your hack. You obviously should never listen to everyone but having respect for their opinion and expecting respect back for yours is important. Like all the old fucks say, "Iron sharpens iron."

Wait, did something happen between Arch and Nayr? I've heard of Nayr's works before, but I'm just curious as to what happened.

(It's okay to PM it to me if you're not comfortable posting it here.)

Wait, did something happen between Arch and Nayr? I've heard of Nayr's works before, but I'm just curious as to what happened.

(It's okay to PM it to me if you're not comfortable posting it here.)

........... Just search this thread for "Nayr", K?

Edited by Klokinator

@Arch: I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was just saying that you can't always expect the visuals to be 100% consistent and entirely successful with the image you have in mind when you have a varied cast of artists from different skill levels and art styles. No one here is hating on your hard work or the work of the artists, I can't speak for anyone but I'm quite positive we all deeply appreciate the time you put into making this. Dutifully noted about your comment to me though, I was just suggesting it, not demanding it happen.

No, he specifically called out my hack as not having "good graphics." I'm not just gonna take that shit, sorry. It's disrespectful to the artists who've contributed, and a spriter of all people should show a little damn respect for the effort it takes to produce quality sprites. There's a difference between criticism and bashing. If you want to criticize, at least be constructive about it. If people appreciate the work, then they should stop nitpicking every new sprite and just enjoy the fact that they're getting a new game to play. This happens every goddamn time someone brings up sprites. It's a maddening cycle of petulant bullshit which never seems to stop.

You need criticism and suggestions to make the best product you can. You gotta learn how to take the negative shit or even just the dumb fanboy suggestions people are giving you and use that to enhance the quality or your hack. You obviously should never listen to everyone but having respect for their opinion and expecting respect back for yours is important. Like all the old fucks say, "Iron sharpens iron."

And then you have the gall to lecture me about receptiveness to criticism? Just because I don't take your "dumb fanboy suggestions" (yes, you're talking about yourself). I refuse to be patronized by some random person with no accomplishments to their name, telling me how I should conduct my development process. If you'd actually been around for the entirety of the development cycle, you'd know that I've listened and learned from criticism for years; hell, that's why it's taken so long. But now? I'm finishing, the project is what it is at this point. I've gone above and beyond to respond to valuable feedback, I know far more about what it takes to make a successful project than you. So please, I appreciate you trying to help, but just let me get back to work. Edited by Arch

If someone were offering valuable criticism, I'd still take it. But I haven't gotten anything useful in a while, the project's nearing the finish line, and I don't have time to entertain and act upon every little stupid suggestion.

So basically yeah, goin' nuclear because I'm sick of this garbage and just wanna be finished already.

Edited by Arch

No, he specifically called out my hack as not having "good graphics." I'm not just gonna take that shit, sorry. It's disrespectful to the artists who've contributed, and a spriter of all people should show a little damn respect for the effort it takes to produce quality sprites. There's a difference between criticism and bashing. If you want to criticize, at least be constructive about it. If people appreciate the work, then they should stop nitpicking every new sprite and just enjoy the fact that they're getting a new game to play. This happens every goddamn time someone brings up sprites. It's a maddening cycle of petulant bullshit which never seems to stop.

And then you have the gall to lecture me about receptiveness to criticism? Just because I don't take your "dumb fanboy suggestions" (yes, you're talking about yourself). I refuse to be patronized by some random person with no accomplishments to their name, telling me how I should conduct my development process. If you'd actually been around for the entirety of the development cycle, you'd know that I've listened and learned from criticism for years; hell, that's why it's taken so long. But now? I'm finishing, the project is what it is at this point. I've gone above and beyond to respond to valuable feedback, I know far more about what it takes to make a successful project than you. So please, I appreciate you trying to help, but just let me get back to work.

Woooooah champ, calm down, I'm just trying to have your back here no need to get snappy with me. Yeah my accomplishments aren't on here but I take pride in the ones I have in real life that require a hundred times the tolerance of criticism you have on here, I know more about what I'm saying than you think, don't jump to random assumptions about people on a forum lol. And I agree they are dumb suggestions but you should still have respect when they come here with good intentions mate, they aren't trying to spite you. And I'm not lecturing you, just letting you know you are going a bit overboard with this, it isn't that big of a deal, it's very petty and over dramatic.

Woooooah champ, calm down, I'm just trying to have your back here no need to get snappy with me. Yeah my accomplishments aren't on here but I take pride in the ones I have in real life that require a hundred times the tolerance of criticism you have on here, I know more about what I'm saying than you think, don't jump to random assumptions about people on a forum lol. And I agree they are dumb suggestions but you should still have respect when they come here with good intentions mate, they aren't trying to spite you. And I'm not lecturing you, just letting you know you are going a bit overboard with this, it isn't that big of a deal, it's very petty and over dramatic.

If they were dumb, then why bother posting them in the first place? You've basically pissed the crap off Arch and I doubt he'll respond to you ever again.

...Are we seriously bringing in the "in real life" card?

Tried that once, didn't work.

Please stop posting.

If you know your suggestions are bad, then why do you insist on making them? I appreciate the good intentions, I really do, but just stop already. Obviously your presence in this topic hasn't been helpful in the slightest, and I don't need the assist.

You wanna go on about real life criticism and accomplishments? It's the lamest card in the deck to play, but fine, we'll play it. I've worked for congressmen, bud. Get off your high horse there. Pride is fine, but 100x the tolerance? Pfffft. Try spending a summer developing education reform proposals, that's a real minefield of criticism with actual implications for the world in which we live. Weren't you just saying something about assumptions? They just make an ass out of you and me; mostly you, I'm just along for the ride at this point.

Whenever someone calls you out on your behavior, you just deflect it and carry on acting exactly the same way. I honestly am quite hard pressed to believe, based on your behavior on these forums, that there's any actual substance to what you're saying. It sounds like someone's talking out of their ass, and it smells like farts in here. I'd show more respect if you'd shown yourself to be respectable, but that simply is not the case. You don't get to just show up in my topic, derail it with these stupid suggestions, and then get angry for the lack of respect shown to you. True respect is earned, not given. I try to be courteous, but my patience is obviously worn thin by the cacophony of nonsense you've wrought.

Edited by Arch

All of the congressmen. I've also been to space (that's where my avvy comes from, it's a selfie actually). Get rekt, kid.

Edited by Arch

I love how this project has better graphic design, more ambitious gameplay and superior writing to any actual GBA game and people are still fucking complaining.

Personally, I'm massively fucking hyped.