The second batch of DLC

Yukatas for swordmasters... that's cute... Though I should really save my mone--wait...

...Olivia can reclass to a Swordmaster. (She couldn't reclass to Sorcerer IIRC)

INSTANT BUY.

No Sorcerer class for Olivia? What a shame.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, narrative and atmosphere just keep getting richer and richer with each update... *sigh*

Any week, I feel like I'm more likely to just skip future Fire Emblem games. At this rate, I'm not even sure anymore if I will get this game. :(:

Edited by BrightBow

I still don't know why that Anna have blue hair in that new DLC chapter?

It's the lighting I assume has some effects on the shade of the portraits. Also adding to that fact is that the screenshot is small, and that her portrait is not "active" in the conversation.

Ah, narrative and atmosphere just keep getting richer and richer with each update... *sigh*

Any week, I feel like I'm more likely to just skip future Fire Emblem games. At this rate, I'm not even sure anymore if I will get this game. :(:

Seriously, it's just DLC. It's optional, and they're just doing service to the fans. What's wrong with that? it's not like it's part of the story.

Seriously, it's just DLC. It's optional, and they're just doing service to the fans. What's wrong with that? it's not like it's part of the story.

Indeed. Any truly bonus content as DLC can only be a net positive, however small.

Why does Olivia need a bikini when she's got that awesome dancer outfit? : P

Also, no offense intended, but I find it amusing when people claim they won't buy this game because of the fanservice DLC. Nevermind the fact the DLC is optional, it seems like a weird reason not to buy what is probably the best FE since... who knows? But each to their own, I guess. I'll definitely be enjoying the game, DLC or not ; )

Why does Olivia need a bikini when she's got that awesome dancer outfit? : P

Because I wanted a CG. Oh well.

Also, no offense intended, but I find it amusing when people claim they won't buy this game because of the fanservice DLC. Nevermind the fact the DLC is optional, it seems like a weird reason not to buy what is probably the best FE since... who knows? But each to their own, I guess. I'll definitely be enjoying the game, DLC or not ; )

It's just like you said.

Fanservice DLC is to get more money. They get more money for DLC. The main game is serious. This DLC is to have fun with it.

Hell, there's even serious DLC story-wise. Future of Despair Which I seriously laugh at the people who buy it because they want it early, can't read Japanese, and COMPLAIN that there's no reward. which had an entire wall of text for character development.

Take buy you want and don't buy what you don't want. It's that simple.

^ I wish they had included the serious DLC in the main game, though. I really want to know more about the future that the children came from, but I don't feel compelled to pay extra on top of the main game. It still feels crucial and makes me feel like I'm really missing out. :( I can understand paying for money for extra, non-essential stuff that only adds to the enjoyment, but paying for something to understand more about the children makes it feel like it should have been in the game in the first place.

I've got to agree with Vincent on this one. Granted, I had my reservations on some of the designs and (still do, but I'm on the verge of letting it go. Why beat a dead horse?) the DLC, too, but the more people complained about it, the more stupid their reasons became. Considering all the money that FE13 had bought in for the series and future installments, in just the span of a year? I'm surprised people aren't more grateful in that regard, but no, because of an optional level, the series is ruined forever.

^ I wish they had included the serious DLC in the main game, though. I really want to know more about the future that the children came from, but I don't feel compelled to pay extra on top of the main game. It still feels crucial and makes me feel like I'm really missing out. :( I can understand paying for money for extra, non-essential stuff that only adds to the enjoyment, but paying for something to understand more about the children makes it feel like it should have been in the game in the first place.

It's also something that wasn't even made until months later, by all indications. So it was a question of either buying it separately or not getting the maps at all. I assume you understand that the way things stand is the best you could possibly ask for.

It was done AFTER development was done.

The loose ends were all tied at least for the purpose of the main story. In essence, think of the DLC like how the Elibian Nights ROM hack is for FE7. You get the backstory that they expanded on. Because really, you didn't need to see the future where the children came from. You really didn't. Your concern was your own world.

Edited by shadowofchaos

How is a fan made hack like official DLC that is meant to expand on the story? >___>

Because it's added after the fact. That's what I meant as similar.

It's a chance to expand on content that is fully established and finished.

It's simply an analogy.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The whole thing is just salt on an already open wound because it just so happens, that it's painfully consistent with the main game in it's ridiculousness.

Character designs that go from silly to offensive and dialogue heard a thousand times in the cheesiest of animes. And while they were on it, they took the habit of these shows to define characters by overblown quirks because three-dimensional characters are apparently too boring.

And of course, a ridiculous time travel story. They only work in the rarest cases, because Time Travel breaks pretty much any scenario.

As a result, they usually have ridiculous holes attached to it and I don't see how this one could be one of the few which actually work.

And for this already completely broken concept of a story, they even brought back Mister Fire Emblem himself. And gave him a promotion from Star Lord to Time Lord, apparently.

And this DLC here? Still a disservice to the game as a whole. It's still part of the story. It DOES have a scenario attached to it, doesn't it?

You know, the only book I read in recent time, is the first book of the Tiffany subseries of the Discworld novels.

And I've got to say, it's a really well structured story. Seemingly unimportant details turned out to be part of greater themes. There was no pointless filler to distract from things that were actually important.

And it's merely a children's book. Apparently only kids deserve well crafted entertainment these days...

Anyway, may it be books, movies or... well games. They all exist as a whole. Narrative and gameplay work in Tandem to create an experience.

Filler is still part of this overall experience. Filler might not have the power to affect the plot but it does have the power to drag the whole structure lower.

If this DLC doesn't drag the game down even deeper, it only doesn't because it already hit rock bottom in the first place.

I've got to agree with Vincent on this one. Granted, I had my reservations on some of the designs and (still do, but I'm on the verge of letting it go. Why beat a dead horse?) the DLC, too, but the more people complained about it, the more stupid their reasons became. Considering all the money that FE13 had bought in for the series and future installments, in just the span of a year? I'm surprised people aren't more grateful in that regard, but no, because of an optional level, the series is ruined forever.

As someone who is really unhappy about the current direction of the series... just why would I be grateful for it?

They make money? With the current direction of the series, that just means they can make more even games that I don't want.

Edited by BrightBow

I was wondering when something like this would pop up

May I ask, why are you just now arguing about this?

Seems kinda... late?

I see why you're upset, but, eh. The main story is okay, and the DLC is just fun bonus crap.

But, hey, I'm not stopping you, go ahead, don't buy the game. It's just the complaining that annoys me...

Edited by L95

I was wondering when something like this would pop up

May I ask, why are you just now arguing about this?

Seems kinda... late?

Technically I'm arguing way to early about this, considering I haven't played it yet. It's just that I don't feel like given it the benefit of the doubt anymore. Thier idea of "fanservie" might not ruin the game but by now it definitely has succeeded in consuming my remaining hope for it.

And I'm not sure if it helps but I originally made the post as a response to MajorMAjora above but after all the other responses, I figured it might be better suited as an universal response to the consistent "What could possibly be bad about the DLC?" tone.

Edited by BrightBow

It's also something that wasn't even made until months later, by all indications. So it was a question of either buying it separately or not getting the maps at all. I assume you understand that the way things stand is the best you could possibly ask for.

It was done AFTER development was done.

The loose ends were all tied at least for the purpose of the main story. In essence, think of the DLC like how the Elibian Nights ROM hack is for FE7. You get the backstory that they expanded on. Because really, you didn't need to see the future where the children came from. You really didn't. Your concern was your own world.

I wouldn't be extremely pissed or anything if I didn't see the future, per se, but don't you think it would have added a lot more if I did? Several chapters weren't particularly plot-important (yet were still in the game) to increase game time. I would have rather had these chapters in instead as they're much more relevant. I realize these were made post-release, but I would have liked it if they had time to develop these before releasing the game. It would make me empathize with the children characters a lot more (not to mention the lack of supports and cutscenes children get versus their parents). I also realize sometimes things can't be helped and deadlines are strict, but it's just wishful thinking on my part. I don't feel particularly pleased to pay for important content. For me, background stories matter a lot; they feel integral to the plot in my eyes. I don't think this should have been a post-release thing given the heavy amount of dialogue they included in these maps.

Edited by Keilis

The problem is, there is an infinite amount of content that could be added with enough thought.

Saying 'this DLC is important enough to make the main story' is kinda opening a whole new bag of worms. Really any (Good, non-fanservice DLC) should be high quality enough to 'make the main story'. Then people say it should've been in the game in the first place.

My point is: there has to be a stopping point otherwise the games development increases infinitely. They have to stop somewhere. Release the game to get initial profit, and then they can work past their original restrictions. (Be it money or time)

Edited by L95

The problem is, there is an infinite amount of content that could be added with enough thought.

Saying 'this DLC is important enough to make the main story' is kinda opening a whole new bag of worms. Really any (Good, non-fanservice DLC) should be high quality enough to 'make the main story'. Then people say it should've been in the game in the first place.

My point is: there has to be a stopping point otherwise the games development increases infinitely. They have to stop somewhere. Release the game to get initial profit, and then they can work past their original restrictions. (Be it money or time)

Well, I agree that there should be a limit somewhere, of course. Everyone's got their own opinion of what's important enough to be in the game and what shouldn't be. I'm just expressing my own: the children's character development should have been deemed important enough to be included in the game, given that they have so little dialogue (both cutscenes and supports) in the cartridge. But IS obviously didn't think so, so it's my loss. To each his own. -shrug-

Easy solution: sequel/prequel. But alas, the DLC doesn't have enough content for a full sequel. (And sequels can be pretty bad sometimes.)

A few months/half a year ago, I agreed completely with what BrightBow said; some of the OA's made me facepalm because of the fanservice (not to mention the DLC art and the beach DLC chapter). And then reading fan-translated supports gives you a look at how anime-like some characters and situations are... It's a bit disheartening to see pop-culture invade one of your favorite series. I like anime, but I like what the Fire Emblem games have been like. The anime-influence is so...childish. And unimaginative.

But, it is what it is. Time heals most wounds and I, for one, have pretty much settled into a neutral viewpoint nowadays. ....Honestly, the beach DLC made me giggle. x3

As for time travel shenanigans, it is a super-lazy plot device that allows too much to inexplicably happen and ends up messing things up. I can put up with it, though, unlike horribly done retcon.

And for this already completely broken concept of a story, they even brought back Mister Fire Emblem himself. And gave him a promotion from Star Lord to Time Lord, apparently.

May I inquire as to what you mean by this? If it's regarding Masked Marth, then......

The whole thing is just salt on an already open wound because it just so happens, that it's painfully consistent with the main game in it's ridiculousness.

Let's see if I can't explain my point of view.

Character designs that go from silly to offensive and dialogue heard a thousand times in the cheesiest of animes. And while they were on it, they took the habit of these shows to define characters by overblown quirks because three-dimensional characters are apparently too boring.

First of all, you're going on the reoccurring prejudice that because something is cliche, it's bad. This isn't true. Things that are cliche are just as developed as any other base for a character of the same level of detail. They cliches, in my opinion, is to take them and change their details, making them something that (in execution, not design) is original. This is what this game does. Maybe not to the same extent as other games, but it is acceptable due to the thirt-something characters this game works with.

Also, yes, these characters are defined by their quirks. All characters start that way. What makes them detailed is how they are executed. How they act when put in scenarios. Almost every character in this game has a slew of support conversations adding backstory, character development, and other such spices that make for a 3-dimensional character.

And of course, a ridiculous time travel story. They only work in the rarest cases, because Time Travel breaks pretty much any scenario.

As a result, they usually have ridiculous holes attached to it and I don't see how this one could be one of the few which actually work.

Yeah, a lot of people have mentioned story holes in this game, but think about it. This isn't a movie, or a book. It doesn't rely on story as much as they do. Some plot holes in it don't matter that much, and what matters in the long run is if the story is exciting and comprehensible. Also, just because you aren't a fan of time travel plots doesn't mean no one else does.

And this DLC here? Still a disservice to the game as a whole. It's still part of the story. It DOES have a scenario attached to it, doesn't it?

First of all, that time lord joke was pretty funny. Props to that.

Secondly, you don't seem to understand something. DLC isn't part of the story. Yes, it has A story, but so does fan fiction. That doesn't mean it's Canon. If you think it's a disservice, deny it's existence. it's not like it's a required part of the game. This is like complaining about how a glitch in the game, when abused, can let you skip a portion of it. You can just ignore it if you want to.

You know, the only book I read in recent time, is the first book of the Tiffany subseries of the Discworld novels.

And I've got to say, it's a really well structured story. Seemingly unimportant details turned out to be part of greater themes. There was no pointless filler to distract from things that were actually important.

And it's merely a children's book. Apparently only kids deserve well crafted entertainment these days...

Props to the author.

Anyway, may it be books, movies or... well games. They all exist as a whole. Narrative and gameplay work in Tandem to create an experience.

Filler is still part of this overall experience. Filler might not have the power to affect the plot but it does have the power to drag the whole structure lower.

If this DLC doesn't drag the game down even deeper, it only doesn't because it already hit rock bottom in the first place.

Too bad the thing you're complaining about isn't even part of the overall experience.

As someone who is really unhappy about the current direction of the series... just why would I be grateful for it?

They make money? With the current direction of the series, that just means they can make more even games that I don't want.

That they make more money, creating supply and demand, encouraging them to make more copies of the series. It's called capitalism.